Costco: Ducktales, Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Talespin Vols $8.99 ea

karkyco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
UPDATE 3/20/2011:

Looks like Costco has been restocked! Either Disney put out another printing, given how fast they sold out last time, or Disney or some supplier still has excess stock.

They had every volume they previously had for $8.99, at the Costco in Venice Beach.

---------------------------------------------

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a large display in the DVD/BluRay section of a ton of the Disney afternoon cartoons of the 80's/90's that many of us love (although the display had already been raided heavily), for $8.99 each. Notably absent were the Gummi Bears :cry:(BOO!!!), which I'll probably just end up getting off of Amazon.

EDIT: confirmed these are the original releases that were on amazon for $24.99-$29.99 each, but now they are each $19.99.

These are volumes with three discs each, 9 episodes per disc so 27 episodes per volume. Already started watching some with my daughter and she loves them...nothing like sharing your childhood with your children. Ducktales...ah -WOOOO-HOOOOO!

Here's what they had (I picked up 1 of each):

DuckTales Vol. 2 and 3 (Vol. 1 was notably absent...not sure if it was just sold out or not available at Costco at all (can someone please confirm if they find Vol. 1?) - but Vol. 2 contains the pilot miniseries anyway.

Darkwing Duck Vol. 1 and 2

Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers Vol. 1 and 2

Talespin Vol. 1 and 2

----------------------------------

There were some other cartoon sets that I didn't pick up - Tom & Jerry and some Hanna Barbera sets IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Costco today to check out what they had. Unfortunately, they didn't have any one day passes or trial memberships, so I opted to pay the 50 bucks. Mainly because the customer service person said that if I was unhappy I could "easily" get a refund. I'll have to test out how "easy" it is to get that money back in a week or two.

Anyway, here is the haul I was able to score:

Ducktales, Vol. 1,2,3
Darkwing Duck Vol. 1,2
Chip n' Dales Rescue Rangers Vol. 1,2
TaleSpin Vol. 1,2

I found all of these at the Costco in Winter Park, FL on University Blvd. They still had at least one or two copies of everything I picked up in stock.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']No Goof Troop? That was the best of all of the Disney shows.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Sucks that the two closest Costcos are 100 miles away and 150 miles away... Damn you!!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Went to Costco today to check out what they had. Unfortunately, they didn't have any one day passes or trial memberships, so I opted to pay the 50 bucks. Mainly because the customer service person said that if I was unhappy I could "easily" get a refund. I'll have to test out how "easy" it is to get that money back in a week or two.

[/QUOTE]

Or you could just keep it. What part are you unhappy about? The fact that you cashed in on a deal? Maybe it was they charged too much for their churros...

At the Costco in Sparks they had multiple copies of every volume of RR, DWD, DT, and TS. I picked up all the Ducktails and Darkwing duck volumes. I might have to go back for the others.

[quote name='UberSwiss']Or you could just keep it. What part are you unhappy about? The fact that you cashed in on a deal? Maybe it was they charged too much for their churros...
[/QUOTE]The fact that after wandering around the store their prices were anything but competitive. In fact, most of the stuff that we actually buy would actually end up being MORE expensive at Costco. I'll go back on another day and see if I can actually find stuff that I need at good prices to justify the $50 fee, if not then I'll ask for a refund.

Also, the fact that they only accept American Express and cash is a big negative, too. It's probably the 1st place I've even seen that doesn't accept VISA and Mastercard.

Picked up Darkwing duck 1 and 2, but really wanted the others as well. Didnt see a copy of volume one of Ducktales or that would have been bought easily.

Also, for those of you with young kids:

Costco (at least mine in Gaithersburg, MD) also had 5 and 6 pack DVDs of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends for 20 bucks each. They had at least 4 different 'sets' (I only bought one set, as I had 1-3 dvds from each of the other 'sets' already at home).

[quote name='skateraXVIII']No Goof Troop? That was the best of all of the Disney shows.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and in that same alternate reality, Bonkers was actually a good show too. :razz:

I'm sad I don't have a Costco membership. I'd buy all of these. Ducktales and Talespin were 2 of the best shows ever.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']The fact that after wandering around the store their prices were anything but competitive. In fact, most of the stuff that we actually buy would actually end up being MORE expensive at Costco. I'll go back on another day and see if I can actually find stuff that I need at good prices to justify the $50 fee, if not then I'll ask for a refund.

Also, the fact that they only accept American Express and cash is a big negative, too. It's probably the 1st place I've even seen that doesn't accept VISA and Mastercard.[/QUOTE]

Well, household stuff/foodstuff etc. that you can use in bulk, they are greatly competitive at, especially their private label Kirkland brand which is MUCH higher quality in most things than other private label.

The meat is a steal. $9-11 a pound for high quality filet mignon...same with the seafood particularly the king crab legs. On booze they beat everybody, including BevMo. Electronics can be hit or miss.

[quote name='karkyco']Well, household stuff/foodstuff etc. that you can use in bulk, they are greatly competitive at, especially their private label Kirkland brand which is MUCH higher quality in most things than other private label.

