Dark Souls Guide for $11.99 at GameStop

[quote name='cobra-05']Anyone know if it's that price in store?[/QUOTE]

This is part of their weekly ad, so it should be available in store.

I guess this guide is going to nosedive in price since the update. Some of the stats on equipment and upgrade scaling are different now.

[quote name='mr_bungle']The cag that traded his for my resistance 3 is going to be doing quite well :/[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel any better, Resistance 3 has been on sale for $19.99 recently (Amazon) and was pretty much free with all the Move/Sharpshooter bundles (Doomsday/Mayhem) from BestBuy.

Too bad the guide is nerfed now by the new patches. Still a good overall tool for area maps and general walkthrough/boss battle tips.

[quote name='mr_bungle']The cag that traded his for my resistance 3 is going to be doing quite well :/[/QUOTE]

Only in the short run! :)

[quote name='tenzor']If it makes you feel any better, Resistance 3 has been on sale for $19.99 recently (Amazon) and was pretty much free with all the Move/Sharpshooter bundles (Doomsday/Mayhem) from BestBuy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, true. And he seemed to really want the game, I actually got mine with the Doomsday bundle, and sold the SS for like 25 bucks, so it's not that bad when you break it down. I still got a move/eye//nav/DrkS guide for $75 lol

[quote name='destro4eva']Think they'd ever re-edit the guide to go along with the patches?[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of any publisher ever doing this. I imagine all of the people with the original copies of the guide would go bat-shit crazy and demand a new one as a replacement (and I honestly wouldn't blame them; who wants an "outdated" guide?).

Editing a digital version of the guide would be more likely. With a physical guide, the production costs would probably wipe out any potential profit margin.

[quote name='acetate3']Thanks for the heads up! I grabbed one at the Adams Morgan store in DC.[/QUOTE]

There's a gamestop in Adam's Morgan?

I don't see how knowing the stats on the items on the guide matters. You are pretty much going to collect most pieces of gear/items anyway, regardless of stats, with the way you have to play your first Dark Souls run (aka checking every nook and cranny for enemies).

Plus, the general guide for boss strategies and the maps remain largely relevant.

It would matter more if they had changed the location or changed the way you obtained said items.

I personally love reading outdated guides of my favorite games, especially MMOs.

Something about the feeling of nostalgia mixed with "oh, remember when this item was hard/easy to obtain?" It's also pretty fun comparing what the writers thought were good strategies and/or good gear recommendations.

[quote name='Gamehead']There's a gamestop in Adam's Morgan?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it opened maybe two months ago. It's on Columbia just south of Safeway.

ha...Sorry about that if you want to send it back I'm cool with that! I had no idea it would drop this much.

what did the patch change to make the guide outdated? If some stats were modified, that's not that bad since most guides are usually off when it comes to stats.

also gonna email cs for refund even though after the 20% off with pur and game purchase guide was $11.99...

[quote name='notfromtexas']i just bought the game...so do i want the new guide or the old guide?[/QUOTE]

Unless you really have to have a paper guide or a collectible you might as well save the money and just check out the wikidot guides.
They're quite extensive, readable and can easily get you through the game.

The guide has those codes that you scan with your phone I think and it takes you to an the updated guide online. There's actually a section in the very beginning of the guide telling how with how these types of games are, that things can and probably will change.

Anyways, the guide is gorgeous and I'm glad I got it. I'm also a giant Demon's/Dark Souls fan.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']what did the patch change to make the guide outdated? If some stats were modified, that's not that bad since most guides are usually off when it comes to stats.

also gonna email cs for refund even though after the 20% off with pur and game purchase guide was $11.99...[/QUOTE]

I got a "reply" back from cs... this fucker just pasted their return policy.

Only thing he likely typed out was

"Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Here is a copy of our online return policy, which should answer any questions you may have: "

Rest of email
Returns to GameStop.com

Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition. We reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products. Defective product(s) will be replaced with a like item, upon return. Terms and conditions of manufacturer's warranty apply to defective video games systems and computer hardware after 30 days.

