Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

Most recent patch (late last week) is 660ish MB as that added all of the DLC 1 content so if your connection is slow you probably don't want to put off till the last minute booting up the game today if it has been awhile since you last played.

DLC is up

Now that I look at that Japanese link more carefully, it looks like the re-skinned Murakumo will be in there through the 31st, so I wonder if they are doing one new weapon every week and a half or so through the release of the other 2 DLCs.

I am on the 360 and have the latest patch and DLC and there is nothing there for me in the chest.

It is still opened from when I originally opened it. Am I missing something?

I am on the 360 and have the latest patch and DLC and there is nothing there for me in the chest.

It is still opened from when I originally opened it. Am I missing something?
I read that reloading the area works via bonfire (going to a new area and coming back). Apparently, From has been putting various items in that chest for a month and a half. :shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that reloading the area works via bonfire (going to a new area and coming back). Apparently, From has been putting various items in that chest for a month and a half. :shock:
Yeah I haven't loaded this game up since like the end of April or so. I have tried restarting but not reloading the area via bonfire like that. I will try it later, thanks for the tip!

I started a new Deprived too so I can run through and at least get to the basement so that I can have the weapons for a future character if I want too haha

*edit*

Reloading the area by bonfiring to another area and back worked!

I just finally now got to play some of the DLC. I like it so far from what little i've played. I got to the second bonfire and put my summon sign down. The next part was crazy. Was helping the guy for a good hour. I would've kept going but I got "Duty fulfilled" and got sent back to my world. 

Nothing in there unfortunately. It stayed open. I warped a couple of time to make sure. I got the murakumo several days ago.

Beat the game yesterday. Thanks for all the help guys.

Really enjoyed it as my first Souls game. Can't wait to get into the predecessors, which I already know are superior for a multitude of reasons. Still, extremely solid game.

And fuck yeah killing the Pursuer the second time. Might go for the twin Pursuers fight then.

Beat the game yesterday. Thanks for all the help guys.

Really enjoyed it as my first Souls game. Can't wait to get into the predecessors, which I already know are superior for a multitude of reasons. Still, extremely solid game.

And fuck yeah killing the Pursuer the second time. Might go for the twin Pursuers fight then.
I would say DS2 is superior. Far superior.

I would say the combat in DS2 is the most polished, though a lot of the environments, NPCs, and bosses are more memorable in earlier installments. Most of the levels feel more linear and smaller in Dark Souls 2 for some reason.

I would say the combat in DS2 is the most polished, though a lot of the environments, NPCs, and bosses are more memorable in earlier installments. Most of the levels feel more linear and smaller in Dark Souls 2 for some reason.
I like the fact that they removed needless backtracking. I don't see the point in needing to warp to an area and run through 2 areas to get to the one you actually wanted to go to. I think bosses are slightly more memorable in DS1, but I like the ones in 2 as well. I think the new DLC outclasses the Artorias DLC too.

I can't seem to get the murakumo to appear in the chest today. I tried it with my first character and I tried it with a new character and neither work. I've been warping with the bonfire multiple times and it's still empty. Only thing I got from it was the Soul Vessel.

Did they happen to remove it today? Not sure what could be happening.

While aspects of the game are superior, they wussified the game for the masses. It was far more rewarding to beat Demons Souls than Dark Souls and the same can be said for DS 1 over DS 2. I am not saying the game was bad, just that they watered it down with a save point every 5 minutes of play.

The polish is better but I had no fear of failure due to any real lack of punishment. Go back to Demons Souls where there was a severe punishment for failure if you were near the end of a level. Now, if they could combine that aspect with the polish of Dark Souls 2 they would have hit the jackpot. Also, Demons Souls did not have any cheap levels like Blighttown or Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls or The Pit and Shaded Woods in DS2 and I am not talking about the bosses but the levels themselves. Worst level designs in the series. Tomb of the Giants has to be the worst though. Someone literally had to be asking them self how to piss off every person playing the game while designing this level.

