CraigsList Scammers

smellhasreturned

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Alright so I'm trying to sell my Xbox 360 on Craig's List for 460$... everything is fine and swell.

This person "Rose Waters" says she'll buy it and will send me a check for 500 to pay for shipping everything seems great

Him:

When the check is cashed please send the guy i owe the rest of the money after you deduct your own payment of $600 for the item and $50 for shipping costs as well,you should have about $3,150 left,take that to western union and have it sent to the following information:

name of receiver: Jovita Urrutia
city:Brownsville
state: TX
zipcode: 78520

Please make sure its done tomorrow and send me MTCN and exact AMOUNT sent after paying for western union charges.

It is important the money is sent Today as i owe the guy $6,500 and i promised to send the rest as soon as possible and the guy is on my neck now as he kept calling me a sending me a dozens of emails.Kindly safe my ass from this mess and i would gladly appreciate it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(obviously the whole western union thing raised the flag... as craigslist tells to avoid anything to do with Western Union. So I sent him/her an email)

Me:
their is no way im doing this... this is a blatant scam... why do you even waste my time with this ? wow....

Him:
This is not a Scam Brain,as my bank made a mistake in sending you $3,800 meant for the guy i am owning for the Laptop's and they sent $600 to the guy..Can you help me with that such money?

Please i am kinda worried about that lots of money..

Me:
NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

says so on Craigslist...

Him:
Hey,

Do you know who the fuck you are fucking with?

wanna end up the rest of your life in Jail?

Let me know this before i press charges on you.

Soooo this guy is just bluffing right ? anyone else have any stories ?

I don't understand this at all.

You sold this fellow a 360 and he sent you a check for 500 and now he's expecting the balance after you tack on shipping charges? Is this correct? If so, why would he expect any more than the balance back?

It was a little hard to read someone of your stuff.. but it looks like the oldest craigslist scam.

Dear sir/madam...

I wanna buy your whatever, but I'm gonna send you a check for an extra 6000. Please send the remaining 5999 to someone else.

You will cash it fine... and then the bank will charge you back after its found to be fradulent.

Yeah, that is poorly worded.

So you haven't yet sold the 360? Have you received a check, or money of any kind from this person?

If the answer is "No" to both of my questions, then just ignore them.

[quote name='Rig']Yeah, that is poorly worded.

So you haven't yet sold the 360? Have you received a check, or money of any kind from this person?

If the answer is "No" to both of my questions, then just ignore them.[/QUOTE]

I still have the 360

I got his check in the mail today.

This is a very common scam with online transactions. The reason he sent the check for so much more then the item is because it is a forgery. The bank will accept it at first when you go to deposit it. Then a week or so later they'll tell you it was a fake and take the money out of your account. By the time you find this out the scammer will be long gone.

The part at the end where he tries to accuse you of scamming him is a nice touch. I guess he knows your suspicious so he's trying to scare you into falling for his scam.

The best thing to do now would be to cut all contact with him. You can try reporting him to Craigslist but I don't know if that'll do any good. Don't try to deposit that check. The bank won't like that and it might cause problems for you.

Contact your local authorities as well. Maybe they can find out where this guy sent it from and arrest him for fraud and what not.

ask the guy if he knows who he is fucking with

then head directly to your local PD with the fake check.

i dunno why you would take a check for 6000 dollars in the first place =/

obviously a scam.

[quote name='dank']ask the guy if he knows who he is fucking with

then head directly to your local PD with the fake check.

i dunno why you would take a check for 6000 dollars in the first place =/

obviously a scam.[/QUOTE]

oh I didn't

he first said it would be for 500... then he said he shipped it, THEN told me it was for 6000

I sent him another E-mail, hopefully he responds

[quote name='smellhasreturned']oh I didn't

he first said it would be for 500... then he said he shipped it, THEN told me it was for 6000

I sent him another E-mail, hopefully he responds[/quote]

yeah go to the pd with whatever info u have and the check.

or dont do anything. hes a scammer and not gonna waste his time on someone who knows whats up

edit: but i would go with option A. and let him know that.

If the guy is from a different state than you are then you may want to contact the FBI as well as the local police.

[quote name='keithp']If the guy is from a different state than you are then you may want to contact the FBI as well as the local police.[/quote]

true, no idea how many people he has scammed.

[quote name='smellhasreturned'] Soooo this guy is just bluffing right ? anyone else have any stories ?[/quote]The guy is absolutely bluffing. Report him to your local authorities and to Craigslist. Let them know he's a Western Union scammer, and give them the details. They should recognize the fraud type immediately.

I was trying to find the Consumer Fraud site that had the info but actually Craigslist lists the common swindles here. Check Scam #2.

Now moving to Shopping Discussion. This thread belongs more in there than in the OT.

A guy tried to do this to my roommate last year, the dude kept spammin gus with westren union stuff, we had about 50,000 laying on our kitchen table all semester as a joke. My roommate was trying to think up a way to counter scam the guy untill some dude stole all the money orders at a party....Jokes on him now.

