Ionotropic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Update:
iconamazon.gif
Dark Souls Hardcover Guide $13.74

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled upon this whilst browsing. Happy preordering!

http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-...9783869930480?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

This is the direct link for the 5% discount. (thanks Jodou & Bumslie)
http://www.bookdepository.com/bts?ut...er-Academic-11
Looks like you need to go through the link & then apply promo code BTS2011 at check out on the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
picked up my guide from Gamestop today (REALLY wish I didn't have to give them my money, but Amazon left me no choice...). It is amazing. The quality is absolutely top notch. I have the Mass Effect 2 CE guide and in comparison it is crap.

The details in it are also ridiculous. They do not leave ANYTHING* out. I would recommend everyone buy this guide if you own or plan to own the game.

*they don't necessarily exclude the secret weapons, such as the Drake Sword, but they make it very annoyingly difficult to figure out how to get it. You have to look up the weapon in the weapon section and then look at the location (Helkite Dragon Tail for this example). Then when you find the location, if you are like "wtf does that even mean?" then you are S.O.L. but if you do kind of know what that means, you can go back into the guide to look up how to sever said tail. The guide part doesn't actually tell you that severing the tail will net you the sword, which is extremely annoying. That's my only gripe.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Via FB, so that's the timeframe we're looking at. Arrive to them by Monday then however long it takes for Book Depository to process it and fulfill orders.[/QUOTE]If they have it show up beginning of next week and it arrives within the GS return period, I'll just return the guide I have back to GS and consider the GS shipping charge I won't be getting back as hedging my bets on it from BD.

or having the enemy info in one section then the map in another 50 some odd pages away. Then the npc/npc maps for the same area is at the back of the book. So you need 2 or more book marks.

I wish they just had it by zone, and included everything from npcs, maps and monsters for that zone. It would save on paper cuts imo.

Don't get me wrong, the guide is great ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']I ended up ordering one from GS.com (which is still showing in-stock) and it's already shipped today. I'd suggest there as an option, since if BD ships theirs out, I'll return mine back to GS.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for this. Ordered two with GS credit (since my Amazon copy was on backorder and my bro forgot to order his) and they've already shipped. Just hope they arrive in good condition!

Did anyone else order thru the Book Depository? I ordered on the 1st, and it still says the guide is awaiting publication? I am getting tired of waiting for the guide, I have had the game since launch, but dont feel as thou I can get the most out of it, until I get the guide... Anyways, I might try and track down a copy of the guide at a local gamestop tomorrow, but I dont see anywhere on the bookdepository.com to cancle orders, how do you do that? and does anyone know how much the guide goes for @ Gamestop?

Stopped by my local gamestop and picked one up, they had 2 left. I also asked if they had any collectors editions and they did, though they were being held for a week...i hope someone forgets theirs lol : P

[quote name='supaman900s']Did anyone else order thru the Book Depository? I ordered on the 1st, and it still says the guide is awaiting publication? I am getting tired of waiting for the guide, I have had the game since launch, but dont feel as thou I can get the most out of it, until I get the guide... Anyways, I might try and track down a copy of the guide at a local gamestop tomorrow, but I dont see anywhere on the bookdepository.com to cancle orders, how do you do that? and does anyone know how much the guide goes for @ Gamestop?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the exact same boat. From what I could tell you have to submit a message to them with the order #. Not the best website from a customer service standpoint.

Picked up a guide from gamestop the other day. They only had 3 left when i got there. Very nice guide, worth the money. If you want to know everything there is about this game (and believe me theres a lot) get this now before you can't find it anymore and the price gets jacked up on eBay.

I cancelled my BD order a long time ago, before the "release date" for the guide, partly because the price dropped from my original order. But I started thinking about it, and realized that if the guide came all dented up and abused (possible with overseas shipping), I wouldn't have much recourse to getting it replaced. And all of that to save a lousy $7 or so? Not worth it. I just bought a copy from a local GS and it is in perfect condition, so sometimes it isn't worth saving a few bucks for the possible future hassle.

[quote name='supaman900s']Did anyone else order thru the Book Depository?[/QUOTE]

I ordered my guide by way of the Book Depository too, the status for it has been "Awaiting publication" since Tuesday. This isn't as much of a problem (albeit slightly annoying) in my case since I'll be receiving the actual game at a later date than I had hoped anyway.

