Dante's Inferno - From the studio behind Dead Space - February 9 - Demo is Out Now

[quote name='Rodimus']licensed from who? It's a 14th century poem.[/QUOTE]

Poem, see I knew that, my friend kept saying story...

[quote name='Rodimus']licensed from who? It's a 14th century poem.[/QUOTE]

This is true. It's so rare to see something besides movies made into games that I couldn't help using the term though. And there's another reason it's disappointing to see it made into a generic slasher.

[quote name='looploop']What a waste of a great license.[/quote]
Haha, first time I've ever heard 14th-century literature referred to as a "license."

They could've made a fascinating, epic world on the scale of Shadow of the Colossus
Yeah that would totally be much more faithful to the poem.

Come on CoffeEdge, he was just expressing his disappointment in the game, is it a real license? No but we all knew what he was talking about.

And yes, maybe a Shadow of the Colossus would have been more appealing than a generic hack and slash the same 5 demons with 10 seemingly copy pasted boss battles.

He isnt the only one in this thread that seemed disappointed by the demo.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']And GoW is a blatant Devil May Cry rip off. Who cares?

Because I don't like God of War. That simple.[/QUOTE]

Yes because kratos is packing heat and flipping through the air like an acrobat. And apparently not you but it makes for a pretty boring game when the developer tries nothing new.

Don't tell him that. He's one of those people that likes something and will defend it to the end no matter how bad it is.

[quote name='slickkill77']Wow this is just a blatant God of War rip off. Its almost sad how little they tried. Especially coming from the studio that made Dead Space. They might as well call it EA presents: God of War.

How can you like this game but not like God of War? Its the same damn game only GOW does it a hell of a lot better.[/QUOTE]

Easy; I'm tired of Kratos and I enjoyed Dante's Inferno (book).

The combat has no power to it. Your just pushing buttons and guys just go away. When you hit guys in GOW you feel powerful and you feel like your kicking ass. This game is just going through the motions.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yeah that would totally be much more faithful to the poem.[/QUOTE]

A focus on exploration and experiencing the circles of hell as a small, helpless soul instead being a death-killing crusader wading through hordes of identical demons? Yes, that would be more faithful to the poem. It would at least be more interesting.
It's just a wasted opportunity to do something special. I love Ninja Gaiden, GoW and DMC, but I've no desire to see the original Dante become a mere super-ninja.

enjoyed the game. But will only buy when its like 20 bucks later on down the line. My 2010 gaming schedule is already booked,

Darksiders > Bayonetta > Battlefield Bad Company 2 > FFXIII > Super Street Fighter 4 > Lost Planet 2

I liked the demo a lot, but I'm also quite fond of God of War. I also liked that there was roughly one boob a minute.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']So if you don't have a PS3, what's the harm in playing and liking this game?[/QUOTE]

People on the internet won't like you

I want to check out the demo but my 360 HDD is booked and my PS3 hasn't been connecting to the internet for a couple weeks =\

Delete some old DLC that you can always re-download, I really enjoyed the demo.

[quote name='freshzen']I want to check out the demo but my 360 HDD is booked and my PS3 hasn't been connecting to the internet for a couple weeks =\[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Apparently they're putting out a book based on this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345522230/[/QUOTE]

You mean this one:

dantes.jpg

[quote name='Soodmeg']Wait, they are putting a book out on a video game based on a book?

Uhhhh.....waaaa?[/QUOTE]
It's just the standard Dante's Inferno book.

I suppose its a low risk, high reward type of deal with selling it. Considering how old the Divine Comedy is, I'm pretty sure its in the public domain now. So yeah, if you're really curious about the actual story, save yourself some cash and just read it up for free on Google Books or something.

[quote name='Rodimus']You mean this one[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Rocko']Based on the "click to look inside", it's Dante's Inferno with a video game cover.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='eddie291']It's just the standard Dante's Inferno book.[/quote]

O rly? Yes, that's kind of the point I was getting at.

I think it's hilarious; EA is trolling literature epicly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll play this eventually for achievements (basically collect a bunch of stuff and beat the game, then beat the arena mode and get a 666 hit combo) but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it will entertain but clearly a poor man's God of War.

[quote name='freshzen']I'll play this eventually for achievements (basically collect a bunch of stuff and beat the game, then beat the arena mode and get a 666 hit combo) but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it will entertain but clearly a poor man's God of War.[/QUOTE]

A poor man's God of War and still $60. Can't say I'm NOT looking foward to this game though.

Finally tried the demo tonight, thought it was pretty good. Never played any of the God of Wars, so I can't make a comparison.

I was kind of thinking about pre-ordering this for the figure so I could resell the figure on eBay and get the game at launch for cheap but it looks like everyone (Game Stop, Game Crazy, Amazon) all are getting the same figure, so much for that. Maybe I'll try to trade Bayonetta for it assuming I continue playing Bayonetta for another 3-4 weeks.

I know im late to the party but I throughly enjoyed the demo. Probably not something I'll spend $60 on but easily worth $20 the way it shamelessly clones God of War - which is a good thing in this case.

I really liked the demo, not quite sure if I'll buy it at launch but, definitely want to check it out eventually.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Just a heads up the dante's inferno premium theme is currently free on xbox live. I'm guessing it's a mistake so jump on it now.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

So this game is what we all thought it was going to be. From the very first screen we all knew it was going to be a really polished GoW clone.

The most damning thing I am hearing about the game is the fact that the game play is so generic and dull. I am more disappointed hearing that they dont really focus on the scenery and presentation as much as I thought they would. Also I have heard more than a few reviewers talk about how repetitive the game gets towards the end.

My only motivation for playing this game is the design and presentation, which apparently seems to just be about tits.

On another message board I go to, a guy in Australia got it. He's 6-8 hours in and already on the last boss (who he said is hard. He changed the difficulty from normal to easy to beat him).

He liked the level designs, use of CGI/in-game/anime cut scenes, voice acting, story, setting, and being able to vary combat style between the scythe and cross.

He didn't like that some circles are really short, some just a boss fight. Fraud is basically 10 arena matches. No good puzzles, cross is broken, and boss fights are bland.

He was looking forward to it going in. Not someone who hated it or didn't think much of it.

That said, I'm not touching it until it's $30 or less. Maybe $35 if I'm bored. I was going to try to price match at Best Buy for $40 but not anymore.

Wow, I just finished Dante's last night...over all it was ok...but it was repetative...some of the parts were so damned hard, i had to replay them a few times...

I actaully enjoyed all of the animated cut scenes and alot of the fighting...
The story wasn't aweful, the fixed camera was terrible at times...The backdrop of the game was completely creepy and disturbing...if that is infact what hell is like...not sure I would want to go....probably on my way regardless

If your looking for a mindless game to check out and possbly max it out on achievments...i would check it out...alot of nudity(only spoiler)... I got 660/1000 in first play through

8/10

I think I'm probably the only person who bought this for full price and is loving it.

Admittedly, I'm a little unhappy that I spent $60 bucks on it because it's really short, but that first night of playing it for hours with a group of friends made it worth it, (some of the stuff in this game is so wonderfully fucked up. Bosses vomiting bodies, giant tits with mouths for nipples, slaughtering babies with knives for arms, etc. So awesome).

It probably helps that I only played the first God of War once several years ago, so this gameplay is fairly fresh to me, but from what I remember, I prefer the action/setting in Dante's...

bread's done
Back