Could Batman be the trilogy of our generation?

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have been waiting forever to see the next great "Star Wars" type trilogy to hit our generation. By "Star Wars" type, I mean a trilogy where all the movies are fantastic, universally praised and accepted among the majority of the public. I really thought the Matrix would be that trilogy until it made no sense and threw itself into the trash. I even thought Pirates of the Caribbean had potential until....again went right into left field. Oh and let's not forget the Star Wars prequel trilogy, I mean what the hell was that?

Obviously Lord of the Rings is up there as well as a trilogy done so perfectly and will have an impact for decades. I'm thinking though, if Chris Nolan pulls out an amazing third film and great conclusion (assuming he will do a third film and there will be a conclusion) could Batman be the "Star Wars" of our generation? I certainly doubt it will create a Sci-Fi explosion that Star Wars created (there already is a very storied Batman universe). But just in terms of a complete, solid trilogy, could Batman be the one?

I'd say LOTR has it already.

Batman's story isn't really continuous in the traditional trilogy sense (i.e. 3 movies for one story arc). Plus I honestly think we'll get more than 3 Nolan Batman's. Especially if they keep making this kind of money. Bale seems on board for the long haul and Nolan seems to love the material.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd say LOTR has it already.[/QUOTE]

I loved the first one, the second did nothing for me so by the third, I was just ready for it to end.

Hopefully Batman can pull off a good third film. Loved the first two movies in both the Spiderman & X-Men franchises, but the last in each didn't quite cut it for me.

[quote name='Kendal']Back to the Future says hello.[/QUOTE]
while number 3 sits in the corner wearing a dunce cap.

Also, Back to the future can't count because those movies were closer to star wars than they are to today. Don't get me wrong, I love back to the future, but the trilogy of a generation?

LOTR sucked.

My wife and I exclaimed, "That's 3 hours of our lives we'll never get back!" after FOTR amidst a horde of 30 year old virgins and retainer jockeys.

[quote name='Birbo']I loved the first one, the second did nothing for me so by the third, I was just ready for it to end.
[/QUOTE]

I loved all three personally. Love the books as well, even though I've never been much of a fantasy book reader.

[quote name='saadman']Obviously Lord of the Rings is up there as well as a trilogy done so perfectly and will have an impact for decades. I'm thinking though, if Chris Nolan pulls out an amazing third film and great conclusion (assuming he will do a third film and there will be a conclusion) could Batman be the "Star Wars" of our generation? I certainly doubt it will create a Sci-Fi explosion that Star Wars created (there already is a very storied Batman universe). But just in terms of a complete, solid trilogy, could Batman be the one?[/QUOTE]

The problem is you cannot have an epic film series surrounding 1 character. Star Wars and LOTR are ensemble casts, and the scope of their storylines is "epic" in nature.....

Batman is still just a guy in a suit fighting crime in Chicag...err..Gotham City...no matter which way you slice it. Great Films? yes. Epic Trilogys of the generation? Only if nothing better comes along for another 10+ years.

This isn't a joke thread?

LoTR is running away with it for me.

I just don't see the greatness of these Batman films. :shrug:

[quote name='saadman']By "Star Wars" type, I mean a trilogy where all the movies are fantastic, universally praised and accepted among the majority of the public.[/QUOTE]

Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, X-Men, etc, etc.

What's so special about a trilogy, anyway? That seems like an unnecessary constraint. Harry Potter, Spiderman, etc, etc.

I don't get this thread. Star Wars is nothing special, we've seen dozens of comparable franchises since then. It certainly isn't as rare as once a generation.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Batman is still just a guy in a suit fighting crime in Chicag...err..Gotham City...no matter which way you slice it. Great Films? yes. Epic Trilogys of the generation? Only if nothing better comes along for another 10+ years.[/QUOTE]

They're also just updates of movies that have already been made. Quality aside, they're technically the fifth and sixth Batman movies made in the past sixteen years.

