Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm canceling my preorder.

It wouldn't have been an issue if this was what was to be included from the start but the fact they annoucned something, and then go back on it just over a month before release is really shady. A digital guide for a game like this is useless (especially since it'll likely be distributed online for everyone by someone or another).

This, along with no domestic release of Vesperia on the PS3 puts Namco in the same group as EA, Activision, Nintendo and Capcom for me. I'm probably going to wait until the game hits the bargain bins, and then pick up a used copy for even less.

I'm sure this all came about when some suits at Namco starting analyzing how much money they could save by substituting digital download items rather than physical items.

Whatever marketing spin they try to put on this like "Oh, the box is too small for a physical guide, That's why we had to switch to digital. But we're actually doing you a favor by it being digital!"

That's all bullshit. Its about dollars and cents, and cost-benefit analysis and garbage like that.

Edit: And in response to the poster saying someone should get fired for this? On the contrary, I'm sure someone got a nice little promotion over this.

I agree that since this is a bonus added on for free, people shouldnt get their panties in a bunch just because they are making some of the items digital. But then again, its also a shitty move to announce it but change it a month before release. Truthfully, anyone that cancels their orders is right to do so and anyone that keeps them despite the change are right also. Basicly just reevaluate what its worth to you and take it for what it is. Stop bitching cause numbers are all that matters and no amount of bitching is going to be as effective as just not buying it.

[quote name='henryVIII']I'm sure this all came about when some suits at Namco starting analyzing how much money they could save by substituting digital download items rather than physical items.

Whatever marketing spin they try to put on this like "Oh, the box is too small for a physical guide, That's why we had to switch to digital. But we're actually doing you a favor by it being digital!"

That's all bullshit. Its about dollars and cents, and cost-benefit analysis and garbage like that.

Edit: And in response to the poster saying someone should get fired for this? On the contrary, I'm sure someone got a nice little promotion over this.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't doubt that someone is looking pretty good in the finance department. But I'm talking about their PR department. This whole situation has been handled horribly. They have a website that currently has false information on it. There is no excuse for not putting out a press release that clearly states what comes in the CE. It would only take five to ten minutes. 20 if they wanted to make it sound really nice and give it some personality.

[quote name='sampyle']Oh, I don't doubt that someone is looking pretty good in the finance department. But I'm talking about their PR department. This whole situation has been handled horribly. They have a website that currently has false information on it. There is no excuse for not putting out a press release that clearly states what comes in the CE. It would only take five to ten minutes. 20 if they wanted to make it sound really nice and give it some personality.[/QUOTE]

:cry:

Question, is the CE ONLY available for preorders? Or is it going to be like Dead Space 2, where it is the first run of copies.

Seeing how the CE, while has nice extras, is nothing mind blowing, I think I am going to cancel my preorder at Amazon, since I put it on my credit card with no credit or gift card, and either buy it on sale a little while later or repurchase when I have amazon credit.

I am cancelling my order, not because of some metal case fiasco, but because when I preordered it, I didnt realize how many games would be dropping around then.

And since Best Buy has that 100 credit thing, I am shifting all my purchases to them....since I will easily be getting 4 or 5 of those games

The most sleazy thing about this is that every online retailer still says the CE will include everything Namco originally promised. 9 out of 10 people are still expecting all of these items to be delivered, and only pre-ordered because of them.

Namco needs a better explanation than the bullshit about "book is too big!" to renege like that. This reeks of them intending to cut the CE contents all along.

[quote name='Xenogears']The most sleazy thing about this is that every online retailer still says the CE will include everything Namco originally promised. 9 out of 10 people are still expecting all of these items to be delivered, and only pre-ordered because of them.

Namco needs a better explanation than the bullshit about "book is too big!" to renege like that. This reeks of them intending to cut the CE contents all along.[/QUOTE]

I don't think retailers can be faulted here. Whenever a publisher states an issue in regards to an un-released game, I always get an email from Amazon notifying me of said issue.

I'm guessing Namco is the one who still hasn't bothered to let anyone know because their own, official website for the game still hasn't been updated. And when everyone receives their items and seeing that it's not what it was supposed to be, they'll probably bitch at the retailer so Namco doesn't have to worry about it.

meh this will be a 29.99 or below purchase for me, was considering pre-order with CE upgrade but anyway, so much other coming out, i think i have over booked my fall schedule already.

