Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sad they had to use this bait & switch tactic on folks, to get those pre-order numbers up. Eh, maybe it's not that simple, maybe it is. We'll never know. Dark Souls will still be worth playing IMO.

I'll probably pick up the game at the 30-40 range, and just get the physical guide (sold separately), which will basically just bring the cost back up to its original $60. Anyone still a little unhappy about the whole ordeal might want to do the same to make themselves feel a bit better. :D

At this point I'd rather pay Atlus to have From develop some DLC ala Land of the giants for Demon Soul's to purchase and also pay a monthly fee for them to keep the servers running just to kick Namco in the sack.

[quote name='fishphoenix']It's still got the special case and artbook. Just the mini strategy guide and making of video disc are now digital.[/QUOTE]
I really only care about the metal case personally. I'll look at everything else once maybe, if even. Just like with every other CE ever.

[quote name='Green Card200']What a simple-minded approach to the issue.[/QUOTE]

And cancelling your pre-order of what will most likely be a great game because instead of getting a physical mini strategy guide you get a digital one is not simple minded? This thread is so funny.

Long story short;

Was moving- not happening.
Change Amazon ship address from PO Box back to house.
Try to add RDD- not happening.
Contact Amazon- no can fix unless I want to pay for 1 day ship.
Soon after;
zzz.jpg

Didn't feel like arguing, past couple hours have been annoying and was waiting in the chat for over an hour.
Probably miss interpreted things, try again in the morning.

thats the worst english i've ever read from an amazon cs rep. try having them call you, as you are more likely to receive a rep from America, especially at this hour.

[quote name='KrizB']Long story short;

Was moving- not happening.
Change Amazon ship address from PO Box back to house.
Try to add RDD- not happening.
Contact Amazon- no can fix unless I want to pay for 1 day ship.
Soon after;
zzz.jpg

Didn't feel like arguing, past couple hours have been annoying and was waiting in the chat for over an hour.
Probably miss interpreted things, try again in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Feels like it's going to be one of those times...

Pretty much have to call them now, tomorrow from 8am-2pm SC Edison is going to shut off the power in the neighborhood.
Made sure to get Amazons 866 number.

The good and bad of it now is that Amazon just waived the fee's for one day shipping, but it won't be here until Oct 6th.
:lol:

I just checked my "open orders" and noticed that for my dark souls preorder it doesn't mention "collector's edition" although amazon has a collector's edition available for preorder?

Is that standard?

[quote name='GBAstar']I just checked my "open orders" and noticed that for my dark souls preorder it doesn't mention "collector's edition" although amazon has a collector's edition available for preorder?

Is that standard?[/QUOTE]

Are we even certain the "collectors edition" isn't just the initial batch of copies being released (like with EA's "limited/signature" edition releases for Bad Company 2, Dragon Age 2, etc)?

My 2 cents is that if I worked for namco I would just send everyone the standard since people apparently won't complain about not getting free stuff.

[quote name='evanwink']My 2 cents is that if I worked for namco I would just send everyone the standard since people apparently won't complain about not getting free stuff.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Pretty much. This CE is already on par with ones that cost $70.

[quote name='whoknows']Pretty much. This CE is already on par with ones that cost $70.[/QUOTE]LOL; except it doesn't even beat the Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition........ I believe most people are cancelling because they can wait for a lower price, the only reason they pre-ordered in the first place was because of all the physical bonus incentives which have slowly disappeared.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Are we even certain the "collectors edition" isn't just the initial batch of copies being released (like with EA's "limited/signature" edition releases for Bad Company 2, Dragon Age 2, etc)?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Some retailers are getting regular copies only.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']LOL; except it doesn't even beat the Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition........ I believe most people are cancelling because they can wait for a lower price, the only reason they pre-ordered in the first place was because of all the physical bonus incentives which have slowly disappeared.[/QUOTE]

I preordered so that I could get this rad Dark Souls game. I hear it's going to be pretty good. Had I played and loved the first one, I'd probably be even more sure of the new one's quality.

[quote name='eastx']I preordered so that I could get this rad Dark Souls game. I hear it's going to be pretty good. Had I played and loved the first one, I'd probably be even more sure of the new one's quality.[/QUOTE]Coincidentally I am actually playing through Demon's Souls right now and having a blast... I am an old-school gamer and miss the challenge that used to be present in many games. I placed a Dark Souls pre-order because it came with some great extras. I cancelled the pre-order when they turned into downloads because I have a few other games on pre-order and wouldn't get to Dark Souls until sometime next year (aka price drop).
[quote name='whoknows']I pre-ordered so I could read a mini strategy guide over and over and put the actual game in the trash.[/QUOTE]You know, I think a strategy guide would be pretty handy for a game like this. Maybe it's just me :roll:

[quote name='JordanPlayer']
You know, I think a strategy guide would be pretty handy for a game like this. Maybe it's just me :roll:[/QUOTE]
Strategy guide? Sure. Future Press has you covered.