[quote name='keithp']If the guy is from a different state than you are then you may want to contact the FBI as well as the local police.[/quote]
If he's from Mexico you may want to contact the U.N., JK

You should really check out 419eater.com

Don't worry about the threats and such, there's no money to be had in pursuing someone for a scammer. Not only that, but there is a high probability that such action might serve only to draw attention from the proper authorities.

It is a good idea to try and find out where exactly this bonehead is attempting to scam from just to be on the safe side (using IP addresses). You're pretty much guaranteed that they're not in the United States (since threatening people over state lines might just land you in jail, and phone companies are ready to dish out info with the proper subpoena in hand).

If you have any addresses, account numbers, or anything else that might help the authorities identify the scammer, I would suggest contacting the local authorities or asking someone over on 419eater.com.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']Alright so I'm trying to sell my Xbox 360 on Craig's List for 460$... everything is fine and swell.

Him:

When the check is cashed please send the guy i owe the rest of the money after you deduct your own payment of $600 for the item and $50 for shipping costs as well,you should have about $3,150 left,take that to western union and have it sent to the following information:

name of receiver: Jovita Urrutia
city:Brownsville
state: TX
zipcode: 78520

Please make sure its done tomorrow and send me MTCN and exact AMOUNT sent after paying for western union charges.

It is important the money is sent Today as i owe the guy $6,500 and i promised to send the rest as soon as possible and the guy is on my neck now as he kept calling me a sending me a dozens of emails.Kindly safe my ass from this mess and i would gladly appreciate it.

Him:
This is not a Scam Brain,as my bank made a mistake in sending you $3,800 meant for the guy i am owning for the Laptop's and they sent $600 to the guy..Can you help me with that such money?

Please i am kinda worried about that lots of money..

Him:
Hey,

Do you know who the fuck you are fucking with?

wanna end up the rest of your life in Jail?

Let me know this before i press charges on you.

Soooo this guy is just bluffing right ? anyone else have any stories ?[/quote]

You can usually tell that they're scammers by the way they talk, thepidgin english is a dead giveaway. This lad doesn't seem very bright. He's not suppose to threaten you with incarceration, he's suppose to place a curse on you or hire hitmen. He's definitely going to lose some points for that.:roll:

Every major city, and some townships, have their own specific division of the Secret Service that is instituted to handle frauds over 500$. Specifically, they're Treasury investigators with Secret Service status under the D.H.S. I run a game store and recently made this fun discovery when I was presented 10 of the best counterfeits I have ever seen- the bank even thought they were real. Alas, their UV light did not. Anyway, these guys will handle everything on it, just make sure you get a receipt from them for the check, just in case. If the local PD is necessary, they'll contact the corresponding department. If FBI is necessary, same deal. They just need the case materials from you, and they can take over from there.

LOL I've had this scam attempted on me before, which is why whenever I sell something I always put down 'LOCAL BUYERS ONLY' and CASH ONLY' on my ads. You still get the occasional scammer trying to see if you'll part with your item and cash a phony check for them, but I just ignore them.

I also had someone offer me a 60 gb PS3 'new in box' for only $250 from out in far eastern NJ or so(I'm about 2-3 hours from there). I asked them if they would come here and let me test the item and I'd give them an additional $25-50 for gas and time. I never heard back from them. LOL Oh and the funniest part is, the name attached to their email address(a gmail account) was 'HONESTY'. Uh huh, it made me chuckle too.

I also had someone offer me a 60 gb PS3 'new in box' for only $250 from out in far eastern NJ or so(I'm about 2-3 hours from there).
Oh, that was you... :hot:

Anyway, I use to get this crap all the time, when I was trying to sell a bunch of stuff on CL. I simply started to ignore any e-mail I got that was more than a few lines.

LOL I was kind of shocked to get ANY responses from ANYONE on the PS3 ad, but I figured I'd try. But, I was kind of hoping for someone LOCAL to me to respond, but the scammers figured it was a great time to try and pounce.

Oh and besides cash, the only thing I do accept for deals is USPS MO's, since the local PO can check them against a book of valid ones, so there's little room for scamming there. That's about the ONLY way I'd probably sell stuff to someone would be a postal money order, other than CASH.

[quote name='smellhasreturned']I still have the 360

I got his check in the mail today.[/QUOTE]

Good- don't cash it or send out the 360. If it's a personal check, tell him you're not getting involved with this and you're not cashing the check, so he might as well put a 'stop payment' on it at the bank and cut this 'other guy' a new one for whatever he owes him. I'd also get in touch with the bank listed on the check and tell them you suspect this account is fradulent/stolen, so they can contact the account owner (if s/he doesn't already know.) Maybe have that Texas address handy in case they're already investigating and need it.

Nothing good can come from attempting to deal with this person...

scam written all over it. first of all, he barely spoke ENGRISH. then all of a sudden he was able to put a sentence together on his last message. report it to craigslist. oh, and make sure you report the email hes using to whatever domain hes using (ie yahoo or gmail or hotmail). they'll delete his account.

bread's done
Back