None of those you list has had near the impact on movies and culture that star wars had. So yes, Star Wars was once in a generation. Hell it still hasn't been topped in terms of a trilogy (or single movie) having such wide spread appeal and impact on the movie industry.

[quote name='wubb']This isn't a joke thread?[/quote]

I'll try.

I was looking at one of the magazines in the checkout lane last weekend.

I thought, "Damn, Margot Kidder looks like crap."

Then, I realized it was Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Originally, Ms. Gyllenhaal was going to play a love interest of somebody more her speed in a different animal-themed film, The Elephant Man.

Good enough?

[quote name='wubb']I just don't see the greatness of these Batman films. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

only thing that is great about them is that in fact that they are actual Batman films rather than having a Joker movie and then a Penguin & Catwoman movie. And having Schumacher trying to bring it back to the Adam West style of Batman (and failing) didn't work out so well.

also, this has to be one of the dumbest fucking quotes I've read in a loooong time
[quote name='Koggit']
I don't get this thread. Star Wars is nothing special, we've seen dozens of comparable franchises since then. It certainly isn't as rare as once a generation.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HeadRusch']The problem is you cannot have an epic film series surrounding 1 character. Star Wars and LOTR are ensemble casts, and the scope of their storylines is "epic" in nature.....

Batman is still just a guy in a suit fighting crime in Chicag...err..Gotham City...no matter which way you slice it. Great Films? yes. Epic Trilogys of the generation? Only if nothing better comes along for another 10+ years.[/quote]

Traditional, literary epics are just about one hero. And what about the Bourne trilogy?

hey can any three movies work?

Star Wars... never liked it... I thought it was boring.

Anyways, to me, Star Wars worked because there was alot of money and alot of fx thrown around and with a tight story that hasn't been around during that time.

I don't think any movie can now, with blockbusters and stories and epics that we have been, besides LOTR, I don't think it can happen anymore.

I think with a movie with a nice story arc... Resident Evil is not too bad, it's a good 1-3 story, somewhat not the best but it's better than say The Mummy which the 3rd one (Scorpion King is only 2.5) is out like next month.

Edit: OH Bourne trilogy would be a good one too, but we havent' seen the 3rd one yet... netflix dvd on dvd player waiting for a good night to watch it..... /end edit

Matrix could have been better... it was put up high and couldn't top it so it fell, similar to PoC but I thought it was handled better... the 2nd one was just filler... really... and the 3rd got a bit too lengthy and cheesy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wubb']This isn't a joke thread?

LoTR is running away with it for me.

I just don't see the greatness of these Batman films. :shrug:[/quote]

No Robin + No Arnold 'one lining puns' = success in my eyes...

[quote name='SpitFire158']i don't see how Star wars and Harry Potter are TRILOGIES [/quote]

You're right in pointing out that Star Wars is technically not a trilogy. However, right or wrong, most fans regard SW not as a whole six-film series but as two separate trilogies.

As for Harry Potter, nobody's brought up that series except for Koggit who was using it as an example of a franchise that isn't constrained to a trilogy.

batman... no

[quote name='rapsodist']Traditional, literary epics are just about one hero. And what about the Bourne trilogy?[/QUOTE]

bourne? lol, not a chance.

whether you like it or not its LOTR

indiana jones & back to the future are both great ones from the 80s though.

Star wars will always be the trilogy to me because it was so out of left field. There was nothing like it when it came out.

The Batman movies are good but they are basically a reboot of a not-so-long-ago dead series..

LOTRs....Its an interesting argument. The Gollum Character was really the most impressive marriage of acting and special effects that I have ever seen.

The Matrix would have been a great trillogy if it had better acting and removed some of the leaden psycho-babble dialog. Not to mention that last film was pure overkill.

Why do you think there needs to be a "trilogy of a generation"?

And what makes you think the Batman movies are going to stop with three?

