Dark Souls Hardcover Strategy Guide $14.99 at Amazon

Lucian

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
[quote name='jacknicklson']Literally no reason to buy this unless you want to look at the pictures as the data is mostly obsolete and their maps are terrible[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up, I was assuming this would be a great buy as the game is supposedly so difficult.

Thanks to the TC as well.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Literally no reason to buy this unless you want to look at the pictures as the data is mostly obsolete and their maps are terrible[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I bought one at Gamestop yesterday, but haven't even flipped through it yet as I'm working on a few other titles before really diving into Dark Souls. I just figured the guide would be nice so I don't have to Google everything...

It's worth it for the walkthrough though, IMO. For those who aren't terribly concerned about the stats and whatnot.

[quote name='mindcycle']It's worth it for the walkthrough though, IMO. For those who aren't terribly concerned about the stats and whatnot.[/QUOTE]
The walkthrough is trash for anyone wanting to platinum the game, however. It fails to point out timed events that can be missed if you don't already read ahead of time. The layout is lacking considering everything is split by section, so you'll be bookmarking 20 different pages and flipping back and forth in each area. If you want to dig up the Dark Souls PS3 thread, I wrote a guide for it that is a true walkthrough with minimal spoilers.

[quote name='Velo214']i got two of these for 13 each at amazon on release date to sell later, doh[/QUOTE]

Same here, lol. Ah, well at least I can try to convince myself that I like having 2 of everything... 1 to open, and 1 to keep sealed.

The guide has detailed maps with all the locations of the loot mapped out.
In depth enemy info/hp/strategies, walkthroughs & every item stat in the game. Very useful as the game has TONS of loot, location changed & different enemy types.

There is also no timed events in Dark Souls.

[quote name='WTFer']The guide has detailed maps with all the locations of the loot mapped out.
In depth enemy info/hp/strategies, walkthroughs & every item stat in the game. Very useful as the game has TONS of loot, location changed & different enemy types.

There is also no timed events in Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

There most certainly is. The catarina quest line comes to mind (misspelling?). If you fail to do certain steps before certain parts it becomes impossible to finish.

The guide does heavily discuss these side quests, but they're in a separate section. I love the guide and I'm glad I bought it, but then again, I'm a major Demon's/Dark Souls fan.

[quote name='Mad dog']The stats and equipment in these are obsolete FYI due to patches and tweaks that have come out for this game.[/QUOTE]
You can always not update or delete the patch. :D

[quote name='htz']You can always not update or delete the patch. :D[/QUOTE]

lol, I don't plan to play online so we'll see how far I can go w/o the PS3 nagging me to update it.

I really like this guide. To say that all of the stats are all wrong after the 1.05 update is exaggerating a bit. Enchantments were scaled a bit but you can still get the basic idea of what is stronger than what by using the guide. I kinda liked having a some uncertainty. I just played through DS and used this guide.... I had to go to the wiki a lot, but I still liked flipping through the guide.... it was on my lap the whole time. If you're a fan of the series, I'd pick it up. Do a little research on the 1.05 patch so you can understand the changes... that may help you make the decision. Here's a link --> I'm a Link!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Velo214']i got two of these for 13 each at amazon on release date to sell later, doh[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Same here.

[quote name='Pig']A perfect match for the gamefly sale. Get em while they are hot!:hot:[/QUOTE]

Did I miss something? What sale?

[quote name='Buzzman']Did I miss something? What sale?[/QUOTE]
Dark Souls was $14.99 with free shipping last night from Gamefly. It was a one day sale.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dark Souls was $14.99 with free shipping last night from Gamefly. It was a one day sale.[/QUOTE]

O man. What a deal.

[quote name='Jodou']The walkthrough is trash for anyone wanting to platinum the game, however. It fails to point out timed events that can be missed if you don't already read ahead of time. The layout is lacking considering everything is split by section, so you'll be bookmarking 20 different pages and flipping back and forth in each area. If you want to dig up the Dark Souls PS3 thread, I wrote a guide for it that is a true walkthrough with minimal spoilers.[/QUOTE]

Pretty true what Jodou says...I bought the guide...I am a extreme collector..the guide is pretty to look at but the sections are so off...I had to bookmark constantly in fear of ruining the pages...ALSO..i was hunting that guide in the Dark Souls forum. I will save everyone the bitch of a search. I recall Jodou mentioned his guide MULTIPLE times..I started from page 101 and backtracked all the way to about page 60 or so...then Jodou mentions "Hey!! My Guide is on page 40 btw" lol.
Here is the Thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285556&page=40

POST Number-798
Way to go on the treasure hunt Jodou. Also this is not a way to dissuade anyone from buying the guide. I think it is a pretty guide and a damn good steal for this price. If anything get it and sell later if it ever gets rare.

