Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
EU gets: Digital game guide, DVD soundtrack and behind the scenes video
US gets: Hardcover game guide, digital soundtrack and behind the scenes video.

Both regions get the hardcover art book and the slipcase. Nobody gets a steelbook. As of now i think that is how things stand

[quote name='Xenogears']EU gets: Digital game guide, DVD soundtrack and behind the scenes video
US gets: Hardcover game guide, digital soundtrack and behind the scenes video.

Both regions get the hardcover art book and the slipcase. Nobody gets a steelbook. As of now i think that is how things stand[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right. But I get the feeling NAMCO will announce sooner or later that the US will also be getting a digital copy of the game guide, rather than physical copy. Of course, they'll spin it to make it seem like they're doing us a favor.

For me personally, the game guide is the deal breaker. The unofficial wiki will no doubt be much more comprehensive, so the digital guide has zero value for me. A hardcover physical copy, however, would be awesome.

I guess its all speculation until the publisher makes an official announcement.

On July 16th a mod at preparetodie.com posted the following in a thread titled "CE Edition no longer contains a hardbound guide book?!" (he did not create the thread, this is just a response by him within it):
Okay, before anybody else posts in here, I want to share my own opinion.

I think that what NB is doing is pretty shitty, yes, but there's no right for any of us to be mad at them. They offered us a free edition of the CE, meaning that nobody here paid for its contents (As far as I know, there was no option to buy a CE of the game, only a preorder for DkS that also gave you the CE for free). All of us paid for the game, and the CE was tacked on as a bonus from them. You can't complain that you're not getting your money's worth out of it by them changing the guide, because you didn't even pay for the guide in the first place. Furthermore, boycotting NB over a strategy guide is just plain stupid. I'm still going to buy the game despite their changing the contents of the CE because I paid for the game, and you guys keep complaining about changing the guide while drooling over DkS. Seriously?
I've read through the threads there and not even the mods (at least one of which is apparently in contact with NB every day), seem to be able to give a direct answer of what it includes. So I dont know if it simply still isn't confirmed or if they're just holding off to let people know what is and isn't included.

Xeno obviously none of us know, but what makes you think the guide book is something physical? Is it just the listing on preparetodie.com or did you read something else somehwere? I see on preparetodie.com there is no mention of the guide being digital on the pre-order page, and the mock up pic shows what I'd imagine is a physical game guide. It's all really damn confusing.

I don't understand what many of you are whining about, you get a FREE upgrade to the collectors edition. Who cares of it doesn't come in a steel case or has digital dowloadable content instead of hard copies, it's FREE. So what are you going to do? cancel your pre-prders and pay the same price for the regular version?

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']I don't understand what many of you are whining about, you get a FREE upgrade to the collectors edition. Who cares of it doesn't come in a steel case or has digital dowloadable content instead of hard copies, it's FREE. So what are you going to do? cancel your pre-prders and pay the same price for the regular version?[/QUOTE]
No, they're going to cancel their preorder and then wait for a price drop. A digital guide is only slightly above worthless because from the perspective of collectors it's not resellable and from the perspective of people who would actually use it, it fairly useless because if you have to log onto a computer or tablet to read it anyway, you might as well use the wiki or another FAQ for free.

I, like I assume many, am choosing to pay full price instead of waiting because of the extras included in the limited edition. As they slowly strip away the attractiveness of the extras they erode the incentive to jump in for $60 instead of waiting for the fairly rapid price drop on the later shipments of the standard edition.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Xeno obviously none of us know, but what makes you think the guide book is something physical? Is it just the listing on preparetodie.com or did you read something else somehwere? I see on preparetodie.com there is no mention of the guide being digital on the pre-order page, and the mock up pic shows what I'd imagine is a physical game guide. It's all really damn confusing.[/QUOTE]

Right, just the listing on prepare to die.com. The picture and the CE description still says the guide book is physical. I'm just saying as of right now, the information that has been given is that US still gets physical guidebook, EU does not.

EU has gotten a definite no on the physical guidebook (The no is from a retailer in the EU, not from Namco-Bandai, but sounds pretty definite to me) US has not yet gotten a definite no on the physical guide yet...so I personally am not considering cancelling until this happens. Here is the confirmation that EU is not getting a physical guidebook. And while this makes it seem that US will not either, different regions have gotten different CE contents many times.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
The email being sent to ShopTo.net customers who have pre-ordered the CE:
Dear Customer,

We would like to inform you that there has been a slight change to the pack content for your pre-ordered copy of Dark Souls.

We are pleased to announce that the development team behind the game have decided to enhance the already superb content for Dark Souls by replacing the `mini game guide' (hardcopy) with a `complete game guide' due to the challenging level of game play that this title offers.

