CONTEST: Win CheapyD's Games! [Last Day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Holy shit, I'm moving to Tokyo in three weeks!
There's no way I can bring all my stuff with me, so one lucky CAG is going to win 30+ games and a bunch of shwag (E3, TGS, etc.).

Simply post in this thread for a chance to win.
You must post something about Japan, winning my games, or what you would like to see me do (for your amusement) once I am living in Tokyo.

You may post as often as you wish, but that WILL NOT increase your chance of winning. One account/entry per person. You must be over 18 (or have your parents permission upon winning to receive M rated games) and in the continental US to be eligible to win. Winner will be chosen at random. Contest ends on or about 10/24/05.

Why am I moving to Japan?
Mrs. CheapyD got a great job and it requires us to move to Tokyo. Its basically an offer we can't refuse. I will still be able to run CAG from Japan and now I will be able to work on CAG full time. You can also likely expect new additions/features and possibly a new CAG sister website as I become Your Man In Japan.
Fear not! The focus of CAG will always be cheap video games.

Partial list of stuff (thanks thorbahn3)

Xbox
GTA: San Andreas (hot coffee version)
Deathrow
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
NBA Street 3
Area 51
KOTOR 2
Burnout 3
Brute Force
XIII
Deus Ex: Invisible War (sealed)
Rocky Legends
Ninja Gaiden
Driv3r
Splinter Cell:pT
OXM demo disc (battlefield)
Conker demo disc
Fable (bonus disc)

PS2
Timespitters 2
Socom 2
Spider-Man 2
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
State of Emergency
Onimusha 3
Rachet & Clank 2
Beyond Good and Evil
Madden 04
Tiger Woods 04
NBA Jam
Winning Eleven 7
Champions: Return to Arms
Karaoke Revolution
NHL Hitz Pro
Simpsons Hit & Run
Frequency
Twisted Metal: Black
MGS: 2 document
Shadow of the Colussus demo
Genji demo
Multitap
Microcon controller

Gamecube
Waverace (disc only)
Mario Party 5 (disc only)

PS1
Castlevania: SOTN (sealed)

Shwag, etc...
CAG t-shirt
CheapyD's Winning Eleven jersey worn on Cold Pizza
CAG business card sized flyers
Metal Gear Solid booklet (TGS 2005)
Xbox 360 brouchure (TGS 2005)
Atari demo disc (TGS 2005)
God of War poster (E3 2005)
Assorted Nintendo buttons (E3 2005)

A young Japanese girl had been taught all of her life that when she married,
she was to please her husband and never upset him.

So the first morning of her honeymoon, when the young Japanese bride crawled
out of bed after making love, she stooped down to pick up her husband's clothes
and let out a big fart.

She looked up and said: "Excuse please, front hole so happy back hole
whistle."

EDIT: This was from the other thread.

Once In Tokyo you should try to gain as much weight as you can in a 3 week period and then devote your life to Sumo wrestling. After mastering that you shuld then create the greatest Sumo wrestling game and make the controller be a giant suit you have to wear and jump around as you play. Good Luck with all of that.

I would love to expand my game collection. I've got all of the systems so I'll take all of the games. I really don't know that I own many of the ones you listed.

While in Japan I do need a favor. As you may or may not know there are a lot of amazing games that get released in Japan and never make it to the United States. As a citizen of the United States who is obsessed with gaming and speaks absolutely no Japanese (yet), I need someone to rally for my cause. My cause of course is getting those games thar we have been missing out on to the United States. This is a huge task, we've been missing out on games since the NES days, but I have faith that you can handle it...by any means necessary....and by any means necessary I mean you need to beg, borrow, steal, get down on your knees and such some Japanese wonder sausageif you have to. Do this one thing for me and me love you long time.

Thank you in advance for the games, both the ones you are rallying for and giving me. Have a good time in Japan.

I WOULD LOVE to see cheapy d eat some squid while it is still alive.
ANd you must make a video of it as well, and once you do, I will hand over the title of "coolest" over to you.

I wish you the best in Japan Cheapy. I really think you're going to like it over there. A old friend of mine went over their for a visit and said the women were all over him. Said since he was an American the women thought he was Tom Cruise or something. I hope to win those games, thanks for the promotion!

Run around the streets of Tokyo asking if people know what happened "That day". Or if they know any Chinese people. Or perhaps if they know where Tom ran off to.

i would love to win your games because
A) I'm a poor college student
2) I love to play video games
and
D) Video Games are expensive!