The meat is a steal. $9-11 a pound for high quality filet mignon...same with the seafood particularly the king crab legs. On booze they beat everybody, including BevMo. Electronics can be hit or miss.[/QUOTE]

This. My memebership pays itself over and over again with all the money I save on alcohol.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Also, the fact that they only accept American Express and cash is a big negative, too. It's probably the 1st place I've even seen that doesn't accept VISA and Mastercard.[/QUOTE]

My Visa tagged Debit card works just fine at least the Debit portion, also works on the gas pumps.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']The fact that after wandering around the store their prices were anything but competitive. In fact, most of the stuff that we actually buy would actually end up being MORE expensive at Costco. I'll go back on another day and see if I can actually find stuff that I need at good prices to justify the $50 fee, if not then I'll ask for a refund.

Also, the fact that they only accept American Express and cash is a big negative, too. It's probably the 1st place I've even seen that doesn't accept VISA and Mastercard.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you there. When buying in bulk, Costco is substantially cheaper than other stores. That, and the quality of their products/brands tend to be superior. Sure, this is not true in every case but generally it holds across most items.

Further, Costco has been relentless with its coupons of late, and they typically knock off several dollars off everyday products.

I also love their berry smoothies ;-)

My only knock to Costco is that they carry significantly fewer item variations than Sams Club. This is how Costco manages its prices and inventory and I get it. Unlike Sams Club that stocks everything all the time, Costco will usually swap merchandise off the floor, meaning what is there once will probably never be there again (for example, these Disney DVDs -- odds are Costco secured a huge number from a supplier and is wiping them out through their stores). Same goes for chips, cereals, etc. It's a bummer when something I like disappears but I admit I also like that because my infrequent trips sometimes yield interesting surprises since Costco stocks new stuff constantly.

On a corporate side, I like Costco because its management is really one of the best in the country. I don't support Sams Club because it's owned and operated by Walmart (evil!).

The CEO Jim Sinegal is what I wish all CEOs could be like in this country. He was named one of TIME Magazine's greatest leaders in 2006:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186981,00.html

Take a read of that -- THAT is really the bottomline reason why I support Costco.

Thanks OP. Picked up

Ducktales Vol 2 & 3 (Didn't have Vol. 1)
Darkwing Duck Vol 1 & 2
Talespin Vol 1 & 2

They didn't have any Chip N' Dales :(

Anyone who was planning on going to the Sunnyvale Costco they only have a darkwing duck vol.1 and tale spin vol.2 I was lucky that they still had two copies of vol.1 and i got the last of vol.2.

I was with my friend using his Costco account. He was at the register with me. Just in case anyone tries, I wasn't allowed to charge the entire order on my own AMEX (The only CC that Costco accepts). The card has to be under the name of the membership holder for them to allow you to charge it. (That's not to say it won't go through if you swipe without them looking lol).

Had to pay in cash. :(

[quote name='philmcfly']I was with my friend using his Costco account. He was at the register with me. Just in case anyone tries, I wasn't allowed to charge the entire order on my own AMEX (The only CC that Costco accepts). The card has to be under the name of the membership holder for them to allow you to charge it. (That's not to say it won't go through if you swipe without them looking lol).

Had to pay in cash. :([/QUOTE]

Had the same thing happen to me but the cashier told us for "next time" that that needed to happen.

Needed to go to 3 Costcos but finally obtained copies of all the Disney DVDs.

Too bad, Disney hasn't released the final volumes to complete the set(s). I have a feeling they will double-dip at some point in the future.

I went to my local Costco this past Saturday and scored Ducktales Volumes 1-3 and Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers Volume 1. I really wanted C&D:RR Volume 2 but they didn't have a single copy.

Also saw (but didn't buy):
Darkwing Duck Volumes 1 & 2
Talespin Volumes 1 & 2

Any word on Costco getting Gargoyles or Gummi Bears?

[quote name='JamesFerguson']Had the same thing happen to me but the cashier told us for "next time" that that needed to happen.[/QUOTE]
I just casually step ahead of my girlfriend and swipe it before they can say anything. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm hittin' it, that Costco account is as good as mine.

[quote name='romeogbs19']I have to disagree with you there. When buying in bulk, Costco is substantially cheaper than other stores. That, and the quality of their products/brands tend to be superior. Sure, this is not true in every case but generally it holds across most items.

Further, Costco has been relentless with its coupons of late, and they typically knock off several dollars off everyday products.

I also love their berry smoothies ;-)

My only knock to Costco is that they carry significantly fewer item variations than Sams Club. This is how Costco manages its prices and inventory and I get it. Unlike Sams Club that stocks everything all the time, Costco will usually swap merchandise off the floor, meaning what is there once will probably never be there again (for example, these Disney DVDs -- odds are Costco secured a huge number from a supplier and is wiping them out through their stores). Same goes for chips, cereals, etc. It's a bummer when something I like disappears but I admit I also like that because my infrequent trips sometimes yield interesting surprises since Costco stocks new stuff constantly.

On a corporate side, I like Costco because its management is really one of the best in the country. I don't support Sams Club because it's owned and operated by Walmart (evil!).