We do not accept returns of:
Any product(s) returned more than 30 days from the date on the packing slip.
Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).
Any product(s) not in its original condition.
Any product(s) that is damaged, played, or is missing parts.
Any product(s) that were sold as part of a bundle, unless the bundle is returned complete.
Please do not send us product(s) that do not meet the return criteria listed above, as we do not issue refunds for non-qualifying items and cannot return the items to you.

To return a product:

Online:
To return or exchange an item to GameStop.com, include the packing list, identify the reason for the return and send it to the address on the return shipping label.

If you are returning for a refund, please write RETURN FOR REFUND on the label. If you are returning for a replacement, please write RETURN FOR REPLACEMENT on the label. The returns must fall within the policy stated above.

If the return label is no longer available, the order would need to be shipped to the following location:

GameStop
Internet Returns
625 Westport Pkwy.
Grapevine, Texas 76051

Store:
Items may be returned by taking them to a GameStop store location in the United States. Items returned to a GameStop store location must be accompanied by the original packing list. Store return policies may vary and are subject to manager approval.

Please note that store returns are only available for GameStop.com orders.

Handling costs are non-refundable. If the reason for your return is due to our error, please reply to this e-mail with the issue and we will be happy to assist you further.

Promotional Discounts and Returns: Should you return an order that was placed using a promotional code, discount or offer, you will not be refunded for the amount of the code, discount or offer, as these discounts were deducted from the original purchase amount.

Nope didn't answer a thing. I know all of this and even have to inform employees of their return policy. One time this bitch wouldn't accept an online used game return on the 30th day (saying it's 7 days even though the label said 30 days for online and said I have to mail it back; also said even if they take online returns it's too late since it was the last day) so I had to take a 5 minute walk to another GS where I had to walk the guy through the process... didn't even play that game

I must say GS has one of the worse online CS. Other retailers have terrible employees and poor cs over the phones but have good people answering emails and on forums. I recall having to contact GS CS for a refund on shipping when I used shipping codes and also when I had a big order where there was "free shipping". These people are also rude in the emails but this guy didn't even do anything.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I've never heard of any publisher ever doing this. I imagine all of the people with the original copies of the guide would go bat-shit crazy and demand a new one as a replacement (and I honestly wouldn't blame them; who wants an "outdated" guide?).

Editing a digital version of the guide would be more likely. With a physical guide, the production costs would probably wipe out any potential profit margin.[/QUOTE]

OT: Anyone know if MK9 SG had a (fixed) release? Those (e)/cheat cards weren't enough of a sorry IMHO.

Does this dark souls guide come factory sealed in plastic wrap from other retailers?
Does Gamestop "gut" the ce guide, ie. remove it from plastic wrap and sell it naked?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The guide has those codes that you scan with your phone I think and it takes you to an the updated guide online. There's actually a section in the very beginning of the guide telling how with how these types of games are, that things can and probably will change.

Anyways, the guide is gorgeous and I'm glad I got it. I'm also a giant Demon's/Dark Souls fan.[/QUOTE]
Does this dark souls guide come factory sealed in plastic wrap from other retailers?
Does Gamestop "gut" the ce guide, ie. remove it from plastic wrap and sell it naked?

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I got a "reply" back from cs... this fucker just pasted their return policy.

Only thing he likely typed out was

"Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Here is a copy of our online return policy, which should answer any questions you may have: "

Rest of email
Returns to GameStop.com

Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition. We reserve the right to limit returns to unopened or defective products. Defective product(s) will be replaced with a like item, upon return. Terms and conditions of manufacturer's warranty apply to defective video games systems and computer hardware after 30 days.

We do not accept returns of:
Any product(s) returned more than 30 days from the date on the packing slip.
Any product(s) that has been opened (taken out of its plastic wrap).
Any product(s) not in its original condition.
Any product(s) that is damaged, played, or is missing parts.
Any product(s) that were sold as part of a bundle, unless the bundle is returned complete.
Please do not send us product(s) that do not meet the return criteria listed above, as we do not issue refunds for non-qualifying items and cannot return the items to you.

