Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Gen. Discussion

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
So yeah, it's out! I haven't really gotten to play much yet (only about 20 minutes), but jeez, the graphics are simply stunning, and the cut-scenes are very impressive. I can't believe they crammed so much onto such a little disc.

I can't put it down. Once you get Materia Fusion you can find so much cool shit.

And having access to missions which are extremely hard/beyond your skill or exp level is complete gold to me. My favorite part of FF12 was going after monster bounty's that I was far underpowered for, and this game has that in droves.

Girlfriend beat it last night. Took about 18 hours and she only completed 32% of the missions but according to the games director, they had to cut A LOT of stuff.

"Due to schedules and the memory concerns they had with the UMD, Hajime Tabata said, "a good deal of it ended up on the cutting room floor." The story they originally had featured episodes that were more detailed in nature. They also intended to add a multiplayer mode using the PSP network function, but that, too, wasn't fully realized in the final version."

Source

I think Sony may be banking that Crisis Core could be a serious system seller, that would be my only reasoning for it not to be ported to PS2.

It would be a supreme punch in the face if they put it up on PSN for download to PS3 or something.

I've only played for about 2 hours, but I still don't understand why square went with the slot machine idea of leveling up, instead of just earning exp. I don't like that leveling seems to be based off of luck. The graphics, presentation, and animations are jaw dropping though.

What are your opinions of the gameplay? I've thought about picking this up but as one reviewer put it "you can bead this game just by hitting one button" ... not quite a selling statement in my book.

Is there variety to the gameplay or is it more about watching the story unfold?

[quote name='rodeojones903']I've only played for about 2 hours, but I still don't understand why square went with the slot machine idea of leveling up, instead of just earning exp. I don't like that leveling seems to be based off of luck. The graphics, presentation, and animations are jaw dropping though.[/QUOTE]

HT: In regards to leveling up, it is actually not random. The game counts experience points internally every time Zack defeats an enemy, and once a certain total is reached, a level gain is represented through the DMW.

source

I'm getting lost in the missions. Have done 5% of them, and kind of hesitant to go back to the main story.

[quote name='SynGamer']Girlfriend beat it last night. Took about 18 hours and she only completed 32% of the missions but according to the games director, they had to cut A LOT of stuff.

"Due to schedules and the memory concerns they had with the UMD, Hajime Tabata said, "a good deal of it ended up on the cutting room floor." The story they originally had featured episodes that were more detailed in nature. They also intended to add a multiplayer mode using the PSP network function, but that, too, wasn't fully realized in the final version."

Source[/quote]

Uncut PS3 Version!?!?!?

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']What are your opinions of the gameplay? I've thought about picking this up but as one reviewer put it "you can bead this game just by hitting one button" ... not quite a selling statement in my book.

Is there variety to the gameplay or is it more about watching the story unfold?[/quote]

That's why I'm obsessed with the insanely difficult, out-of-my-league missions. They take what's kind of a simple/easy battle system and make it very strategic, especially when you get stronger attacks that have a delay before they happen or are cast.

Lot's of depth for those that want it, or you can breeze through the main story mode.

I mean the gameplay... It is based off an RPG series so I don't get the gripe. This isn't God of War. The FF series as more of less always been the same sort of combat system, but presented in different ways.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I mean the gameplay... It is based off an RPG series so I don't get the gripe. This isn't God of War. The FF series as more of less always been the same sort of combat system, but presented in different ways.[/quote]
If this is the case I'm all for buying it, the review I read made it seem like it was nothing but a single-button masher. From the videos I've seen though, you can use magic and items as well, correct?

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']If this is the case I'm all for buying it, the review I read made it seem like it was nothing but a single-button masher. From the videos I've seen though, you can use magic and items as well, correct?[/quote]

Correct. You can mass X to keep attacking, but you can also, Dodge, and Block attacks along with using magic.

Yeah if you want, I think you can win by just button mashing X and leaving it on the default attack. The gamespot review explains things pretty well .

he Good
* Incredible and poignant story, starring a likable and complex hero
* Every aspect of the production design, from cutscenes to voice acting, is utterly amazing
* The DMW is a weird but fun way of leveling up
* Enjoyable and addictive combat .

The Bad
* Combat is on the easy side
* Player has no control over limit breaks and leveling.
I'm happy to hear the story "ranks among the franchise's best" because that is why I usually play these games. I'm not a big RPG fan but within 5 minutes I was loving this one a lot.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yeah if you want, I think you can win by just button mashing X and leaving it on the default attack. The gamestop review explains things pretty well .