Nice stash there. Japan's a pretty cool place. I wouldn't mind visiting one day, but I'm not sure that I would want to live there. Best of luck and whatnot.

Japan is an archipelago, including four main islands and over 3,000 small islands stretching over 2,080 kilometers including the main island Honshu, Hokkaido to the north, and Shikoku and Kyushu to the south. The country is narrow, so no point in Japan is more than 95 miles from the seas or ocean. The country is located about 160 kilometers from the mainland [of East Asia, Korea], latitude 36º longitude 138º. Japan is known as “the land of the rising sun” because it appeared to be the easternmost country in the world, on the side from which the sun rose. The characters that make up the Japanese name of Japan, 日本 (Nihon), literally mean “sun base” when separated, reflecting the idea that Japan is the land of the rising sun. This is a unique perception, because most early cultures believed that they were in the center of the world. The Islands of Japan are located in an area known as the Pacific Ring of Fire, in which earthquakes and volcanoes are common, and Japan is affected by around 1,500 earthquakes per year, though the vast majority of the seismic activities are barely noticeable. There are about thirty active volcanoes on the islands of Japan. As a result of these seismic activities, Japan is often pounded by large tidal waves and tsunamis. Because of this, Japan has one of the best natural disaster response plans in the world.
The islands of Japan are relatively young, and were formed relatively violently, and as a result the terrain is very rugged. More then 80% of the land is mountainous, so the flat, fertile lowlands are densely populated. The mountainous areas are usually sparsely populated.
While not the tallest in the world, Japans mountain ranges are very tall, and are mostly uninhabited. The tallest mountain in Japan, Fujiyama, is a dormant volcano rising 3,776 meters above sea level. The mountain ranges run down the middle of the main islands.
Japan has few mineral resources, though it initially had enough resources when it was a nation of farming and fishing people. When Japan industrialized, the need for raw materials skyrocketed. Now Japan must depend on the Middle East for oil and many other countries for iron ore, coal, and other materials. Having no oil resources, Japans economy depends on the stability of the unstable Middle East.
Since Japan is bordered by the Pacific Ocean it experiences the abnormally violent Pacific weather, including a fierce typhoon season from August to October. Aside from that, the climate in Japan is extremely mild, because the warm ocean current causes moderate winter and summer temperatures, and as a result the growing season is very long. Also resulting from Japan’s location (surrounded by water) is the fishing industry. Being an island nation with limited farmland, the fishing industry is one of Japan’s largest industries. Because of this, fish is the main source of protein in the Japanese diet. The lack of farmland does not cause food shortages, though, because farmers take advantage of the climate and often harvest two crops per year, and agricultural engineers are using technology to constantly increase farm productivity, even developing several types of high-yield rice.
The country of Japan consists of nine regions; Hokkaido, Tohoku, Chubu, Kanto, Chugoku, Kansai (a.k.a. Kingi), Shikoku, Kyushu, and Okinawa. Tokyo, the capitol of Japan, is in the Kanto region. The Kanto Plain, one of the largest flat areas in Japan, lies in the Kanto region, which is why it is the most densely populated region in Japan and why the capitol is located there. The northernmost region, Hokkaido, is less populated than the other regions, and has a colder climate. Being less developed than the other regions, Hokkaido attracts many tourists and nature lovers. The Tohoku region, once known for its harsh climate, is now a popular place to go skiing and there are many hot springs. The Chubu region is a very mountainous region, home to Mount Fuji and Nagano, Japan’s winter sports capitol. There are also many natural hot springs in the Chubu region. The Kansai region is home to Japan’s ancient capitol, Kyoto. The Chugoku region is home to Hiroshima, the first city ever to be attacked with an atomic bomb. The Shikoku region is a rural backwater island, but it is mountainous and a good location for hiking. The Kyushu region is the southernmost of Japan’s four main islands, and it has a warmer and more tropical climate than the other islands. Kyushu is home to Nagasaki, the second city to be hit by an atomic bomb. The Okinawa region is an island chain consisting of 57 islands, of which 41 are inhabited. Okinawa has a subtropical climate, and is a popular tourist destination for Japanese people, but not for foreigners.
