Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
yo im in san jose they did that to me too today- the one on coleman ave, and he said everyone around except mountain view was oos even after i had already preordered. i refreshed the gamestop page for the guide around 8:20pm when i got home from work and it showed the one on King Rd having the guide instock -they didn't show up before-. i called them and the guy said he had just got in a shipment like 5 min before, so i put one on hold and walked out of there at 8:45 with the guide. Chances are there will be some left at the store on king rd so call them at 10 to put one on hold.

annnnd for more fun, if you really wanna blame namco, their hq is in san jose on technology rd over by the airport. im taking my dark souls ce artbook over there in the morning to show how my artbook turned into "post cards" -half the pages fell out.

[quote name='Gamelore']fucking Gamestop.

I reserved the strategy guide at a store 40 minutes away with In-Store-Pickup this morning. After work, I drove the 40 minutes to the Gamestop whereupon the employee couldn't locate my order. He double checked all the cabinets, and then phoned an off-duty employee who told him they sold my copy to someone claiming to be me!!

He said this happened only once in the past 2 years he's worked there. WTF. No condolences, but he said he'd try to get another copy shipped to his store if I call tomorrow...

I see no reason not to blame Namco for all of this.[/QUOTE]

I reserved the strategy guide at a store 40 minutes away with In-Store-Pickup this morning. After work, I drove the 40 minutes to the Gamestop whereupon the employee couldn't locate my order. He double checked all the cabinets, and then phoned an off-duty employee who told him they sold my copy to someone claiming to be me!!

He said this happened only once in the past 2 years he's worked there. WTF. No condolences, but he said he'd try to get another copy shipped to his store if I call tomorrow...

I saw a strategy guide at a GS near me and it showed in stock. One hour later I went to pick it up and the guy said they already sold it in the morning yet the page STILL showed in stock. He told me that the website can take a day to refresh. He was kool and called 2 other GS for me.

I did manage to get a CE at GS after like 15 calls and they were all helpful. Surprisingly none of the 3 GS I went to tried to throw preorders down my throat.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Is Gamestop the only place that sells the guide? I figure I might as well get this game now with trade ins from Best Buy so I can grab a guide while they still sell them. I will be hopefully getting it on Friday.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm that unfortunately Best Buy is not carrying the guide. :whistle2:(

Looks like I'll have to order it off Amazon.

I just checked the store locator and the're 14 stores in stock from 4-20miles away. The store I got mine from today is OOS.

You can try to order off GS site or get it from Amazon UK 12.74pounds = $19.65
It will be released in the UK on Oct. 7.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

[quote name='Bumslie']I just checked the store locator and the're 14 stores in stock from 4-20miles away. The store I got mine from today is OOS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294[/QUOTE]

Good idea, thanks!

Coincidentally, I preordered the Dark Souls Limited Edition from the UK yesterday (launches Friday) after Amazon gave me the run-around with my CE order I placed in May. I guess I'm losing an artbook but gaining a CD, which I prefer anyway. It costs the same after shipping because the USD is high against the GBP right now.

Epic fail when the UK has to supply the US with its release. Hilarious if I receive it from the UK before the US, when the US HQ is just down the street. :)

the uk le comes with an identical artbook (albeit with better binding and is in horizontal format insead of vertical) and it includes ost cd and behind the scenes dvd. instead it is missing the metal tin, it instead comes in a cardboard slipcover box.

[quote name='Gamelore']Good idea, thanks!

Coincidentally, I preordered the Dark Souls Limited Edition from the UK yesterday (launches Friday) after Amazon gave me the run-around with my CE order I placed in May. I guess I'm losing an artbook but gaining a CD, which I prefer anyway. It costs the same after shipping because the USD is high against the GBP right now.

Epic fail when the UK has to supply the US with its release. Hilarious if I receive it from the UK before I receive it from Amazon. :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']I'll take that $20 GC any day over the cheap, junky CE that Namco released. Had Atlus released the CE, it would have been a whole different story; but Namco really screwed everyone on this one. Don't feel that you missed anything, because from everything I've heard, you haven't.