I'm happy to hear the story "ranks among the franchise's best" because that is why I usually play these games. I'm not a big RPG fan but within 5 minutes I was loving this one a lot.[/QUOTE]

Well their complaint(and mine) with the leveling system has been proven to be false. The leveling is not random.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Well their complaint(and mine) with the leveling system has been proven to be false. The leveling is not random.[/quote]

Yeah, there's already a chart on Gamefaqs detailing the level up system. Why they decided to make those stats invisible, I have no idea...

Plus, I've received multiple level ups very close together, seemingly at random. I assume I was just a low level on a really hard mission, with enemies that were worth a lot.

On a different note, has anyone gotten any of the (mention of higher level spells, not sure if anyone would be spoiled)
Hell or Tri elemental spells? Tri-Thundaga is amazing :)

I love that some of the later missions, you can literally spam a spell like that and do about
25,000 points of damage 4 times in a row
and they don't die, it makes for some very epic battles.

Put in about 3 hours so far, this game is amazing. I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy either (FF7 being the exception of course), nevertheless I find the presentation, combat, and story all very compelling. Crisis Core will definitely be my "main game" for quite a bit.

[quote name='saadman']I think Sony may be banking that Crisis Core could be a serious system seller, that would be my only reasoning for it not to be ported to PS2.

It would be a supreme punch in the face if they put it up on PSN for download to PS3 or something.[/QUOTE]

once the sales, slow down to a certain point.. they can always release a PS2 version to reignite some sales.. especially if it has some extra content.. give the Metal Gear VR Mission treatment..

[quote name='johnnypark']Yeah, there's already a chart on Gamefaqs detailing the level up system. Why they decided to make those stats invisible, I have no idea...

Plus, I've received multiple level ups very close together, seemingly at random. I assume I was just a low level on a really hard mission, with enemies that were worth a lot.

On a different note, has anyone gotten any of the (mention of higher level spells, not sure if anyone would be spoiled)
Hell or Tri elemental spells? Tri-Thundaga is amazing :)

I love that some of the later missions, you can literally spam a spell like that and do about
25,000 points of damage 4 times in a row
and they don't die, it makes for some very epic battles.[/quote]
I thought it was fairly obvious that it wasn't random. I remember actually calculating the odds of triple 7s. =) You'll also notice it doesn't happen as often as hitting triples for any other numbers. As for those higher level spells,
it's pretty useful to use Hell Elemental + Status Guard. I think Hell protects from Death which becomes an absolute necessity on the later missions.

The game is pretty easy if you play it on Normal. When I first started out I played on hard and uh... yeah, when I got back down to Normal it was a sigh of relief, but it was kinda disappointingly easy. I would kill a lot of bosses before they did their ultra cool super attacks. Eventually I did come around to playing on hard, and it becomes absolutely necessary to do missions... you also learn how to block real fast, something I never did in normal.
In either Chapter 3 or 4...
when you explore the Mako reactor, Sahagin's with jump will kill you in one hit. Blocking isn't reliable because they can land behind you, so you have to dodge perfectly. Good luck when you fight two of them =)
That last boss on hard was terrible too. It took me 2 hours and all of my phoenix downs and I died. =(

[quote name='kainzero']I thought it was fairly obvious that it wasn't random. I remember actually calculating the odds of triple 7s. =) You'll also notice it doesn't happen as often as hitting triples for any other numbers. As for those higher level spells,
it's pretty useful to use Hell Elemental + Status Guard. I think Hell protects from Death which becomes an absolute necessity on the later missions.

The game is pretty easy if you play it on Normal. When I first started out I played on hard and uh... yeah, when I got back down to Normal it was a sigh of relief, but it was kinda disappointingly easy. I would kill a lot of bosses before they did their ultra cool super attacks. Eventually I did come around to playing on hard, and it becomes absolutely necessary to do missions... you also learn how to block real fast, something I never did in normal.
In either Chapter 3 or 4...
when you explore the Mako reactor, Sahagin's with jump will kill you in one hit. Blocking isn't reliable because they can land behind you, so you have to dodge perfectly. Good luck when you fight two of them =)
That last boss on hard was terrible too. It took me 2 hours and all of my phoenix downs and I died. =([/quote]

I started on Hard, too, because that's the only way I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1, but man was that a mistake. I couldn't make it past the 1st Wutai mission due to how hard it was... that battle in the courtyard with the sentries on the wall took me so many tries I gave up.

With regard to the
Hell Materia, I'm just using a Safety Bit for now. That's what I'm ultimately going to do, but I'm working on a master HP+ right now. Yes, it's already mastered by level, but since I got the Black Cowl (99,999 HP limit) I've been using fusion to increase it. It's currently at 720%, and I'm on level 49 or 50, giving me a max HP of about 32,000.