Much of Japan’s culture has spread throughout the world, for example many forms of Japanese architecture have become popular in America and Europe, and sushi has become a common food in many western countries including America. Japanese animation, called anime, has many fans in every country. The first novel in the world was written in Japan, and became a masterpiece of world literature.
The first settlers of Japan were fishers, hunters, and gatherers who crossed land bridges from Korea in the west and Siberia in the north. From the very beginning Japan’s society was into groups of families called clans. The families were grouped into clans by common ancestors. Early on the belief was established that families inherited their position in society, so each family had a different job within its clan, be it farming, fighting, etc., and that family kept its position for many generations.
The first form of actual government appeared when several clans united and settled the Yamato district, beginning in about A.D. 400. They formed a government and united most of Japan. The leaders of the union, the Tenno clan, claimed to be descended from gods. Eventually, the Tenno became the only ruling dynasty in the history of Japan, and the current emperor is descended from the Tenno clan (though now the emperor and his family have no power, much like the English royal family).
Much of Japanese culture is borrowed from the Chinese. Starting in the 500s, Korean missionaries introduce Buddhism and Chinese culture to Japan. The Japanese quickly adopted Chinese script as their first written language, and sent nobles to China to further study the culture. Japan absorbed almost every aspect of Chinese culture. After the initial excitement about Chinese culture wore off, the Japanese changed to a system of selective borrowing. They adopted the ideas and/or cultural aspects that they liked, such as Buddhism, and rejected those which they did not like, such as the “Mandate of Heaven”. They did, however, adopt the Chinese court system.
The Japanese developed a writing system of their own, because Chinese was not really compatible with spoken Japanese. The characters that make up the Japanese written language are called kana. There are three types of kana; kanji, katakana, and hiragana. Kanji are ideographs, while katakana and hiragana are phonetic alphabets.
Though the emperor was never overthrown, families competed for power at the Heian court (present day Kyoto, it used to be the capitol) during the 800s. Powerful families controlled the land and divided it into private estates, on which peasants worked courtesy of local strongmen. One family, the Fujiwara, acquired more land than others and gained a majority of the power. The Fujiwara family ruled Japan for 200 years, and the emperor remained a figurehead with no real power.
The authority of the Heian court was challenged during the 1100s when strong warrior families, with samurais, fought for control of the land. A new system of government, feudalism, emerged. Feudalism is a form government in which a power is shared between a central government and local landlords. The emperor has the highest rank but had no power other than being used as a figurehead by the real government.
The lowest ranking people in the feudal class were merchants. Serfs were slightly more important; they were bound to the land and their landlord and functioned like slaves. They worked for the landlord and gave him parts of harvests, etc. and in return the landlords offered the serfs protection. The samurai were the extremely loyal warriors that were hired by landlords. Samurais followed a code of conduct called Bushido (way of the warrior) that focused on bravery, loyalty, and honor. They were expected to endure extreme physical hardship without complaint and to not fear death. If they failed in a big way they were expected to kill themselves in ceremonial suicide, or seppuku, by performing hara-kiri (belly slitting).
The lowest ruling class consisted of the daimyo, literally meaning “great names”. The daimyo were local rulers and they also owned the land they ruled. They employed samurai for protection and as enforcers. The daimyo also “owned” the serfs who lived and worked on their land. The daimyo held most of the real power in feudal Japan. As the emperor remained a figurehead, the shogun (general) took control of the government and established a military government.
After being defeated in World War II, Japan recovered and modernized at an amazing rate. Now Japan has one of the most advanced technology industries, a 99.99% literacy rate, and some of the best colleges in the world. Of course, they have not totally modernized. There is little diversity in Japan. Minorities are nearly nonexistent and it is almost impossible for a foreigner to gain Japanese citizenship. Women are discriminated against in the workplace because the traditional views of society still exist. Japans culture is constantly changing as the country continues to modernize.

