CU student writes "satire" call for "War on Asians"

How can you read the whole thing and not find out that it is satire? People that dense deserve all the offense they can handle.

They are right not to apologize for it.

[quote name='CannibalCrowley']Actually, whites tend to take the brunt of it and are expected to just take it instead of getting offended like the other racial groups.

Evidence:

Imagine the outrage if he would have posted: " Stupid fucking spic."[/quote]

or stupid fucking negro, or the "n" word, or even just stupid fucking black person. mr. jackson would be on TV preaching up a storm against them.

Oh, so now we can pretend that that whole period of time where minorities were treated like complete shit just didn't happen? "Whites take the bunt of it." When have whites in America been oppressed as bad as minorities? Open your eyes. Shit is the way it is for a reason. Not saying it's right, I'm saying that I understand.

[quote name='GTzerO']Oh, so now we can pretend that that whole period of time where minorities were treated like complete shit just didn't happen? "Whites take the bunt of it." When have whites in America been oppressed as bad as minorities? Open your eyes. Shit is the way it is for a reason. Not saying it's right, I'm saying that I understand.[/quote]

People have treaded other people like shit throughout history and still do. Blacks enslaved blacks long before white men stepped foot on Africa and treat each other much more horribly than they are supposedly mistreated in the United States. In the Middle East, Asians kill each other over religion in much larger numbers than the temporary misplacement they endured during WW2.

Before you spout off about how whites mistreated others, remember how well off they are as a result of living in this country today instead of whining about how people in the past were mistreated.

It's also important to remember that a large chunk of blacks/Asians immigrated here after the "bad stuff" passed, even Obama doesn't have a lineage of slavery at the hands of whites, at least in the United States, so would it be proper for him to say, "that offends me because my ancestors were enslaved and your words bring back memories"?

If racist statements are to bring painful memories regardless of one's ancestry, then why should the current individual's skin color matter? People of all races and religion have been maltreated throughout history, it is just a matter of what decade or continent.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']People have treaded other people like shit throughout history and still do. Blacks enslaved blacks long before white men stepped foot on Africa and treat each other much more horribly than they are supposedly mistreated in the United States. In the Middle East, Asians kill each other over religion in much larger numbers than the temporary misplacement they endured during WW2.

Before you spout off about how whites mistreated others, remember how well off they are as a result of living in this country today instead of whining about how people in the past were mistreated.[/quote]

Funny, I thought we were talking about American society. I sure did specify that we were.

Notice how I used the terms " whites" and "minorities". Minorities is a very broad term that can range from gays to Jewish people ( in America ), yet you only use race. Why is this?

Also, Africans had Africans as salves, but do we know if the treatment was similar, better, or worse. ? "Their" temporary misplacement? You mean the Japanese Americans? Why are you comparing the treatment of Japanese Americans during World War II to the Civil Wars in the Middle East? Why did you use that big blanket term, " Asian"?

Are you saying that slavery and Japanese internment are the only and/or most severe examples of those respective races being oppressed by whites?

Why did you choose some of the most negative examples of events in Africa and Asia and then make that statement? Do you know how Asia and Africa are? Can we really use individual events to describe how it is in those countries? Do we really know if "they" are better off in America?

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO']It's also important to remember that a large chunk of blacks/Asians immigrated here after the "bad stuff" passed, even Obama doesn't have a lineage of slavery at the hands of whites, at least in the United States, so would it be proper for him to say, "that offends me because my ancestors were enslaved and your words bring back memories"?

[/quote]

No, it wouldn't be proper for him to say that. That is pure fluff. Are you trying to add meaning to a feeling? Are you trying to understand why people don't enjoy being called racial slurs but are having a hard time? Open your mind. Minorities know that they don't have memories of how their ancestors were treated, they know this. Yet they still affect them. Why?

[quote name='willardhaven']It makes no sense to have the same cultural transgressions become acceptable simply because a more talented person is performing them.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by "it makes no sense". To me, it makes perfect sense. For example, Dorothy Parker was almost always able to speak her mind on taboo topics of her day such as race and feminism because she was so talented at defusing the situation with humor while also cutting to the heart of the issue with her rapier wit. If an average woman of her time had attempted to voice the same opinions using plain speech, the gears of society would have wound in place to silence her through shame or isolation. Being that humans are imperfect, oftentimes a charismatic leader is needed to break through negative cultural norms.

[quote name='willardhaven']P.S. Who's your avatar? Looks sort of like Desmond from Lost.[/quote]

My avatar is Dr. Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Gallactica. Funny thing is that he speaks with an English accent (and Desmond's is Scottish), so I would imagine you're not the first to make that connection.

[quote name='SpiderLocMTGO'] People of all races and religion have been maltreated throughout history, it is just a matter of what decade or continent.[/quote]

Which ethnic group has been persecuted more- the Jews or the Germans? :roll:

[quote name='camoor']Not sure what you mean by "it makes no sense". To me, it makes perfect sense. For example, Dorothy Parker was almost always able to speak her mind on taboo topics of her day such as race and feminism because she was so talented at defusing the situation with humor while also cutting to the heart of the issue with her rapier wit. If an average woman of her time had attempted to voice the same opinions using plain speech, the gears of society would have wound in place to silence her through shame or isolation. Being that humans are imperfect, oftentimes a charismatic leader is needed to break through negative cultural norms.
[/quote]

I was just calling people out for being nonsensical, or as you put it "imperfect".

I like that the idiotic article that started this thread has led to some interesting and thought-provoking comments.

I'd probably be giving the author to much credit in saying that this was his original intent.

[quote name='willardhaven']I was just calling people out for being nonsensical, or as you put it "imperfect".[/quote]

I'd go a step further and say that the race issue is really out-of-control in America. I think the fear of being misinterpreted has thrown up barriers between people.

[quote name='willardhaven'] I like that the idiotic article that started this thread has led to some interesting and thought-provoking comments.

I'd probably be giving the author to much credit in saying that this was his original intent.[/quote]

Agreed - IMO the article was an attempt at satire, however given the climate the author has to be a complete idiot.

[quote name='camoor']I'd go a step further and say that the race issue is really out-of-control in America. I think the fear of being misinterpreted has thrown up barriers between people.

[/quote]

I agree.

Since we are talking about race, I have a question: Why is it that some people tend to try hard to say that an entire race of people does something? At school, I've heard people try to say that all white people use the pronunciation "ant" instead of " aunt". I've heard someone say that all Asian people write the same way. Not only are these huge generalizations for such subjective terms, but they are completely irrelevant. Yet that doesn't stop these people from making these comments.

I suppose I am being a tight ass here, but when these people say these things they are being serious. This is what they actually believe. I think it has to do with a barrier, but not the kind you mentioned above. I need to figure out what their motivation is for thinking that way. I don't want to end it all on "They're all ignorant and close-minded ", because then I would become that.

whoa we've spiraled out of control here. As we've clearly fallen to Godwin's Law there's really no point in this 'discussion' anymore. two days and i'm ghost.

[quote name='Wolfkin']whoa we've spiraled out of control here. As we've clearly fallen to Godwin's Law there's really no point in this 'discussion' anymore. two days and i'm ghost.[/quote]

You're the one who bumped it.....

bread's done
Back