Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='Rosterking']Black leather everything and thief everything.[/QUOTE]

Gimp-300.jpg

[quote name='guardian_owl']Ya, the worms are really annoying. Thankfully the only one you really have to kill is the one guarding the bonfire. The path off to the left you are mentioning with the worms and the respawning taurus demons dead ends with a chest holding another ember. I just ended up doing a suicide run to grab the ember as I have no luck killing those worms without breaking my equipment.

The tunnel which leads to the shortcut is like 50 feet ahead and then to the right if you ignore that path to the left. You have placed the Lordsvessel right? You can't access the boss fog gate or the shortcut tunnel if you haven't placed the Lordsvessel.

After you kill the boss (its a repeat of the Asylum Demon), make sure to head up the stairs before going down to unlock a shortcut to the Daughter of Chaos Bonfire. After a short area with stairs and weak enemies you will be at another boss. Beyond that boss is the area with the dinosaurs. Side note, if you tend to carry a lot of souls try very hard not to die on the lava as it is very difficult to locate your bloodstain on the very bright, orange lava.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks - I'll grab that ember tonight. I saw a note to that effect but more often than not the notes are BS so I wasn't sure. I can take care of them pretty easily with pyro, but the problem is I end up using most of that on the two Taurus demons on my way over there. Maybe I can try to melee them and save my pyro for the worms. I assume there is more than 1 over there?

And yeah, I placed the Lordvessel a while back (I've been all through Duke's Archive and killed Seath which you can't do until you place it either).

I also saw people talking about a "Charred Ring" or something? Where do you get that? When I got the ember in the lava I equipped all my best fire gear, cast flash sweat, and still almost died on the short trip out and back to the ember. If I have more lava to cross I think I'll need something else.

[quote name='Rosterking']How do you increase your durability in dark souls? I remember you could in Demon's Soul.[/QUOTE]
What do you mean by durability? HP? Vitality increases your HP.

[quote name='io']I also saw people talking about a "Charred Ring" or something? Where do you get that? When I got the ember in the lava I equipped all my best fire gear, cast flash sweat, and still almost died on the short trip out and back to the ember. If I have more lava to cross I think I'll need something else.[/QUOTE]
The boss after Asylum Demon-redux drops the charred ring either when you kill it or you hack off one of its limbs. With that ring on you take only a sliver of damage for each second you are standing on lava. I recommend shooting for cutting off one of the boss' limbs as fast as possible then homeward boneing out so you can put it on. Being able to chase it out into the lava field makes the fight much easier.

Those worms aren't too bad. I killed the first one or two that pops up, and then you get to that part where two pop up in front of you and two behind you. I ran past all of them, got the ember/treasure and took them out from the back. They don't even turn around or do anything, so I just kept slashing and they died.

Does anyone want to help me multiply Dragon Scales? I read that you don't lose any of the Dragon Scales that you have, but if you do the Path of the Dragon with the Dragon Eye, you get scales from the person you kill, but they don't actually lose anything (other than humanity). I figure if we take turns killing each other, we'll be able to get enough scales for the both of us in no time...

[quote name='Rosterking']How do you increase your durability in dark souls? I remember you could in Demon's Soul.[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about weapon durability?

Haha, I started another character and got invaded in the Undead Burg at level 8. I guess he felt like a bad ass with all his over powered equipment because he let me back stab him and then hacked away with his lightning claymore. I didn't mind though, I'm purposely staying human (unless I get invaded and killed, then I'll just keep playing as Hollow so I don't waste my Humanity) to get invaded every now and then.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Haha, I started another character and got invaded in the Undead Burg at level 8. I guess he felt like a bad ass with all his over powered equipment because he let me back stab him and then hacked away with his lightning claymore. I didn't mind though, I'm purposely staying human (unless I get invaded and killed, then I'll just keep playing as Hollow so I don't waste my Humanity) to get invaded every now and then.[/QUOTE]
Wait, I thought you could only get invaded by someone that's a lower level than you OR a few levels higher than you. What level did the guy look like he was on?

[quote name='Assasin']Wait, I thought you could only get invaded by someone that's a lower level than you OR a few levels higher than you. What level did the guy look like he was on?[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but there's no level requirement to armor and some gear besides getting the necessary stats.

^ Yeah, I thought one of the good things they did with the patch (to balance out some of the bad stuff) was to fix high level people invading lower level ones. Apparently not? Or it is even worse!?

