Culdcept Saga - Out Now!

Well, I ordered it. Should be in next week. I got it primarilly as a game to play with my fiancee...then I read this:

I keep coming back to Culdcept's multiplayer, but it is obviously going to be a big draw for this game. Will the game support multiple local players in an online match? For example, if a pair of players is in the same room, will they be able to both join and play with two other players located elsewhere?

In order to make the gameplay fair for all people, the game does not feature local player + online match support. The issue which we anticipated is that some players may want to increase their odds of winning online by playing with more than one in-game characters. This would make the game unfair to those who are playing on their own, as it would be possible for the offending player to collude and tip the scales of balance in their favor. Of course, not all players will break the rules like this to win, but we want to deter this kind of activity as much as possible.

So they removed the ability for players to form a local team to play online together just in case some someone with two or three gold accounts just happens to want to play as his own team? Does anyone think that's a pretty lame excuse? Oh well. I guess we still have local multiplayer...

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the game. I'm disappointed that you can't save your online games to finish at a later time. It sucks they don't let you play online with multiple people on one console. I can see the point for ranked games, but they absolutely should have allowed this feature for player matches. There are also some interface things that drive me crazy, like not being able to view the map when you approach a split in a path and have to choose which way to go. Someone please tell me I'm just missing something there, because it's total dogshit when I land on an enemies leveled up space just because I couldn't see it and chose the wrong path.

You can press the Y button at any time to see the map, and after you roll the dice it shows arrow indicators of anywhere you will land.

Overall I think the game is great. The only thing I find slightly annoying is I don't know what some spells or enchantments do that are effects of creature cards so they don't explain what they do.

Finally got around to finding a copy of the game. Will be loading it up tonight to run through some of the single player as a refresher before heading online.

Im seriously debating on going to pick this up today.. got a 50 and a 20 dollar giftcard at best buy.. and 30 at circuit city.. mhhh -_-

[quote name='halfbent']My lack of funds is killing me picking up this game right now. ;)[/QUOTE]

My lack of a 360 is keeping me from playing this right now :(

(Damn red lights!)

[quote name='Pr0JectNymPh0!']What's the best deal for this game? I'm planning on picking it up :)[/QUOTE]

Probably Buy.com w/ GCO--$28.99 w/ free shipping at that point. If you're not able to do that, probably just the 10% off GS coupon...

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Probably Buy.com w/ GCO--$28.99 w/ free shipping at that point. If you're not able to do that, probably just the 10% off GS coupon...[/quote]

Or cc discount card works as well if youve used the hell out of GCO @_@

Ive got 5 10 dollar gc's from buying turok/dmc4 for friends.. forgot to tell them about the free gc.. *oops*

So its either this or LO.. mhhh

I had added this to my Gamefly queue even I never played a Culdcept game before. Right now I'm torn on the game. I've beaten the first four levels and am in the middle of my marathon first online game. I really love the gameplay, but there are a lot of negative aspects of the game. For one all of the games last WAY too long. This wouldn't be an issue in the single player if you could suspend and pick back up right where you left off, but when you go to suspend it gives you a warning that there is some stuff you lose by suspending. In the online games I just ran into a SOB who is letting all of this turns time out. Then at the end of the game he dropped right before I won so I didn't get the achievement for playing with 3 people.

Anybody have problems playing this game? I just got it today, pop it in then I got dreaded disc read error screen pop up even though disc is in flawless condition. I'm going to try it a few times before I'm going contact Namco about this situation. My other xbox 360 games worked fine.

Yea I liked the demo but the reviews say the game is good but not great. They all talk about the lame voice acting and tacked on story. Well it's all about the card battles and board domination anyways right. I'll prob get it when it comes down in price as well. For now I'll play the demo.

bb shows it coming tuesday.
i had some business there and thought id pick it up but oh well.
im gona play the demo over the week before i buy it.

[quote name='paz9x']bb shows it coming tuesday.
i had some business there and thought id pick it up but oh well.
im gona play the demo over the week before i buy it.[/quote]

Fry's $37.99 price (saw copies at Palo Alto Fry's) is good till the 12th right? I'd like to pricematch and use a $5 Reward Zone coupon...