And if you need a good guide, pick up the Future Press hardcover guide and you're all set; its fantastic.[/QUOTE]

do you even know what the demon souls CE consisted of? it had the game, miniature strategy guide and soundtrack all in a cardoard slipcover/box. dark souls might not be the nicest ce but atleast its more than a few dlc and cost the same as the standard edition. the only ones bitching are those that missed the boat.. IMO

wow this thread grew a good bit will probably try and read it
damn you amazon.ca free shipping
Shipping Soon
Shipping Estimate: Oct 7 2011
Delivery Estimate: Oct 12 2011 - Oct 13 2011
probably will show up before the 12th but still..... ah well.

[quote name='GBAstar']I called one of my local Gamestop's and made up a story about being an idiot and ordering Dark Souls CE from Amazon (the employees at this gamestop get all butthurt and take it personally if you don't preorder through them) and receiving it severely damaged as I told them it was shipped in a bubble mailer instead of a box...

To my surprise the GS employee asked me if I had opened it.

I lied again and said no (as I never even ordered one through Amazon) and he said that although he didn't have any copies for sale he might be able to exchange my damaged copy for one they had reserved for someone else...

Obviously I told him not to worry about it because I didn't have a damaged copy to exchange but I wasn't sure if that was awesome of him or really crappy.[/QUOTE]
This is a big reason i boycott GS. They give non preorder people the preorder stuff like it is not a big deal. Then the people that paid already gets shafted. It is not your fault but nice case and point noted. I would stay away from that location for preorder pickup in the future. :)

I got the CE and reordered the CE late sept. I know how amazon works and they lie and there system is broken. Never leave it up to them to update stuff like preorder dlc or upgrade to LE or CE. There system is flawed hardcore and some people do get upgrades but bigger chance there is a goof if you do not do it yourself. Lesson learned long long ago.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']This is a big reason i boycott GS. They give non preorder people the preorder stuff like it is not a big deal. Then the people that paid already gets shafted.[/QUOTE]

One nearby store does that from time to time. I remember when LittleBigPlanet was released, I went to that location since I couldn't find it anywhere. They had 1 copy left and the manager said it was reserved since someone preordered it. I was like, "Aww, really? I drove all the way out here..." She was like, "Well...okay" and I got it.:applause: The manager completely screwed whoever preordered it and they now had to wait for next shipment.

So who was the latest to preorder dark souls and get the CE? I ordered on the 23rd of September and it arrived today. The case had a small dent on the bottom and the artbook felt a little flimsy and smelled like a shoebox. Other than that it was ok.

[quote name='Bumslie']I just checked the store locator and the're 14 stores in stock from 4-20miles away. The store I got mine from today is OOS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294[/QUOTE]

With shipping it comes to £19.72 ($30.39). I noticed that amazon.com has it available for preorder again for $24.99. Do you think it is worth it for those that got the CE with the digital mini guide? I expect to receive my CE from amazon today.

[quote name='elevendy']So who was the latest to preorder dark souls and get the CE? I ordered on the 23rd of September and it arrived today. The case had a small dent on the bottom and the artbook felt a little flimsy and smelled like a shoebox. Other than that it was ok.[/QUOTE]

i ordered mine when the offer first came out (april/may?). Anyway my case looks like someone put it a vice grip and took a sledgehammer to it. Inside seems ok!!

I wonder how fun the game is with the guide.

A lot of the fun from Demon's Souls was discovering things on your own and researching online the secrets, character builds, boss strategies, game exploits etc. I never liked using guides, but I can see the value for Dark Souls in that everything is purposefully obtuse and sort of arbitrary at times.

I'm having fun just going through the game, but have needed to turn to wiki's and forum posts for when I get stuck or need clarification.

[quote name='technicalstylez']the uk le comes with an identical artbook (albeit with better binding and is in horizontal format insead of vertical) and it includes ost cd and behind the scenes dvd. instead it is missing the metal tin, it instead comes in a cardboard slipcover box.[/QUOTE]

Wonder if the dvd is region locked? I preordered the UK Assassin's Creed Revelations CE with artbook, soundtrack cd and movie on disc. I'm concerened that the animated movie will be on a disc I can't use and should just go with the Signature Edition from GS.

Question re the Dark Souls UK Version (PS3). Are the servers global for this game (so that if I buy the UK CE, I'll still be able to play with people in the US)? Or will they be divided into regions like the Demon's Souls release?

