Consoles Have Just Become Shitty PCs

Consoles are becoming more like PCs but they don't approach the level of versatility and customization of a PC. They are also woefully under powered compared to middle of the road PC hardware these days.

They also don't have to worry about viruses, "be online or it doesn't work" DRM, and poorly made console ports, or your wife/girlfriend/mother/etc kicking you off because they wants to get on facebook or shop online when you're playing team fortress.

They both have their positives and negatives and I think just saying "they're turning into underpowered PCs" simplifies the matter too much and focuses on the negatives rather than the positive aspects to that development.

Consoles allowing patches, adding onboard storage, having more media functions, and some of the other things they've taken from PC gaming are a good thing. Better than being stuck with a broken game.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Are you blind?

I didn't reuse a single part to come out to the price I did.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why you feel the need to lead with an insult, but when I say "a lot of PC gamers" it's obvious that I'm making a general statement and not singling you out.

Furthermore, you made the claim that you could build a good gaming PC for around $500 and your example doesn't show that. Even if you dropped the solid state drive, you've spent $540 (after rebates) for a computer with no operating system (another $70 there at least), a piece of shit mouse and keyboard, and no controller (~$40, optional depending on the games you want to play).

My intention was never to pick on you or your post specifically, just to make a point in general as I've seen similar comments from PC gamers on various forums. PC gaming is a much different experience between the better graphics, mods, and the ability to be much more than just a gaming machine among other things. So even though it shares a lot of games with the console world, I never saw the need to attempt to make it appear competitive with consoles on the price aspect.

But you can use a PC for just more than gaming. Just look at you now. You probably just typed this up with a computer.

You can literally build an amazing gaming rig for about $500, whose video you can output right to your 1080p HDTV, that'll be able to play the newest games for the next five years without hassle. Furthermore, once you've built your own rig, it's only another $200 to update your rig to the current generation with a new video card five years from now.

You can also use your 360 controller with a lot of the more prominent games today like Dues Ex, Dead Island, and Bastion.

And apart from that, the pricing is unbeatable. You'll end up spending at least three times as much for even the cheapest of console games due to digital distribution on the PC. In the end those costs really add up.

Just look at this weekend's Steam sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11661/

That's 79 games for 79.99$. Regardless of whether you want any of those games, that pricing is unheard of in actual retail outlets. When is the last time Gamestop dropped their price by 86% for anything? Virtua Tennis 4 alone costs $49.99 for the 360 at Gamestop. And that's just this weekend. Steam, along with Good Old Games, GamersGate, and others, have insane deals going on at all that times that I'm frankly not that interested in buying anything on a console anymore apart from the exclusives (Uncharted 3).

Even getting a $20 credit on a $59.99 purchase for a six hour game is too much for me now. I'd rather wait a couple of months and see the price drop by 50% on Steam and work through my backlog in the mean time.

I honestly think it's cool that you are devoted to PC gaming and you really enjoy your PC building hobby.

But let's look at this as a whole:

Price: You're paying $500 for a PC when I can go out today and spend $250 for a brand new console.

Effort: I walk into Bestbuy, plunk down the change, plug it in and go. You have to do a little research, order all the parts online, wait for them to ship, and put them together.

Also while Steam does put up nice deals, on the flip side most of my games have resale value. Also I hate to admit it but I don't have time to wade through all the cheap games on Steam looking for the diamond in the rough, I just find that it's alot easier to keep track of the upcoming AAA titles in the console world, for a busy professional the consoles sure make it easy to separate out the wheat from the chaff.

Finally it's a bit silly to say that pc gaming is cheaper and easier then consoles. If that were truly the case then people would be flocking to PCs in droves.

[quote name='blindinglights']I don't know why you feel the need to lead with an insult, but when I say "a lot of PC gamers" it's obvious that I'm making a general statement and not singling you out.