Mini strategy guide? Not so much.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']You know, I think a strategy guide would be pretty handy for a game like this. Maybe it's just me :roll:[/QUOTE]

You act like it still doesn't come with a strategy guide. Yeah it's not an actual book that you can flip through, but your point is completely invalidated since one is actually included still.

And if you want a physical one, I guarantee you the FuturePress one will be superior in every way to whatever mini guide included

Yeah, the Future Press book is obviously the way to go. I understand Jordan waiting because he's still working on Demon's Souls, but people who are really interested in playing the game this year have a much less compelling argument for cancellation.

[quote name='whoknows']I pre-ordered so I could read a mini strategy guide over and over and put the actual game in the trash.[/QUOTE]

you knwo demon souls isn't even suppose to be fun. its just a pain in the ass game that works like online mmo raiding.
eventually after enough drinks ya figure stuff out and beat the level. :)

I guess everyone got somewhat spoiled by the fact that the original came with a full-fledged quality guide for $70 and for this one it didn't turn out that way. However, if you got in on the Newegg deal for $48ish plus a $24 Future Press guide it wouldn't come out to be too much more compared to the original Deluxe Edition :) Gotta think of it in a more positive light for those buying Day 1 I guess hehe

[quote name='Kevfactor']you knwo demon souls isn't even suppose to be fun[/QUOTE]
Go back to CoD & stay there with the rest of kiddies.

[quote name='JordanPlayer']Coincidentally I am actually playing through Demon's Souls right now and having a blast... I am an old-school gamer and miss the challenge that used to be present in many games. I placed a Dark Souls pre-order because it came with some great extras. I cancelled the pre-order when they turned into downloads because I have a few other games on pre-order and wouldn't get to Dark Souls until sometime next year (aka price drop).
You know, I think a strategy guide would be pretty handy for a game like this. Maybe it's just me :roll:[/QUOTE]

Same here...Skyrim will last well into next year. Stupid to buy Dark Souls for $60 plus tax to have it sit on the shelf, lol.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Same here...Skyrim will last well into next year.[/QUOTE]
I don't know why anyone buys Elder Scroll games at release when the GoTY edition pops up a year or two later. By then you get all the DLC not to mention thousands of mods to choose from should you go with PC.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I don't know why anyone buys Elder Scroll games at release when the GoTY edition pops up a year or two later. By then you get all the DLC not to mention thousands of mods to choose from should you go with PC.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because people would actually like to play the game now, rather then wait 1-2 years for all of the DLC to be out.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I don't know why anyone buys Elder Scroll games at release when the GoTY edition pops up a year or two later. By then you get all the DLC not to mention thousands of mods to choose from should you go with PC.[/QUOTE]

You could easily spend a year or two playing Oblivion or Skyrim and not be done with them by the time the GOTY edition hits. I put 200 hours into Oblivion and that's without even touching The Shivering Isles.

Also, what Ray said. :p

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I don't know why anyone buys Elder Scroll games at release when the GoTY edition pops up a year or two later.[/QUOTE]

Wow! You really can't figure it out? It's because we want don't want to wait years to play it.

I was going to wait until Dark Souls dropped to $20 (wait years if needed), but after I realized that this game will be very difficult and frustrating I decided to pass it entirely. I think only a masochist would enjoy that game. This coming from a player who loved and platinumed Demon's Souls.

I think this game is riding on Demon's Souls popularity but after a while people will realize it's not that much fun and its popularity (and price) will plummet.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']
I was going to wait until Dark Souls dropped to $20 (wait years if needed), but after I realized that this game will be very difficult and frustrating I decided to pass it entirely. I think only a masochist would enjoy that game. This coming from a player who loved and platinumed Demon's Souls.

I think this game is riding on Demon's Souls popularity but after a while people will realize it's not that much fun and its popularity (and price) will plummet.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you wait until some reviews come along? You can't know it will be more frustrating or less fun than its predecessor when the game's not even out yet.

[quote name='eastx']Why don't you wait until some reviews come along? You can't know it will be more frustrating or less fun than its predecessor when the game's not even out yet.[/QUOTE]

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1195837p1.html

"I already know that reviewing Dark Souls is an experience I'm never, ever going to forget. Putting in 10+ hour daily shifts on huge games isn't an alien concept to most people in my profession - but a game that's this dark, this punishing, this emotionally demanding? And - of course - a game this fist-eatingly, heart-achingly, soul-crushingly difficult? This is a whole other thing. Having spent 12 hours of the last 24 immersing myself in its world, Dark Souls is actually starting to affect my mental health.

