Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='havuk']oh is that right? how exactly did you talk to a namco rep? this late ? :roll:[/QUOTE]

sorry I meant AMAZON rep

Went to 2 Wally World's, and no dice. The first one told me that they only received the regular Dark Souls and Rage as far as the new release games, but that he had talked to the other store across town, and they had NBA 2k12 and collector's editions of Dark Souls. Needless to say, I raced across town, and was of course greeted by a surly woman who insisted she said on the phone they didn't have the game at all.:headache:

[quote name='Kanelly']I ordered back in May. My weight is showing at 1.3 lbs. Good sign? Or just a pile of sticky white stuff?[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking good sign mine says 1.4 lbs and it should be here today.

[quote name='urallgyots']I told you fools not to listen to level 1 amazon CS. Well, off to get my free amazon $20 credit because they are incompetent fools :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='urallgyots']a (edit: Amazon) representative just told me that any pre-order made after september 20 wont be CE
^^ I got owned, I never actually pre-ordered it from amazon lol[/QUOTE]

This thread is like a trap for CAGs who refuse to make sense.

[quote name='Kanelly']I ordered back in May. My weight is showing at 1.3 lbs. Good sign? Or just a pile of sticky white stuff?[/QUOTE]

Ummmm....what?

:shock:

[quote name='sgaldis']Went to 2 Wally World's, and no dice. The first one told me that they only received the regular Dark Souls and Rage as far as the new release games, but that he had talked to the other store across town, and they had NBA 2k12 and collector's editions of Dark Souls. Needless to say, I raced across town, and was of course greeted by a surly woman who insisted she said on the phone they didn't have the game at all.:headache:[/QUOTE]

I'm sure gold-toothed Shaquiesha knows exactly what she's talking about. :roll:

I on the other hand walked out of my Wally World with...

darksouls-1.jpg

Well, decided to check the wal mart 20 mins from where I live. No go, while they had the price stickers and spots in cases for them they had none of the games supposed to come out today in stock, even waited 30 minutes for 3 of them to check the back. No dark souls, no rage, nadda

yea that collectors edition is sorely lacking. But my tracking has got my package weight in at .30 pounds, so its safe to say Im getting the regular edition.

I absolutley hate hate hate that there is no shrink wrap over the entire collectors package... not even over the Tin itself. At elast the Oblivion 5th anny had shrink wrap over its steelbook. The scratched up clear slipcover is disgusting to a "collector"

Waiting outside my gamestop for midnight. I had to go in and get a special receipt and saw two stacks of thick dark souls boxes. Safe to say, I'm getting mine!

Course now I'm wondering if it's so hard to find, maybe I should just try to sell it to someone desperate for the tin box and art book.

lol where have u been? ass creed 1 le and ass creed 2 le came the exact same way, and i'm sure there are others. personally, i don't mind, as it pushes the value of ones in better condition further up.

[quote name='
I absolutley hate hate hate that there is no shrink wrap over the entire collectors package... not even over the Tin itself. At elast the Oblivion 5th anny had shrink wrap over its steelbook. The scratched up clear slipcover is disgusting to a "collector"[/QUOTE']

[quote name='TPerryoo7']yea that collectors edition is sorely lacking[/QUOTE]

annnddd it's the same price as a regular edition game. If it were priced 69.99/79.99/etc, then you people have every right to say the CE lacked. It's a FREE upgrade with no additional cost. Why doesn't anybody understand that? lol

[quote name='Kyoz']annnddd it's the same price as a regular edition game. If it were priced 69.99/79.99/etc, then you people have every right to say the CE lacked. It's a FREE upgrade with no additional cost. Why doesn't anybody understand that? lol[/QUOTE]
Yes but this is CAG. You could also take into consideration one hoping this CE of the game was good instead of going into K-mart and getting the game day one with a $20 coupon. I mean I didn't preorder the game, but if I was to preorder this game to get a CE, it better damn well be good if I can get $20 off a future game at K-mart if I get the regular edition.

[quote name='Kyoz']annnddd it's the same price as a regular edition game. If it were priced 69.99/79.99/etc, then you people have every right to say the CE lacked. It's a FREE upgrade with no additional cost. Why doesn't anybody understand that? lol[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I hope more companies go the "Pre-order and get bumped up to the collector's edition for free" route. Bonus stuff, downloadable or not, for no extra cost is awesome.

Because it's a reason for people to bitch about something that's free. This gamer generation...

I will enjoy the free stuff in my CE, thx.

Except that the Demon's Souls CE came with an actual physical guide, an artbook and an actual CD with the soundtrack on it.

I guess companies continue to think that U.S. gamers have 1gb a second internet speeds and prefer to have all of their extras in downloadable format ONLY. I do NOT.

That is why I skipped ordering this at all once I saw how Namco-Bandai neutered this CE from what it once was.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that the Demon's Souls CE came with an actual physical guide, an artbook and an actual CD with the soundtrack on it.