I'm not faulting the retailers. If they know that the CE contents are likely not going to be as advertised they should update that information, but I am saying that Namco is at fault mostly. They need to get their shit together, decide on the CE contents, and let us know. Until then, they should not say they will be delivering items that they know they will not.

No physical guide is the deal breaker for me. After picking up the first game, I remember how completely stumped I was in regards to the unique game system (eg: world tendencies). It actually put me off playing for a while, simply being overwhelmed.

And later finding out the CE was the ONLY way to get a physical guide, I spent the next week online on-and-off just reading up on HOW to play the game before I gave it a proper go. Time well spent, certainly, but it was a damn shame that there wasn't a mass-market version of the guide available.

The rest of the CE bonuses never really interested me but IF Namco/From Software get a physical guide released separate from this pre-order fiasco, I'll pick the game up.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I went from preordering to making sure i buy used so they dont receive a dime from me...normally a very crappy thing to do but in this case its the only way i can think of to punish them in my own way for this garbage.[/QUOTE]

You certainly have the right to do so, but just remember that From Software is being punished as much, if not more, than Namco-Bandai. I was looking forward to a physical guide, I don't really care about any of the other stuff, apart from maybe the art book. But I'm still pre-ordering because Demon's Souls was such a fantastic game and I really want From Software to get as many sales as they can on this one, so they can keep doing what they are doing. Assuming, of course, that Dark Souls doesn't suck : )

I'll get it if anything besides the game/metal case is physical. If everything else is digital though no effin' thanks, and either way fuck you Namco

http://www.preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the highly anticipated game, strategy guide and a special art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery. The original soundtrack and behind-the-scenes video are included as exclusive downloads.

For a limited time - standard edition pre-orders automatically upgraded to collector's edition at no extra cost. Includes:

• Dark Souls game
  • Game guide
  • Special hardbound art book
  • Original soundtrack
  • Behind-the-scenes video

US CE description seems a little clearer than i remember it a few months ago. so we're only getting a digital behind the scenes and soundtrack. i really hope they don't botch it in the end. i'm fine with getting this but they should have just charged an extra $10 from the start

[quote name='wastedyears']You certainly have the right to do so, but just remember that From Software is being punished as much, if not more, than Namco-Bandai. I was looking forward to a physical guide, I don't really care about any of the other stuff, apart from maybe the art book. But I'm still pre-ordering because Demon's Souls was such a fantastic game and I really want From Software to get as many sales as they can on this one, so they can keep doing what they are doing. Assuming, of course, that Dark Souls doesn't suck : )[/QUOTE]
I won't lose any sleep over it, From Software had the opportunity to go with the publisher who originally supported them, Atlus, (remember, even Sony passed on the chance to publish the game in America as they helped develop it and published it in Japan) and turned Demon's Soul's into a hit, but instead they went with the company who likely offered more money to jump on the bandwagon of popularity after-the-fact (Namco).

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']No physical guide is the deal breaker for me. After picking up the first game, I remember how completely stumped I was in regards to the unique game system (eg: world tendencies). It actually put me off playing for a while, simply being overwhelmed.

And later finding out the CE was the ONLY way to get a physical guide, I spent the next week online on-and-off just reading up on HOW to play the game before I gave it a proper go. Time well spent, certainly, but it was a damn shame that there wasn't a mass-market version of the guide available.

The rest of the CE bonuses never really interested me but IF Namco/From Software get a physical guide released separate from this pre-order fiasco, I'll pick the game up.[/QUOTE]

I have seen listings on a few uk sites including amazon for one by Future Press

How much you wanna bet that the most people cancelling their order have never even played the first one (demon soul's)

physical guide, digital guide, soundtrack or no soundtrack means nothing to me! I'm paying for the gameplay, and for $45 from newegg, it's a win win for me.

