Could Snatcher be done on the DS?

coolz481

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I'm in the middle of playing through Phoenix Wright and loving it. I did own a Sega CD back in the day and rented Snatcher. It was very similar to Wright in that you basically went around talking to everyone you could, examining the scenary when necessary, and there were some very basic shooting sequences (you could use a light gun if I recall correctly). Obviously, this game was done on a CD, but it's now nearly 12 years later and I have to believe they could compress the data to fit on a DS card - if Resident Evil PS1 can be done, surely a graphic adventure from 1993 can be done as well. Do you think Konami is throwing away some easy money?

[quote name='coolz481']I'm in the middle of playing through Phoenix Wright and loving it. I did own a Sega CD back in the day and rented Snatcher. It was very similar to Wright in that you basically went around talking to everyone you could, examining the scenary when necessary, and there were some very basic shooting sequences (you could use a light gun if I recall correctly). Obviously, this game was done on a CD, but it's now nearly 12 years later and I have to believe they could compress the data to fit on a DS card - if Resident Evil PS1 can be done, surely a graphic adventure from 1993 can be done as well. Do you think Konami is throwing away some easy money?[/quote]

It depends, in a way. They would probably have to reprogram the majority of the game in order to make it functional on the DS and, considering the Sega CD graphics from ages ago, they may want to touch it up here, there, and everywhere while they're at it if they want to grab a few more sales.

In the end, it may really depend. It would be well-suited for the DS, that's for certain, but would Konami feel that the extra manpower used on retooling and upgrading Snatcher would result in making back their money in the DS market? That's another issue entirely. If there's money to be had they could be convinced but I think they may focus more on other titles and going full-steam-ahead on the next Castlevania DS rather than focus on ports at the moment.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']no way, hideo kojima is too much of a sony loyalist.[/QUOTE]

Isn't he working on a new franchise for the Rev?

[quote name='SMMM'][quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']no way, hideo kojima is too much of a sony loyalist.[/QUOTE]
Isn't he working on a new franchise for the Rev?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I kinda agree wtih Ace... even though he's stated many times that he loves the Rev and sees a ton of potential, he said the same thing about the DS but he's yet to show that any real love. I'm guessing we'll something from him but it won't be to the same calibur as Metal Gear sadly.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']no way, hideo kojima is too much of a sony loyalist.[/quote]

But all hes really done on the ps2 and ps1 is metal gear solid 1 through 3 and ZOE 1 and 2 . I think He just spends more time on the MGS series to make them come out the way he wants. He probably dosent have much time to make games for any system (except boktai ) cause hes to busty with MGS.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, but I kinda agree wtih Ace... even though he's stated many times that he loves the Rev and sees a ton of potential, he said the same thing about the DS but he's yet to show that any real love. I'm guessing we'll something from him but it won't be to the same calibur as Metal Gear sadly.[/QUOTE]

he is working on another version of Boktai (with no light sensor gimmick this time around)

[quote name='CaseyRyback']he is working on another version of Boktai (with no light sensor gimmick this time around)[/QUOTE]

I know, and that's the thing... the two GBA Boktai haven't exactly been on the same caliber as his best. It just seems like everything Kojima does, outside the MGS series, is half-assed compared to MGS. I love that he's actually supporting Nintendo though... at least there's a great developer working on games for the DS/Rev.

Ahaha ... i was thinking the exact same thing after playing through Phoenix Wright. They should totally make a Snatcher / Policenauts collection.

However, they won't.. both games have been ported to death and should rest for quite a while longer. I would rather have Kojima make a new text based adventure game for the DS than remake/port those masterpieces..
___

I think porting snatcher would be very easy. You would have to get rid of all the voices though.

I was thinking about even making it myself. Hell, i'm a computer programmer and almost all the logic in Snatcher is counter and flag based. Handling the shooting scenes wouldn't be that difficult either. I could take screencaps from the Sega CD version, and create a complete script to code into the game.

Snatcher isn't the most algorithmic intensive game, ya know..
___

However.... copyright is a fickle matter. I don't know how much they would care if i ported an 10-18 year old game to a recent system free of charge. it's not like i'd be taking away sales from them or taking credit for the story either.
___

of course... if i made the game myself, then i would probably be far too familar with it to enjoy it anymore... hmm...

I heard they were making a Metal Gear collection sometime in the future and releasing all Metal Gear games and games having to do with Metal Gear, including Snatcher and Policenauts.. it was probably BS.. I hope they do, though. Snatcher is, without a doubt, my favorite game ever.

A Snatcher port would be easy. They wouldn't have to get rid of the voices. They'd have to dumb them down, as well as the music, but it could be done.. very easily.

Snatcher would be quite doable on the DS. The voices may have to be lower quality but it can be done, and it SHOULD be done. And do Policenauts while you are at Konami.

[quote name='Msia']It could but I dont think they would have the memory for the voice acting.[/quote]

Compression?

What about Conker on N64.. that was pretty amazing to have all voice on a cart!

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Compression?

What about Conker on N64.. that was pretty amazing to have all voice on a cart![/quote]

Perfect Dark and RE2 also.

bread's done
Back