I had placed an order for 2 guides (one for use and another for collecting) from Gamestop today and both have shipped! I would buy from them because they obviously still have these guides left. I had called a bunch of stores nearby my permanent home and where I currently live for school and they were all out - StL/columbia, MO area

[quote name='guardian_owl'][quote name='shrike4242']I asked BD about it, and they said that they're waiting on shipment from their supplier, and they're not sure when they would get them back in-stock.

I ended up ordering one from GS.com (which is still showing in-stock) and it's already shipped today. I'd suggest there as an option, since if BD ships theirs out, I'll return mine back to GS.[/QUOTE]
Future Press David, they didn't receive their batch yet. They should get it on Saturday/Monday. Sorry for the delay.19 hours ago
Via FB, so that's the timeframe we're looking at. Arrive to them by Monday then however long it takes for Book Depository to process it and fulfill orders.[/QUOTE]

For everyone that missed it on the previous page.

[quote name='lpfan41k']I had placed an order for 2 guides (one for use and another for collecting) from Gamestop today and both have shipped! I would buy from them because they obviously still have these guides left. I had called a bunch of stores nearby my permanent home and where I currently live for school and they were all out - StL/columbia, MO area[/QUOTE]Guess it was good I ordered it online, if they were out of stock in the St. Louis area.

[quote name='shivan128']I picked one up today as well.. it's a TOME of information. Well worth the $22 I spent at GS today.[/QUOTE]

So the guide is only $22 at GAMESTOP? and is this the same Future Press guide available to preorder from book depository?

[quote name='supaman900s']So the guide is only $22 at GAMESTOP? and is this the same Future Press guide available to preorder from book depository?[/QUOTE]

After PUR rewards and buying any game in the same purchase I think.

I paid 20.24 for it at gamestop today with a discount for buying the game + rewards card.
Very high quality, about 385 pages, the illustrations are mostly screenshots, larger pics of bosses and npcs, and maps.
In a perfect world Namco would have included a real guide with their "CE"...one of those games where its kind of necessary to get outside help...at least for me...

Whenever I preorder/pickup a game they always tell me;

Guide+PUR=10% off
Guide+Game=15% off
Guide+Game+PUR=20% off

Can confirm the 10% discount but not the others, since I buy almost all my books off Amazon.

Just the other day when I was checking to see if the DkS book was in, an employee was telling someone picking up RAGE that they could have got 30% off if they had PUR.
So....

I don't think this has been asked, but I was going through the GS reward site and saw this - One Free Strategy Guide (Up to $20 Value)for 11,250 points. I think I want to use this for the guide but I don't know since it retails for 24.99, maybe I need to pay the $5 I guess, I'll call them to verify tomorrow anyways. Though I don't really wanna give GS the extra $5. Heard the guide is amazing.

Gamestop shipped my guides quick. Used value shipping and ordered 2 on the 4th and they were here on the 6th. Pretty good shape overall but not pristine like one I got in store. The box was a little too big and both had a little bit of bending on a corner. Nothing major.

I'm interested to know if anyone elses order from gamestop gets to them so quick. I had tried to cancel the order through email and got no response from CS but I did almost immediately get a shipping notice after I contacted them. So I dont know if they expedited it so I couldnt cancel or if it was just a coincidence and theyre actually shipping them very fast.

[quote name='ras752000']I'm in the exact same boat. From what I could tell you have to submit a message to them with the order #. Not the best website from a customer service standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Ok, it may not be the most streamlined process but I have to give BD props for quickly responding to my message and cancelling the order as requested.
Gamestop here I come.

Picked up the guide from GS last night w/ 10% PUR discount. Apparently it was the only one this mall store received, and it was stored in the back room, not out on display. Cancelled my Amazon order; sorry for setting the reprint cause back for the rest of you still banking on them.

