Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='Jodou']

Also, anyone who has beat the game must watch this. Really inspiring to see the best boss strats available all in one place:
[/QUOTE]
I watched that last night. It was pretty insane. It also made me realize I had no reason to go through the depths, so I turned around and went back through Valley of the Drakes and rang the second bell. Now on Sen's Fortress and that last swinging blade area has killed me like 4 times.

So do I need to be online at ALL to get the Plat? I haven't even downloaded the 1.03 patch. I've been doing fine soloing so far, I've died at least once on every boss, but managed to beat them eventually.

Just killed Sif last night, he's pretty hard with the Lightning Spear, because it has poking attacks. I'm sure a wide slice with a sword would've made it much easier.

Now about those 2 shit archers in Anor Londo....I'm going to try Hollow Body, I think it might make it so the left archer won't be able to see me and I can make a beeline for the right archer. I'll see if that works otnight.

[quote name='IRHari']So do I need to be online at ALL to get the Plat? I haven't even downloaded the 1.03 patch. I've been doing fine soloing so far, I've died at least once on every boss, but managed to beat them eventually.

Just killed Sif last night, he's pretty hard with the Lightning Spear, because it has poking attacks. I'm sure a wide slice with a sword would've made it much easier.

Now about those 2 shit archers in Anor Londo....I'm going to try Hollow Body, I think it might make it so the left archer won't be able to see me and I can make a beeline for the right archer. I'll see if that works otnight.[/QUOTE]

I just ran to the archer on the left, once you get close to him the other archer stops shooting.

Keep your shield up when facing the right archer though.

[quote name='IRHari']So do I need to be online at ALL to get the Plat? I haven't even downloaded the 1.03 patch. I've been doing fine soloing so far, I've died at least once on every boss, but managed to beat them eventually. [/QUOTE]

No. The only trophy that is made significantly more difficult by playing offline is the miracles trophy because there is one miracle that you get by leveling up the darkmoon covenant. You level it up by offering 10 souvenir of reprisals. These are normally gotten by invading people in the book of the guilty, but they are also a rare drop of a certain enemy -
bird demons in the painted world
. One can also be gotten per game by
letting that one guy kill the firekeeper in Firelink and then invading him in Anor Londo using the item she drops.

Another massive update to the guide and it's nearly complete now. Only have two more major areas to cover and some closure to go. I hope to have it done tomorrow because this game has wore me out ha.

Wow I've got some learning to do with this game.
Never played Demons Souls so it's my first go around.
Just beat the Taurus Deamon and I have 11266 now that I'm back to the campfire.
I died more times than I could count, thank god I was able to recover each time.

Yeah hidden body works miracles (no pun intended). Fucvkres couldnt even see me until I was up in their grill. Scared to fight Ornstein & Smaugh though, I'm only Slvl 105, using a +1 Lightning Spear. Thinking I'm gonna make Quelaags Blade first then boost dex by leveling up a bit. Good idea?

"only level 105"

holy shit..

i don't even know how you're that high at that point unless you did some serious grinding. i spent some time farming the forest in all my plays at was in their area in the 40-50's. had best luck summoning there in the 50's.

Is there a black phantom in Blight? It is either that or I was invaded by a complete idiot in a bra & panties with their big blade. Anyway, beat Quelaag then made the unfortunate mistake of running into the Demon Ruins immediately after. Painful.

[quote name='AzzidReign']Which upgrade is the best overall for the majority of enemies? I'm leaning towards Chaos, Divine, or Demon.[/QUOTE]

Chaos, Demon, Enchanted.

[quote name='crystalklear64']"only level 105"

holy shit..

i don't even know how you're that high at that point unless you did some serious grinding. i spent some time farming the forest in all my plays at was in their area in the 40-50's. had best luck summoning there in the 50's.[/QUOTE]
I'm up to the boss fight in Anor Londo on NG+ and am still less than 100.

[quote name='jmbreci']Is there a black phantom in Blight? It is either that or I was invaded by a complete idiot in a bra & panties with their big blade. [/QUOTE]
Yes, Maneater Mildred. If you beat her, you have the option to summon her for the boss fight.