Furthermore, you made the claim that you could build a good gaming PC for around $500 and your example doesn't show that. Even if you dropped the solid state drive, you've spent $540 (after rebates) for a computer with no operating system (another $70 there at least), a piece of shit mouse and keyboard, and no controller (~$40, optional depending on the games you want to play).

My intention was never to pick on you or your post specifically, just to make a point in general as I've seen similar comments from PC gamers on various forums. PC gaming is a much different experience between the better graphics, mods, and the ability to be much more than just a gaming machine among other things. So even though it shares a lot of games with the console world, I never saw the need to attempt to make it appear competitive with consoles on the price aspect.[/QUOTE]

Are you judging a PC build by it's keyboard?

That's why I asked if you were blind.

You are also blind by the fact that you're ignoring that I put parts together without consideration of actual sales and deals. Forget that deal about the processor with the 50$ GC?

As another example: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&vpn=N460GTX HAWK&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar&promoid=1367

The same video card from the previous build now runs $99.99 on this other site. You can take another 70$ off the price tag from the previous build.

Total purchase price (With SSD & OS): $532.86
Total purchase price (Without SSD): $492.86

You're ignorant at best and spreading misinformation at worst.

I've met my claim head on. You're whining about a keyboard? Meh. I think you're grasping at straws.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ansé Solis']PC game sales are slated to outpace console sales in about three years.

Evidence: http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1196429p1.html[/QUOTE]

that's SO much bullshit. Nvidia, a company with a 100% investment in the strength of the PC games industry and 0% investment in the console one, provides some bullshit graphs where PC gaming software increases between now and 2015, and somehow console software sales decrease dramatically in that same time period, without any reasoning or logic to it.

Yeah, you're a PC gaming fanboy.

nvidia_trends_01_1316858643.jpg

Most of us learned in grade school how to read bullshit graphs and see when they made no sense. I'm sure Sony could provide you with some real fancy looking graphs about how the PS3 was suppossed to overtake the other two consoles back in 2007 as well.

Plus, no amount of ease of use or cheapness of hardware is going to make that PC you built play Gears of War 3, or Red Dead Redemption, or El Shaddai, or Resistance 3, or Uncharted 3, or Catherine, or the other dozens of titles coming out this holiday that aren't appearing on PC. People who want those games will get a console. PC sees its fair share of exclusives but when you start arguing about that its all about opinions and preferences. Everybody decides for themselves.

Come on dude, consoles and PCs both have their advantages but you're just playing the part of PC cheerleader here. Nobody needs you to "educate" them.

[quote name='camoor']I honestly think it's cool that you are devoted to PC gaming and you really enjoy your PC building hobby.

But let's look at this as a whole:

Price: You're paying $500 for a PC when I can go out today and spend $250 for a brand new console.

Effort: I walk into Bestbuy, plunk down the change, plug it in and go. You have to do a little research, order all the parts online, wait for them to ship, and put them together.

Also while Steam does put up nice deals, on the flip side most of my games have resale value. Also I hate to admit it but I don't have time to wade through all the cheap games on Steam looking for the diamond in the rough, I just find that it's alot easier to keep track of the upcoming AAA titles in the console world, for a busy professional the consoles sure make it easy to separate out the wheat from the chaff.

Finally it's a bit silly to say that pc gaming is cheaper and easier then consoles. If that were truly the case then people would be flocking to PCs in droves.[/QUOTE]
I mean, yeah, you can spend 250 now, but there was a time where it was more then 250.:) I agree, the PC definitely has a learning curve, but it's not as steep as people make it out to be. I can definitely say I save a ton more money on pc games then I would on console games, even working out the resale value for console games. To each their own though.:)

[quote name='Ansé Solis']Are you judging a PC build by it's keyboard?

That's why I asked if you were blind.

You are also blind by the fact that you're ignoring that I put parts together without consideration of actual sales and deals. Forget that deal about the processor with the 50$ GC?

As another example: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&vpn=N460GTX HAWK&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar&promoid=1367

The same video card from the previous build now runs $99.99 on this other site. You can take another 70$ off the price tag from the previous build.

