Costco: Ducktales, Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Talespin Vols $8.99 ea

karkyco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
UPDATE 3/20/2011:

Looks like Costco has been restocked! Either Disney put out another printing, given how fast they sold out last time, or Disney or some supplier still has excess stock.

They had every volume they previously had for $8.99, at the Costco in Venice Beach.

---------------------------------------------

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a large display in the DVD/BluRay section of a ton of the Disney afternoon cartoons of the 80's/90's that many of us love (although the display had already been raided heavily), for $8.99 each. Notably absent were the Gummi Bears :cry:(BOO!!!), which I'll probably just end up getting off of Amazon.

EDIT: confirmed these are the original releases that were on amazon for $24.99-$29.99 each, but now they are each $19.99.

These are volumes with three discs each, 9 episodes per disc so 27 episodes per volume. Already started watching some with my daughter and she loves them...nothing like sharing your childhood with your children. Ducktales...ah -WOOOO-HOOOOO!

Here's what they had (I picked up 1 of each):

DuckTales Vol. 2 and 3 (Vol. 1 was notably absent...not sure if it was just sold out or not available at Costco at all (can someone please confirm if they find Vol. 1?) - but Vol. 2 contains the pilot miniseries anyway.

Darkwing Duck Vol. 1 and 2

Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 and 2

Talespin Vol. 1 and 2

----------------------------------

There were some other cartoon sets that I didn't pick up - Tom & Jerry and some Hanna Barbera sets IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP! Time to go pick up a hot dog and some memories...

"Fire at will!"
"Do not fire at Will, he is my first mate... Fire at the Sea Duck!"

the volume sets are all they released for these shows, no season sets. the volumes may be broken up into season like sets but are not actual season sets.

Awesome Deal picked up everything with the exception of ducktales. To bad disney never finished these sets just like the gargoyles. Thanks op

This seriously made me day! They had all the sets at mine, unfortunately I'm super broke these days (need to get off my ass and really get a job), so I only could afford both Darkwing Duck volumes. Hopefully in the weeks to come these won't run out super fast, and I can pick up the rest.

[quote name='trailmix10']To bad disney never finished these sets just like the gargoyles.[/QUOTE]

...which pisses me off. That really wouldn't cost Disney much to do, and would go a long way towards pleasing the fans, and assuring new ones.

Man, you are going to make me shed a tear. The memories....might have to go check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

Good Find OP!!!!

[quote name='GizmoGC']They are like 1 Volume away from finishing Ducktales, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are missing the Gizmo duck episodes some of my favorite episodes. Same with Gummi Bears, there missing all the episodes when they go to ursalia. I wish these sets were not left unfinished. I purchased these sets so my 2 year old and I can watch together. She really loves Duck Tales & Gummi Bears, really cute to hear her try and sing the Duck Tales theme song.

I bought most of these a few months back at BB for $14.99

[quote name='henry00x']question do u have to me a Costco member to get these for the sale price of $8.99?[/QUOTE]

You have to be a member to buy anything from them.

[quote name='henry00x']question do u have to me a Costco member to get these for the sale price of $8.99?[/QUOTE]

As bdavid81 noted, to purchase anything from them you need a membership (hell, to even get in the door you're supposed to show your membership card).

However, if they have them on costco.com, I believe non-members can order whatever is on the site but it might cost a little more IIRC.

EDIT: doesn't look like they have them online, however.

Here's the Costco Item # for them - they all have the same generic costco number for "BVHE ASSORT" (Buena Vista Home Entertainment Assortment) - 528527...this way you can take the number to the manager's desk and see if they have any in stock if you don't find them on the floor.

Here are the UPC's/ISBN

Ducktales Vol. 2 ISBN 0-7888-7128-5 UPC 786936715767
Ducktales Vol. 3 ISBN 0-7888-8318-6 UPC 786936746969
ChipnDales Vol. 1 ISBN 0-7888-6291-x UPC 786936691269
ChipnDales Vol. 2 ISBN 0-7888-7132-3 UPC 786936715804
Darkwing Duck Vol. 1 ISBN 0-7888-7572-8 UPC 786936727609
Darkwing Duck Vol. 2 ISBN 0-7888-7026-2 UPC 786936710342

Thanks OP; I picked up Darkwing Duck 1 & 2, Talespin 1, Ducktales 1, and Rescue Rangers 1 & 2. I wish they had the remaining volumes, but I'll just pick those up when I can find them cheap elsewhere.

Also, where is Gummi Bears?!

Awww shit, I'm gonna be all over this shit-fuck. Definitely in for Tale Spin and maybe the others.

OMG, that Ducktales spoof someone posted above was awesome. It hit its apex when they were taking crotch shots and then SWAT burst in.

Not that this is a cartoon, but I'm really, really hoping that someone finds the Dinosaurs sets. That would be awesome

No! There's no Costco here! :(

I'll have to see if there's one where my brother lives, I really want those Darkwing Duck DVDs!