[quote name='Japakneez']interesting. I don't have my guide with me but isn't there a reference in the back that can help you locate all these? Page numbering would be quite the nightmare to deal with especially considering the tight deadlines these companies work with. I would hate to be the person that updates that.[/QUOTE]
I'm not saying for every single detail, just where it makes sense. They often reference that a boss will is at marker X and then give very little strategy to kill them, thus you must flip back a few pages to find the enemy listing. It's bad enough they don't just devote a page to the boss right then and there, but not even giving a page number is stupid. The whole guide reads like an appendix unfortunately, where everything is sectioned. They should really learn how to streamline these better.

just called some gamestops in the area..3 were sold out, and another said he just got some in but they only received 3 more. got him to reserve me a copy.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm not saying for every single detail, just where it makes sense. They often reference that a boss will is at marker X and then give very little strategy to kill them, thus you must flip back a few pages to find the enemy listing. It's bad enough they don't just devote a page to the boss right then and there, but not even giving a page number is stupid. The whole guide reads like an appendix unfortunately, where everything is sectioned. They should really learn how to streamline these better.[/QUOTE]

Ok i see what you're saying and that can certainly become annoying for RPG games during a playthrough. The FP style is definitely one i like since i want to know my games inside and out. I used them more for reference rather than walkthrough. Bolded part of this amazon review makes a lot of sense...

A Beautiful and detailed guide that you will love!

This guide is so comprehensive that out of 384 pages, only 64 (about 20%) are for the walkthrough. It has everything you need to more than get through the game; detailed enemy descriptions, and how to beat them, character building and stats, NPC descriptions, maps, trophy guide, items, magic, etc. And the most important for me, a detailed stat/upgrade guide on the weapons/armor.

In my opinion,
1) Play the game at first without its help, and only use the guide when you get stuck on an enemy or not sure where to go. This way you experience Dark Souls the way its mean't to be experienced. But don't be surprised if you find yourself leafing through its pages, its hard not to.
2) The game is also mean't to be played more than once, so feel free to use this guide fully on NG+ (new game continued with same character) or your next character.

So why get this guide when you can look up the Wiki's or forums online for help? When you have this beautiful guide in your hand, the answer will be obvious. The hardbound cover, the fantastic colored pages, a handy reference for when you need it, and how it demonstrates how deep this game is. It is a book that you will want to have even after you have stopped playing the game, and it might just make you want to play it again.

If you love Demons Souls and Dark Souls, this is a must have!

I bought one at gamestop yesterday but Im thinking of taking it back. I bought it because I thought it was going to be rare but evey gamestop near me has several in stock so maybe Ill wait Im not playing the game anytime soon anyway. If anybody is interested the Baltimore area seems flooded with them.

[quote name='junkie88']I bought one at gamestop yesterday but Im thinking of taking it back. I bought it because I thought it was going to be rare but evey gamestop near me has several in stock so maybe Ill wait Im not playing the game anytime soon anyway. If anybody is interested the Baltimore area seems flooded with them.[/QUOTE]

They will be rare, that's just how these games work. Demon's Souls guides are super rare. I would keep yours

[quote name='Darknuke']They will be rare, that's just how these games work. Demon's Souls guides are super rare. I would keep yours[/QUOTE]

That's not a good measurement. The Demon's Souls ones are rare since they were only packed in with the Deluxe Edition and not sold separately at all. There are far more Dark Souls guides out there than Demon's Souls ones.

[quote name='Nogib']That's not a good measurement. The Demon's Souls ones are rare since they were only packed in with the Deluxe Edition and not sold separately at all. There are far more Dark Souls guides out there than Demon's Souls ones.[/QUOTE]

This.

Contacted Amazon last night regarding the order I placed on Sept. 29. CSR confirmed that the order will be fulfilled and not cancelled. For the delay in shipping, he offered to change the shipping option so that I could get the guide sooner. Just checked my order status and it states "Shipping Soon" with delivery estimate of Oct 13 -14. I'm okay with this since I'm still tied up with Rage before i can really sink time into Dark Souls.

I just picked up the only copy of this guide at a local GS and noticed that there is actually a misprint on the back insert. It talks about not missing any sidequest and getting the full Deus EX: Human Revolution game experience. Anyone else notice this as well?

[quote name='Spyder187']I just picked up the only copy of this guide at a local GS and noticed that there is actually a misprint on the back insert. It talks about not missing any sidequest and getting the full Deus EX: Human Revolution game experience. Anyone else notice this as well?[/QUOTE]

Someone mentioned it in the main CE thread or here yesterday (a few pages back somewhere). I saw it too when I exchanged my bent corner one I got earlier in the week from GS.

