Ionotropic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Update:
iconamazon.gif
Dark Souls Hardcover Guide $13.74

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled upon this whilst browsing. Happy preordering!

http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-...9783869930480?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

This is the direct link for the 5% discount. (thanks Jodou & Bumslie)
http://www.bookdepository.com/bts?ut...er-Academic-11
Looks like you need to go through the link & then apply promo code BTS2011 at check out on the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my book for a whil now and find it incredibly useful. I don't like to look ahead to spoil any of the game for myself, but it's nice to be able to check back on areas you've already gone through to see if you missed anything. The complete list of weapons, armor, and spells is also really nice. It's worth the 25 bucks I spent on it and saves me a lot of time searching on the internet when I have quick questions I want to look up. If you're looking for full blown discussion about character builds, you'll still have to access the Internet for this, otherwise the book really satisfies all your needs.

I got the book yesterday. Shipped in a big box and was in perfect condition. It looks like a great strategy guide, I was really impressed. Now I just need to buy Dark Souls!

Will their be any differences between copies that were purchased when the game released and ones that Amazon will be shipping out in the next couple of weeks? I got the e-mail about a possible October 24th delivery as I wanted to get a second copy to keep sealed but I was interested if this was an obvious noted reprint or if it will be the same as all the others

Got mine yesterday at the sale price... book is AWESOME... it's a like a textbook for the game. I can't imagine getting through the game without it!

I ordered like the 17th, before the price change and I might get mine on the 21st? Lucky, they gave me free one-day shipping and a $5 credit :p

[quote name='Pookymeister']My order shipped today, weeeeeee[/QUOTE]

Same here. I love how yesterday the estimate is like nov 4th. And today it's TOMORROW.

[quote name='GBAstar']Will their be any differences between copies that were purchased when the game released and ones that Amazon will be shipping out in the next couple of weeks? I got the e-mail about a possible October 24th delivery as I wanted to get a second copy to keep sealed but I was interested if this was an obvious noted reprint or if it will be the same as all the others[/QUOTE]Only guide that I've owned/seen that has any difference between initial and subsequent printing was the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess guide. There was a second/revised printing of the guide that fixes a few mistakes in the first version as well as some updated/added info.

There may have been others like that, though that's the only one I know of and own.

[quote name='shrike4242']Only guide that I've owned/seen that has any difference between initial and subsequent printing was the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess guide. There was a second/revised printing of the guide that fixes a few mistakes in the first version as well as some updated/added info.

There may have been others like that, though that's the only one I know of and own.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they'll fix the flyer on the back of the guide that references Deus Ex side quests. I haven't opened my GS copy yet until I get my Amazon order in hand. It's sitting at the PO with delivery confirmation. Will pick it up after work.

[quote name='shrike4242']Only guide that I've owned/seen that has any difference between initial and subsequent printing was the Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess guide. There was a second/revised printing of the guide that fixes a few mistakes in the first version as well as some updated/added info.

There may have been others like that, though that's the only one I know of and own.[/QUOTE]

Okay thank you very much. I just wasn't sure if they made a notation somewhere that it was a second print.

[quote name='GBAstar']Okay thank you very much. I just wasn't sure if they made a notation somewhere that it was a second print.[/QUOTE]Mortal Kombat 9 / 2011 had some free errata cards they sent out for some mistakes they made with the guide, though they didn't reprint it, as I double-check through my list of guides.

That's the only other one I know of that had any corrections / fixes to it.

Nice mine is getting delivered eariler then though "Shipping soon" Got 2 so I assume they will come in 1 box. I hope so at least for protection sake.

Got mine today and have been reading it for a couple hours.. this guide is incredible. I generally pick up guides used on Gohastings, and this is by far the best written guide I have ever seen. I also love the fact that I found a campfire I had been missing, and am actually making progress again.

Mine will arrive tomorrow, it just got shipped out a few hours ago. So excited, I can't wait to play the game with the guide.