[quote name='karkyco']I was at Costco yesterday and they had a large display in the DVD/BluRay section of a ton of the Disney afternoon cartoons of the 80's/90's that many of us love (although the display had already been raided heavily), for $8.99 each. Notably absent were the Gummi Bears :cry:(BOO!!!), which I'll probably just end up getting off of Amazon.

EDIT: confirmed these are the original releases that were on amazon for $24.99-$29.99 each, but now they are each $19.99.

These are volumes with three discs each, 9 episodes per disc so 27 episodes per volume. Already started watching some with my daughter and she loves them...nothing like sharing your childhood with your children. Ducktales...ah -WOOOO-HOOOOO!

Here's what they had (I picked up 1 of each):

DuckTales Vol. 2 and 3 (Vol. 1 was notably absent...not sure if it was just sold out or not available at Costco at all (can someone please confirm if they find Vol. 1?) - but Vol. 2 contains the pilot miniseries anyway.

Darkwing Duck Vol. 1 and 2

Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 and 2

Talespin Vol. 1 and 2

----------------------------------

There were some other cartoon sets that I didn't pick up - Tom & Jerry and some Hanna Barbera sets IIRC.[/QUOTE]

Amazing deal -- thx OP!

These shows were awesome. Never a fan of Tailspin but Darkwing Duck and Chip N Dale were excellent programs. Real shame Disney doesn't make shows like these anymore. Kim Possible is probably as close as they've gotten.

Got volumes 1 of Chip n Dale, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Ducktales. I'd really love the remaining volumes of Talespin and Darkwing Duck-- there's nothing but assloads of volumes 1 here (Sossaman and US 60 location in Mesa, AZ). I'll resume the search tomorrow.

[quote name='supermodestmouse']I WAS JUST THERE!!!!! dammit! I'll go back tomorrow and search.

I REALLY want those gargoyle sets though...such a great series![/QUOTE]

Note Gargoyles aren't part of this sale -- I don't think any Costco has those.

oh, yeah...i got costco didn't have gargoyles, but i wasn't aware of teh dvd release :p my mistake ^^

i'm gonna go buy these tomorrow ^^
childhood, here i come!

Saw this sale on Tuesday when I went to Costco. I really wanted to buy Ducktales, but knowing that the DVD release may never be completed (and the episodes are out of order), I passed on this entirely. *sigh*

[quote name='Bervda']Does Costco have a free trial membership or anything?[/QUOTE]

Yes, if you go to the store they will let you have the one day pass. I did this back when they were selling Arkham Asylum on 360 for $9 each. I was able to score 6 copies that day.

[quote name='Raye']Saw this sale on Tuesday when I went to Costco. I really wanted to buy Ducktales, but knowing that the DVD release may never be completed (and the episodes are out of order), I passed on this entirely. *sigh*[/QUOTE]

You know, I get this with live-action TV series (and maybe even modern animated shows such as JLU) but these are old cartoon series, meaning they don't build on one another like today's shows. They're all standalone or self-contained story arcs (like the Looney Tunes shows). You're not really missing anything.

If you're holding out for a complete series on these cartoon, then I wouldn't hold your breath on Disney doing that (after all, the last ones came out back in 2007). It's a shocker they even released a Season 1 box set of Hannah Montana.

I'm still waiting on Disney to collect the Kim Possible shows on DVD ... it'll never happen.

fuck, I checked a couple other Costco's in SoCal (Glendale, Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach/Culver City) and none of them have Ducktales Vol. 1

EDIT found a Vol. 1...

[quote name='gojiboy']Netflix currently has seasons 3 and 4 on instant stream.[/QUOTE]

Thx -- that's very cool -- didn't know that. Don't have Netflix at the moment (may be later on - I actually don't watch much TV at all -- I buy these sets so I can revel in nostalgia now and then).

Only TV show I follow at all is Doctor Who, and only recently because of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan (fell off after season 2 though I leaped back in towards the end of Season 4 due to the awesome Catherine Tate).

Anyways, digression aside, I hope Disney gives a proper release for KP :) I didn't know about Gummy Bears -- will have to get that some time.

Just want to go on record as saying Ducktales is some of the best writing in TV period.

I used to love Danger Mouse when I was young, bought the first DVD set. It just doesn't hold up.

The complete opposite can be said for Ducktales, the scripts are so good it could have been a live-action show.

I suggest people pick them up even without the last volume in limbo and episodes out of order.

[quote name='DestroVega']Just want to go on record as saying Ducktales is some of the best writing in TV period.

I used to love Danger Mouse when I was young, bought the first DVD set. It just doesn't hold up.

The complete opposite can be said for Ducktales, the scripts are so good it could have been a live-action show.

I suggest people pick them up even without the last volume in limbo and episodes out of order.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seriously. Those Disney cartoons were/are so damn good. Watched the multi-part pilot to Ducktales again for the first time in at least 20 years, just classic.

Is there any plan for vol 3 of Talespin, vol 4 of DuckTales or vol 3 of Darkwing Duck? I hate missing one volume to complete a series

[quote name='62t']Is there any plan for vol 3 of Talespin, vol 4 of DuckTales or vol 3 of Darkwing Duck? I hate missing one volume to complete a series[/QUOTE]

Well, it's been discussed in this thread (as well as elsewhere all over the web), however they are not currently available, and there is no word on when/if Disney will ever release them.

