Construction worker, 15, dies in hot asphalt

eswat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4204174p-4796175c.html

What a horrible way to die, and the paving company is really going to get it. Not only did they let a kid into a construction site (16 years + a provincial permit is the legal minimum requirement), but judging from a TV report they were actually doing their business on private property.

A 15-year-old boy, working construction at a Stony Mountain site, died after he was buried in hot asphalt late this morning.

Richard Hill helped dig out worker buried in the asphalt (Seen with wife Marlene.) (Ken Gigliotti / Winnipeg Free Press )

RCMP say the youth was working for a paving company which was doing road repairs at the time. Still early in the investigation, it appears he was helping unload a truck when he was buried beneath a large amount of asphalt.

His name is being withheld at the request of his family.

Officials with Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health are also investigating.

Stony Mountain/Rockwood fire chief Wallace Drysdale said emergency crews arrived at the old Manitoba Hydro substation at 66 Vincent Rd. minutes after being notified of the accident, at around 10:55 a.m.

"There was a young man buried completely up to his hair in hot asphalt," he said.

"Drysdale said a construction company, Interlake Asphalt, had been dumping a trailer full of asphalt into a massive pile to use for various projects around town.

"He'd been standing behind the truck, from what we gather, and the load dumped on him. It knocked him over,” he said of the victim. "You could just see some of his hair sticking out of the asphalt. Some tried to dig by hand too, so they were burning their hands trying to do it."

Drysdale said crews knew the man was dead immediately after arriving, and had to dig to extricate his body.

"In a case like this, when you're buried that deep, whether it's asphalt or not, you’re usually deceased," he said, adding it's impossible to breathe with so much pressure.

"It's horrible,” he said. "Especially this guy. He s pretty young.”

Two other workers suffered burns to their hands while trying to dig the man out.

Richard Hill of Stony Mountain said he was in his driveway loading up his truck "when I heard screaming 'Help, help.'

"I ran through the backyard and saw one guy running with a shovel saying 'he's buried.' I looked around for a shovel and ran over and began shovelling.

"We got down to his hair. It was salt and pepper, but there was just no movement. No movement at all.

"It was so hot my boots were burning because of the asphalt and I burned my hand. It's burning a bit, but it's nothing major.

Two other men were with Hill, including one who phoned 911.

Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health has sent an investigator.

It sucks that someone so young had an accidental death, but it's possible he didn't suffer as much as it may seem. I think it'd probably be worse to just burn to death.

[quote name='Koggit']It sucks that someone so young had an accidental death, but it's possible he didn't suffer as much as it may seem. I think it'd probably be worse to just burn to death.[/QUOTE]

I agree, although it still has to suck either way.

Question, how the fuck did no one see him behind the truck before they dumped the hot asphalt? Also didn't he have enough smarts to know when they were dumping it and move?

Not to add to this grisly conversation but burning to death is not as bad as it sounds. Once the nerve endings in the skin are burnt away, you can't feel any pain.

A very tragic death for this young man.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, how the fuck did no one see him behind the truck before they dumped the hot asphalt? Also didn't he have enough smarts to know when they were dumping it and move?[/quote]
Yeah, the operator of the truck should have noticed.

As far as the kid goes, he was 15. Odds are pretty good he wasn't sufficiently trained for proper safety procedures. That's what happens when companies make bad decisions regarding safety and labor laws...

Is 15 really that big of a deal?

I know my brother was working (building shooting targets) at 16 for a friend of family and one of my friends lost a thumb at 17 while doing A/C work.

[quote name='Sporadic']Is 15 really that big of a deal?

I know my brother was working (building shooting targets) at 16 for a friend of family and one of my friends lost a thumb at 17 while doing A/C work.[/quote]I'm not sure in the US, but people under 16 can't legally work in construction in the first place here. So yeah, it's a big deal.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Also didn't he have enough smarts to know when they were dumping it and move?[/quote]

Considering he is now dead from being burried up to his hair in asphalt, my guess is no.

That sucks. I pray for his family.

I do labor law research and I'm fairly sure that 15 is the minimum age required by ILO conventions. I believe construction work falls into the "worst forms of child labor" category, though, which typically mandates that they be a bit older than that.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, how the fuck did no one see him behind the truck before they dumped the hot asphalt? Also didn't he have enough smarts to know when they were dumping it and move?[/QUOTE]

I've done construction for awhile so i'll answer this, those trucks have blinds spots like mad, it is quite literally impossible to see directly behind the truck . What keeps more accidents like that from happening is just common sense. You see them doing something, you move the hell out of the way. Shit still happens though and I wouldn't want to go the way he did, pain or not.

I'm not really sure but I think you die from exhaustion when burnt. If you survive,you go to the hospital and die there a couple days after because your body's water was burnt.Not really sure though.

Who the fuck just dumps asphalt out? You make enough for each job, if you dump it into a pile it will start to set.

I hope everyone at the company goes to jail for a very long time.

I did this sort of work when I was 19-20 during the summers for a small town. Our guys always drove to a neighboring city, got loaded, and drove back. If they were doing road work on a highway or paving a town's roads, they needed a lot of asphalt and numerous trucks. Possibly, the truck wasn't latched properly or the driver tilted the dump too far back and everything came rushing out at once. You don't have much time to get out of its way, if its all coming at you. Kid probably thought OH SHIT and that was it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I hope everyone at the company goes to jail for a very long time.[/QUOTE]

Do you actually?

I mean, really?

bread's done
Back