However, the implication of producing a `full game guide' is that a hard copy could not physically fit in pack, as such this will now be available as a downloadable element via an in box code.

Therefore to confirm, the pack will now consist of:

· The Dark Souls game
· The Artbook
· The Making of DVD
· The Official Sound Track CD
· The `Complete' game guide (via download).

There is no price point increase for this improved content and your pre-order has not been affected.

Regards,

The ShopTo Team

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']I don't understand what many of you are whining about, you get a FREE upgrade to the collectors edition. Who cares of it doesn't come in a steel case or has digital dowloadable content instead of hard copies, it's FREE. So what are you going to do? cancel your pre-prders and pay the same price for the regular version?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else, but my plan would be to cancel my pre-order and just buy a cheap used copy at some point in the future.

I respect that fact that they're offering anything at all, but if all the bonuses are now downgraded to digital version, the incentive for me to pre-order is gone. That's all. I will still certainly get the game at some point, but it would no longer make sense for me to pre-order it.

And I don't think anybody is really whining. I think people are just disappointed. They offered a great incentive that people were excited about, then essentially rescinded the offer. Or at least drastically scaled it back.

We're just going over it again and again but if you honestly dont understand it goes like this:

They announce the free upgrade to the CE and everyone is excited until learning that the game guide may not be physical at all, and there may be no "metal case" either. So expectations were there and now people are being let down.

Some people won't care because they just want the game. Period. Surprisingly though there is another group of people in this crazy world that do care. Maybe they are into CEs at least as much as the game. Maybe some of them just feel like they're being BSed. Maybe some are actually mad for the reason you stated (I'm not at all one of those people and I'm guessing very very few are).

For me it's because I want physical stuff. I do not want digital stuff. That's all there is to it in my case. If they want to charge me $100 for the game, physical guide, and a steelbook...that may be slightly steep, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it day one because of those CE items.

If it is all digital, I dont want it. I am not so into the game that I couldn't wait for it to be somewhere around $40 or less used. That is why I personally am annoyed that they don't have a clear answer as to what you'd be getting if you bought it day one.

If you don't agree with that do you at least understand it now?

[quote name='ShockandAww']We're just going over it again and again but if you honestly dont understand it goes like this:

They announce the free upgrade to the CE and everyone is excited until learning that the game guide may not be physical at all, and there may be no "metal case" either. So expectations were there and now people are being let down.

Some people won't care because they just want the game. Period. Surprisingly though there is another group of people in this crazy world that do care. Maybe they are into CEs at least as much as the game. Maybe some of them just feel like they're being BSed. Maybe some are actually mad for the reason you stated (I'm not at all one of those people and I'm guessing very very few are).

For me it's because I want physical stuff. I do not want digital stuff. That's all there is to it in my case. If they want to charge me $100 for the game, physical guide, and a steelbook...that may be slightly steep, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it day one because of those CE items.

If it is all digital, I dont want it. I am not so into the game that I couldn't wait for it to be somewhere around $40 or less used. That is why I personally am annoyed that they don't have a clear answer as to what you'd be getting if you bought it day one.

If you don't agree with that do you at least understand it now?[/QUOTE]

Well said, ShockandAww. :)

[quote name='ShockandAww']If you don't agree with that do you at least understand it now?[/QUOTE]

I understand being let down, it's always disappointing to hear you aren't getting what you thought you were...but cancelling your pre-order over it just seems a little silly is all. It's a good deal for what should be an amazing game.

I just want to play the game. The extra stuff is a nice bonus.

The whiners are hilarious, although it really is a bummer that Atlus isn't the one putting this out here. I would much rather give them my money.

Canceling your preorder over this isn't silly it's a dickhead move by Namco and why not hit them where it hurts in the only way a consumer is able too. I for one don't want to have to be stopping and looking on my laptop if I need to figure something out in the game, which I could do for free without the offered guide. With Demon souls I played with the guide next to me, when I got stuck or needed a hint I would check out the guide and refer to it as necessary as I played. I only preordered because as with the first game I figured that the physical copy guide would only come with the CE and then not be available and the original steelbook offer was a plus also. But to just get a game with a bunch of digital download stuff and an artbook physical copy (which personally I don't care about) isn't worth me paying full price on this game regardless of what I'm getting 'free', games drop like rocks lately and I can wait till this one does and pick it up cheap if the preorder doesn't meet my expectations as it's my money and I'm sure many other cags feel the same way.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Namco Bandai Community Manager/Twitter link on preparetodie.com goes to him

http://twitter.com/#!/Filthierich

Let him know how you feel, ya never know[/QUOTE]

That's a much better idea than outright canceling preorders. I'm not at all a fan of Namco, but if Dark Souls doesn't sell well, we won't see more Dark Souls or Demon's Souls for that matter.