Same with Gargoyles Season 2 Vol. 2 or any follow-up to the first two sets.

However, much like GI Joe was in limbo for years when Rhino went under after releasing Season 2 Part 1, and the X-Men animated cartoon only had a few episodes on a couple of single disc packs for many years, eventually the series were done justice with comprehensive sets.

I'm just happy to get to see so many of the episodes, in official releases, for such a small amount of money. I can live with these even if I never get the full series...

[quote name='moop2001']Yes, if you go to the store they will let you have the one day pass. I did this back when they were selling Arkham Asylum on 360 for $9 each. I was able to score 6 copies that day.[/QUOTE]

did anybody try this recently? where do you go customer service?

UPDATE!

These things are selling out very fast. Hopefully this will show Disney just how popular these are and get us more such sets at competitive pricing.

Most stores in SoCal are completely wiped out (or only have very few copies left, usually of Talespin) according to the inventory tracker the manager showed me.

However, the ghetto Costco in Inglewood (across from Hollywood Park Race Track on Century - 3560 Century Blvd) still has 92 total in stock (remember they all have the same generic sku) - at least 6-10 of each and every one of the volumes.

Whether this is because these shows weren't popular in the hood, or because they just got around to putting them out this week (that's what the Costco worker lady in the media section said), they are all still available there as of 1 pm Pacific time today.

[quote name='karkyco']UPDATE!

These things are selling out very fast. Hopefully this will show Disney just how popular these are and get us more such sets at competitive pricing.

Most stores in SoCal are completely wiped out (or only have very few copies left, usually of Talespin) according to the inventory tracker the manager showed me.

However, the ghetto Costco in Inglewood (across from Hollywood Park Race Track on Century - 3560 Century Blvd) still has 92 total in stock (remember they all have the same generic sku) - at least 6-10 of each and every one of the volumes.

Whether this is because these shows weren't popular in the hood, or because they just got around to putting them out this week (that's what the Costco worker lady in the media section said), they are all still available there as of 1 pm Pacific time today.[/QUOTE]

Mother fuck! I stop by that one quite often but I went to a different Costco today instead (405/Rosecrans). They only had DuckTales vol. 3, Talespin vol. 1 and 2 and DW Duck vol. 1.

Going to check this out. Thanks Karkyco!

[quote name='major morgan']Mother fuck! I stop by that one quite often but I went to a different Costco today instead (405/Rosecrans). They only had DuckTales vol. 3, Talespin vol. 1 and 2 and DW Duck vol. 1.

Going to check this out. Thanks Karkyco![/QUOTE]

No worries man, just glad a fellow CAG can use my info...

Yeah that Lawndale Costco definitely got heavily raided. Don't bother with Venice Beach or Glendale either. The 'Wood Costco is the probably the last, best chance of getting them all in LA/SoCal at this point.

[quote name='karkyco']No worries man, just glad a fellow CAG can use my info...

Yeah that Lawndale Costco definitely got heavily raided. Don't bother with Venice Beach or Glendale either. The 'Wood Costco is the probably the last, best chance of getting them all in LA/SoCal at this point.[/QUOTE]

OMG! Nice call on the Inglewood one! It looks like they had about 5-10 of each set. If you're still looking for any Karkyco, definitely hit up that one up tomorrow (or tonight if you're feeling anxious and adventurous to be cruising the streets of Inglehood!).

I picked up DuckTales v.1 & 2 and CnD RR v.1 & 2

[quote name='major morgan']OMG! Nice call on the Inglewood one! It looks like they had about 5-10 of each set. If you're still looking for any Karkyco, definitely hit up that one up tomorrow (or tonight if you're feeling anxious and adventurous to be cruising the streets of Inglehood!).

I picked up DuckTales v.1 & 2 and CnD RR v.1 & 2[/QUOTE]

LOL I already hit it around noon today - that's how I completed my collection, and how I got the intel I posted here.

Glad you could get what you needed...

[quote name='karkyco']LOL I already hit it around noon today - that's how I completed my collection, and how I got the intel I posted here.

Glad you could get what you needed...[/QUOTE]

:lol: :wall:

LOL. Forgive my misunderstanding! That would totally make sense that you went there.

Since you were talking about the Costco item number and UPC/ISBN, I had assumed you made some calls to that Costco but hadn't yet gone by to pick them up.

Thanks again, anyway. :applause:

I was lucky to have picked up Tale Spin 1 & 2, Duck Tales 2 & 3, Chip N Dale 2 at the Sunnyvale location I plan to go back on Friday to pick up Darkwing Duck 1 & 2 (they still have enough of DW 1 & 2 and the rest were flying off the shelf I saw some guy grab one of each of the very few remaining copies of the other shows). For anyone near Mountain View Costco or has recently visited the location know if the place still has copies Chip N Dale 1 and Duck Tales 1 because the Sunnyvale location does not have those.

bread's done
Back