I decided to send this sucker back in. Its simply too time-consuming to be a primary game for me. I just beat the 7th level and the match lasted 3 hours. That was my second attempt at that level too. I will pick it up later if I can find it for

I got DMC4 this/last week, but I'm hoping to pick this up Mon-Tue at Fry's on their deal. I loved, loved the PS2 version of this game.

Ya, played the demo last night, I can understand the confusion about how to play this game. There were a couple parts that left me scratching my head. I'd definitely pick this up for about $20, but not much more.

Note that Gamefly is offering to let me keep this game for $31.99, so that is a much better deal than Fry's if you have a Gamefly membership.

Well, I'm a bit disappointed to see so little interest in this (and I haven't seen a single person on my FL playing it). I just picked up my copy at Gamestop last night. At least it was only $36 due to the 10% off coupon. It also had a "Mini Strategy Guide" rubber banded to it - is this some sort of Gamestop preorder deal? I hadn't heard of it before :lol:. As for the game itself, I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else - not at Target or Fred Meyer in any case. I'm guessing this game has a pretty low print run - not that it won't be bargain bin fodder with how little interest everyone seems to have in it. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or not now...

Ok i got a Q from someone who never played the PS2 vesion..how do win the battle? casue the first battle seems like as if it was going on forever...

[quote name='xeno']Ok i got a Q from someone who never played the PS2 vesion..how do win the battle? casue the first battle seems like as if it was going on forever...[/quote]

The battles all have a score limit you have to cross. The first one to hit the score limit and reach the castle wins.

I got a replacement copy from the store I bought it from. I won't be play this anytime soon when I got Lost Odyssey. I only open to test it out, just to make sure I won't get another defective copy.

got this last night. I don't know when I'll be able to figure out what is wrong with my router but you can add me if you're looking for someone to play

I picked this up earlier this week and I've got mixed opinions on it. I'm a big fan of both Magic: The Gathering and Monopoly so I figured a mix between the two would be right up my alley. I like the core gameplay, its just that everything drags on way too long. There's this lull in the middle part of matches where nothing particularly exciting happens. Just like in Monopoly, after everyone has all their properties bought and their hotels built and you're just kind of waiting for someone to land on that one spot that will completely screw them. That's the same thing you're doing here and it just takes forever for anything significant to happen. I just don't think this sort of thing translates very well to a video game.

That said, I may warm up to the game once I'm more familiar with the system and I've got enough cards to start building decks with a specific purpose in mind. I also haven't tried taking this online yet. I'm not entirely sure I have any friends whom I'd want to make sit though this.

The first level took me forever (5 losses before winning, but then won coliseum on first attempt). I think I just needed to figure out the right balance for my deck and get some cool cards. Was hoping to find some CAG'sto play with on here... 4 player over live has got to be fun, although no doubt time-consuming.

Gonna go see how my crappy deck holds out online.

I enjoyed the demo but not sure that I want to spend 40.00 on the game.
I had no idea that it was out on the PS2. I tried to find it on gamestop's site to see if any area stores had it in stock but I can only find Culdcept Saga for the 360.

Heh, reading comments here really shows how different my gaming taste has gotten from most peoples. I love this game, it's the best $40 (well, $36) I spent on a game in a long time now.

Anyway, my only issues with the game involve the online mode:

1) Why can't I choose to put AI opponents in an online match? I can understand them leaving out this option for ranked matches, but for private matches it makes no sense - especially considering how few people are actually playing the game online. I'd love to be able to play w/ a friend of mine online & toss in a couple of AI opponents.

2) The online Alliance matches - if you can actually get in one - are buggy. I finally managed to get in one on Sat. night, but about a quarter of the way into the match it told me everyone else dropped & replaced the other 3 ppl w/ AI. I was in a private chat w/ my friend who I was teamed up with, and he said I was the one who dropped - so basically, the game split. From what I'm hearing, this is a common problem with Alliance matches.

Here's hoping they port this to the PS3. I have a feeling it will have a better time finding an audience over there, plus I won't have to spend $50 on a memory card so that I can play face-to-face with a friend.