Wow so I'm really wishing that I hadn't killed the undead merchant on accident.
I'm having to pull mobs from groups using range since I have no consistent method of pulling.
I suppose I'll have to start using my knives/bombs later on in the game, just trying to conserve limited resources.

Hopefully I can make it to the next merchant soon and not kill it. :)

Think I screwed up creating the "True Great Sword of Artorias".

According to the guide, the one that does 158dmg (other is 120dmg/85mag) is cursed and can hurt Ghosts.
Just took a whack at one and my sword bounced off only doing 13 damage.
#-o

[quote name='ev1lg00dguy']Wow so I'm really wishing that I hadn't killed the undead merchant on accident.
I'm having to pull mobs from groups using range since I have no consistent method of pulling.[/QUOTE]

On the very top of Sen's Fortress in a tower (jump across broken bridge), there is a Crestfallen Merchant that sell's bolts and arrows.

I've spent most of the evening helping people with the Anor Londo boss. Only 3 successful out of 8 attempts though.

After that I finally got the Darkwraith Covenant. Been trying to invade people, but it's so difficult - mainly getting "Invading Failed". So where are all the good invading spots? The only area I've actually been able to find people to invade is Darkroot Basin which isn't really ideal because of the narrow path. I've invaded about 10 people so far and almost all of them were from the Japanese server. So it really didn't go that well.

LMAO, the only kill I got was because they were in their menu or something. They tried hiding behind the wall at the bonfire with the fog ring. I stood infront of them for like 3 seconds and they didn't do anything so I kicked them off the cliff. Not proud of the kill but at least I got humanity. Only need a few more for the Dark Armor.

Update - I can't believe I invaded someone who was afk. I equipped the Dark Hand and sucked humanity out of them a few times. Got 15 total! Then they started attacking me, but I was able to kill them. Can't believe I hit the jackpot like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
so, after trying about 10 times on n+ i finally managed to chop if Seaths middle tail(the end tip about 1/5 of the tail) and I didnt get the moonlight sword.

so mad, plat's not even worth it anymore.

I thought my fellow CAGS might enjoy this.
318337_247903805257795_100001145321311_622929_1083971218_n.jpg

[quote name='Brainberry']so, after trying about 10 times on n+ i finally managed to chop if Seaths middle tail(the end tip about 1/5 of the tail) and I didnt get the moonlight sword.

so mad, plat's not even worth it anymore.[/QUOTE]
Lol, did you check the entire room? He got so mad when I got mine that he sent his tail flying into a corner.

[quote name='KrizB']Think I screwed up creating the "True Great Sword of Artorias".

According to the guide, the one that does 158dmg (other is 120dmg/85mag) is cursed and can hurt Ghosts.
Just took a whack at one and my sword bounced off only doing 13 damage.
#-o

On the very top of Sen's Fortress in a tower (jump across broken bridge), there is a Crestfallen Merchant that sell's bolts and arrows.[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you don't meet the requirements for the sword since thats what happens when you don't. Check to make sure you've got all the right stats. I think this one is like 24 str 12 dex 18 faith and 18 magic or something like that.

[quote name='Brainberry']so, after trying about 10 times on n+ i finally managed to chop if Seaths middle tail(the end tip about 1/5 of the tail) and I didnt get the moonlight sword.

so mad, plat's not even worth it anymore.[/QUOTE]

The sword is actually in the end of his tail. It took me awhile to find since usually the boss' tails just turn into a weapon.

[quote name='crystalklear64']It sounds like you don't meet the requirements for the sword since thats what happens when you don't. Check to make sure you've got all the right stats. I think this one is like 24 str 12 dex 18 faith and 18 magic or something like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's 24/18/18/18

Now that you mention it, just noticed I don't have enough Faith.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']The sword is actually in the end of his tail. It took me awhile to find since usually the boss' tails just turn into a weapon.[/QUOTE]

does it turn into the weapon after you kill him or right after you chop it off?

i chopped it off and it stayed tail form LOL, even after I killed him I was in the room chopping at it for like 5 min lmfao

"GIVE ME MY DAMN SWORD!"

[quote name='Brainberry']does it turn into the weapon after you kill him or right after you chop it off?

i chopped it off and it stayed tail form LOL, even after I killed him I was in the room chopping at it for like 5 min lmfao

"GIVE ME MY DAMN SWORD!"[/QUOTE]
You read my post wrong. It doesn't turn into the sword. There is a little light in the end of the tail where you chopped it off and that's the sword.