Total purchase price (With SSD & OS): $532.86
Total purchase price (Without SSD): $492.86

You're ignorant at best and spreading misinformation at worst.

I've met my claim head on. You're whining about a keyboard? Meh. I think you're grasping at straws.
[/QUOTE]

I'm pointing out that you are missing various things and seriously skimping on others. I did not judge a build solely on the keyboard, it was merely one of the things I pointed out. You can blow it way out of proportion as much as you want in an attempt to make a comment about crappy input devices seem silly, but I highly doubt someone who wants to play games on PC would want input devices that are the equivalent to what you would buy at the Dollar Store.

I would also think that someone who was building a new computer wouldn't want to skimp and get the most basic DVD-ROM drive. I mean for an extra few bucks, you could have at least a DVD burner, but I suppose you have to cut costs wherever you can when you're desperately trying to sound like an internet tough guy.

Let's check your math on your build:

$60 case
$40 hdd
$55 mobo (after rebate)
$100 video card (after rebate)
$17 dvd-rom
$55 power supply
$4 keyboard
$7 mouse
$30 ram
$105 cpu
$40 ssd

$513 without an OS, add $70 for Windows 7 Home Edition makes it $583. Without SSD, $543. If you want to play games that aren't first person shooters, you'll probably want to tack on an extra $40 for an Xbox controller. If you're going to try to sound like an elitist when I'm just having a civil debate, you should at least check your math first.

You say I'm grasping at straws because I've pointed out a few deficiencies in what you've listed, but when I point out the cost you say "but but but there's deals!". Right.

There's no point in keeping this going. You'll likely go back and find various deals or shittier hardware to inch the price down further and further so you can prove to me that I'm such a terribly wrong and ignorant person. Feel free to do that, I wont respond anymore so you can just win by default. Congratulations.

I just wanted to point out that you will read lots of posts on the internet that say "you can get into pc gaming with however many dollars and it doesn't cost too much more than consoles!" but lots of times when that magical low cost gaming rig is requested, it either relies on skimping various little things or assuming you already own certain parts. Thanks for proving my point.

PC GAMING MASTER RACE GRAAAARGAHRGAJHEGRFEWAHGF

I'm probably gonna take my sweet-ass time getting in to the next console generation, is what I'm saying.
[quote name='blindinglights']I haven't looked at building a new computer in a long time because mine is still doing it's job even though I built it in 2004, but can you really build an "amazing" one from scratch for under $500 or are you doing what a lot of PC Gamers love to do and forgetting to add in the "if you reuse your current case, power supply, hard drive, mouse, and keyboard" at the end of that statement?[/QUOTE]
Don't forget monitor price. If you don't already have one, those things can be fucking expensive. Though if I was feeling pissy, I'd argue that then you'd have to tack on the price of your TV to the price of the console (and let's not forget to add your electical bill to both options). If anyone is interested in building a PC but feels a little... overwheled, I recommend this easy-and-fairly-comprehensive guide to buying shit (big-ass image; right click and "view image" to get a better look at it):

guideuc.png

Also, a cheap-ass keyboard and mouse work fucking beautifully for anything you or I need to do. We aren't JangBi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3OQJKlbOuI

(Now that JangBi's broken his slump, I am legally obligated to post videos of him any time I see kainzero in a thread.)

[quote name='camoor']Price: You're paying $500 for a PC when I can go out today and spend $250 for a brand new console.[/QUOTE]
No, no you can not.

You can spend $500 (or more or less or whatever the fuck you want) for a PC composed of parts of various ages, or go out today and spend $250 for a five or six year old console.

Besides that, part of the pro-PC super awesome fun times smiling dolphin argument is that, while the initial investment is often higher, you'll get a machine that does better longer than a console, and that can be upgraded for far less than the price of the next generation of console.