Something similar happened to me last night. I was still voice chatting with one of the other players who was stuck on a battle scene. I was like, dude, that was 3 rounds ago. His 360 told him I was the one who dropped yet I was still playing. And eventually I spent the remaining 30 minutes playing by myself.

I need to play more offline to build up my decks, these guys had many multiples of cards that I haven't seen, and were able to build good themes and combos.

[quote name='lunchboxfett']I enjoyed the demo but not sure that I want to spend 40.00 on the game.
I had no idea that it was out on the PS2. I tried to find it on gamestop's site to see if any area stores had it in stock but I can only find Culdcept Saga for the 360.[/QUOTE]

I was able to pick up the PS2 original new at gamestop today for $20. Good for resale, but i'm giving it to my 360-less cousin who enjoyed playing it...

I'm thinking about getting this game b/c I enjoyed the demo. I'm just afraid I don't have enough time to play it b/c each game takes a long time, the demo even took me awhile to finally win.. =/

I received a $10 off to GS.com and can get this game + free strategy guide for $30+shipping so I'm thinking about it.. anyone know if this is a full on strat guide or a mini-guide as I've seen on ebay. Do you think this game will become "rare" or hard to find? I may buy it and keep them sealed until I really DO want to play or just sell it hoping to make what I paid.

Picked this up yesterday used at a Gamestop. It is a pretty kickass game for $30 ($35 - $7 Edge/coupon). Still getting the game balance mechanics, but I heartily recommend this to anyone who likes boardgames. I'll be playing on Live in a couple of days.

[quote name='davyd']Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone used the Japanese xbl account "trick" to try and download the DLC content for this game? Wondering if it would work or not.

http://www.culdcept.com/saga/marketplace.html

They have some maps, avatar parts, and book covers.[/quote]

I wish that could come over to the US version, but I highly doubt it. The DS version is probably a no-go as well (unless there are so many re-used cards that they don't have to translate much).

I started playing this weekend. Wow, tough game right off the bat there. I had to replay level 2 (though once I knew what I was doing I killed him the second time). I *almost* won the 3rd one but lost out by about 400 points. Meh - 2 hours down the drain... I still haven't quite figured out when certain bonuses apply - I think I have a sure win and then all of a sudden the opponent gets two attack bonuses (on top of the terrain one). WTF?

[quote name='io']I started playing this weekend. Wow, tough game right off the bat there. I had to replay level 2 (though once I knew what I was doing I killed him the second time). I *almost* won the 3rd one but lost out by about 400 points. Meh - 2 hours down the drain... I still haven't quite figured out when certain bonuses apply - I think I have a sure win and then all of a sudden the opponent gets two attack bonuses (on top of the terrain one). WTF?[/QUOTE]

It is really tough in beginning because you have extremely weak cards. You don't want to waste an hour or two of gameplay and eventually lose. Trust me, this game is very long with huge assortment of stages and even with best deck a battle will last you at least an hour. One of easiest way to earn cards is to create an AI profile and stuff their deck full of equipment and magic cards. Afterwards, head to vs play and customize the settings to 10 rounds. Play a stage and vs the custom AI. Dump a few creatures out on the board for an easy win.

For campaign missions, you want cards that will force your opponent to land a certain spot and hurt their gold supply which eventually fuel your spending spree. Put cards like holy word 1 or holy word 0. Even if they aren't even close to land your territories, you can slow their movement drastically. Of course, you will need some equipment cards. You don't want to invest a level 4-5 territory to be easily taken.

If your use to TCG(Trading Card Game), card advantage cards are must-have in your deck. These cards give you a free draw. Not only it improve your chances of rifling through your deck, it also makes your deck flow much faster. This is the reason why most TCG cards like Bill in Pokemon or Ancestral Recall or Pot of Greed in Yugioh are either restricted or ban. But some strange reason you can put 3 or 4 card of these type of cards in Culdcept. I think there are 2 card advantages cards in this game. One that gives a choice to pick a creature/spell/equipment out of your deck and the other is draw one card with 50 or 100 gold. These cards are a must have. I got really bad luck and one got one each. It still more then enough to improve your deck.