Finally this is back in stock! Cost me additional $10 in shipping and taxes to get shipped here to Canada but I can't find it anywhere in my city ever since release. Worth it for me, considering this is priced at $29.99 + tax here.

soooo.. all my amazon orders arrived and my book depository one and the gamestop ones i bought just in case those didn't come thorough... i need to return some of these now

i have 7 or 8 copies total i think o_O I figured id keep one and one sealed... maybe one more for the hell of it since they were so cheap but the rest gotta go back, lol.

wound up with some extra copies of demons souls colectors edition too since another gamestop had an extra. I have 3 of them now. I was gonna just go and return one or two to the store too i suppose

[quote name='Kenshindono']soooo.. all my amazon orders arrived and my book depository one and the gamestop ones i bought just in case those didn't come thorough... i need to return some of these now

i have 7 or 8 copies total i think o_O I figured id keep one and one sealed... maybe one more for the hell of it since they were so cheap but the rest gotta go back, lol.

wound up with some extra copies of demons souls colectors edition too since another gamestop had an extra. I have 3 of them now. I was gonna just go and return one or two to the store too i suppose[/QUOTE]

Haha, now that is preparedness at its best. I did get my copy in from Book Depository the other day so I'm just now trying to get through the game. So you have extra copies of the Demons souls collectors edition though?

Hey guys, figured I'd give you fair warning but the guide is completely wrong in a few places and the biggest mistake is not including a full list of rare weapons for the Knight's Honor trophy/achievement. I've written a comprehensive guide for the perfect playthrough of getting trophies in the PS3 thread on page 40, but you can also check PS3trophies for the full list as well.

I was able to get the plat last night, so none of the trophies are bugged if you end up short of something and it doesn't pop.

[quote name='Jodou']Hey guys, figured I'd give you fair warning but the guide is completely wrong in a few places and the biggest mistake is not including a full list of rare weapons for the Knight's Honor trophy/achievement. I've written a comprehensive guide for the perfect playthrough of getting trophies in the PS3 thread on page 40, but you can also check PS3trophies for the full list as well.

I was able to get the plat last night, so none of the trophies are bugged if you end up short of something and it doesn't pop.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the Platinum!

That deserves a big round of :applause:

How many total hours did it take you?

[quote name='Jodou']Hey guys, figured I'd give you fair warning but the guide is completely wrong in a few places and the biggest mistake is not including a full list of rare weapons for the Knight's Honor trophy/achievement. I've written a comprehensive guide for the perfect playthrough of getting trophies in the PS3 thread on page 40, but you can also check PS3trophies for the full list as well.

I was able to get the plat last night, so none of the trophies are bugged if you end up short of something and it doesn't pop.[/QUOTE]

How many rare weapons are missing in the guide?

[quote name='Bumslie']Congrats on the Platinum!

That deserves a big round of :applause:

How many total hours did it take you?[/QUOTE]
~100 but that's with a lot of PvP.
[quote name='WTFer']How many rare weapons are missing in the guide?[/QUOTE]I want to say roughly ten and some are missable.

The guide being incomplete is disappointing, but not entirely un-expected due to the nature of the game. One shortcoming of physical guides is that updates and patches to the game also tend to screw things up (especially for RPG weapon/enemy/item tables).

Still, it sucks that it's not entirely perfect. :cry: Thanks for the warning and for writing up the comprehensive guide! :D

Yeah, patches do undermine it, though I wonder how many are due to patches and how many mistakes. Still, one thing I'm REALLY GLAD they're wrong about is Crystal Lizards. They say they spawn only once per cycle, but I've seen them pop back up if I fail to kill them despite what the guide said. Likely changed in a patch due to being too bullshit sinc ethey don't replensish like in Demon's Souls from killing bosses.