Didn't get as far as I wanted to on the guide today, but it's nearly there. Writing this thing has really helped me finish getting everything I needed on my second playthrough and FROM needs to take note that next game should be less complicated. There's simply way too much going on in this game and it's very easy to miss stuff you don't even know to look for. Hopefully the guide will help you guys out because it's written so that you miss nothing vital to a trophy.

To be fair, getting the platinum does take a full second playthrough and at least some of a third. You probably aren't meant to get all the character events and such in one playthrough.

[quote name='crystalklear64']this is sad but bed of chaos is kicking my ass because i can't land on the root...[/QUOTE]

put on havel armor and just make a run for it lol

For everyone looking to have fun with people invading them, do what I do:

Pick a room that you cleared out, then start decorating the room with Prism Ores lol. Makes it seem like a ceremony and/or welcomes them to the room. If you want to take it even further, hide yourself with Chameleon, as well as using the Prisms on other things that look like you in the room and make him play the guessing game, then go in for the kill? lol

My next attempt I'm going to try to make a trail with the Prism Ores (gotta test to see how many I can line up, if any will disappear, etc.).... then hide until I see them following the trail, then murderface them from behind XD

Part of me really, really wants to pick this game up and give it a try.

However, I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and stuck at any point in the game and then regret my $60 purchase.

Still on the fence.

Does the Chaos Uchi hurt you each time you swing it? I know the 'Chaos Blade' you make from Quelaags soul does, but do Chaos weapons that you can forge do that too?

Finally got the guide, I'm trying to figure out what the best weapon to use would be. Lightning weapons seem to do a shitload of damage but they don't scale with stats at all. I don't know what the best weapon would be taking into account stat scaling.

Jodou - could you throw out what page it is on that has a link to your guide? That or please simply post another link to it and I'll bookmark it.

Thanks!

[quote name='IRHari']Does the Chaos Uchi hurt you each time you swing it? I know the 'Chaos Blade' you make from Quelaags soul does, but do Chaos weapons that you can forge do that too?

Finally got the guide, I'm trying to figure out what the best weapon to use would be. Lightning weapons seem to do a shitload of damage but they don't scale with stats at all. I don't know what the best weapon would be taking into account stat scaling.[/QUOTE]

I'm basically playing the game now just for pvp's and the Chaos Uchi is my main weapon, it scales with humanity and I always have 10+.

And no it deosn't hurt you when you swing it.

I've invaded about 3 dozen people today. I've had about 9 of them disconnect which was annoying. I'm really sick of those people who use the Stone Sword's gravity spell though. I've been encountering a lot of them lately. It's so cheap - they just stand in a corner and wait for you to come anywhere close then they use it. Late last night when I was invading people on the Japanese server, none of them used that cheap tactic.

I've won/taken enough humanity for rank 3 which is 80 humanity. The Dark Hand is suppose to take more humanity now, but I haven't tried it yet. I can't decide what upgrade path I should do for the Dark Sword. I'm loving it's R2 attack! The 2nd R2 swings the sword directly down and usually finishes off someone whose lying on the floor. It's my new favorite weapon.

[quote name='crystalklear64']love when you're trying to summon guys and some asshole invades you and you're about to die and you pull the plug. so much rage mail.[/QUOTE]

Pull the plug? Really? Why? That is really lame :/

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Part of me really, really wants to pick this game up and give it a try.

However, I'm afraid I'll get frustrated and stuck at any point in the game and then regret my $60 purchase.

Still on the fence.[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls is a great game. Difficult at first, but once you get the hang of things, it is more fun trying to find ways to overcome all your challenges. Also it will be great to be able to say you were skilled/persistent enough to finish (maybe even Platinum) this game :)

For everyone who is going to look for the guide in the future: Judou's Dark Souls Guide is on page 40, but here is the direct post.