That's peculiar, your game was fully patched and you are playing online right?

Valley of Defilement level 2 is pretty cheap, it's dark, constantly poisons you, all the rest of the enemies can move at full speed while you move slow through the muck, and it's full of extremely powerful enemies which you can't stun.

That's peculiar, your game was fully patched and you are playing online right?
Yeah, I have it patched and was playing online. Not sure if it could be because I waited until the last day to go get it or what.

On the other hand, I did that Shrine of Winter skip before the new patch made you unable to use your save file with an unpatched game. I was going to revert my save file to the one I had uploaded to PS+ cloud, but then it uploaded the save before I could do that.

Yet, would there be any way for them to be able to tell and lock me out of that? It seems rather impossible, especially with me trying it on a new character.

While aspects of the game are superior, they wussified the game for the masses. It was far more rewarding to beat Demons Souls than Dark Souls and the same can be said for DS 1 over DS 2. I am not saying the game was bad, just that they watered it down with a save point every 5 minutes of play.

The polish is better but I had no fear of failure due to any real lack of punishment. Go back to Demons Souls where there was a severe punishment for failure if you were near the end of a level. Now, if they could combine that aspect with the polish of Dark Souls 2 they would have hit the jackpot. Also, Demons Souls did not have any cheap levels like Blighttown or Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls or The Pit and Shaded Woods in DS2 and I am not talking about the bosses but the levels themselves. Worst level designs in the series. Tomb of the Giants has to be the worst though. Someone literally had to be asking them self how to piss off every person playing the game while designing this level.
I like the fact that there are more bonfires. I don't like needless backtracking. I don't think The Pit or Shaded Woods are anywhere near as bad as Blighttown or Tomb of the Giants. When they added more warpable bonfires in DS1, people were happy.

I also hate Demon's Souls. I did play it after DS1/2 though.

I like the fact that there are more bonfires. I don't like needless backtracking. I don't think The Pit or Shaded Woods are anywhere near as bad as Blighttown or Tomb of the Giants. When they added more warpable bonfires in DS1, people were happy.

I also hate Demon's Souls. I did play it after DS1/2 though.
Alas my wussified comment. A lot of people think as I do on that. There was real risk in Demon's Souls, it was somewhat reduced in DS1 and further in DS2. You had time invested to make it as far as you did and were far more careful than DS1 or DS2. DS2 fully wussified the series as you were never really more than 5 or so minutes away from a bonfire. Thus wussified for the masses since risk was severely reduced. They tried to offset that by limiting grinding but that is meh....only allows you to run back to where you were quicker.

I'm like 8 hours into Demon's and I don't find it any more difficult, just more tedious.  It's actually easier with infinite healing items that heal you quickly and infinite mana. 

In DS2, you get Estus/Lifegems, but they take a while to replenish health in comparison.

I'm like 8 hours into Demon's and I don't find it any more difficult, just more tedious. It's actually easier with infinite healing items that heal you quickly and infinite mana.

In DS2, you get Estus/Lifegems, but they take a while to replenish health in comparison.
Demon's Souls is certainly easier to cheese as you can have unlimited casts of spells by similarly munching on spices.

Something to watch out for in Demon's Souls that doesn't exist in the other two is item burden, you can only carry so much on your person (increases with points in vitality). If you try to pick up an item that is sitting out and you don't have enough "space" then it "unpacks" and falls back down to the ground. Unpacked items disappear from the level if you leave the area. Give all your ore to Thomas as you don't need to have it on your body to do crafting, the smiths can magically pull it direct from storage. Also if you haven't already, do the jade hairpin quest to get a ring which doubles max item burden when worn to put on if you ever don't have enough room.

With Demon's it makes you be deliberate as death potentially has a huge time penalty.  There is no such thing in DS2.  I understand what you are saying about the health, but I never really cared if I died in DS2.  I had more vested interest in Demon's Souls as I did not want to have to backtrack.