[quote name='ob1ob']Wonder if the dvd is region locked? I preordered the UK Assassin's Creed Revelations CE with artbook, soundtrack cd and movie on disc. I'm concerened that the animated movie will be on a disc I can't use and should just go with the Signature Edition from GS.[/QUOTE]
I don't know if talking about this is illegal or not on CAG, but most DVD players have a way to 'unlock' them without opening the case to modify any internal components.

Just Google your respective DVD player and you should be able to find the way to unlock yours pretty easily.

Once unlocked you can then play DVD's from ANY region in there.;)

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I wonder how fun the game is with the guide.

A lot of the fun from Demon's Souls was discovering things on your own and researching online the secrets, character builds, boss strategies, game exploits etc. I never liked using guides, but I can see the value for Dark Souls in that everything is purposefully obtuse and sort of arbitrary at times.

I'm having fun just going through the game, but have needed to turn to wiki's and forum posts for when I get stuck or need clarification.[/QUOTE]

For me I am just reading info on the basics just to see their take on it. Saving the thorough readings for NG+ and beyond. Its far more enjoyable just going in blind.

I used the wiki for DS and it ended up being one of my favorite games ever, but going blind has made DkS much more enjoyable

[quote name='cdul'] So I call Customer Service and apparently it was canceled, but the dude couldn't tell me who canceled it, when it was canceled, how it was canceled, why it was canceled, etc. Pretty lame.

He promised to find a copy of the CE for me, but I'm very doubtful that I'll be getting one from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you have my sympathies. That sucks BALLS.

Here's my suggestion, and what have you got to lose? Call Amazon back, try asking for the same rep who helped you last time, just so you don't have to repeat everything. Suggest that they can find a copy of the CE for you... on Amazon. Ask them to keep your money, buy up one of the $100+ Marketplace copies, and have it sent to you at no additional charge. That's fair. It's their screw-up, they should swallow the difference in cost. Worst case scenario, he says no even when presented with a valid solution, and you'll know he was lying.

Post and let us know what happens?

[quote name='Vap']This is fucked up! How the hell does someone order it on sept 22nd and get a CE version yet I ordered on may 17th and it hasn't even shipped yet? On top of that they fucking charged me 3days ago. fucking bullshit...[/QUOTE]

Did you choose the free "super saver" shipping option? If so they send orders with standard shipping, 2-day and Prime from the warehouse first. I took free shipping at first myself, but they assure me (and we'll see) that I'm getting the CE because I ordered back in May. I upgraded to standard a couple of days ago just so I could see this whole debacle resolved a few days sooner.

They specifically said in chat that CE requests are filled based on order date, earliest pre-orders first. So if somebody ordered on 9/22 and got one, you definitely should as well. Just they chose a faster and more expensive shipping method, so theirs goes out first. They charge you when the package "enters the shipping process" (basically when it gets sent from the warehouse to their shipping department), not when it actually ships.

I ordered in June when DS was told get a free upgrade, but then saw the collectors edition in my Gold Box. I knew then that I should just order that instead of hoping for a free upgrade. I figured making another item page was easier for AMZ than shuffling between orders.

Ho. Ly. Crap.

Got a message from Amazon last night. Package was shipped late yesterday, expected delivery date is TODAY. 5AM this morning it was in the UPS distribution facility in the next city over. Probably being loaded on the truck for delivery right now.

If I don't post again, it means I've got my copy, am happy with it, and am too busy playing the game. If anything goes wrong, oh you'd better believe I'll rage about it here.

Fingers crossed. 'Cept when I'm typin'.

Apologies if this has been covered but I don't monitor the thread that much and I did skim the OP and couldn't find an answer. Has anyone gotten the $5 gift card for preordering Dark Souls and trading in a game between Sept 22 and Oct 3 yet?

Put me down for yet another victim of the "Best Buy Didn't get the CE Edition". Now I have a few more days to decide whether I get the regular edition of the game now with a $20 GC, try my luck at finding a CE, or just wait for a price-drop.

I ended up calling newegg and complaining about what happen. They ended up giving me 30 dollars towards a new game instead of 20. Good luck everyone!