[quote name='jh6269']Those worms aren't too bad. I killed the first one or two that pops up, and then you get to that part where two pop up in front of you and two behind you. I ran past all of them, got the ember/treasure and took them out from the back. They don't even turn around or do anything, so I just kept slashing and they died.[/QUOTE]

Crap, there's taht many of them!? I kept getting my stuff broke by the first one. Another way to deal with them is poison arrows. That's how I took the one out by the bonfire, anyway. If the others are the same I can do that - though it is somewhat boring (waiting for them to die).

[quote name='Assasin']Are you talking about weapon durability?[/QUOTE]

If he is, then it really isn't an issue except for 2 places that I have seen. The first are those walking clam things (at Ash Lake and presumably the ones in the Crystal Cave as well though I didn't let those ones get me). If they get a hold of you and chomp on you they break your stuff. I had my pyro flame borken because of that (and I didn't even have it active - was in my other equip slot though). I was freaked out because I thought in Demon's Souls when that happened you lost the item. Is that not the case? In this game, anyway, you just need to go repair it - not a big deal unless you are trying to get through somewhere like the worms. Oh yeah, and these worms in the Demon's Ruins are the only other place I've had it come into play.

I guess really early on in the game I had some issues with weapon durability. I remember getting the warning just after fighting tons of undead. So one of the first things you should do is save up 3000 souls I think it is and get the repair box from that first merchant in Undead Burg. Then you can fix your stuff yourself every time you are at a bonfire - at that point it is never an issue unless you are fighting these insta-break monsters which come much later in the game.

[quote name='io']^ Yeah, I thought one of the good things they did with the patch (to balance out some of the bad stuff) was to fix high level people invading lower level ones. Apparently not? Or it is even worse!?[/QUOTE]
Read what he's saying: twinking a character is probably the easiest thing to do in this game since gear isn't level dependent outside of stat allocation. You can beat the game without ever leveling if you have the skill, so all people have to do is farm for the gear and then they can terrorize newbies all day long. I used to do this in WoW years ago and it makes you godlike since you have the obvious advantage of gear.

What Jodou said - griefers are just playing through at a low level to get good gear and terrozize newbies (which doesn't sound like much fun to me....). And I don't think there ever was a problem with high level people invading lower level ones, except the way they meant it to happen, which is still applicable.

It works like this: Darkwraiths (red stone) only invade people at their level or higher. Darkmoon blades (blue stone) can invade anyone with sin, even lower level people (to punish them for their sin), but I think it's only sin from indictments or killing Gwyndolin, not sin from breaking covenants or killing NPCs. Forest hunters also have no level restriction - they're there to protect the forest. But obviously that only applies in the forest, so it's easy to avoid. Not sure about Gravelords, though.

Maybe try equipping all your projectile fire magic like great fire ball and your 2 fire orbs and fire surge (if you have it), that should be enough to clear a path back out after grabbing the ember.

The other place weapon durability comes into play is during the Gaping Dragon boss fight, it fires a liquid which corrodes stuff really quickly when it is in like the last 25% of its health. All items can be repaired when broken except crystal weapons, those shatter when broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had my pyro hand broken by the chaos monsters in Lost Izalith, who spew acid sometimes. That thing breaks so easily (from acid spewers, not from normal use), and your pyro magic doesn't do shit for damage if the hand is broken.

Oh, I forgot to mention - got my platinum last night! My game time is at 125 hours or something I think, but that includes so much time co-oping, PvP, leaving it on while I eat, poop, have sex, etc that it doesn't really mean anything.

I'm considering trying a no-level run (don't ever raise soul level) just to have a new challenge and make the game fun again. Really, once you get to NG+ and beyond and you know where everything is, the game is pretty easy (assuming you're using nice weapons and armor). So this would recapture the "I'm about to die and this is tough and takes skill" feeling, though there's no way to recapture the "oh shit where am I? Creep around slowly with shield in front of your face at all times" feeling.

Forgot about the chaos eaters, probably because they turn so slowly it is easy to circle strafe. Walking on lava also damages your equipment fairly quickly even while wearing the ring.

If you are a sword and boarder you could try a no shield run. I never did a no level up run in Demon Souls as I figured it would get rather tedious having to hit enemies so many times to kill them.