Granted, I was pissed if I died in either one but Demon's Souls bothered me far more.  I still remember getting invaded in one area and being killed RIGHT before I was about to walk in to fight the boss.  At least there is not a progressive penalty for being hallow.

I always laugh at the dks2 criticism as if people are too stupid to realize the game they're comparing it too (dks) borrows the same shit from demons. 

Jumping in to the debate between the 3 games in the series, I personally really enjoyed Demons Souls in that you HAD to backtrack. I of course see the negative in that, but to me it felt more real, as though your character was really so alone and had to keep pushing through areas.

There are notable improvements however as the series has progressed and I honestly cannot say any one of the three is better. Each have their perks. I like Demons Souls for it was the original and felt the most hopeless and a bunch of the other mechanics. Dark Souls I feel has the most memorable moments of the three games with a nice mix of new mechanics and older ones too. Dark Souls 2 has the most fluid and visually appeling combat but while I would not say 'wussified' because it is still a difficult game I do see that it is more tailored to a more mainstream audience in that there is much more to do and see at any moment with the warping bonfires and such.

But yeah I love em all and cannot wait to see what all the DLC has in store as well as Bloodborne!!

Demon's Souls > DkS > DkSII for lore and Demon's Souls > DkSII > DkS for PvP.  Imo  :p

So I am going dual Caestus build, started as a Deprived and want to just have the exact stats I need to run around and punch stuff. I was curious everyones input on it then.

It appears that I will focus on STR DEX and ADP. I threw in a little to my health and stamina but not much.

I want to run around with just my pants and gauntlets and then my dual caestus.

Any tips for either gameplay/ how to tackle tough enemies with just my fists basically or any suggestions on which armor to use? I have the Drangleic leggings and gauntlets on. I want to stay under 30% because apparently under that you have the furthest roll and stuff?

It has been a while already since I played the crap out of this game an I want a more fun challenge to make me go back so yeah input is welcome thanks guys! 

If you feel like doing a bit more of a grind you could eventually shoot to replace the caestus with fists, it's not too bad to farm Rhoy the explorer 4 times via bonfire ascetic in the company of champions to get the vanquisher's seal. For starters you could look up black phantom invader locations and then temporarily switch to company of champions just before you encounter them (such as right next to the locked bonfire in Huntman's corpse. Ring of blades you will want as it adds a fixed amount of damage to each strike and you will be striking very quickly. Stone ring might also be a good one if you can take the weight to increase the chance of staggering them. You will want high adaptability to take advantage of the back-step and roll invincibility frames,

You might also consider infusing a second set of caestus with poison so that on enemies with lots of HP you can hit them enough to build up poison, then switch hands back to damage dealing caestus.

I know I was active here a bunch since the 360 thread was non existent pretty much haha

BUT, I finally got PS4 and figured a few of you might also have a PS4 so go ahead and add me! I rarely used my PS3 so my friends list is like 5 people long haha

VashTheStampede_

Prepare to Cry Miracle Bros:

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

Update Schedule:
- PlayStation3
8/25 7:00 to 10:00AM GMT

Ver. 1.07
Calibrations 1.10

The following fixes, changes, and refinements are included in the update:
• Undead Crypt: Fixed the bell not ringing if you continuously attack the bell that appears after Ledia’s shaman appears.

Adjustments that will be made with Calibrations 1.10 (all following changes):
• Balanced fatal blows done on other players in online multiplayer

• Spell parry time and area of effect has been raised:
o Cleric's Parma
o Cleric's Small Shield
o Cursed Bone Shield
o Spirit Tree Shield
o Golden Wing Shield
o Shield of the Insolent
o Grand Spirit Tree Shield

• Spell parry time has been raised:
o King's Mirror

• Lowered damage caused by the following weapons:
o Defender's Shield
o Havel's Greatshield
o Gyrm Greatshield
o Dragonrider Greatshield

• Lowered defense of:
o Gyrm Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Helm
o Gyrm Warrior Greathelm
o Smelter Demon Helm
o Velstadt's Helm
o Black Witch Robe