To return a product:

Online:
To return or exchange an item to GameStop.com, include the packing list, identify the reason for the return and send it to the address on the return shipping label.

If you are returning for a refund, please write RETURN FOR REFUND on the label. If you are returning for a replacement, please write RETURN FOR REPLACEMENT on the label. The returns must fall within the policy stated above.

If the return label is no longer available, the order would need to be shipped to the following location:

GameStop
Internet Returns
625 Westport Pkwy.
Grapevine, Texas 76051

Store:
Items may be returned by taking them to a GameStop store location in the United States. Items returned to a GameStop store location must be accompanied by the original packing list. Store return policies may vary and are subject to manager approval.

Please note that store returns are only available for GameStop.com orders.

Handling costs are non-refundable. If the reason for your return is due to our error, please reply to this e-mail with the issue and we will be happy to assist you further.

Promotional Discounts and Returns: Should you return an order that was placed using a promotional code, discount or offer, you will not be refunded for the amount of the code, discount or offer, as these discounts were deducted from the original purchase amount.

Nope didn't answer a thing. I know all of this and even have to inform employees of their return policy. One time this bitch wouldn't accept an online used game return on the 30th day (saying it's 7 days even though the label said 30 days for online and said I have to mail it back; also said even if they take online returns it's too late since it was the last day) so I had to take a 5 minute walk to another GS where I had to walk the guy through the process... didn't even play that game

I must say GS has one of the worse online CS. Other retailers have terrible employees and poor cs over the phones but have good people answering emails and on forums. I recall having to contact GS CS for a refund on shipping when I used shipping codes and also when I had a big order where there was "free shipping". These people are also rude in the emails but this guy didn't even do anything.[/QUOTE]

And so it begins! Can't believe it took two pages for the gamestop hate to finally start. That must be a record! But you can always count on someone!

*insert obligatory "failstop" comment here*

But if you know the return policy, why are you asking for a refund? Unless you bought this a day ago, I can't see how a refund is justified.

And also, I disagree with people saying patches have made this guide out of date. Only stats/drops/farming has really changed. All item locations, maps, enemy and boss strategies are perfectly intact. That being said...you're still paying $11 for something you can get online for free...

[quote name='captaintek3304']And so it begins! Can't believe it took two pages for the gamestop hate to finally start. That must be a record! But you can always count on someone!

*insert obligatory "failstop" comment here*

But if you know the return policy, why are you asking for a refund? Unless you bought this a day ago, I can't see how a refund is justified.

And also, I disagree with people saying patches have made this guide out of date. Only stats/drops/farming has really changed. All item locations, maps, enemy and boss strategies are perfectly intact. That being said...you're still paying $11 for something you can get online for free...[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you understand why I'm asking for a refund. If there is a price drop for an item and still within return period, what is easier: ask for a refund on difference OR return and rebuy (remember this is an online order). Now a customer would probably prefer to get a refund to save time from going in to return and rebuy. One would also think that the corporate CS would also go this route.

So if you had the time to weed at GS hate you should have come across my first post in the thread (post #18; thread only has one page...):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9165851#post9165851

Anyway I'm going to have to go to a store Tuesday since the game I bought was Rayman Origins at $29.99 (and Tuesday is $20 off so hopefully no problems)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PublikDefender']Does this dark souls guide come factory sealed in plastic wrap from other retailers?
Does Gamestop "gut" the ce guide, ie. remove it from plastic wrap and sell it naked?[/QUOTE]

All of the ones I have (two) and the ones I've seen at GS have all had the wrap on them. I don't recall any CE/hardcopy ever not having wrap on them although there are some softbound versions that do. Primas, I think, tend to not have wrap.

Of course, while on the shelf, the wrap could come undone and at some point, somone may just take it off.

Depends on the whether it has a back cover sheet or not. I think the Dark Souls one had the sheet with the barcode on it and was wrapped. This guide has come in handy as hell, just to have it on the couch (no laptop and I tried using my phone to look up stuff and it's just not working) saves me the trip to my computer every time I get stuck.

bread's done
Back