@deviousnaraku: What is the range on the Sword Spell? I have yet to get the drop from the Stone Statues hehe.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8955388&postcount=800

Guess how I found it? By going back through pages and looking for it. Easy as that.[/QUOTE]

I should say thanks, but the insults afterward left a bad taste in my mouth. While being Captain Obvious, maybe you could get AzzidReign to Wiki the thread - then this could be posted on in the OP. That seems most logical and then people wouldn't have to hunt through page after page looking for it. I went through pages 8 or 9 pages and then simply asked.

While I greatly appreciate Jodou's work on this and think it is great, I have a feeling it is missed by a number of people because it is not in the OP and not where he is talking about it. No knock on him, but making the thread a Wiki would be great.

I tried to find it by going back pages (started too far back) and doing a search and failed. After that I asked for some assistance as my time is not infinite. Sorry to inconvenience you and waste 5 minutes of your life you will not get back.

For those of you who got the Future Press game guide, have you managed to get any of the QR codes to work on the website? Every one I've entered so far has said "video not available yet. Please check back soon." I only checked a few at the beginning of the book and a few at the end.

[quote name='WillThatsWho']@deviousnaraku: What is the range on the Sword Spell? I have yet to get the drop from the Stone Statues hehe.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty big AOE area and I believe it follows the user too. I'd say it's about 2 (maybe even 2.5) rolls lengths away from the caster. It takes 40 STR to use though.

I really hope they nerf that because there's really no way to counter it melee-wise. Most ranged attacks wont do much damage either since they can easily heal themselves.

So has anyone had any luck with the Blue Eye Orb finding someone who is "guilty". Every time ive used it (in just about every area available) I get a Invade Failed message.

I want to kill me some sinners...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']To be fair, getting the platinum does take a full second playthrough and at least some of a third. You probably aren't meant to get all the character events and such in one playthrough.[/QUOTE]
The only reason for 2.5 playthroughs is the boss souls. All but Priscilla's soul is used at least twice, with Sif being the only one used three times. Otherwise you can do almost everything in one playthrough, with the exception of needing the final boss soul for a miracle. You can also cheat to get all weapon upgrade trophies on the first game too. The guide is now complete and I'm putting the final touches on it before publishing to make sure it's consistent and accurate.

As for it getting lost, I looked to see if we had a strategy guide forum but we don't. Outside of it either being added to the OP or a wiki, I may be forced to just make a new thread or blog it. Both seem redundant though and will be a last resort.[quote name='Bezerker']So has anyone had any luck with the Blue Eye Orb finding someone who is "guilty". Every time ive used it (in just about every area available) I get a Invade Failed message.

I want to kill me some sinners...[/QUOTE]Don't waste your time, it fails too often. I farmed up the six souvenirs I needed last night in about 1.5 hours. People online really play this up as being rare, but it's not as awful as they make it sound.

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Part of me really, really wants to pick this game up and give it a try.

Still on the fence.[/QUOTE]
Honestly I would say don't buy it. If you know you'll rage if you get stuck or killed by perceived cheap shit, don't spend 60$. Wait till it drops. There are specific points in the game and the mechanics themselves are designed in such a way to cause frustration. Its done on purpose so that you feel great when you do beat it, but its certainly anger inducing at time.

If you happen to die twice in a row you'll lose all souls and humanity you had so thats a major one right there. You can trivialize this by use of an infinite soul and humanity glitch but you're just ruining the game for yourself by doing that unless your goal with the game is just to see what there is to see and get some trophies. It takes away a core mechanic of the game and certainly changes the feel/playstyle.

I know the game pretty well now and how to run through most of it from recreating characters and shit still gets me stuck. There will be an uneven part of the floor, or a tree root, or a brick that you can't run/roll over, or a slope that was just slightly too steep and sends you flying down a cliff like its made of ice (fuck you crystal caverns). Capra Demon boss is a big one too. It is literally luck as to whether or not you'll beat it unless you do some powerleveling before taking it on so that you can take 3-4 hits. If the AI decides to attack the stairs at the start, you will die. Imagine a room 4 feet wide with 2 dogs and a dumptruck full of shit in it, and you have to kill the dumptruck. Any time the dogs touch you, you will be stunned and wide open for the dumptruck to take a massive shit on you followed by additional dog shits. You only hope is that the dogs are distracted by a squirel and you are able to sneak by up some stairs to gain the high ground attack bonus +2.