I guess companies continue to think that U.S. gamers have 1gb a second internet speeds and prefer to have all of their extras in downloadable format ONLY. I do NOT.

That is why I skipped ordering this at all once I saw how Namco-Bandai neutered this CE from what it once was.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you something... I bought Demon Souls... I got the artbook and CD... do I have a cd player? yes. will I ever play that CD... no. Where do I play all my music? That's right on a mp3 player... ala my computer, my ipod.

[quote name='judgedee']Let me tell you something... I bought Demon Souls... I got the artbook and CD... do I have a cd player? yes. will I ever play that CD... no. Where do I play all my music? That's right on a mp3 player... ala my computer, my ipod.[/QUOTE]

Yes but in terms of value, you get a CD out of it with being able to rip it to your itunes and such anyway. having a physical guide or physical stuff just beats out any form of digital.

The digital stuff is rather useless to me aswell. Will I ever use the mini strategy guide i have to pull up on my computer? Nope. Whats the point.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that the Demon's Souls CE came with an actual physical guide, an artbook and an actual CD with the soundtrack on it.[/QUOTE]

For $10 more (I believe you could get the artbook and CD with preorders, though).

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Will I ever use the mini strategy guide i have to pull up on my computer? Nope. Whats the point.[/QUOTE]

The Wiki for Demon's Souls was extremely helpful.

One group looks at it as extra free stuff. In that case there aren't any expectations. They are content with the contents. The other group did have expectations, and those expectations have not been met. So they complain. Price in that case is irrelevant. Why doesn't anybody understand that? lol

[quote name='judgedee']Let me tell you something... I bought Demon Souls... I got the artbook and CD... do I have a cd player? yes. will I ever play that CD... no. Where do I play all my music? That's right on a mp3 player... ala my computer, my ipod.[/QUOTE]
Some of us still use CD players and moreover there's more value to having an actual disc as opposed to just a download code imo. To each their own though.
[quote name='salty tbone']For $10 more (I believe you could get the artbook and CD with preorders, though).[/QUOTE]
To me that extra $10 would've been worth it every time if it means I get actual discs and an actual guide as opposed to DLC codes.

I'm going to Gamestop tomorrow morning (didn't preorder the game) and hoping for the best. Like others have said, free stuff is always welcome with a great game.

Right now the banner ad on CAG for me is preparetodie's "pre-order Dark Souls for a free CE upgrade." Keep rubbing it in. :D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']To me that extra $10 would've been worth it every time if it means I get actual discs and an actual guide as opposed to DLC codes.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but it should at least be mentioned when people say Demon's Souls CE was better. And for people who say price is irrelevant, what site is this?

[quote name='folkmojo']Getting it for 39.99 + tax on release day might be a better deal than getting a CE lol

Not for the people who REALLY want the CE...but for some people for sure.[/QUOTE]

I agree. U can use the $20 to buy the guide, which is more useful than the extras in the CE. Now I'm thinking of just selling the CE I'm getting from Amazon and just buying the regular ed at BB with $50 Frys price match.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that the Demon's Souls CE came with an actual physical guide, an artbook and an actual CD with the soundtrack on it.[/QUOTE]Atlus released that... Namco Bandi fucked this CE up.

Neither Rage nor DS has shipped from Amazon... Granted, I'm not a prime member anymore.

[quote name='salty tbone']And for people who say price is irrelevant, what site is this?[/QUOTE]
Of course you're right in that if the game was a million dollars or five dollars, price would be a relevant factor. However within a "normal" range for something like this (say $60 - $90) the price wouldn't have mattered to many people. Say I was getting the same thing as the Demon's Souls CE and Namco set the MSRP anywhere from $60-$90. I would gladly buy it at any price in that range and I suspect many others may have as well.

So people saying "it's free" are missing the point that it's not about the price. It was the expectation of the contents (regardless of price) that made many people complain. I don't care if nobody else agrees with it but I really wish people would at least think about it and understand the different perspectives.

It's a free upgrade. I guess I'm one of those kind of people that is thankful that they offered to do anything at all.

Yes, Demon's Souls got more bonuses, but you had to pay to get those extras. Thus, if this CE was going to have a higher price tag than the regular, we have every reason to complain once the bonuses were changing. I'm not taking away the fact that it sucks that we didn't get a physical guide, but my point is for those who missed it already mentioned over a hundred times in this thread: IT'S A FREE UPGRADE.

Damn, mythus.

"Please wait a little longer to get this video game"

geez customer service, that the best you can do? can't complain myself though, mine shipped several hours ago and will be here tomorrow.

Multiple gamestops in my area didn't receive enough copies of LE, but did have tons of regular. People were pissed at the launch party.

To me, the fact that they came out and said only 2 days before that the content would be digital is shady and shows that they really are LIMITED. Reserved more then they could make. Sad.