[quote name='camoor']Also while Steam does put up nice deals, on the flip side most of my games have resale value. Also I hate to admit it but I don't have time to wade through all the cheap games on Steam looking for the diamond in the rough, I just find that it's alot easier to keep track of the upcoming AAA titles in the console world, for a busy professional the consoles sure make it easy to separate out the wheat from the chaff.[/QUOTE]
Well, you could just get the upcoming AAA title in the PC world. They're generally a bit cheaper, too, though you'll be handicapping yourself (or cutting your legs off entirely) in some genres. Hope you like RTS', FPS', and WRPGs, fuckers.

[quote name='camoor']Finally it's a bit silly to say that pc gaming is cheaper and easier then consoles. If that were truly the case then people would be flocking to PCs in droves.[/QUOTE]
Cheaper, sure, it can be. Easier, generally no. Unless you've got a lot of cash to burn on a pre-built machine, you're either going to be sacrificing performance or time. I'm more than willing to give up a little bit of the latter, and I'd advise anyone to do so.

'Course, if you don't, that's really not anything I can fault you on. I'll inevitably end up with the next Nintendo console at some point because I'm a fucking whore for Metroid and Zelda and Fire Emblem, anyway.

Now, how 'bout one more of the Almighty Dragon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGhfuvd9DTM

Seriously, I had counted him out ages ago. fuck yeah bandwagon jumping.

[quote name='jer7583']They also don't have to worry about viruses, "be online or it doesn't work" DRM, and poorly made console ports, or your wife/girlfriend/mother/etc kicking you off because they wants to get on facebook or shop online when you're playing team fortress.[/QUOTE]
viruses: aren't there hacks out there that can screw up your xbox or get your xbox live banned (because the hack is automatically downloaded and ms assumes you hack too) that are downloaded when you join a multiplayer game like cod?

facebook/shop online: didn't the 360 integrate facebook? and i think the ps3 and the wii both have internet browsers so technically they could do those.

ironically they do have to deal with poorly made pc ports. like the aforementioned TF2. =)

i'm also convinced that online-or-else crash DRM is on par with the anti-used gaming crusade we have with the psp go's non-transferrable library and capcom's undeletable saves. they're both amazingly shitty.

[quote name='jer7583']Consoles allowing patches, adding onboard storage, having more media functions, and some of the other things they've taken from PC gaming are a good thing. Better than being stuck with a broken game.[/QUOTE]
how many ps2 / gc / xbox-era games do you remember that were completely broken on release and needed a patch?

or, scratch that, how many ps2 / gc / xbox-era games do you recall that would've benefited from a patch?

(to be honest, i don't recall very many games in the ps3/360 generation really needing a patch either)

i just honestly agree with the article which is that consoles are trending away from the convenience that they were so good at doing.

the main reason why i play everything, console/pc/handheld/cell phone, is really the quality of the exclusive software available on all systems and that hasn't declined at all, which is why in the end i think this is just a minor issue. if the pc really wants to beat console, they need to get the same games with an earlier release date and with better performance.

[quote name='The Crotch']Also, a cheap-ass keyboard and mouse work fucking beautifully for anything you or I need to do. We aren't JangBi.[/quote]
most BW pros use a Samsung DT-35 (the Korean equivalent of a standard Dell keyboard) and a Logitech Mini (a formerly cheap mouse that is only expensive because they stopped making it, so it's now rare).

Meh. I like playing games on anything. I just can't stand the PC gaming elitist know it alls who think they're better than someone else because they game on PC or think other people are stupid for not playing on PC. People just play what they want, where they want.

Unless its Facebook or smartphone games. fuck those.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']
You can literally build an amazing gaming rig for about $500, whose video you can output right to your 1080p HDTV, that'll be able to play the newest games for the next five years without hassle. Furthermore, once you've built your own rig, it's only another $200 to update your rig to the current generation with a new video card five years from now.
[/QUOTE]

I often here the just need to upgrade video card argument. 5 years ago you were probably running a pentium 4. Can you stick a $200 video card in that and play new games? And if you can, do you expect them to look better than the graphics on a PS3 or Xbox360, or are you going to have to turn the graphics down? If you need a new CPU, odds are you'll need a new motherboard, RAM, PSU.