[quote name='Kyoz']How much you wanna bet that the most people cancelling their order have never even played the first one (demon soul's)

physical guide, digital guide, soundtrack or no soundtrack means nothing to me! I'm paying for the gameplay, and for $45 from newegg, it's a win win for me.[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls is tied for my favorite PS3 game yet I'll cancel my pre-order if the art book is digital. The only reason I wanted this CE was the physical strategy guide and artbook. I can live with 1 for 2, but if I'm not getting either, there's no reason not to wait for a price drop/sale.

[quote name='Kyoz']How much you wanna bet that the most people cancelling their order have never even played the first one (demon soul's)

physical guide, digital guide, soundtrack or no soundtrack means nothing to me! I'm paying for the gameplay, and for $45 from newegg, it's a win win for me.[/QUOTE]

One of my two platinum trophies on PS3.

Pre-order canceled today from Amazon.

[quote name='se012']I have seen listings on a few uk sites including amazon for one by Future Press[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I looked it up and it's on the US site too but not currently available. I'll definitely be getting it though.

[quote name='henryVIII']One of my two platinum trophies on PS3.

Pre-order canceled today from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, one of my four platinum trophies on PS3. Preorder cancelled from amazon. I am going to try to buy it brand new after it drops to a price of

[quote name='guardian_owl']I won't lose any sleep over it, From Software had the opportunity to go with the publisher who originally supported them, Atlus, (remember, even Sony passed on the chance to publish the game in America as they helped develop it and published it in Japan) and turned Demon's Soul's into a hit, but instead they went with the company who likely offered more money to jump on the bandwagon of popularity after-the-fact (Namco).[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely correct. I remember being surprised to hear that Namco was publishing Dark Souls. You'd think Sony would have learned after the success of Demon's Souls. Then again, Demon's Souls sold more than even Atlus hoped it would sell, so it really was a surprise hit. Its kind of funny to look back on it now. I remember watching the Demon's Souls trailer for the first time and thinking the game looked really cool, then I saw it was by From Software and I thought it would end up being a lousy game since I had never really liked any of the games From Software had made before, other than Kings Field. Anyway, I didn't get the CE of Demon's Souls, but wished I had, just for the guide. So I'll be keeping my preorder, and hoping Dark Souls is just as good, if not better. Hopefully they will make weapon upgrades less of a pain in the ass this time. : )

^ namco bandai published the UK/EU versions of demon's souls so its actually not a surprise.

and in regards to the ce, my personal preference is:

price dropped dark souls + future press guide > dark souls ce with little guide/digital stuff on release date

[quote name='henryVIII']One of my two platinum trophies on PS3.

Pre-order canceled today from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='NEgami']Likewise, one of my four platinum trophies on PS3. Preorder cancelled from amazon. I am going to try to buy it brand new after it drops to a price of

It's kind of funny that this thread went batshit crazy when confirmed unconfirmed reports were reportedly reported that there was no longer a metal case. Now one post by a dude named Ilkar that "possibly a physical soundtrack and/or artbook" will be in the US CE and holy batshit, this thread just blew up again. I'm going to just wait until this thing gets released before the information vacuum causes my feeble brain to explode.

After visiting the website and carefully reading the verbiage, I'm about 110% sure the guide and art book will be physical. I don't see how they can advertise pictures of physical items this close to release without some sort of confirmation or clarification that ALL items will be DLC. I'm not worried, can't wait to flip through the pages of the books. If I'm wrong, I could think of a million things that would be worse.

[quote name='Kyoz']..and I'm sure you guys duped your way to platinum! :p But like I said, most. [/QUOTE]

Boy, that's some assumption. I put 220 hrs in total and got my ONLY platinum.

And in CAG fashion, I borrowed my friend's Deluxe set and used the heck out of the guide after the first few worlds for the short cuts.

So I'm out if the stuff is all digital. I'll wait a bit longer to cancel my pre-order.

[quote name='NEgami']Likewise, one of my four platinum trophies on PS3. Preorder cancelled from amazon. I am going to try to buy it brand new after it drops to a price of

[quote name='bob330i']Boy, that's some assumption. I put 220 hrs in total and got my ONLY platinum.

And in CAG fashion, I borrowed my friend's Deluxe set and used the heck out of the guide after the first few worlds for the short cuts.