[quote name='mythus']Amazon is backordered. Preordered the Collectors Edition on Sept 24th .
Capture232.PNG
[/QUOTE]

I basically used the same conversation and the person was nice enough to give me a 10$ credit. They also said that I should wait until 8pm for the game. According to the CSR they are slowly shipping them. If I don't have it by then contact Amazon.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']It's a free upgrade. I guess I'm one of those kind of people that is thankful that they offered to do anything at all.[/quote]

Valued point... and I can’t/won't argue it but I personally would have preferred to pay extra for a CE/LE from Atlus than be hosed and lied to by Namco Bandi...

I have to agree with Vyse. Free is free, I woulda pre-ordered this at full price regardless of what extras were included.

I love me some icing.

Received this e-mail about an hour ago (order still hasn't moved past Shipping Soon), I ordered back in May
Hello,

We're sorry for the delay in shipping the order you placed on September 21 2011 (Order# XXXXX). We have good news -- the order is now being shipped! You should receive a shipping notification shortly, within the next business day, for the following item(s):

"Dark Souls Collector's Edition"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00542ZR4I

The shipping notification will include an updated estimated delivery date and tracking information if it's available.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.
So yeah, I'll be a little peeved if it doesn't get here within a few days. At least the order wasn't canceled completely.

did you preorder the vanilla version with free ce upgrade or the actual ce version? i preordered the vanilla w/free ce upgrade in may as well but switched it in july when they put a page for the ce. mine shipped yesterday and will be here today so i was wondering why yours got backordered and mine didn't.

[quote name='VVaffle']Received this e-mail about an hour ago (order still hasn't moved past Shipping Soon), I ordered back in May
So yeah, I'll be a little peeved if it doesn't get here within a few days. At least the order wasn't canceled completely.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hamberger']Namco: "Aw man ain't nobody gonna want no rinky-dink collector's edition of this bullshit King's Field spiritual sequel. Just make ten damn copies of the collector's edition; only nerds want that crap."

OCTOBER ARRIVES

Namco: say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat[/QUOTE]

That's some funny shit.

[quote name='technicalstylez']did you preorder the vanilla version with free ce upgrade or the actual ce version? i preordered the vanilla w/free ce upgrade in may as well but switched it in july when they put a page for the ce. mine shipped yesterday and will be here today so i was wondering why yours got backordered and mine didn't.[/QUOTE]Yep, that's pretty much what I did. I was incorrect by saying May (which was the month I ordered the vanilla version); it was actually August 2nd when I canceled my original order and reordered the actual Collectors Edition.

Still, seems a bit strange since a good friend of mine ordered the Collector's Edition on September 21st and his shipped last night with release date delivery. According to him he has the correct ASIN on his order, and confirmed it with a CS rep so I'm not sure what to expect now...

EDIT: Just had a nice chat with a CS rep, and I was told that it should deliver tomorrow still. According to them it had entered the shipping process earlier this morning (on the 3rd), only the site didn't properly reflect that. Very glad to hear that, though I'm still a tad skeptical. Even if it does deliver late, it's not the end of the world.

I wonder how limited this is compared to Demons Souls LE. Seems the only retailers with the limited edition are the likes of amazon, best buy, and gamestop.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Multiple gamestops in my area didn't receive enough copies of LE, but did have tons of regular. People were pissed at the launch party.

To me, the fact that they came out and said only 2 days before that the content would be digital is shady and shows that they really are LIMITED. Reserved more then they could make. Sad.[/QUOTE]

We've known about the contents for months, not 2 days.

Exactly, we've known since June so people have had plenty of time to cancel. Excited to get it in the next 12 hours though I probably wont get around to playing it for a couple of days.

[quote name='thebytewasbit']I wonder how limited this is compared to Demons Souls LE. Seems the only retailers with the limited edition are the likes of amazon, best buy, and gamestop.[/QUOTE]

And Walmart ;)

Soooo.. looks like Newegg fucked over its customers and just canceled all our pre-orders. I didn't even get an email about it, i had to read about it here. Are any retailers out there carrying the CE? I heard Walmart and Gamestop may have some, and maybe BB. I think they did the pre order thing, though dont know if they'll have any today

To anyone confused about the bestbuy situation, the one I work at was very confused because, at our store, the sku's are the same. If any store tells you they have them, they may have 1 or 2 for people that pre-ordered, thats it. Also talked with 3 different amazon reps, even if you have a link to the regular edition, they are guaranteed to upgrade you, so all amazon orders should be a okay.

Spoke with an Amazon rep about an hour ago and got a similar response about being backordered even though it was clearly in stock when I ordered it.

Amazon needs to step up it's game and make more of an effort to pull through on "release date delivery"

I had a paid Amazon Prime subscription (can't ride the .edu train anymore) so I feel like I have a right to bitch and moan.

I think they should have a Release Date Delivery GUARANTEE; where if the game doesn't arrive on the UPS truck on release date that XYZ should happen;

most likely a future credit (even $5 would go a long way) towards your enxt gaming purchase

bread's done
Back