Yes, I wrote that whole thing myself, no copying.

I would love to win those games. The biggest thing I have ever won in my life was a bag of Twizzlers. I am going to buy an Xbox after the 360 is released, and having an instant library would be totally awesome.

Also, if I win I will become the best behaved CAG ever. I'll do anything, even moderate (though I would rather not...).

I think that while you are in Japan you should buy up all the Final Fantasy soundtracks and then send them to me at a discounted price.

Good luck with the move.

While in Japan, I recommend visiting the hot spring resort town of Amagase, which is in Oita prefecture - the rural south is so often overlooked. Also, if you ever find yourself in Nagasaki, make sure you try the Chanpon. Nagasaki chanpon is the best in Japan.

~ I would like to see you continue to visit and report back on not just the Tokyo Games Show ( as in CAGcast #5 ) but even more of the major video game based events.

~ I would like to see you work with a major Japanese retailer ( similar to how you worked with EBGames ) to get us the Japanese equivalent of cag15 and cag16.

~ I would also like to see your games added to my own! :)

I've studied and appreciated everything about Japan since I was a small boy. Anime, Kirosawa flicks, WWII documentaries, visits to festivals and embassies, EVERYTHING; I'd soak up everything I could about the culture.

Yet everybody else is going over! My sister Becky lives there with her Navy Master Chief husband. My sister Jamie has been there as well. My friends from Anime Weekend Atlanta get to go quite often. Its just not fair!

Hehe, just kidding. Im not whining cause I know better. 12 hours on a plane is the most mindbreaking thing I've ever experienced.

Good luck over there, and be sure to check out the "American Style Restaurants". Its funny to see how they interpret us over there. Also, check out the Sony Showroom. Its where Sony puts all their prototypes on display. If you wanna see technology thats 5-10 years from being seen in the States, theres no place better. Akihabra and Shibuya are great places to hang out and shop for the weird and wild.

One REALLY important thing: Bring PLENTY of towels! For some reason they cost a fortune over there. And the number for 911 over there is 110 for police, and 119 for Ambulance/ Fire. Also, if you plan on going out and meeting people, get your own business cards printed double sided with English and Japanese. Proper introductions are super important over there. A great primer for the wife and yourself to read is "Japanese Business Etiquette: A Practical Guide to Success with the Japanese" by Diana Rowland. It saved my sister from so many social mistakes in a nation that still maintains a rigid social life.

Good luck!

Can't pass up a chance to enter the drawing, and wish CheapyD the best of luck in his new life in Japan.

I look forward to the new improved CAG - now with more Engrish!

Thanks for the contest CheapyD!

If you don't mind my asking, what line of work is your wife in? The way you described it sounds like her skills are high in demand.

Thanks again.

I would like you to go to the following places:

1) Furano Cheese Factory and make some butter
2) Yokohama Curry Museum
3) Suzuhiro Kamaboko (Fishcake) Museum and take a photo with a kamaboko master
4) Instant Ramen Museum
5) Takegawara in Beppu, Oita and get buried in warm sand and a photo of you in an all wood hot tub
6) and the ultimate photo would be of you in a rice paddy. big ass bare feet and all!!!!!

Wow, moving to Japan thats pretty cool, you are one nice person having this contest to win your game collection. And when you get there let them know that the "Tokyo Drift" sceen in the FAST and the Furious 3 was filmed in Hawthorne,CA not in Tokyo.

Thanks ,and good luck over there.

Man, you are just in time to see if Microsoft can win over the hearts of Japanese gamers. This coming year is going to be very exciting for gamers with the big bad rich Microsoft trying to find a way to justify the $4 billion they have lost over the years for the big brick they created. Or will Sony continue to rule.

Keep us updated on this new era. Take care in Japan. I visited there when I was very young. It was pretty awesome. Be sure to check out Taiwan (only a few hours flight) if you get a chance.

Hey CAG. N00b to the forum, but not at all to gaming, or interest in japanese culture.

I imagine you've got a nice long list of things that your readers have suggested you do in Japan.

For my 2 cents, what about reporting on 'western' gaming culture as the Japanese see it? Sort of a 'Gaijin in Gamingland' thing?

Just a thought.

And for what it's worth, if I win the treasure trove of gaming goodies, I'll be keeping them and playing them for years to come!

cheers and good luck !

Congratulations to Mrs. cheapyD! Hope you enjoy Tokyo, and glad to hear that CAG will stay around. Count me in as one who would like to see photo or video journal updates of your time spent in Japan. Some place I would love to go, but don't know if I'll ever make it.

So, all the people in japan are ninjas, right? You should learn how to fly, because ninjas can fly, in Japan. Don't you have to learn the language though? Man, that is awesome, I wanna go to Japan, I might in the summer. But you don't care. Anyhow, congratulations, on you going to Japan-ness.

Well in spite of their being a lot of noobs we hope that they start to post on the forum now and get more into the community...Giving away 30+ some games and some swag to get like 100 more members is somewhat worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back