• Raised effect of:
o Stone Ring

• Changed so the effect does not apply to spells:
o Red Tearstone Ring

• Raised defense against enemies in offline play only (multiplayer not affected)
o Ring of Steel Protection

• Lowered effect of:
o Clear Bluestone Ring +2

• Raised casting time and lowered strength of:
o Soul Spear

• Raised casting time, lowered strength, raised required magic slots, and raised usage count for:
o Crystal Soul Spear

• Lowered effectiveness of:
o Strong Magic Shield

• Lowered damage of:
o Soul Geyser
o Soul Shower
o Lightning Spear
o Great Lightning Spear
o Sunlight Spear
o Emit Force
o Blinding Bolt
o Heavenly Thunder

o Fire Whip
o Affinity
o Scraps of Life
o Resonant Soul
o Great Resonant Soul

• Spells “Sacred Oath” and “Bountiful Sunlight”
o Casting this on one’s self will now diffuse all support effects
o Having it cast by someone else will not diffuse other support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)

• Spells “Numbness” and “Resonant Flesh”
o Casting this on one’s self will now diffuse all support effects
o Casting spells on yourself to create other support effects after having these used will diffuse the effect of the above spells
(players cannot use the effects of these spells in conjunction with other effects from spells they cast on themselves)

NEW WEAPON INCOMING TO THE MAJULA MANSION CHEST

August 26 to Sept 5th to promote the drop of the new DLC

A reskin of the blacksteel katana, which is nice since I despawned all the Alone Knights and never got a katana drop. It's worth picking up just because of that.

2.jpg

That patch... my lighting... : ((((
Apparently someone went back to the original Japanese and did their own translation, and according to them the official English translation is not accurate.

Reduced damage of spells, should be reduced POISE damage of spells, so they would be less likely to cause enemies to flinch, but do the same damage,

Reminder, this is the last full day to pick up the reskinned Blacksteel Katana from the Majula mansion chest. It will be turned off at some point tomorrow.

Today is the last day to get the moonlight skinned long sword from the chest in the basement of the Majula mansion, it will be turned off at some point today.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on April 7, 2015 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0GxBZcVmHc

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will include the three previously released DLC packs  - Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the ivory King - along with additional features.

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements):
  • Additional NPCs added for an enhanced story experience. 
  • Parameter adjustments for improved game balance.
  • Augmented item descriptions. 
  • Improved online matchmaking functionality. 

Xbox One, PS4, and DirectX 11 versions of the game will include the following features (in addition to those listed above): 

• Additional upgrades to graphics, sound, performance.
  • Increase in maximum online players in single session (6 total).

I'll get it at $40, but there's no way I'll pay $60 for it. The graphics from that trailer really don't look that different and Bloodborne comes out like 10 days before it.

Yeah I really doubt that the graphics will be all that improved on PS4 and X1 but I mean... it is Dark Souls hahah I have to buy it. Even at $60 I will be gladly picking this up, even though I will already be lost in Bloodborne.

I will have Bloodborne on PS4 (obviously) and then Dark Souls 2 on my X1 and so if there is something wrong with either console (or just during excessive load times : P ) I can play the other hahah

Oh man. I am excited to play through Dark Souls 2 all over again and actually play the DLC this time. I bought the first pack but never ended up playing it since I already had so many new X1/PS4 games at that time.

Demon's Souls with Land of the Giants Archstone remake please!  :D

Anyway, I'll grab it after I'm done with Bloodborne. With all the constant back and forth of whether or not to port it to current-gen consoles, I figured it was a matter of time before it happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb8MxYLgx0k

The upcoming Dark Souls II upgrade is due out for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Outside of visual improvements and an increase in the maximum number of online players, current Dark Souls II owners will receive all the added content via a free patch due out on Thursday. The retail release is due out on April 7 in North America and April 3 in Europe. -src

bread's done
Back