Daria - The Complete Animated Series - May 11th - FINALLY!!!!!

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
center]

Daria - The Complete Animated Series on DVD will, according to the studio, contain "ALL FIVE SEASONS PLUS BOTH MOVIES!" The running time is 1606 minutes (almost 27 hours!), and video is listed as full screen. Audio specs haven't been provided yet, nor do we have pricing or package art so far. But for now here's a list of the bonus material that will be found on the set, and please stay tuned for updates!

* Pilot - Sealed With a Kick
* Music Video: Mystik Spiral Music Video "Freakin' Friends"
* Daria Day Intros
* Top Ten Video Countdown Hosted by Daria & Jane
* Cast & Crew Interviews
* Never Before-Seen Mystik Sprial spin-off script

Sorry if this isn't the right section.. there's really no forum for DVD announcements. I'm so freakin' excited for this!!! Amazon has a listing up, but no price yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UslR8AfIxBw

Mine showed up yesterday and i ordered it from daria on dvd with the shirt and it shipped like 3 days later. There is a note that mentions that they took out the music because it would be way to expensive to release otherwise.

[quote name='lmz00']By "people," I meant one of my friends.
32277_389058121721_709106721_4506103_6766413_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yea, b/c your friend ordered from MTV who shipped before release date (fulfilled by Amazon)

Hmm, I wonder if Best Buy has a 10% coupon going. After tax and coupon, it'd still be a little more expensive than DVDEmpire, but at least I could blow gift cards and reward zone certs on it.

That Maxx DVD... I love The Maxx, but I have such a hard time justifying purchasing a burned dvd... and for $15? Not sure.

However, I thought I'd share the cover I made for a set of Maxx dvd's I got through unofficial channels. Please bear with the site design - made it about 2 years ago and really need to update it, as I've learned a lot since then.

I might buy the $15 set; a lot of the reviews said it was of very good quality. Am curious what Kieth gets from the sale. Amazon apparently takes $5 for the dvd, and then 45% of the sale. Wonder if what's left over is further cut apart.

edit: also forgive the strange break in the word ever and the weird cut of julie winters. Looks like I really need to go back and fix the cover as well.

I had no idea this was a popular show. I remember watching it when it came out and being mad that bevis & butthead were gone. Never knew it had a second, let alone 3rd, 4th and 5th season, nor movies.... perhaps I'll check out a couple later episodes and see how it hits me.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yea, b/c your friend ordered from MTV who shipped before release date (fulfilled by Amazon)[/QUOTE]

:lol: Make me laugh.

I thought about ordering through the Daria website, but $3 for a shirt I'd never wear (and likely too big) was just not worth it to get it a few days early.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Hmm, DVDEmpire shipped my order today. That's pretty cool, I may wind up getting it on release date.[/QUOTE]

I've been checking on mine the last couple days, and I saw that mine shipped today as well!

[quote name='Rig']I've been checking on mine the last couple days, and I saw that mine shipped today as well![/QUOTE]
Suweet. I wonder if they do this with all orders. Kind of sad sites don't this this, or it's a feature you have to pay extra for.

I went to a Best Buy and checked to see if they had inventory of the Daria set. According the kiosk they had 5, but not on the shelf yet. :( I asked if they could get one from the backroom since I couldn't find it on the shelf, but unfortunately they looked it up and saw the release day was next Tuesday.

Hm, should I order this now or wait until later? Trying to figure out if the price will be any lower than this later on.

[quote name='gunm']Hm, should I order this now or wait until later? Trying to figure out if the price will be any lower than this later on.[/QUOTE]

IDK, I'm rather scared this will go the Batman Animated Series Complete Collection route and vanish to the realm of overpriced eBay buy within the month.

For those that have gotten their copies - What do you think? Is the video good quality? Is the removal of licensed music super-obvious or distracting? None of the reviews I've read mention anything about it yet.... Just curious, cause if they're not deal-breakers, then I just may have to break down and order a set.

[quote name='Rig']Got my copy from DVDEmpire in the mail today![/QUOTE]
Very nice. Mine was still in PA as of May 8th. No update on the DC# yet, hoping it's somehow in AZ today and about to be delivered tomorrow.

I received my shipment from DVD empire today. Nice job to them on the fast delivery.

The first disc has some scan artifacts on 2 fast moving scenes. I didn't note the ep / time. I didn't notice any problems on the 2nd disc or any in the first 2 eps on the 3rd.

As for the music, well, it wasn't horribly noticeable except in the 1st episode when Daria / Quinn / Jake mess with the radio and the music was like muzak. According to the note in the DVD pack, it wouldn't be released w/o stripping 99% of the music. I guess you take what you can get.

Just ordered from Best Buy per the other post at $27.50 for in-store pickup.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261026
We'll see if they honor the purchase when I go by there later.