The whole "giving us stuff for free so don't complain" bs just doesn't hold water because many of those who preordered would not have done so if they knew what the ce actually would or would not include...no steelbook, etc is a no sale for me at 60. I don't care how much I loves demons souls ill just wait a couple weeks until this drops to 40 bucks like every game does.

[quote name='JaylisJayP'] because many of those who preordered would not have done so if they knew what the ce actually would or would not include...[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Kind of like a bait and switch. A lot of people who initially pre-ordered don't pay attention to this stuff like we do, so when this comes out without a steelbook (or metal case, w/e) and possibly no physical guide a lot of people will be pissed.

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']in b4 the CE doesn't include a copy of the game[/QUOTE]

It's a digital copy of the game that you view on your PC

[quote name='SCDallas']It's a digital copy of the game that you view on your PC[/QUOTE]

You actually just get a unique demo. You solve a puzzle, and then you post your results on a community website with everyone else's entry. If you figure out the puzzle it unlocks the whole game. If not, oh wellllll

[quote name='SCDallas']It's a digital copy of the game that you view on your PC[/QUOTE]

"Because the game is packed with so much difficulty and content, we thought that players would benefit more from just watching a full play through on a computer rather than play the game themselves"

:applause:

if namco was gonna be this stingy i'm sure ALL fans would gladly pay $70 again for a slipcover/steelbook and physical guide, artbook and soundtrack

US version only mentions soudtrack and behind the scenes as downloads

i'll be happy if we get an alternate art slipcover and the game and the strategy guide fit snugly in it

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

[quote name='nieon']if namco was gonna be this stingy i'm sure ALL fans would gladly pay $70 again for a slipcover/steelbook and physical guide, artbook and soundtrack

US version only mentions soudtrack and behind the scenes as downloads

i'll be happy if we get an alternate art slipcover and the game and the strategy guide fit snugly in it

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/[/QUOTE]

its seems that they have dropped all mention of a steelbook or even premium slipcase as seen with demon's souls US release. I imported the UK black edition release by namco bandai it was just packaged in a cheap slip box that was super flimsy and was not a snug fit for everything. It was similar to something seen for nisa premium packages for the ps2. Their ps3 premium packaging has actually been quite nice!

I can't tell from skimming through the thread, seems like some people saying we are definitely losing stuff but others saying that it was implied but not confirmed that some would be cut.

So is this photo on Play Asia just a bullshit image?

darksouls.jpg

Nobody knows for sure what is/isn't going to be included. I'm not even sure if Namco is sure. That pic is just a mock up (if thats the right word for it) not the actual thing.

What we know it includes is the game, a physical hard bound art book, some kind of game guide (either physical or downloadable), a downloadable soundtrack and a downloadable behind the scenes video.

So what isn't clear is what form the guide will be in and if there is a "metal case" of any kind as Amazons description states.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Nobody knows for sure what is/isn't going to be included. I'm not even sure if Namco is sure. That pic is just a mock up (if thats the right word for it) not the actual thing.

What we know it includes is the game, a physical hard bound art book, some kind of game guide (either physical or downloadable), a downloadable soundtrack and a downloadable behind the scenes video.

So what isn't clear is what form the guide will be in and if there is a "metal case" of any kind as Amazons description states.[/QUOTE]

I honestly didn't think anything was really made clear since this was first announced. There appeared to a mixing of the NA and European versions of the game...

What's listed on the official website never matched up with Amazon's description when I ordered.

Either way, I hope we get a metal case, artbook, and guide at the very least. But considering how other companies are charging $20+ more for lesser bonuses, I'm guessing Namco's having second thoughts.

[quote name='giantqtipz']In that case I hope they have a third thought, where they decide to go back to their original thoughts.

Nah mean?[/QUOTE]
I think so..

[quote name='lpfan41k']its seems that they have dropped all mention of a steelbook or even premium slipcase as seen with demon's souls US release. I imported the UK black edition release by namco bandai it was just packaged in a cheap slip box that was super flimsy and was not a snug fit for everything. It was similar to something seen for nisa premium packages for the ps2. Their ps3 premium packaging has actually been quite nice![/QUOTE]

i forgot they took demon's souls to EU. i didn't even notice the slipcover was not mentioned

ughhh why did namco have to hijack the game..

[quote name='mrpeabody']Kinda stupid to put down money when you don't know what you're paying for.[/QUOTE]

Not really, I haven't put ANY money down when I preordered. All I did was secure my place (and the lowest possible price) and I can cancel it at any time.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll wait til official word and then make my decision. Benefits of preordering.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Not really, I haven't put ANY money down when I preordered. All I did was secure my place (and the lowest possible price) and I can cancel it at any time.