So I'm out if the stuff is all digital. I'll wait a bit longer to cancel my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Weeeak, I had the original guide, heavily read it while I waited for the new one to get back from Atlus, and then sold it for $40 on eBay. Woot woot.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']You were really willing to pay $40 more just for a physical guide?[/QUOTE]
and i have it locked in at a cheaper price at amazon so it wouldn't be 40$. thanks for hating, though.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Namco is badly mishandling this whole situation. Changing most of the contents of the CE is not a good way to keep your customers happy.[/QUOTE]
why not ask everyone else why they want to pay so much for a guide?

actually, most will be playing Deus Ex:HR, Resistance 3, Gears 3, Ico/SotC, Dead Island, Rage, Forza 4, Batman:Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Assassins Creed: Revalations, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, LoZ: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3DS (Land?), Tales of the Abyss 3DS, ETC, ETC, and there's no point in paying full price for all of these. i will pick ones that give an amazon cred, or a worthwhile bonus for a preorder (to me, which all digital crap for Dark Souls is not).

[quote name='twztid13']actually, most will be playing Deus Ex:HR, Resistance 3, Gears 3, Ico/SotC, Dead Island, Rage, Forza 4, Batman:Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Assassins Creed: Revalations, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, LoZ: Skyward Sword, Super Mario 3DS (Land?), Tales of the Abyss 3DS, ETC, ETC, and there's no point in paying full price for all of these. i will pick ones that give an amazon cred, or a worthwhile bonus for a preorder (to me, which all digital crap for Dark Souls is not).[/QUOTE]

This is your profile right? http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=twztid13

"Demon Souls 0%"

So back to my original post, I'm paying for the game play...something you wouldn't have any idea about...;)

Unfortunately, I haven't played through Demon's Souls really at all. It's a big shame really, since I took a huge hiatus from console gaming for such a long time, that I'm starting to get back into console gaming and moving away from PC gaming (except for the occasional Osu! plays and TF2 rounds).

My biggest debate at the moment is this vs WKC2. Both $60 and that's where my budget is.

[quote name='Kyoz']This is your profile right? http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=twztid13

"Demon Souls 0%"

So back to my original post, I'm paying for the game play...something you wouldn't have any idea about...;)[/QUOTE]

You really need to stop. Whether or not someone platinumed, dupe/cheated/glitched the platinum, played Demons Souls, or never touched it does not negate what they feel is a good deal.

I am still buying this day one since I am really looking forward to it. When people debunk your claims that no one here even played Demon's Souls you ignore them until someone voices their opinion but doesn't mention you or your comments you act hostile toward them.

You do what you want with your money that you feel is right for you and let everyone else do the same. They are not saying no one should buy this, they are just saying how they feel and why they are/aren't getting it based on the news of what is/isn't included in the pre-order CE.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']You really need to stop. Whether or not someone platinumed, dupe/cheated/glitched the platinum, played Demons Souls, or never touched it does not negate what they feel is a good deal.

I am still buying this day one since I am really looking forward to it. When people debunk your claims that no one here even played Demon's Souls you ignore them until someone voices their opinion but doesn't mention you or your comments you act hostile toward them.

You do what you want with your money that you feel is right for you and let everyone else do the same. They are not saying no one should buy this, they are just saying how they feel and why they are/aren't getting it based on the news of what is/isn't included in the pre-order CE.[/QUOTE]

You don't understand what i'm complaining about.

I'm defending the damn game, while the cheap asses bash the shit out of it because they're not getting certain items. So many people visit this forum and when they see people who post whines and cries like the above posters, it definitely discourages others whether it has to do with gameplay or bonus pre-order items.

I can understand why people are upset, especially the true collectors (hoarders lol), but when they come in here and are all like... BLAHH CANCELLED! $30 PRICE DROP FOR ME, etc etc....like really?? c'mon now. Since when did a deal gone bad decide the games fate? If you're like me and enjoy playing games with awesome game-play, deals don't make or break it for me, that's all i'm saying brah! :roll:

I understand completely. As you pointed out this is cheapassgamer. There are tons of great games coming out, not everyone will buy them all at release for $40-60. They rather get the games they really want for the higher price and wait for the other games to be $20 or so.