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']bourne? lol, not a chance.[/quote]

I'm assuming you mean "not a chance" in regard to Bourne being the best trilogy of our generation, which is not at all what I meant. I simply used it as an example of a successful trilogy based around one character rather than an ensemble cast of heroes.

[quote name='dopa345']LOTR hands down for me. I also would put the Spiderman triology over the Batman movies.[/quote]

the third batman will not be anywhere near as bad as spiderman 3, so that's a no

LoTR is the trilogy of our generation, without a doubt.

Have they even announced that they're going to stop after the third Batman film? I would imagine that as long as they're able to keep up the quality they may do even more then 3.

[quote name='trq']They're also just updates of movies that have already been made. Quality aside, they're technically the fifth and sixth Batman movies made in the past sixteen years.[/quote]
Sixth and seventh actually. How could you forget about the brief theatrical release of Mask of the Phantasm? ;)

I really like LotR, but I'm going to have to say that High School Musical is probably going to be the one for me. That Ryan is a way better singer and dancer than Merry and Pippin will ever be.

the Dark Knight is a different story arc than the first 4..

so Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are two movies inside a different trilogy...

and look if we aren't counting Star Wars I-III, then i move to strike Batman Forever and Batman and Robin...lol

The new mummy movie looks like shit. Like Pirate of the Carribean, it's time has passed. Yet they move it to some asian country and have that hack Jet Li star in it. Martial arts guys being stars of tons of movies was cool in the 70s, now it's just fucking lame. Rachel Weisz didn't even sign on for the third movie, if I'm not mistaken. Instant failure, and most people with $8 burning a hole in their pocket are going to pick a second Batman viewing over that shitty movie.

haha, let's wait til we can judge the third movie with catwoman and the riddler before we say its the trilogy of our generation. LOTR is definitely the pick so far.

I think Ventriloquist should be in then next batman movie somehow...

scarface_gun.jpg

I can understand if he can't be a main villain... but they should put him in it somehow. :)

I may not be the biggest LOTR fan, although I have the 3 movies, I believe it is LOTR, the one that gets it's due...But these 2 Bale's BATMAN movies have been great and I bet the 3rd one will be better...

And Back To The Future, may not be of this generation, but boy, whenever the movies are played on cable, I always sit down and enjoy them, there is such a thing in those movies, that make me always sit down and watch them and yes the 3rd one is not as good as the first 2, but overall the series is definitely a classic of it's time!

[quote name='JJSP']Batman isn't a trilogy.[/quote]

That's right. The mission never ends.

Could anybody imagine Batman Beyond movies with an 80 year old Bale as Bruce Wayne?

[quote name='tehweezner']the third batman will not be anywhere near as bad as spiderman 3, so that's a no[/QUOTE]

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched, Nostradamus.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Sixth and seventh actually. How could you forget about the brief theatrical release of Mask of the Phantasm? ;)[/QUOTE]

Well ... yeah, okay, good point.

[quote name='hcamacho']I may not be the biggest LOTR fan, although I have the 3 movies, I believe it is LOTR, the one that gets it's due...But these 2 Bale's BATMAN movies have been great and I bet the 3rd one will be better...

And Back To The Future, may not be of this generation, but boy, whenever the movies are played on cable, I always sit down and enjoy them, there is such a thing in those movies, that make me always sit down and watch them and yes the 3rd one is not as good as the first 2, but overall the series is definitely a classic of it's time![/quote]

OP said our generation. Not this. This generation, isn't mine. :D I also was half joking when I said Back to the Future. Even though it is one of the best trilogies ever.

I'm a huge fan of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but there's no telling if the inevitable third (or seventh, eighth, whatever) will be nearly as good. We don't even know if Chrisopher Nolan will be directing.

I personally can't stand the 2nd and 3rd Lord of the Rings movies, my current favorite trilogies are Bourne and X-Men (but both got worse for the 3rd movie).

bread's done
Back