I still have the VHS tapes I made during a couple Daria marathons MTV ran from like 11PM-3AM. We watched them enough but having the long long awaited set is pure awesomeness (one notch down though for lack of original music).

I had no idea it was coming out until I saw a piece in Entertainment Weekly on their Must List (ten items to take note of this week). I squealed inside.

[quote name='gunm']Hm, should I order this now or wait until later? Trying to figure out if the price will be any lower than this later on.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'd order from BB now :lol:

[quote name='Rig']Wow @ BB price!

Now, can I return my copy from DVDEmpire...?[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if I could return my copy from DVDEmpire when it arrives too...

I need to stop looking at parts of CAG other than videogames and wrestling because then I see still more things that I need when I already can't afford the videogames I want.

[quote name='RallyV']I was wondering if I could return my copy from DVDEmpire when it arrives too...[/QUOTE]

I've already opened mine, but, I'm sure I can put the new copy I (hopefully) get from BB back in the box for DVDEmpire. Not sure what their return policy is, but I'm sure it's returnable.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Ok, I'd order from BB now :lol:[/QUOTE]

lol. Amazon just matched BB, so I'm ordering from them. I think if I pre-ordered this and it was shipped out, I'd be mighty pissed off right about now.

alrighty everybody, check your discs. Five of the eight discs in my "new" case had scratches, the worst being disc 5 - it had scratches all over. Unacceptable. It's going back tomorrow.

//edit: Oh, fantastic. It's out of stock at my local store now. Maybe I'll just take it as is. I can buff out the scratches if it gives me trouble. I'd hate to do that, but I really want to watch this set tomorrow.

[quote name='gunm']lol. Amazon just matched BB, so I'm ordering from them. I think if I pre-ordered this and it was shipped out, I'd be mighty pissed off right about now.[/QUOTE]

LOL I was just thinking the same thing. I guess in this case the late bird catches the worm, or something like that.

This set really gives you a lot of bang for your buck. There are 65 episodes and 2 movies for $28. I'm looking forward to watching these and experiencing the nostalgia from my childhood.

I watched the pilot first (on the last disc??) then the first actual episode last night. I laughed out loud at least five times. Whee! Still fun after all these years.

Thanks for the heads-up on the disc scratches Scorch. I'll check that tonight.

[quote name='Scorch']alrighty everybody, check your discs. Five of the eight discs in my "new" case had scratches, the worst being disc 5 - it had scratches all over. Unacceptable. It's going back tomorrow.

//edit: Oh, fantastic. It's out of stock at my local store now. Maybe I'll just take it as is. I can buff out the scratches if it gives me trouble. I'd hate to do that, but I really want to watch this set tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Were they loose inside the case? I mean, damn Paramount, where did you find these cases, used your time machine to go back in time to 1999?

My discs were all minty.

[quote name='Scorch']alrighty everybody, check your discs. Five of the eight discs in my "new" case had scratches, the worst being disc 5 - it had scratches all over. Unacceptable. It's going back tomorrow.

//edit: Oh, fantastic. It's out of stock at my local store now. Maybe I'll just take it as is. I can buff out the scratches if it gives me trouble. I'd hate to do that, but I really want to watch this set tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Only one of my discs (disc 3) had any scratches (two) and they are really tiny. Not big enough to get upset about.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Were they loose inside the case? I mean, damn Paramount, where did you find these cases, used your time machine to go back in time to 1999?

My discs were all minty.[/QUOTE]

They weren't loose inside the case at all. Discs 6, 7 and 8 were fine. The first four had a few tiny marks, but disc 5 was just torn the hell up. I tried to get a picture but I couldn't. Best Buy is being pretty cool about the switch, but unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait two weeks to get a replacement set.. sigh.

Whew! No scratches. All were safely fastened. Perhaps scratched ones were loose in the case rubbing against the center prong.

All discs were securely fastened when I received it. To anyone that still has this set sealed, can you post a picture of it? Mine may have been a reseal. Top and side pictures, please.

I tried to watch the set.. disc 1 played fine, disc 2 wouldn't load, disc 3 would skip and freeze constantly for upwards of 3 seconds.. didn't try anything beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can safely say that the music is not an issue at this point. I've watched three full discs and while I acknowledge you can tell it was added in post-show, it never interrupts or feels so out of place as to be a bother. Besides, who wants old shitty pop songs MTV was playing at the time?

Also, the Morgandorfers eat a LOT of lasagna.

[quote name='Strell'] Also, the Morgandorfers eat a LOT of lasagna.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that also. Seems that's the only thing Jake can cook semi decently.

Guacamole anyone?

I just finished watching Daria I'm so happy I don't really notice the music changed too much it's been so long since I've seen it.

I'm really happy with the set for the price I got it for it was worth watching my favorite show.

I enjoyed the extras on the last DVD too.

bread's done
Back