[quote name='Eusis']Yeah, patches do undermine it, though I wonder how many are due to patches and how many mistakes. Still, one thing I'm REALLY GLAD they're wrong about is Crystal Lizards. They say they spawn only once per cycle, but I've seen them pop back up if I fail to kill them despite what the guide said. Likely changed in a patch due to being too bullshit sinc ethey don't replensish like in Demon's Souls from killing bosses.[/QUOTE]
Yep, this is completely untrue in the guide. They don't actually respawn, it's just that the mechanic is not the same. It might be a glitch but if you ever miss a lizard, just stand where they normally spawn and quit via menu so it saves. Reload and the lizard will be standing at your feet, ready for killing.

Well, that sucks, so I'll definitely check out your post.

With that said, this guide is still super sexy.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']Haha, now that is preparedness at its best. I did get my copy in from Book Depository the other day so I'm just now trying to get through the game. So you have extra copies of the Demons souls collectors edition though?[/QUOTE]

Ya, they had an extra when i was in gamestop the other day so i picked it up on top of the 2 i already had. Im returning one at least, maybe 2. Not sure if its worth keeping one sealed. I need to lay all the books out and see if any are damaged. Ill keep the best 2 for sure, maybe 3. The rest gotta go back.

Although im wondering if may be worth keeping an extra one or two. Wonder if it will be worth a couple bucks down the road. I dont usually resell things but i wound up with so damn many for cheap

@ the guide being incomplete.. thats just LAME. I thought futurepress was supposed to be the top guide maker out there. Are they turning to shit like so mayny other companies did?

[quote name='Kenshindono']@ the guide being incomplete.. thats just LAME. I thought futurepress was supposed to be the top guide maker out there. Are they turning to shit like so mayny other companies did?[/QUOTE]
Everyone talks them up, but I've been turned off with how their guide flows and misinformation. I don't know if it was a product of rushed delivery or if they were given bad intel, but for sure it's not the 'perfect' guide I was expecting.

Hi all, I just got my Dark Soul guide. I noticed a lumpy pop up near the middle of the cover... I still have the guide sealed since I'm not sure it's "damaged" or not. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

[quote name='Serpentor']Hi all, I just got my Dark Soul guide. I noticed a lumpy pop up near the middle of the cover... I still have the guide sealed since I'm not sure it's "damaged" or not. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?[/QUOTE]

I haven't opened mine yet but I don't recall the cover having any sort of relief features. Also, if there were any, I'd imagine it would only be on the right side, where the graphics are. The rest of the cover is mainly black with a small "Dark Souls" text feature.

[quote name='bob330i']I haven't opened mine yet but I don't recall the cover having any sort of relief features. Also, if there were any, I'd imagine it would only be on the right side, where the graphics are. The rest of the cover is mainly black with a small "Dark Souls" text feature.[/QUOTE]

I think I got a damaged cover then... I'll check the guide in stores and see they're like that. The copy I received from Amazon has a circular lump around the should pad armor. It's not a dent, the lump popped up (can't be pressed down like a relief button). I can only imagine there's something behind the cover to create such lump...

[quote name='Serpentor']Hi all, I just got my Dark Soul guide. I noticed a lumpy pop up near the middle of the cover... I still have the guide sealed since I'm not sure it's "damaged" or not. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?[/QUOTE]

A few I saw had that exact thing.. its about the diameter of a pencil eraser, correct?

Very slightl lump but it is present.. its in random places on the front under the paper.. I am guessing maybe the glue was not spraying correct or something.

[quote name='Snake2715']A few I saw had that exact thing.. its about the diameter of a pencil eraser, correct?

Very slightl lump but it is present.. its in random places on the front under the paper.. I am guessing maybe the glue was not spraying correct or something.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Yes, it's like that, but in my case the bump is like the size of a penny :whistle2:( I guess I'll have to live with it... Man, those hardcover guides are a pain, if the corners are good, then something else goes wrong.

bread's done
Back