The CEO Jim Sinegal is what I wish all CEOs could be like in this country. He was named one of TIME Magazine's greatest leaders in 2006:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1186981,00.html

Take a read of that -- THAT is really the bottomline reason why I support Costco.[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

Best post I've seen in a long time, especially the last part. I support Costco because of their high quality and superior prices especially the Kirkland Signature label which blows every other private label out of the water and even name brands very often. But the #1 reason I support Costco is because of their CEO and their management policies.

I feel very bad when I see people support Sam's Club because Walmart is one of the worst companies in the world. In addition to reading about Costco's CEO people should check out this film and tell me if you would ever shop at Walmart or Sams again. Here is part 1 of 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GINui9LdIQ

Looks like Costco has been restocked! Either Disney put out another printing, given how fast they sold out last time, or Disney or some supplier still has excess stock.

Took these pics a couple of days ago at the Costco in Venice Beach.

They had every volume they previously had for $8.99

iPhone2038.jpg

iPhone2037.jpg

[quote name='trunks982']thanks karkyco. so are they complete? volumes 1 and 2 are complete series or will there be more volumes in the future?[/QUOTE]

I believe this was discussed previously, but these sets have episodes somewhat out of order (most notably on Ducktales), and they do not complete the entire series. But, they will give you a much needed fix of that late 80's/early 90's Disney cartoon goodness

[quote name='karkyco']Looks like Costco has been restocked! Either Disney put out another printing, given how fast they sold out last time, or Disney or some supplier still has excess stock.

Took these pics a couple of days ago at the Costco in Venice Beach.

They had every volume they previously had for $8.99

iPhone2038.jpg

iPhone2037.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! I need to check my Costco again. Thanks so much for keeping us informed and providing the picture

I saw this the other day and went down like a baby. Ducktales 1-3.

I resisted, but know I shall fall to Talespin and Chip 'n Dale also.

GOD DAMN DO I LOVE COSTCO

No Costco in Wisconsin. Anyone want to trade DuckTales season 1, 2 and 3 for one of my TV sets? I have:

American Dad Vol 1
American Dad Vol 2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 1
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol 3 (sealed)
King of the Season season 1
King of the Season season 2
Pinky and the Brain Vol 2 (sealed)
Robot Chicken Vol 1
Scrubs Season 1
TMNT (80s cartoon) Vol 1
TMNT (80s cartoon) Vol 2
TMNT (80s cartoon) Vol 3 (sealed)
TMNT (80s cartoon) Vol 4 (sealed)

PM if you want to work a deal.

I picked up Darkwing Duck at my local costco! Woo! Might go back for Ducktales. They had an ass load of stock of them, so I'm not too worried about them running out.

There's no temporary memberships or trials for costco, right? I already have a BJ's membership and that's right next to my house, so I don't want to switch to Costco... If anyone wants to pick some Ducktales and Rescue Rangers for me at cost + shipping, I would love you. Or you can CML for a trade. Thanks :whistle2:D

Checked a Costco in Vancouver, WA last weekend and no dice. Saw one Darkwing Duck Vol. 1. Checked another in Beaverton, OR yesterday and they only had Vol. 1's of everything.

I need Vol. 2's of them all! Have the first vol. Didn't pick up any Duck Tales though, never really watched it but may get it if I can find them.

[quote name='milesbeyond']Checked a Costco in Vancouver, WA last weekend and no dice. Saw one Darkwing Duck Vol. 1. Checked another in Beaverton, OR yesterday and they only had Vol. 1's of everything.

I need Vol. 2's of them all! Have the first vol. Didn't pick up any Duck Tales though, never really watched it but may get it if I can find them.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that figures. Good luck with your search. From what I remember as a kid, I liked Duck Tales maybe even more than Darkwing Duck and Talespin, but they were all great. The Ducktales movie is pretty good too.

I haven't had a chance to check costco yet, but my local library has Chip and Dale vol 1 and 2, and Ducktales vol 1, 2, and 3. I already have Darkwing duck vol 1 and 2, so I guess all I really need is Talespin, which is probably my least favorite of the bunch.

This is assuming I can get the rest from the library and the discs aren't scratched and unplayable from little kids manhandling the dvds. :booty:

[quote name='rapsodist']Does anyone have a list of the non-Disney cartoons on sale?[/QUOTE]

The 2 I can remember:

Loony Tunes Golden Collection
Yogi Bear Complete Series

Didn't see any of these when I went to Costco, but I did see them at Best Buy for $12.99-$14.99. Not as good as Costco's prices but they also had Animaniacs and Pink and the Brain.

[quote name='RoGo7']The 2 I can remember:

Loony Tunes Golden Collection
Yogi Bear Complete Series[/QUOTE]

How much did the looney tunes sets cost?

I will crap my pants if we're to assume they're $8.99 also.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']How much did the looney tunes sets cost?

I will crap my pants if we're to assume they're $8.99 also.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine at costco a few months ago for $17.99 for each volume (1-6). I'll crap in your pants if you can find them new for less than that.

[quote name='v3rtigo']i bought mine at costco a few months ago for $17.99 for each volume (1-6). I'll crap in your pants if you can find them new for less than that.[/quote]

lol

bread's done
Back