[quote name='fatbeer']It is really tough in beginning because you have extremely weak cards. You don't want to waste an hour or two of gameplay and eventually lose. Trust me, this game is very long with huge assortment of stages and even with best deck a battle will last you at least an hour. One of easiest way to earn cards is to create an AI profile and stuff their deck full of equipment and magic cards. Afterwards, head to vs play and customize the settings to 10 rounds. Play a stage and vs the custom AI. Dump a few creatures out on the board for an easy win.

If your use to TCG(Trading Card Game), card advantage cards are must-have in your deck. These cards give you a free draw. Not only it improve your chances of rifling through your deck, it also makes your deck flow much faster. This is the reason why most TCG cards like Bill in Pokemon or Ancestral Recall or Pot of Greed in Yugioh are either restricted or ban. But some strange reason you can put 3 or 4 card of these type of cards in Culdcept. I think there are 2 card advantages cards in this game. One that gives a choice to pick a creature/spell/equipment out of your deck and the other is draw one card with 50 or 100 gold. [highlight]These cards are a must have. I got really bad luck and one got one each.[/highlight] It still more then enough to improve your deck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip on the vs. play - I guess I wasn't aware you could get new cards that way (to use in the campaign)... I'm not really used to the whole card game thing. I tried level 4 four times now and have come in 2nd 3 times (and 3rd once).

Are you saying you had bad luck in only getting 2 of those special cards in your starter deck, or in all the time you've played? Because I've gone through several games now (the initial level, twice on the second one, and 4 times on the third) getting all sorts of cards but nothing like that. The last time I was trying to focus on two land types and using stonger cards like Ares. I was doing pretty good until I landed on a 2300+ spot and lost. But I'll do the vs. thing for a bit first and get some better stuff before going back to the campaign.

After my mediocre response playing this the first time, I'm liking it a lot more as I've come back to it (thanks to the Amazon dotd). It gets much better. After losing repeatedly on the first few levels I've only lost one or twice since then. I'm one that likes to learn through playing rather than reading the instructions, so it took me a little while to get used to the different effects and how things stacked. After about 10 games I started reading the help guide to get the details on a few effects that I wasn't able to figure out on my own.

As you go along the new cards add a lot to the game and there are also a few gameplay elements that get added. The games also speeds up. I have finished multiple later levels in under an hour.

I wouldn't focus too much on acquring a specific card. I don't have any cards in my deck that allow me to search for a specific card. I just watch for cards that the AI is using effectively and make small tweaks to my deck when I get new stuff.

FYI the Japanese account trick doesn't work with this game. I couldn't even find it on their marketplace?

Anyway, this game becomes a hundred times easier once you really start to use the terrain stage of your turn. Moving creatures around/invading enemy territory with adjacent creatures becomes absolutely necessary very quickly. Very rarely do I go through a turn without doing -anything-. If you passed a space that you own, there's almost always something you can do with it.

[quote name='davyd']Anyway, this game becomes a hundred times easier once you really start to use the terrain stage of your turn. Moving creatures around/invading enemy territory with adjacent creatures becomes absolutely necessary very quickly. Very rarely do I go through a turn without doing -anything-. If you passed a space that you own, there's almost always something you can do with it.[/quote]

It takes awhile to figure out how to plan your money. If you start plopping down creatures in every open territory and fighting every creature you encounter, you won't have any money left for territories. I have two key strategies I've developed that have been working out pretty well.

1) I never try to take a territory unless I have a creature to match the type. If the board is really full I may break this rule later in games.

2) Pay the minimum tolls unless you really want the territory. I play a green/red deck and will always just pay a minimum toll on blue/yellow.

Hah, that has been my problem jkanownik. I always seem to be out of money. Then when you end up losing and have to sell things off you have no chance. I need to be a little more selective I suppose. I'm also starting to pick two colors instead of taking all the best cards spread evenly as I did in the beginning. Still, I'm going to try a few vs matches to get some more stuff before going back to the campaign. It would be nice to see some results in under 2 hours for a change ;).

I have that little mini-strat guide from my Gamestop preorder. Maybe I'll finally take a look at that now that I know how the game works.

bread's done
Back