I'd love to say that things get off to a gentle start, but they really don't. Dark Souls' first proper boss is still the hardest of any I've faced so far - partly because you are, by necessity, so underpowered when you meet him. He's called the Taurus Demon, and he's utterly hateful. You stride out onto a bridge, and he drops down from nowhere, a bull-headed, winged, aggressive satyr ten times your size, sporting a club that can end you in two hits if you get unlucky. Run away from him, he chases you. Attack him, he crushes you. Get behind him, he steps back and spikes you with metal protrusions on his legs. He is proper hard, and he lives at the top of a tower that you have to climb every time you want to face him. He is, all told, a woefully obstinate introduction to the game - and one that seems to set the tone for the rest of this mammoth, psychotic endeavor.

I can't quite explain that special gamer's psychological process that enables you to fail at something over and over and over again and still maintain the will to go on. I think you have to be a certain type of thrill-seeking masochist to even entertain the notion of a game like Dark Souls. Every death at Taurus' hands brought me closer to sheer mental exhaustion. Time after time I'd get him to within a few hits of death, then feel my hands turn to jelly as the nerves ruined my reflexes and he caught me in a one-two attack loop, dispassionately ending my life over and over again on the end of that massive club.

I slayed Taurus - after more than three hours of continuous failure - with a final, desperate swipe, a death throe, milliseconds before he crushed me beneath his club for what felt like the 600th time. As "YOU ARE DEAD" flashed up on the screen, I was ready to give up games journalism and go become a lawyer like my school careers advisor always said I should - but then, in the background, just before the screen faded to black, I saw that bull-headed bastard fall to his knees, felt the head-spinning rush of triumphant adrenaline that only games have ever given me, and I knew that Dark Souls now owned me completely. Just like Demon's Souls did before it.

Things are so difficult in Dark Souls that, after the first fifteen hours, the question I keep asking myself is "have they gone too far?" Truth is, for Demon's Souls devotees, there's *almost* no such thing as too far. The bigger the challenge, the bigger the reward, and the more thrilling the final victory. For anyone who hasn't played through Demon's Souls before it, though, I'm not sure that Dark Souls does enough to tease you with that thrill before dropping you straight into the deep end. You have to fight tooth and claw here right from the off.

It's also huge. In the Chain of Pain - the little email support group that a collective of Dark Souls reviewers is currently relying upon for tips and moral support, in the absence of the online community that will grow up around the game when it actually launches - one of my fellows reckons he's about a quarter of the way through the game after 60 hours. This is something that people will spend months playing.

This a very different game from Demon's Souls, with a different rhythm and structure. The bonfires change the way you play entirely, removing the option to run back to a safe haven and regroup before heading back out into the fray. And without wanting to give too much away, its tone is different too; it's darker, more distressing, and more claustrophobic despite its open-world structure. It encroaches subtly on your mental well-being.

I'll be writing more about that in the next installment of this review diary. For now, though, we can answer at least one question: is Dark Souls harder than Demon's Souls? Well, yes - much harder - but for some reason I've not quite put my finger on yet, it's not more dispiriting."

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Pissed PS3 version is out of stock, had to cancel in order to reapply bonus credit and now its gone...[/QUOTE]

Why did you cancelled?
Yo can call or chat with a CS rep and they will gladly apply the credit to your order without cancelling it.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Demon's Souls was easy. I'm glad Dark Souls is bringing the difficulty up a bit.[/QUOTE]

Up a "bit" ? :lol:

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Demon's Souls was easy. I'm glad Dark Souls is bringing the difficulty up a bit.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure anyone would say it was easy. I think once you figured out how to play, it was manageable. Saying it is easy is a stretch or internet hyperbole.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']I'm not sure anyone would say it was easy. I think once you figured out how to play, it was manageable. Saying it is easy is a stretch or internet hyperbole.[/QUOTE]

Once things clicked for me I breezed through the rest of the game without much trouble at all.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1195837p1.html
[/QUOTE]

I read that, but it should be taken with a grain of salt. She's playing without the benefit of a guide or all the stuff that people figure out after everyone's been playing for a while. And maybe she just sucks, how do we know? Unless many reviewers complain about the same thing, we shouldn't take a single person's opinion as fact.

Also, Speedracer. Nobody likes a braggart/masochist.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Once things clicked for me I breezed through the rest of the game without much trouble at all.[/QUOTE]

Riiiiight. :roll:

Then try a NG+, you'll get your ass handed to you all over again.

[quote name='eastx']I read that, but it should be taken with a grain of salt. She's playing without the benefit of a guide or all the stuff that people figure out after everyone's been playing for a while. And maybe she just sucks, how do we know? Unless many reviewers complain about the same thing, we shouldn't take a single person's opinion as fact.