[quote name='blindinglights']You say I'm grasping at straws because I've pointed out a few deficiencies in what you've listed, but when I point out the cost you say "but but but there's deals!". Right.[/quote]

Now you're arguing that you're going to come to a site like cheapassgamers, and NOT think that deals are acceptable? Your logic is blithering and laughable. I pray your children are burdened by elephantitis of the brain so they're not weighed down by the faulty DNA of their old man.

I just wanted to point out that you will read lots of posts on the internet that say "you can get into pc gaming with however many dollars and it doesn't cost too much more than consoles!" but lots of times when that magical low cost gaming rig is requested, it either relies on skimping various little things or assuming you already own certain parts. Thanks for proving my point.

Bah, more misinformation.

You came in here with your mind made up. That's all there is to it. Pray tell, what have I skimped on? Your numbers forgot to take into account the deal that was JUST had by my best friend so please take off another $50 for the case as he got his for free with 8$ left over.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I often here the just need to upgrade video card argument. 5 years ago you were probably running a pentium 4. Can you stick a $200 video card in that and play new games? And if you can, do you expect them to look better than the graphics on a PS3 or Xbox360, or are you going to have to turn the graphics down? If you need a new CPU, odds are you'll need a new motherboard, RAM, PSU.[/QUOTE]

I was running an E6400 from my PC from four years ago. Dual-core. I could stick in a GTX 580 if I so choose and could play new games. My card for that build was a 8800 that could run Mass Effect 2 at full settings, along with various other new games at resolutions higher than the 360 and PS3 currently offer (my HDTV handles a resolution of 1680 x 1050).

My 8800 ran games at higher quality than the 360 and PS3. You won't need to turn the graphics down as much you will eventually hit a CPU bottleneck, which specifically happens with games like Call of Duty where the GPU is too powerful but the CPU isn't powerful enough and so you run into a bottleneck.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't forget monitor price.[/quote]

Connect to your HDTV for your gaming needs. It's what I do and I don't feel like I'm cutting corners. Most new videocards come with HDMI out ports.

[quote name='The Crotch']Don't forget monitor price.[/quote]

Connect to your HDTV for your gaming needs. It's what I do and I don't feel like I'm cutting corners. Most new videocards come with HDMI out ports.

[quote name='The Crotch']Cheaper, sure, it can be. Easier, generally no. Unless you've got a lot of cash to burn on a pre-built machine, you're either going to be sacrificing performance or time. I'm more than willing to give up a little bit of the latter, and I'd advise anyone to do so.[/QUOTE]

I've considered doing a build before, but unless you going top of the line gaming, I can't see how you'd save much money over pre-built (unless you include future upgradability). I quick search shows I could get an XPS 8300 with i5-2300, 6 gig ram, 1 tb harddive, dvd-burner, win 7 home (without monitor) for $415 (with my 20% off dell outlet coupon which I seem to get every couple of months). If your more particular on wanting more power, I guess this wouldn't work, but I have a hard time justifying putting in the time/effort to put a computer together if I can get a decent one that cheap. And I generally like replacing my whole machine at the end of 5 years rather than piecemeal replacing items. I've tried that in the past, and I've found the CPU to be a bottleneck when you go that far out, which means slapping on a new GPU doesn't significantly increase the life of the PC.

[quote name='Ansé Solis']I was running an E6400 from my PC from four years ago. Dual-core. I could stick in a GTX 580 if I so choose and could play new games. My card for that build was a 8800 that could run Mass Effect 2 at full settings, along with various other new games at resolutions higher than the 360 and PS3 currently offer (my HDTV handles a resolution of 1680 x 1050).
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but I'd say you were lucky with the timing on the upgrade since if you did go back a year to the P4 you'd be outta luck on anything new.

Also, can't seem to find internet pricing for 4 years ago, but it seems to me an E6400/8800 wouldn't be budget line. Which is what your arguing that a $500 computer will only need a new GPU in 5 years to be good for 8-10 years.