[quote name='Jodou']Read what he's saying: twinking a character is probably the easiest thing to do in this game since gear isn't level dependent outside of stat allocation. You can beat the game without ever leveling if you have the skill, so all people have to do is farm for the gear and then they can terrorize newbies all day long. I used to do this in WoW years ago and it makes you godlike since you have the obvious advantage of gear.[/QUOTE]

I was responding to Assassin who was mentioning the level issue. This scenario just never occured to me. I figured getting good gear meant leveling up but I guess in this game it doesn't work that way. Though as you say, you do have to level up some amount to equip the better stuff. And if you go in without much vit or end you might get beaten too. In any case, it would be tough for me to go through all the bosses getting all those souls and such and never using them. Those people much carry around huge soul balances if they don't level up! It seems the people who invaded me were using super-awesome gear that requires huge stats (those enormous hammers and swords and such that I have never even tried to equip because they need like 50 strength). So I figured they were way higher level than me. They also seemed to have infinite health compared to me. But this was all early on - haven't dealt with that much recently.

Also, I think I've been spending enough time playing this game - I couldn't see doing such things just to grief people (after presumably playing it through a few times to get to know everything well and be able to get the high level stuff without leveling up). I mean, what, are these people playing for 300-400 hours or more? I want to get this game out of the way so I can play Skyrim.

[quote name='io']I want to get this game out of the way so I can play Skyrim.[/QUOTE]
As much as I love Skyrim, take your time. Bethesda completely broke the game with 1.2 and it would really sour your playthrough. They fixed nothing and glitched resistances so dragon's breath can one-shot you, if they ever land because their pathing is totally fucked. Just don't be in a rush right now because I'm seriously thinking about not even finishing the game at this point I'm so pissed.

Wow, you mean it was working better before and a patch screwed it up? That's got to be fixed soon though I would hope. Anyway, I actually have been too busy with work (which is good as I was out of work for about 4 months there) and household stuff (our washing machine started smoking yesterday!) that I haven't played any games since I put in an hour on Dark Souls 3 nights ago. Hopefully I can get back into it a little refreshed tomorrow or Saturday night.

At this point I really just have to get the platinum. And then I really should go back to Demon's Souls and finish that up too (as I said before, I'm all done with that except I just need to play through Worlds 3 and 5 for the end boss souls for the last two spells).

[quote name='io']Wow, you mean it was working better before and a patch screwed it up? That's got to be fixed soon though I would hope. Anyway, I actually have been too busy with work (which is good as I was out of work for about 4 months there) and household stuff (our washing machine started smoking yesterday!) that I haven't played any games since I put in an hour on Dark Souls 3 nights ago. Hopefully I can get back into it a little refreshed tomorrow or Saturday night.[/QUOTE]
Yeah mate, OF ALL THINGS it was working great until they patched it rofl.

And just get your washing machine some nicorette gum; easy fix. :lol:

Heh...

Well, I did manage to get an hour in on Dark Souls last night. I kindled up the bonfire where the worm was in Demon Ruins. Then I went in human form to the shortcut looking for Solaire. I didn't see him anywhere. I got the sunlight maggot, ventured for a bit into Lost Izaleth, and then backed up to the Firesage Demon door. Much to my surprise there were no summon signs anywhere nor did I get invaded. I decided to just take him on myself and after a few tries I hot him. I simply wasn't being all that careful the first few times and didn't stay behind him. This form was definitely easier than the 2 previous ones though.

So then I pressed on and found the elevator back to Quelaag's Domain. A question though - is there really no use for the obvious looking shortcut area by the Chaos Covenant stuff? I mean the long hallway ending in a wall down there? I thought for sure that would open up - in fact I thought that's where the elevator would be after Firesage Demon. But it makes sense it is the round plate (with button) just outside the chaos covenant as that had no use before either. So does that other wall ever open up or what?

About half way down the hall there is a comment on the side with like 20 positive reviews that says "try attacking" like there is a hidden path or something. But I get nothing when I try that.

In any case, then I went back in and got to the second bonfire (outside the Centipede Demon I guess). Here's where it got strange. I guess this is where you can summon Solaire for that fight (though I didn't go down to see if his sign was there). I reverse hollowed and kindled up that bonfire as well, and then as soon as I stood up from the bonfire, my bonfire went out and I could not rest again. I was done for the night anyway (hell, it was 5am) so I quit the game. But then I wanted to see if I could see Solaire's sign so I reloaded. Almost immediately after my game started the same thing happened.