I swear, it makes me so happy to go into a mission all suped up like this, and still get my ass handed to me. You really have to fight the system and use it to your advantage.

Has anyone else got to this kind of level? My potions currently
heal more than Curaga (about 6,000 HP to 8,000, respectively).

Not sure if the spoilers are necessary, but I enjoyed finding all this stuff on my own, so I'm gonna keep using them.

I want this game so bad, but I really don't think I can buy another game until GTAIV (and that should probably be the last of 2008). I'm glad it turned out well--they could have easily phoned this in.

[quote name='defiance_17']I want this game so bad, but I really don't think I can buy another game until GTAIV (and that should probably be the last of 2008). I'm glad it turned out well--they could have easily phoned this in.[/quote]

Well they kind of did. They communicate with cellphones! lollercoaster!

Seriously, it is a pretty sweet game. The action is good, the story so far is great and I like the cutscenes. Well worth the money and not a halfassed cash in.

[quote name='Kendal']Well they kind of did. They communicate with cellphones! lollercoaster!

Seriously, it is a pretty sweet game. The action is good, the story so far is great and I like the cutscenes. Well worth the money and not a halfassed cash in.[/quote]

Dirge of Cerberus?

5.5 hours in and I love it. I am finding the seperate missions really addictive. It's just the right about of depth and fun button mashing for a portable. And with this prequel I can't help but think that the remake has to be around the corner. It's like they're building towards something. I seem to remember a huge Tokyo even last week that game journalists were going to. Shane from EGM was on the 1UP Podcast and he said that he couldn't talk about what he saw there but that it was huge and awesome. I wonder? Here's to hopin'! Till then this game is really great. I just hope I can strech it out a bit more and finish everything off. I've been waiting for a game like this as I really loved the original when it came out.

Maybe a dumb ? but i just got through the first Wutai part where you fight ifrit, should i have leveled up by now, or is it truely that random?

[quote name='johnnypark']I started on Hard, too, because that's the only way I really enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1, but man was that a mistake. I couldn't make it past the 1st Wutai mission due to how hard it was... that battle in the courtyard with the sentries on the wall took me so many tries I gave up.

With regard to the
Hell Materia, I'm just using a Safety Bit for now. That's what I'm ultimately going to do, but I'm working on a master HP+ right now. Yes, it's already mastered by level, but since I got the Black Cowl (99,999 HP limit) I've been using fusion to increase it. It's currently at 720%, and I'm on level 49 or 50, giving me a max HP of about 32,000.

I swear, it makes me so happy to go into a mission all suped up like this, and still get my ass handed to me. You really have to fight the system and use it to your advantage.

Has anyone else got to this kind of level? My potions currently
heal more than Curaga (about 6,000 HP to 8,000, respectively).

Not sure if the spoilers are necessary, but I enjoyed finding all this stuff on my own, so I'm gonna keep using them.[/quote]
Man, you're working on this game FAST. I don't remember getting all those cool items in what, 2-3 days? And I HAD to play to earn my paycheck =)
Wutai was tough. Especially when you get to those stupid horse thingies that shoot fire. I think they did like, 80%, so you had to be well healed and be able to dodge the next hit. Come to think of it, I had no idea how I did it, let alone get to the last boss... -_-;

Looks like you figured out the materia fusion pretty easy. We had this mega complicated chart on how to convert materia... I really didn't see the importance of stats until later, and how much it helps to get the
Moogle Limit
because I missed the first go around. I think it's in the Wutai Missions somewhere.

Oh yeah, it SUUUCKS when you hit those big bull enemies that have
Wall that can't be dispelled.
I only got to play for 2-3 weeks before I moved on to a much better job and I didn't get to spend that much time on it, but my other coworker who also got stuck with the requirement to beat the game on hard from the start, he said the materia
GP Rain
was pretty broken. So yeah. =)

Ya'll should be impressed with the last mission though... I got destroyed even with debug. Hahah =)

i just dropped by frys and picked up crisis core and a psp. well i know for some, crisis core would be a system seller, but crazy enough, for the 15 mins i was at frys, i saw 2 other guys picking up crisis core and a psp.

to say the least, i'm looking forward to playing through this title, hopefully no more disappointments...

Loving the game. I really like the optional missions. I am stuck on this one where you have to fight a solo giant. If he hits me just once I am dead. I think the key is magic attack from a distance but have had little luck so far.

I love the side missions. They're so addicting... quite hard to put it down and get on with the actual story.