[quote name='jer7583']Unless its Facebook or smartphone games. fuck those.[/QUOTE]
smartphone games can actually be really good, though i hate all those games where you have to invite your friends so you can get extra bonus points to buy broken items. yes, fuck those.

facebook games, fuck those too

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']Fair enough, but I'd say you were lucky with the timing on the upgrade since if you did go back a year to the P4 you'd be outta luck on anything new.

Also, can't seem to find internet pricing for 4 years ago, but it seems to me an E6400/8800 wouldn't be budget line. Which is what your arguing that a $500 computer will only need a new GPU in 5 years to be good for 8-10 years.[/QUOTE]

What's happened in the last three years is that due to success of consoles, there has been an artificial limit implemented on the development side of how much investment and scalable optimization is put into games for the people with extremely high-end graphics cards.

Although you can push for higher end resolutions, anti-aliasing, and what not, console development has been criticized for curtailing PC development and this has theoretically resulted in the software end of things keeping the hardware from becoming outdated at the pace of previous years.

More than that, over the last number of years, good hardware has become cheaper and cheaper to afford and it's primarily the reason one can now get a relatively mediocre new laptop for no more than $240. God it's not even Black Friday yet!

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/589...6-lcd-1366x768-dvdrw-wifi-n-6-cell-win-7-prem

The truth is that it's become harder than ever for your hardware to become as outdated in as quick of a time as it has been in previous years. Partially due to software not progressing as quickly as in previous decades and partially due to the refinement of the hardware itself.

Listen my argument has never been that everyone should go and build a PC this instant and throw their console to the wayside. My passions are simply aimed at distilling the misinformation that comes from those less informed. The fact is that eventually everyone will need to upgrade from their current rig. When this time comes, I very highly suggest people build their next PC. My next post explains why.

[quote name='smallsharkbigbite']I've considered doing a build before, but unless you going top of the line gaming, I can't see how you'd save much money over pre-built (unless you include future upgradability). I quick search shows I could get an XPS 8300 with i5-2300, 6 gig ram, 1 tb harddive, dvd-burner, win 7 home (without monitor) for $415 (with my 20% off dell outlet coupon which I seem to get every couple of months). If your more particular on wanting more power, I guess this wouldn't work, but I have a hard time justifying putting in the time/effort to put a computer together if I can get a decent one that cheap. And I generally like replacing my whole machine at the end of 5 years rather than piecemeal replacing items. I've tried that in the past, and I've found the CPU to be a bottleneck when you go that far out, which means slapping on a new GPU doesn't significantly increase the life of the PC.[/QUOTE]

$415 is a pretty good price, but I'm looking at the 8300 and you're buying a practically non-working video card. The cheapest iteration comes with the Raedon 6450, which review sites don't even bother to test with games because it's so substandard.

Instead of finding the cheapest PC and buying it based on price, I'd very much suggest buying based on value because you'd be paying $415 for a system whose 3D capabilities are fundamentally broken and you wouldn't be getting your money's worth.

My build with a GTX 460 comes out to be roughly 490$, and it would run literally every single game on the market at 1080p.

When any of you are ready to drop nearly half a grand or more on a new PC, if you do a part vs. part comparison, building your own PC will ALWAYS come out to be cheaper in terms of what you pay vs. what you get.

He may be a crazy PC fanboy, but I won't argue with his PC build cost numbers and such. He's pretty much right.

Not many PC games outside of simulations or RTS games have big demands on your CPU these days. Graphics card and RAM are more important than how fast your CPU is.

I'm just saying consoles becoming more like PCs isn't a bad thing. Playing games on PC is awesome. Getting some of those benefits on a standardized hardware platform is a good thing.

And you still can't play Gears of War 3 or Uncharted 3 on a PC. Nor can you play Starcraft 2 or World of Warcraft on a console. The games are more important than graphics, price, whatever reasoning. You get a system to play the games on it. Any other reasons don't make sense.