There is a form of invasion where you don't get an announcement about it, right? Because I certainly got no warning. In any case, I was tired and didn't want to deal with that crap plus I wanted to save my human form and not have to waste another humanity so I just quit. But before turning off the PS3 I checked my "Players Met" list and sure enough I had a player met via Dark Souls on there at the time this all happened.

So I guess some griefer was just sitting in that little area between Firesage and Centipede because he knew people would reverse hollow for Solaire. The little rat bastard. The reason I say that is that I spent 45 minutes or so in human form just before Firesage and didn't get invaded once. But the very second I stand up after reviving by the Centipede Demon door I get invaded. I mean the fire literally went out while my character was standing up!

So I guess tonight if I play I'll disconnect the Internet and try to summon Solaire who hopefully is there. If he's not I guess I'll have to talk with him by the Sunlight Altar again (though I know I did that already).

So I killed the armor boar and got the Drake Sword. Where can I farm some souls while I try to rank up str to 16 (13 atm), I'm at level 23 and it cost 3000+ to rank up.

[quote name='Rosterking']So I killed the armor boar and got the Drake Sword. Where can I farm some souls while I try to rank up str to 16 (13 atm), I'm at level 23 and it cost 3000+ to rank up.[/QUOTE]

Where you are one of the easiest places to farm them is to let the dragon kill the guys on the bridge and then rinse/repeat. So you go down to the bonfire down the ladder from where you shot the dragon's tail. That is the old bonfire near the beginning but you unlock a shortcut to it by kicking down the ladder from above.

Then run up the stairs, take a few steps onto the bridge in front of the undead soldiers up there. Then high tail it back down the stairs and let the dragon roast them as you are heading back down to the bonfire to rest and repeat. You don't get a ton of souls this way, but you should be able to get a few levels without too much effort.

You could also just make multiple passes through the boar area and kill those guys over and over - maybe try to make it to the bonfire where the blacksmith is first (past the boar section and to the right across a long bridge). That is where you will want to base your attacks on the Bell Gargoyles (and the armored guy in the church). So, yeah, don't head into that church on the left when you get to the area with 2 soldiers and 1 archer. You will have to fight a few pretty tough knight types on your way there too - be careful of them at your level. And definitely do not take the front entrance to the church (by where the gate is). There are 3 tough guys in the entrance there.

At the level I'm at now it takes 60,000 souls to level up. Killing a boss (Firesage Demon) only got me enough for half a level. I barely remember the days of only needing 3000 ;).

[quote name='shinn']this game is a monster hunter killer. go buy this thing if you wanna have a new reason to live!![/QUOTE]

I've never played Monster Hunter but I was wondering if there were any similarities. It seems like maybe the boss fights, if anything, have some things in common.

[quote name='io']I've never played Monster Hunter but I was wondering if there were any similarities. It seems like maybe the boss fights, if anything, have some things in common.[/QUOTE]
I personally think Monster Hunter is a better game in General, a lot of technique and upgrades that you could easily get lost in. I love how they implement multiplayer in MH. I've played monster hunter since Monster Hunter Freedom. (MHF, MHF2, MHFU, MH Tri and easily put over 500 Hrs into all together) Just waiting til they bring out MHP3rd HD to the states and my life will be consumed by it all over again.

[quote name='io']I've never played Monster Hunter but I was wondering if there were any similarities. It seems like maybe the boss fights, if anything, have some things in common.[/QUOTE]
Well In a nutshell, these games are similar. There is however, no lock on. You can craft your own weapons by simply killing monsters and carving from their hide and get items from them in which you take to the village (Central Hub) and ask the old man to make you a weapon, the catch is that you need specific items for the weapon which you can keep upgrading. You roll and such, and there are some big ass monsters in there as well, the biggest being the Lao Shun Lung.

[quote name='io']
So then I pressed on and found the elevator back to Quelaag's Domain. A question though - is there really no use for the obvious looking shortcut area by the Chaos Covenant stuff? I mean the long hallway ending in a wall down there? I thought for sure that would open up - in fact I thought that's where the elevator would be after Firesage Demon. But it makes sense it is the round plate (with button) just outside the chaos covenant as that had no use before either. So does that other wall ever open up or what?

About half way down the hall there is a comment on the side with like 20 positive reviews that says "try attacking" like there is a hidden path or something. But I get nothing when I try that.