The first time I played the Japanese version, I breezed through the story without even giving the side missions a second thought. A few of the bosses gave me a lot of trouble but for the English version, I've been doing so many side missions that the bosses are just way too easy. Yet... I can't stop...! Well, I had my go-around with the Japanese version when it came out.

I only own a Ps3 and dont own a Psp yet but I think it would be awesome if the ps2 could get this port by xmas 08 so ps2 owners and ps3 owners could enjoy this game.

Im very tempted in buying a psp just to play this game though.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I only own a Ps3 and dont own a Psp yet but I think it would be awesome if the ps2 could get this port by xmas 08 so ps2 owners and ps3 owners could enjoy this game.

Im very tempted in buying a psp just to play this game though.[/QUOTE]

I hope it doesn't get ported.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I've only played for about 2 hours, but I still don't understand why square went with the slot machine idea of leveling up, instead of just earning exp. I don't like that leveling seems to be based off of luck. The graphics, presentation, and animations are jaw dropping though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']What are your opinions of the gameplay? I've thought about picking this up but as one reviewer put it "you can bead this game just by hitting one button" ... not quite a selling statement in my book.

Is there variety to the gameplay or is it more about watching the story unfold?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rodeojones903']Well their complaint(and mine) with the leveling system has been proven to be false. The leveling is not random.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why they did what they did with this. When it was first announced, I thought it was going to be a real, turn based RPG. There was so much stuff to explore from that world, that a prequel could have been a really great game...so why did they make it some kind of action thing with random elements?

I *HATE* slot machine type gameplay. Do you actually have to try to hit combos, or can you totally ignore it? Just so weird.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I hope it doesn't get ported.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why anyone would WANT it on another platform. All things being equal I prefer my games on a mobile platform-that way I can even play them anywhere I want around the house, let alone being able to take it elsewhere (well, I do drag my 360 around with me sometimes, but...)

Anyone know if there's been more than 1 guide published? I saw someone say in another thread that the guide was like 289 pages, but I've seen multiple online listings for the Brady guide as being 256 pages? Can anyone confirm this for me?

I usually don't care about guides, but it looks really nice and I've heard it has a lot of back story / info that you may not get out of the main game, which interests me greatly.

the bradygames guide is 270 pages if you don't count the advertisements (or poster) in the back.

the guide for the game (secrets section) ends on page 259. the remainder is art.

I love it being an action RPG, and I like the lotto system of leveling up much better than the traditional Final Fantasy combat/stat system. It's probably why I like Crisis Core more than any of the other Final Fantasy games.

its a great great game for the psp i hadnt used my psp since liberty city stoies came out and now its gettin non stop play! only downside is that stupid voice that goes off when u r about to fight shit is annoyin as hell after a couple of hours into the game!

frys electronics is selling it for 32 bux, today is the last day, but im still not entierly convinced if i should pick this up or not. with the past games based on ff7, im still skeptical about this game.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I *HATE* slot machine type gameplay. Do you actually have to try to hit combos, or can you totally ignore it? Just so weird.[/QUOTE]
You don't control it. You can ignore it until you hit the jackpot. It runs in the background and only comes to the foreground when you may have a limit break/level up/etc.

[quote name='thisjustanother']frys electronics is selling it for 32 bux, today is the last day, but im still not entierly convinced if i should pick this up or not. with the past games based on ff7, im still skeptical about this game.[/quote]

This isn't a cheap cash in. It is solid.

[quote name='terribledeli']the bradygames guide is 270 pages if you don't count the advertisements (or poster) in the back.

the guide for the game (secrets section) ends on page 259. the remainder is art.[/quote]
In other words, it's a guide worth paying full price for ???

It's pretty well done.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do it, but the cashier at my local Gamestop had this coupon for 20% off the guide (Promo #2835) without having to purchase the game through them. Came to $14.39 before tax.

I'd say it's worthwhile for under $15.

[quote name='pete5883']You don't control it. You can ignore it until you hit the jackpot. It runs in the background and only comes to the foreground when you may have a limit break/level up/etc.[/QUOTE]

Okay, thanks. That's good at least.

EDIT: I just realized you helped with Professor Layton info too :)

[quote name='SQComets55']its a great great game for the psp i hadnt used my psp since liberty city stoies came out and now its gettin non stop play! only downside is that stupid voice that goes off when u r about to fight shit is annoyin as hell after a couple of hours into the game![/quote]

Yeah the voice is a little annoying but I toned it out now.. Ah another Great game you should check if you like RPG's for the PSP is Brave Story.

** just as a heads up for people who still have not purchased this yet Bestbuy hustled the hell out of people with the pre-order for the fancy cover crap because 2 BB I have been to so far all have a ton of copies in stock and they all have the fancy shiny cover.

bread's done
Back