The reason this is a big deal is that the bonus was an incentive to pre-order. Now that the incentive is gone to get it at release date by getting bonus items they'll wait till they save money.

Not once did I notice anyone bash the game, but they based the back and forth and lack of correct/constantly changing info about what the pre-order bonus came with.

Imagine if you go to buy a TV that you are interested in but it's a tad too expensive for you right now, but the store is advertising this great deal. Say 4 pairs of 3D glasses and a 3D BR player with a 3D BR of your choice. You get to the store and they are all out of the glasses. It kills the deal, the TV is still a great TV, but now that the bonus which put you over the edge to splurge on it instead of waiting for a price drop is gone you simply won't get it.

And once again you resort to insulting people. I consider myself a true collector and I sure as hell am not a hoarder.

[quote name='Kyoz']You don't understand what i'm complaining about.

I'm defending the damn game, while the cheap asses bash the shit out of it because they're not getting certain items...[/QUOTE]

Not directly replying, but you got me to go back and re-read my earlier post, and sure as shit I made it seem I was not going to be purchasing the game at all. This is not the case at all :D

I'm simply in the same grumpy boat others are in, where I/we/they were ready to jump onto what we saw as an incredible deal considering:

1.)How Expensive Demon's Souls CE goes for nowadays
2.)How invaluable a physical guide could be regarding the games brutal difficulty.

At this point, anyone reading this thread should realize that (almost) everyone who's bashing/whining/complaining isn't directing these complaints at the actual game at all.

Can't wait for this game to come out.

The complaints are hilarious, though. Screams of "I'm in trouble, please recommend this message!" players.

if you're going on this site you should also know that the annual buy 2 get 1 free deal and/or bf deals are right around the corner. why wouldnt you understand the reason others would want to cancel their preorder. they can just a wait a few weeks and get it while the deals are going on.

wkc2 has both 1 and 2 on it and is more of an mmo style rpg, while demons/dark souls are more of an action rpg.

demons souls is only 20 bucks on amazon right now so just pick it up and if u like it then go for dark souls. if not, go with WKC2 (particularly if mmo rpgs are more ur thing). also WKC2 includes WKC1 on it as well if that means anything to you.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Unfortunately, I haven't played through Demon's Souls really at all. It's a big shame really, since I took a huge hiatus from console gaming for such a long time, that I'm starting to get back into console gaming and moving away from PC gaming (except for the occasional Osu! plays and TF2 rounds).

My biggest debate at the moment is this vs WKC2. Both $60 and that's where my budget is.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kyoz']This is your profile right? http://us.playstation.com/publictrophy/index.htm?onlinename=twztid13

"Demon Souls 0%"

So back to my original post, I'm paying for the game play...something you wouldn't have any idea about...;)[/QUOTE]
you are actually pretty wrong on both counts, BRAH.
1. i played most of Demon's Souls on my japanese account because noone was sure if it was being released here for a while.
2. i am not canceling my preorder.
i will if it's all digital stuff, though. i can wait to play it, but i will still get it eventually. other games that come with better preorder bonuses/money promos will come 1st (all amazon cuz that's where all my credit is, and i've been unemployed for 2 years, so this is how i get to play the newest games). someone doesn't need to play Demon's Souls to be excited about Dark Souls (MANY of which own a 360 only).

[quote name='Kyoz']You don't understand what i'm complaining about.

I'm defending the damn game, while the cheap asses bash the shit out of it because they're not getting certain items. So many people visit this forum and when they see people who post whines and cries like the above posters, it definitely discourages others whether it has to do with gameplay or bonus pre-order items.

I can understand why people are upset, especially the true collectors (hoarders lol), but when they come in here and are all like... BLAHH CANCELLED! $30 PRICE DROP FOR ME, etc etc....like really?? c'mon now. Since when did a deal gone bad decide the games fate? If you're like me and enjoy playing games with awesome game-play, deals don't make or break it for me, that's all i'm saying brah! :roll:[/QUOTE]
i will bet my life that your posts discourage gamers from visiting this thread more than any other CAG here (and you are at cheapassgamers.com, right?).

bread's done
Back