[quote name='Miro']Apologies if this has been covered but I don't monitor the thread that much and I did skim the OP and couldn't find an answer. Has anyone gotten the $5 gift card for preordering Dark Souls and trading in a game between Sept 22 and Oct 3 yet?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I will contact them tomorrow if it doesn't come today since they usually have 48 hours listed to receive bonuses.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']Nope, I will contact them tomorrow if it doesn't come today since they usually have 48 hours listed to receive bonuses.[/QUOTE]

Please allow up to five business days from receipt and acceptance by our processor for the gift card to be loaded into the qualifying account.

[quote name='woodcan']Put me down for yet another victim of the "Best Buy Didn't get the CE Edition". Now I have a few more days to decide whether I get the regular edition of the game now with a $20 GC, try my luck at finding a CE, or just wait for a price-drop.[/QUOTE]

If you have a Fry's near you, price match to 49.96, then get the $20 GC on top of it. That's what I did last night.

Best Buy also currently has a promotion going on for a $10 GC with the purchase of Dark Souls. The guy who rang me up was willing to give it a try and stack that on top of everything, but said the system wouldn't let him since he was already giving me a price match.. or something along those lines. I didn't really try to argue for it, but maybe you'll have better luck if you try.

It's a shame that this BB never seems to have their shit together. My pre-orders are never pulled. It took me 2 weeks to get my pre-order code on Resistance 3. It's always just an ordeal to get any of my pre-orders most the time and always ends up in at least an hour visit. The people there, especially the gamer guys are pretty awesome though, and it seems like they are starting to recognize me since I have been going in there so much lately. One of them walked me up to CS last night and made sure they got everything right. When price-matching, they just look it up online to verify and that's it. They don't sit there and call up the stores or give me issues as if they own stock in BB and don't want to give me a discount.

This whole search for the CE made me see a little of what people complain about with Gamestop though. I never really had to call them up, but damn some of them have some snooty attitudes over the phone.

[quote name='Miro']Apologies if this has been covered but I don't monitor the thread that much and I did skim the OP and couldn't find an answer. Has anyone gotten the $5 gift card for preordering Dark Souls and trading in a game between Sept 22 and Oct 3 yet?[/QUOTE]

Have you already shipped your games to them? You don't get the credit until they receive and verify them.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Its a tin, not a steelbook and not everyone is anal about something that sits on their shelf lol[/QUOTE]

This thread has shown me that many people are incredibly anal about such little non-factors. As if they have game collecting OCD.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Please allow up to five business days from receipt and acceptance by our processor for the gift card to be loaded into the qualifying account.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info

[quote name='MoxManiac_']Have you already shipped your games to them? You don't get the credit until they receive and verify them.[/QUOTE]

I submitted my games and got the normal gift card, but not the $5 bonus yet.

[quote name='Beatofficer']This thread has shown me that many people are incredibly anal about such little non-factors. As if they have game collecting OCD.[/QUOTE]

You know what's really anal?

Anuses.

Saints Row.
The 1st Gears of War.
and Similar to the Halo 3 Tin as well.

I have always hated those tins, but at least Saints Row and Dark Souls included the game in a case instead of basically free floating

[quote name='guardian_owl']Judging from the unboxing videos on youtube I think it's the same kind of tin that Saint's Row 2 collector's edition came in.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I don't know if talking about this is illegal or not on CAG, but most DVD players have a way to 'unlock' them without opening the case to modify any internal components.

Just Google your respective DVD player and you should be able to find the way to unlock yours pretty easily.

Once unlocked you can then play DVD's from ANY region in there.;)[/QUOTE]

Lol, modifying something you own is illegal.

Get the fuck out.

So I got the 2 CEs from amazon and they came a bit dinged up. Not too much but for these type of things, I want it to be flawless. I told CS about it and they offered $30. It's alright but it seems people are getting $30 for 1 CE being messed up. Feeling a bit jipped with only 30 back.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']So I got the 2 CEs from amazon and they came a bit dinged up. Not too much but for these type of things, I want it to be flawless. I told CS about it and they offered $30. It's alright but it seems people are getting $30 for 1 CE being messed up. Feeling a bit jipped with only 30 back.[/QUOTE]

hmmm....mine arrived a bit dinged up too. i should contact them too

im just happy that i got a ce though. the case is so nice!

[quote name='blackwaltz34']hmmm....mine arrived a bit dinged up too. i should contact them too[/QUOTE]

Did they ship yours in a cardboard box or the flimsy bubble envelope?

bread's done
Back