There is a form of invasion where you don't get an announcement about it, right? Because I certainly got no warning. In any case, I was tired and didn't want to deal with that crap plus I wanted to save my human form and not have to waste another humanity so I just quit. But before turning off the PS3 I checked my "Players Met" list and sure enough I had a player met via Dark Souls on there at the time this all happened.

[/QUOTE]

That door never opens, but if you have beat Kirk in all 3 invasion places then his armor will appear there. Also, there seems to be a bug where the rating that shows up for a message is the total number of ratings, rather than positive minus negative, so people were probably rating it down. Try rating down a message and notice that the number goes up. :(

The only invasion that doesn't warn you is Darkmoon Blades in dark Anor Londo. When you get invaded anywhere, though, it sets bonfires and other items like white soapstone to unusable and puts up the fog walls immediately. You only get the notice once the phantom actually spawns in your world, which can take several seconds.

I wouldn't necessarily go offline for that fight, because there's often helper phantom signs near the bonfire there. Also, dark phantoms spawn right before the boss door, so you can easily stay at the top and force them to try to run up the root to you while you summon helpers (which would be suicide for them).

[quote name='Backlash']That door never opens, but if you have beat Kirk in all 3 invasion places then his armor will appear there. Also, there seems to be a bug where the rating that shows up for a message is the total number of ratings, rather than positive minus negative, so people were probably rating it down. Try rating down a message and notice that the number goes up. :(

The only invasion that doesn't warn you is Darkmoon Blades in dark Anor Londo. When you get invaded anywhere, though, it sets bonfires and other items like white soapstone to unusable and puts up the fog walls immediately. You only get the notice once the phantom actually spawns in your world, which can take several seconds.

I wouldn't necessarily go offline for that fight, because there's often helper phantom signs near the bonfire there. Also, dark phantoms spawn right before the boss door, so you can easily stay at the top and force them to try to run up the root to you while you summon helpers (which would be suicide for them).[/QUOTE]

That's mighty annoying (the door not opening).

As for the invasion, yeah, I suppose I probably just quit before it actually connected. I did not see any summon signs up by the bonfire so summoning for help was not an option. I just want to get Solaire in there to progress his story and then move on - not really looking for other help anyway. But maybe I'll give it a shot online tonight. There might be more people playing then, especially if I start a bit earlier (was playing from 3:30 - 5am Pacific last night).

That happened to me in the painted world, my bonfire went out about a minute or so before they actually broke into my game. Probably what happened is someone is using the darkmoon blue orb in that area to try and invade and as soon as you unhollow it locks onto you for invasion.

I just assumed that was a hallway ending in a wall in the Daughter of Chaos chamber, didn't look much like a door to me. I am trying to think what the other side of that wall would be, it wouldn't be the Demon Ruins as you go down quite a bit before you enter that area, then down even father before you enter the area with the Firesage. Valley of the Drakes would probably be in that direction, but is much higher then where that tunnel would go. You can see the upper Demon Ruins in the distance in the Tomb of the Giants, so maybe it would have plugged into Tomb of the Giants or the Catacombs?

It sure would be interesting to fly around in NOCLIP mode to see how all the various areas intertwine. For instance, when walking back toward New Londo in the Valley of the Drakes I can see a bridge way high up in the sky, I think that is the bridge you fight the Taurus Demon on in the Undead Burg, but I can't be sure. Or how Ash lake fits into the geography of Blightown, I still can't figure that one out.

[quote name='guardian_owl']

I just assumed that was a hallway ending in a wall in the Daughter of Chaos chamber, didn't look much like a door to me. I am trying to think what the other side of that wall would be, it wouldn't be the Demon Ruins as you go down quite a bit before you enter that area, then down even father before you enter the area with the Firesage. Valley of the Drakes would probably be in that direction, but is much higher then where that tunnel would go. You can see the upper Demon Ruins in the distance in the Tomb of the Giants, so maybe it would have plugged into Tomb of the Giants or the Catacombs?
[/QUOTE]

It does just look like a wall, but what is the point of that hallway? It serves no purpose unless that wall was meant to open up at some point. Yeah, I suppose it would seem more like a path you can open later if it had a locked door or looked like the Chaos Covenant shortcut wall (a big decorated thing). It is just a plain wall that seems out of place with the rest of the decor in there. It is very strange and you wonder if they meant to put something there originally but just closed it off instead.

haha, so earlier today I was playing and heard a bell ring. I was like "What!! Is something going to attack me" Well I just remembered that each time you hear it, they rung the bell. I love accomplishments. :D