[quote name='killa5k7']Way to go on the treasure hunt Jodou. Also this is not a way to dissuade anyone from buying the guide. I think it is a pretty guide and a damn good steal for this price. If anything get it and sell later if it ever gets rare.[/QUOTE]
Lol, you realize that Io updated the OP of that thread with my guide, right? My bad haha.

Keep in mind some of the info there may be wrong now considering when I wrote it there had only been the day one patch and you could still exploit things like the dragon head item dupe.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, you realize that Io updated the OP of that thread with my guide, right? My bad haha.

Keep in mind some of the info there may be wrong now considering when I wrote it there had only been the day one patch and you could still exploit things like the dragon head item dupe.[/QUOTE]

so what game version you wrote ur guide for? 1.00?

Aside from the obvious hardcover & quality of the book itself, getting it for game data is laughable at this point as patches have fixed numbers & stats on almost every item.

[quote name='WTFer']The guide has detailed maps with all the locations of the loot mapped out.

There is also no timed events in Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this information - seriously. I might just lock this in - given that I just bought the game at the GameFly sale the other night.

Or do people think online trophy/achievement roadmaps are just as good - and are free... thoughts?

EDIT: I am not too concerned with stat-bonering, but will the guide still be good for walkthroughs? Like how the fuck you beat the bosses? Or have they been tweaked a bit via patch?

[quote name='blinknot4']Thank you for this information - seriously. I might just lock this in - given that I just bought the game at the GameFly sale the other night.

Or do people think online trophy/achievement roadmaps are just as good - and are free... thoughts?

EDIT: I am not too concerned with stat-bonering, but will the guide still be good for walkthroughs? Like how the fuck you beat the bosses? Or have they been tweaked a bit via patch?[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, I found he boss fight info to be really bad. That's the one thing I had to go to the wikis for. They're not tweaked with the patch, just bad info. Like I inferred before, it's a nice guide... If you're the kind of person who loved demon souls and really gets into these games, then I would get it.

I don't like to straight up cheat in games by looking up glitches and knowing cheap methods for beating games. THe fact that this guide was just a bit off was why I loved it. Honestly, guides used for actual info are obsolete with the advent of the Internet. Wikis will always be more acurate and informative. Straight up info should never be why you buy one.

I got the guide early on and Jodou is correct. His version is better for a chronological walkthrough. The maps are horrible (and I'm being nice) and they changed quite a bit of the equipment information.

So if you have the game and never patch it, the guide works okay with the exclusion of the maps, but it is not really a walkthough.

[quote name='agentghost']so what game version you wrote ur guide for? 1.00?[/QUOTE]
I know there was a day one patch, so I don't know version number. It was before any balancing they did or bug fixes. It should hold up just fine, but I wanted to make it clear that it was pre-patch just in case. Simple things like the cost of items/spells may have changed is all.

Picked up a couple from Gamestop last week for 10 bucks a pop. Just got the game today It rocks and I think the guide is still quite useful and if anything if you are a collector just great to have that hardcover so for ten bucks for me it is a great deal.

[quote name='MAC METAL FACE']Picked up a couple from Gamestop last week for 10 bucks a pop. Just got the game today It rocks and I think the guide is still quite useful and if anything if you are a collector just great to have that hardcover so for ten bucks for me it is a great deal.[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention that. That's how much I paid for mine as well.

I've found using the Dark Souls Wikis and youtube videos to find the locations of items takes me less time than trying to use this guide. But, it's nice to have around for when I want to give my laptop a break.

I still love this guide a lot. It's a high-quality product even if it might be a little outdated.

[quote name='slowdive21']Head's up: This dropped to 9.99 @ GS.[/QUOTE]
Oh really, well guess I need to run by there before my amazon order ships out.

Edit- just called the closest store to me, they have a copy they'll hold for me. Thanks for the heads-up!

bread's done
Back