Also, Speedracer. Nobody likes a braggart/masochist.[/QUOTE]

But I'm not even very good at games! I died at least 2-3 times more in Uncharted 2 than I did in Demon's Souls. I just personally found the difficulty in Demon's Souls to be almost always fair, if that makes sense?

[quote name='DaShaka']Riiiiight. :roll:

Then try a NG+, you'll get your ass handed to you all over again.[/QUOTE]

I'm no hardcore guy but once you get the process and boss moves down, NG+ or higher was just as easy as NG++++. It was the first time through that was the toughest for me. Platinumed after 200hrs, the last 40 or so to get the pure bladestone to drop.

However, I think I will be pulling my hair out if the reviewer is accurate about the first playthrough. I might have to break out the guide which I typically only do after my first playthrough of a game. We'll see what people have to say after the first few weeks of release.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Pissed PS3 version is out of stock, had to cancel in order to reapply bonus credit and now its gone...[/QUOTE]

I'm pissed Amazon is showing my pre-order (from back in May) as the regular edition, and when I went into chat the CS monkey couldn't tell me if I was getting the CE or not. It even went so far as to suggest I contact the manufacturer.

Gah, these past 2 weeks have been utter BALLS. DS is about the only thing I'm looking forward to. Gonna lose it if I don't get my CE.

[quote name='morrodox']I'm pissed Amazon is showing my pre-order (from back in May) as the regular edition, and when I went into chat the CS monkey couldn't tell me if I was getting the CE or not. It even went so far as to suggest I contact the manufacturer.

Gah, these past 2 weeks have been utter BALLS. DS is about the only thing I'm looking forward to. Gonna lose it if I don't get my CE.[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me, but they assured me it will be the CE. I am in the same boat as you. I pre-ordered in mid may. If not I will send it back at their expense and get a full refund. Unless they want me to keep it and give me a partial refund for their screw up. If they do screw it up. I will revist my positioning on pre-ordering CE/LE from amazon. Because if they do screw it up, it will be the second CE they screwed up on me in under 4 months.

Edit: now the amazon page Just says Dark Souls for the xbox 360 no matter what version you click

[quote name='Ray5555']Same thing happened to me, but they assured me it will be the CE. I am in the same boat as you. I pre-ordered in mid may. If not I will send it back at their expense and get a full refund. Unless they want me to keep it and give me a partial refund for their screw up. If they do screw it up. I will revist my positioning on pre-ordering CE/LE from amazon. Because if they do screw it up, it will be the second CE they screwed up on me in under 4 months.[/QUOTE]

I think most of us that pre-ordered on May are on the same boat. When I checked with Chat Support they said that I was getting the CE. Personally I'm not really stressed about it, because the pre-order was placed five months before release, so they can't come up with the "ran out of stock" story on us.

I pre-ordered a copy in May, and I (mostly) have no idea what the hell's going on. To me, it's one of those "buy it first, then figure it out later" sort of deals.

Same as everyone else pre-ordered May 11,2011 and It shows regular edition but when you click on it that takes you to the collector edition page.... which is the same as the regular edition :p

I called amazon and got the same answer as when I chatted with them onlie. They said we will get the CE. Also on a side note, when did amazon start employing hispanic people who can barely speak english as customer reps when you call in?

[quote name='morrodox']I'm pissed Amazon is showing my pre-order (from back in May) as the regular edition, and when I went into chat the CS monkey couldn't tell me if I was getting the CE or not. It even went so far as to suggest I contact the manufacturer.

Gah, these past 2 weeks have been utter BALLS. DS is about the only thing I'm looking forward to. Gonna lose it if I don't get my CE.[/QUOTE]
Hehe, and I was just about to e-mail their support to find out something similar to your situation. Instead of the CE, I actually want the standard edition (I like the way the standard Xbox 360 cases look on my shelf), so I was going to ask them if I pre-order the standard edition now, would it automatically be upgraded to the CE or not.

In the end I didn't send the e-mail because I figured I can just go buy it at a brick and mortar store on release day because I missed out on any pre-order deals anyway. Well, I'm hoping retailers have the standard edition... >.>;;

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Once things clicked for me I breezed through the rest of the game without much trouble at all.[/QUOTE]

Really? It clicked for me right away, sorry you had trouble with it at the start. The Internet makes saying stuff like this easy.

Looks like my May pre-order looks the same as everyone else's.

Hope I get the CE, but if I don't I'm sure I can make a big stink for an adjustment.

I just really want the game.

This is the problem having a "just order the regular edition and you should get the collector's" way of doing it... should have been a defined collectors edition for 10 bucks more then you'd KNOW 100% your getting it and I'd be fine with that.

can't wait to get the game though!

bread's done
Back