[quote name='io']It does just look like a wall, but what is the point of that hallway? It serves no purpose unless that wall was meant to open up at some point. Yeah, I suppose it would seem more like a path you can open later if it had a locked door or looked like the Chaos Covenant shortcut wall (a big decorated thing). It is just a plain wall that seems out of place with the rest of the decor in there. It is very strange and you wonder if they meant to put something there originally but just closed it off instead.[/QUOTE]

I think someone already said, a set of armor appears there later.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I think someone already said, a set of armor appears there later.[/QUOTE]

Right, but that's a weird setup just for some armor. I went back there tonight - there are actually stairs leading up to the "wall" and the wall is an arch that is filled in. So it definitely looks like something that would open up later.

Anyways, now I have a problem with Siegmeyer. I killed 3 of the 4 Chaos Eaters and knocked the 4th down to a sliver of health. Then I jumped in with Siegmeyer. We killed the 4th one almost instantly. Then a fifth one came from around the corner (this one respawns and is on your way out of the area because I went back again it was there again). That one did hit me and degrade my weapons and might have hit Sieg as well but we killed it pretty quickly. The whole thing was over in like 5 seconds.

But Siegmeyer just stands there and snores. He didn't give me a ring. And I warped to Ash Lake and he's not there to give me the slab. I went back to the pit and he's still standing in there snoring.

Does that mean he actually got hurt more than 50% and I need to redo it? I guess I don't really need the slab or that ring, but it is kind of annoying because we finished that fight almost instantly and I can't imagine doing it much differently. The wiki is really, really confusing about how this is supposed to work. At one point it says you only get the ring IF you kill all 4 before jumping in.

In any case, I ended up getting a Titanite Catch Pole from the respawning demon on the bridge when I went back the second time. It seems from the wiki that maybe you don't really need that weapon for the trophy. But I have two choices here. 1) Wait till tomorrow night and download my save backup (I uploaded it right when I saw Siegmeyer looking in the pit but before I did anything else). 2) Just continue on and not worry about it.

But I want to be sure what the progression is supposed to be. If you are successful, does he give you the ring and then leave (after you warp out) to appear in Ash Lake to give you the titanite slab? Or does he do this snoring thing and eventually go there? And then how does the ring thing work out if it is not immediate?

I really can't believe he got hit at all let alone 50%. When that 5th chaos eater hit us, while it degraded my weapons it barely dented my health bar.

Also, I'm guessing by doing the Izalith shortcut route you don't even need to deal with those large "dinosaur" things (which the wiki calls "Bounding Demons of Izalith"). It seems I am right near the boss fight after dealing with the pit.

One more question: when you first approach Siegmeyer there is a Chaos Eater up on a small ledge above you with a treasure right in front of him (this is to the right of that room you enter with Sieg looking down). I killed him with arrows and he also dropped something (probably red titanite which I need). However, I can't figure out how to get up there. The platform is head-high and goes all the way around like that. And I don't see any holes or doors on the opposite wall or a way to drop in on it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know hot to get over there! I'm sitting there right now trying to figure that out to see if I can get that drop (and treasure).

Yep he stays there snoring for now, you only get the ring if you messed it up. Go back to Firelink and talk to Sieglinde, who should now be there. Then go to Ash Lake.

There are two staircases out of the pit with the chaos eaters, and one will allow you up onto the platform with the item and the other chaos eater.

Make sure in every encounter with the daughter that you say that you have seen her father. Then when she talks about their final adventure in firelink you will find them next in Ash Lake.

I spent so much time trying to make that jump to that chaos eater it isn't funny as they don't make it obvious by showing a staircase on the backside that you can't reach from above. There are big holes that look like you can't cross them in the pit with the choas eaters, but there is enough room to scoot around them. Explore all the paths down there and you will find a chest with a red titainite slab and a staircase which leads up to that ledge. Look for a tunnel which looks like it is blocked by a root from a distance, but there is enough room to move around it, that tunnel leads to the staircase.

[quote name='Backlash']Yep he stays there snoring for now, you only get the ring if you messed it up. Go back to Firelink and talk to Sieglinde, who should now be there. Then go to Ash Lake.

There are two staircases out of the pit with the chaos eaters, and one will allow you up onto the platform with the item and the other chaos eater.[/QUOTE]

OK, wow, that's confusing. So I should be OK to get the slab then? You can only get one or the other (ring or slab)? The Wiki is not at all clear on this point.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Make sure in every encounter with the daughter that you say that you have seen her father. Then when she talks about their final adventure in firelink you will find them next in Ash Lake.