I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll wait til official word and then make my decision. Benefits of preordering.[/QUOTE]

+1. You won't get charged till its shipped. Unlike BB. Goddamn BB

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I think I'll cancel my 2 preorders and wait for a drop. Not sure yet. I'll wait until the last minute.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I'm going to play it. I have one for each system on pre-order, so if it's a bunch of worthless, non-collectible digital crap, I will most certainly wait a month for the eventual drop. What a :censored: scam!

Would have gladly paid $80-$100 to get what was thought to be promised initially.

[quote name='wastedyears']So what happened to make people upset and cancel pre-orders?[/QUOTE]

The artbook and soundtrack are digital and they're not getting a steelbook case. :lol:

[quote name='specialist']The artbook and soundtrack are digital and they're not getting a steelbook case. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Its the guide, behind-the-scenes, and soundtrack that are supposedly digital. Artbook is still physical.

[quote name='warpedsoul']Its the guide, behind-the-scenes, and soundtrack that are supposedly digital. Artbook is still physical.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks for filling me in. I don't really care much about the steel case, but I'd much rather have the artbook be in digital format than the guide. Oh, well. That isn't enough to get me to cancel my order, not by a long shot. When I think of all the time I put into Demon's Souls compared to the $60 I paid for it, I'm probably somewhere around $.35 per hour, so I can't complain too much.

its reasons why i although i like namco i just dont LOVE them like i do atlus. i cant think of a single time atlus has screwed us over. matter of fact atlus makes up for their mistakes plenty. perfect example when the demons souls guide had that fading and rubbing issues they replaced them all with better new ones.

[quote name='gauu']its reasons why i although i like namco i just dont LOVE them like i do atlus. i cant think of a single time atlus has screwed us over. matter of fact atlus makes up for their mistakes plenty. perfect example when the demons souls guide had that fading and rubbing issues they replaced them all with better new ones.[/QUOTE]

Partially because they're small. But it does keep me loyal.

[quote name='elessar123']Partially because they're small. But it does keep me loyal.[/QUOTE]

I dont think Atlus has been a small company in a long time

People are forgetting that Atlus is NOT a major company in the west, and they need our support.

If people can propel wii games to the top of Amazon's charts to send a message, we should be sending a message that games like Persona 4 shouldnt have been made for PS2 but for nex gen consoles!

Yes for some its a "bait and switch" but this isnt EA and Battlefield 3. If we dont go out and show our support they wont be back next year...

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']People are forgetting that Atlus is NOT a major company in the west, and they need our support.

If people can propel wii games to the top of Amazon's charts to send a message, we should be sending a message that games like Persona 4 shouldnt have been made for PS2 but for nex gen consoles!

Yes for some its a "bait and switch" but this isnt EA and Battlefield 3. If we dont go out and show our support they wont be back next year...[/QUOTE]

Dude Persona 4 was released in 2008.

[quote name='62t']Dude Persona 4 was released in 2008.[/QUOTE]

An 360 was out in 2005, PS3 and wii in 2006. Why the hell did they release it on a last gen system?

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']An 360 was out in 2005, PS3 and wii in 2006. Why the hell did they release it on a last gen system?[/QUOTE]

Because most people don't own those system in 2008. With so many games not getting USA release there are more important things to complain about than Persona 4. If people want to make a statement there are better things to do. It is also 2011 now so it is time to move on.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']An 360 was out in 2005, PS3 and wii in 2006. Why the hell did they release it on a last gen system?[/QUOTE]

Because it's cheaper? Because that last gen system sold 150 million units? How many PS3's were sold at that time? Because it was likely in development for the PS2 before the PS3 was released?

I'm sorry if that made too much sense

I'll keep my pre-order...for now. I paid with Gamestop credit anyway so it's real easy to get it back. I'll wait to see how cool the artbook is.

I normally wouldn't have any problem buying used but I do want to support Atlus, they make awesome games.

Everyone keeps mentioning Atlus, Am I missing something here? What does Atlus have to do with this particular game? Isn't it developed by From Software (like Demon's Souls) and being published by Namco? Atlus published DS in N.A. but as far as I know has nothing to do with the release of Dark Souls.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Everyone keeps mentioning Atlus, Am I missing something here? What does Atlus have to do with this particular game? Isn't it developed by From Software (like Demon's Souls) and being published by Namco? Atlus published DS in N.A. but as far as I know has nothing to do with the release of Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly the issue.
Atlus published Demon's Souls, but Namco is publishing Dark Souls.
Atlus has a reputation of putting out very niech games, and they seem to treat their customers very well. For that reason we want to support them as much as possible to ensure that treatment and those games keep coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back