I got an e-mail earlier today from Amazon. It said the guide was shipping soon and it would the estimated delivery would be the 11th. I'm glad I didn't cancel and give money to gamestop.. I am not in a rush to play Dark souls yet.. Probably because I just finished Demon souls the other day.

Anyone else actually not finding this guide that useful?

The way it is laid out requires tons of page flipping and it doesn't really offer a whole lot of advice. The maps show item locations which is nice but it doesn't really show how to access the areas and due to the vertical nature of the maps it is hard to really tell where the item is (but at least you know of its existence, I guess).

[quote name='tranceFusion']Anyone else actually not finding this guide that useful?

The way it is laid out requires tons of page flipping and it doesn't really offer a whole lot of advice. The maps show item locations which is nice but it doesn't really show how to access the areas and due to the vertical nature of the maps it is hard to really tell where the item is (but at least you know of its existence, I guess).[/QUOTE]
It was clearly the product of a rushed delivery. I've found that it actually lacks *extremely* important information, such as strength not only modifies AP but also swing speed. I had to go to the wiki to find that out. Every map should just have the legend handy as well, because I'm constantly going well what did that symbol mean again? There's plenty of whitespace, so why not? Also, wtf is the point of putting x1, x1, x1 every-fucking-where to indicate enemies? INSTEAD they should have used the little enemy legend off to the side and put symbols next to them. Doesn't even have to be fancy, just use shapes or something. It's not even clear what paths are above or below when they cross each other in the same area. I'm sorry, but whoever detailed the maps was a moron.

It's a good guide to help you when you're stuck and it does have the most comprehensive list of gear, enemies, etc. As far as premium guides go, I've certainly seen better though.

[quote name='KrizB']Whenever I preorder/pickup a game they always tell me;

Guide+PUR=10% off
Guide+Game=15% off
Guide+Game+PUR=20% off

Can confirm the 10% discount but not the others, since I buy almost all my books off Amazon.

Just the other day when I was checking to see if the DkS book was in, an employee was telling someone picking up RAGE that they could have got 30% off if they had PUR.
So....[/QUOTE]

This is how it works according to my source:

Guide+PUR=10% off
Guide+Game=10% off
Guide+Game+PUR=20% off

[quote name='slowdive21']This is how it works according to my source:

Guide+PUR=10% off
Guide+Game=10% off
Guide+Game+PUR=20% off[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding also. Not sure where the previous poster's 15% version came from.

Note that PUR in this case assumes Pro (paid version) not the regular non-paid version.

[quote name='bob330i']That's my understanding also. Not sure where the previous poster's 15% version came from.

Note that PUR in this case assumes Pro (paid version) not the regular non-paid version.[/QUOTE]

Whoops let me update/clarify:

Guide + PAID CARD = 10% off
Guide + Game + FREE CARD = 10% off
Guide + Game + PAID CARD = 20% off

My friend could not get the guide so I got the last one at the Wilkes Barre, PA store. I also ordered one for myself from gamestop.com. Hopefully the gamestop one ships fast because I haven't even removed the plastic from the guide (although he would not care if I did) and I am giving him the one I got today, tomorrow.

I saw three copies of the CE guide at gamestop today, one of them has the shrink-wrapped off. I wonder if they would sell that guide for a bit less.

[quote name='CAG90210']I saw three copies of the CE guide at gamestop today, one of them has the shrink-wrapped off. I wonder if they would sell that guide for a bit less.[/QUOTE]

Nah. They'll tell you its still new, and if you want they can take it to the back room to reshrink it (to make it "new" again). Same thing they offer with gutted games. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
still debating picking it up seems to be in stock at amazon again.
is it worth $35.22 in credit damn shipping to canada killing it.
Suppose can try to check gamestops around here but says Release Date 13/10/2011 on their website.

As far as Gamestop goes, if I purchase the game and guide (at 10% off) is it possible to just return the game? Or do I have to return both and rebuy the guide at full price? Either way its just $2, but I'd rather not have to bring the guide in if possible.

Amazon sent my CE about six hours after confirming that they over sold their allotment, and about an hour after I got home with my regular edition from GS.

[quote name='evanwink']Who else ordered with Book Depository? Heard anything? My order still says Processing and Awaiting Publication.[/QUOTE]
They are supposed to get their stock Saturday/Monday according to Futurepress' facebook page.

bread's done
Back