[quote name='The Crotch']No, no you can not.

You can spend $500 (or more or less or whatever the fuck you want) for a PC composed of parts of various ages, or go out today and spend $250 for a five or six year old console.

Besides that, part of the pro-PC super awesome fun times smiling dolphin argument is that, while the initial investment is often higher, you'll get a machine that does better longer than a console, and that can be upgraded for far less than the price of the next generation of console.[/QUOTE]

This is all my opinion:

I still have my first slim PS3 and it works fine. If I need to write an excel spreadsheet I'll use my PC, but I end up using my PS3 for photos, music, and movies way more then I ever thought I would. Plus it's super sweet that I can use the wireless controller to do everything (I'm sure that's possible on PCs too but I don't want to spend the time/money to figure out how).

You make fair points about price but for me and the way I like things the PS3 is just what I want and is therefore a more attractive price tag out of the box.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well, you could just get the upcoming AAA title in the PC world. They're generally a bit cheaper, too, though you'll be handicapping yourself (or cutting your legs off entirely) in some genres. Hope you like RTS', FPS', and WRPGs, fuckers.

Cheaper, sure, it can be. Easier, generally no. Unless you've got a lot of cash to burn on a pre-built machine, you're either going to be sacrificing performance or time. I'm more than willing to give up a little bit of the latter, and I'd advise anyone to do so.

'Course, if you don't, that's really not anything I can fault you on. I'll inevitably end up with the next Nintendo console at some point because I'm a fucking whore for Metroid and Zelda and Fire Emblem, anyway.
[/QUOTE]

And this is another matter of opinion, but playing games on PC with a keyboard just feels like work to me. Once you get used to teh controls, console gaming is pure fun. If I was still into RTS I would probably be into PCs but I lost way too much of my life on those games already. :lol:

[quote name='camoor']This is all my opinion:

I still have my first slim PS3 and it works fine. If I need to write an excel spreadsheet I'll use my PC, but I end up using my PS3 for photos, music, and movies way more then I ever thought I would. Plus it's super sweet that I can use the wireless controller to do everything (I'm sure that's possible on PCs too but I don't want to spend the time/money to figure out how).

You make fair points about price but for me and the way I like things the PS3 is just what I want and is therefore a more attractive price tag out of the box.

And this is another matter of opinion, but playing games on PC with a keyboard just feels like work to me. Once you get used to teh controls, console gaming is pure fun. If I was still into RTS I would probably be into PCs but I lost way too much of my life on those games already. :lol:[/QUOTE]

How old are you?

I also want to suggest that there's going to be a huge upturn in PC development and exclusives in the next three or four years due to game engines like Unity, UDK, and now CryEngine going free to develop.

I know a lot of gamers don't care about these things from the development end, but it makes a huge difference to people who want to get involved in making games. Why do you think there has been such a huge turnout on mobile? As these tools progress and game engines make it easier than ever to develop a game, you can expect more "indie" projects like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

Yeah, Hawken was a big surprise for me and since the next Mechwarrior that was teased over two years ago has gone off the radar, I'm pretty excited for this one.

what begins?

NIS begins to realize that the PS3 isn't all that popular in north america, and they could make about twice as much money by porting their games to Xbox 360 and Steam?

Clan of Champions (Gladiator Versus in Japan) is a PlayStation 3 exclusive in Japan, but here the game will also be an Xbox 360 title as well as available through Steam on PC, thans to NIS America. Wait, Steam? Nippon Ichi? And there's more coming beyond this title, it seems.

I'm just curious about what it is you believe is "beginning" here. It's cool that they're able to put their games on more platforms. They probably were limited to PS2 only in the past because PS2 was such a market juggernaut worldwide. PC gaming and 360 gaming are a much bigger deal in NA, so it makes total sense to pursue those markets going forward.

I love gaming on my PC.

That being said, who gives a shit if consoles are downgraded PCs? Just play what you want to play on whatever you want to play it on.

bread's done
Back