I spent so much time trying to make that jump to that chaos eater it isn't funny as they don't make it obvious by showing a staircase on the backside that you can't reach from above. There are big holes that look like you can't cross them in the pit with the choas eaters, but there is enough room to scoot around them. Explore all the paths down there and you will find a chest with a red titainite slab and a staircase which leads up to that ledge. Look for a tunnel which looks like it is blocked by a root from a distance, but there is enough room to move around it, that tunnel leads to the staircase.[/QUOTE]

And D'oh! about the other staircase - I guess I should have known. It just seemed like I explored all over and of course I found the other stairs (the ones that lead back up to the second platform without anything on it).

I'm pretty sure I talked to both of them at every chance but I did not go back to Firelink so I'll try that next. Again, this is not mentioned in the Wiki. Thanks!

It says pretty clearly in the wiki that you have to follow the Sieglinde quest as well and it lists the steps you need for Sieglinde, that you have to return to Firelink after saving Siegmeyer in lost Izy.

[quote name='guardian_owl']It says pretty clearly in the wiki that you have to follow the Sieglinde quest as well and it lists the steps you need for Sieglinde, that you have to return to Firelink after saving Siegmeyer in lost Izy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it says that under Siegelinde's entry but naturally I was looking at Siegmeyer's and the area entries for Lost Izalith and Ash Lake and none of those mentioned the Firelink Shrine step. So, yeah, not necessarily organized all that great but I understand that is the nature of a wiki. Also, the info on the Speckled Ring is a mess - in some places it implies you need to have Sieg survive the fight to get it (the whole backing up of your save file, etc) and in other places it says the correct info (kill all the chaos eaters first).

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you only want the ring, just do what I did and kill him at the beginning of NG+ when he's sitting outside of Sen's.[/QUOTE]

Nah, the ring seems kind of useless. I do want Solaire's armor though - but I don't want to screw with the miracle you need from that covenant. I guess I'll kill him after I get that ;).

Couldn't you just kill him in Ash Lake (at the end of 1st game) after getting the titanite slab too? Maybe I'll do that - take out both of 'em...

My no-level run is going pretty well. Just rang the second bell last night. I was getting annoyed by Quelaag so I decided to summon help, and I ended up summoning the same guy 3 times until we finally beat her. Jolly cooperation indeed.

I do have the feeling that this thing might peter out at or just after Anor Londo, though. We'll see.

[quote name='io']Nah, the ring seems kind of useless. I do want Solaire's armor though - but I don't want to screw with the miracle you need from that covenant. I guess I'll kill him after I get that ;).

Couldn't you just kill him in Ash Lake (at the end of 1st game) after getting the titanite slab too? Maybe I'll do that - take out both of 'em...[/QUOTE]

Spoiler:
If you complete the quest enough to get the titanite slab, Sieg will already be dead.

Killing Solaire doesn't affect your stance in that covenant but you can still choose to be safe than sorry. As for the ring, it's only for completionist purposes, the ring is pretty useless and there's no trophy requiring all rings.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']there's no trophy requiring all rings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that surprised me, especially after Demon's Souls (which did have a trophy for that). Not sure why there isn't one.

I always wondered who the Duke was in "The Duke's Archives," it's Seath the Scaleless, he was made a Duke by Lord Gwyn (according to the Anor Londo fire keeper) which just seems incredibly funny to me for some reason. Made the jump to the Avelyn crossbow on the bookcase though it took me 3 tries, I did it the proper way (jumping off the bottom of the staircase as it rotates) instead of the method in the wiki.

[quote name='Backlash']Yeah, that surprised me, especially after Demon's Souls (which did have a trophy for that). Not sure why there isn't one.[/QUOTE]

Probably replaced with the pyromancies trophy.

I think I screwed up the Siegmeyer story. I killed all of those Chaos suckers when the floor collapsed (way before I ever even saw Siegmeyer--I did the worlds in a different order). I freed his daughter and had to backtrack a bit to find him in blighttown and in Lost Isalith. When I got to Lost Isalith, he asked me if I killed the monsters and then gave me the ring. I told his daughter at Firelink that I saw her father. I went to the only two fires at Ash lake, and nobody's there... So I guess I have to do it next time.

bread's done
Back