Ceaseless Discharge as well. People talk about a glitch where he kills himself. Well I've tried it at least 10 times where you just stand at the entrance to lure him to you and he just sits back and does an unblockable flame blast or throws rocks till you die. I've tried using the L shaped corridor to lure an attack and get free hits, but he never performs the attack with his arm, just throws rocks. So, I have to get in his face and take him on, trying to roll to dodge his shit which works.... until he does his double arm sweep that is both unblockable and undodgeable unless you fight him on the stairs as use the height difference to go under the attack. Thats not even mentioning the bullshit that is Lost Izalith that comes after suffering through that boss and the zombie asses of infinite knockdown IN LAVA fuck THE RAGE.

Now lets discuss cutting off Seath's tail. AHAAHHAHAHAA. Theres this room sized motherfucker with 3 tails and a breath attack that covers a good chunk of the room. He turns on a dime so getting behind him is a feat in itself. Once you get behind him, will he ever stop trying to turn? Only if he decides to raise his tail up out of range to beat you senseless with it. Oh and while you're knocked down from this attack, he'll do a tail sweep that hits twice and WILL kill you. This is unless he does a charged breath attack that covers the entire area around him and causes curse. Enjoy your half HP so now attack tail attack you could have survived insta kills you. Fun fun fun.

Would you like to summon someone to help you fight these tough bosses? Bahaha. The second you turn human, you will be invaded and there will be no soul signs around to summon help. Your best bet is to unplug your ethernet and try again because fighting the enemies AND an invader with undoubtedly a ton of bullshit spells and gear while you're just truckin along with your longsword +6 means your ass is going no where. God help you if you use wireless, hope you didn't like the souls or humanity you had.

I want to see how epicnamebro deals with this shit because I eventually just said fuck it and leveled to 500 or so and was able to take a bunch of hits. I'll have to try again on my "legit" character later.

So to summarize don't buy this game if you know you rage at frustrating stuff. At least not for 60$. Also sorry for spoiling all the fun for you.

Lolumad. Seriously though, I'm surprised you had trouble with a couple of those things. When I did tails or the discharge guy, they always went off without a hitch. Guess AI is to blame for not following orders lol. BTW, getting invaded really slows down after Anor Londo. I think a majority of players either give up or get stuck on that area for a while so it's understandable. I don't think I was invaded more than a couple times after getting the Lordvessel in both my playthroughs.

Alright, after 24 pages typed the guide is done. I'm two trophies from the plat which I'll get tonight and what a ride it has been. I'd love to see another game in the future, but not for a long time haha. For now, it's time to rest before diving into BF3. :D

[quote name='Jodou']Lolumad. Seriously though, I'm surprised you had trouble with a couple of those things. When I did tails or the discharge guy, they always went off without a hitch. Guess AI is to blame for not following orders lol. BTW, getting invaded really slows down after Anor Londo. I think a majority of players either give up or get stuck on that area for a while so it's understandable. I don't think I was invaded more than a couple times after getting the Lordvessel in both my playthroughs.

Alright, after 24 pages typed the guide is done. I'm two trophies from the plat which I'll get tonight and what a ride it has been. I'd love to see another game in the future, but not for a long time haha. For now, it's time to rest before diving into BF3. :D[/QUOTE]
I've been invaded more times in the Duke's Archives than I have been walking through the forest in human form. Its like the cool place to invade I guess. I figured I could summon someone to distract Seath so I could get behind him since I could never do it unless I attack him and I didn't know how much HP his tail had so i didn't want to kill him on accident by getting some hits in before attacking the tail. lolnope. Every time I turned human I was invaded and I knew it was coming too because suddenly my bonfire would not allow me to use it like when an enemy is nearby. I killed a few by camping the bonfire and using great chaos fireball on the tiny balcony so there was literally no where for them to dodge and the lava would keep them stun locked, but as soon as I'd kill someone, another would invade. People complain about shitty servers and not being able to invade or summon but I've never had a problem either way. Which is bullshit.

Great guide though, its helping in these later areas. I've done the parts before you open the doors to the final 4 about 6 times now so I know that pretty well but its been a big help in the archives and tomb of giants.

[quote name='crystalklear64']
Ceaseless Discharge as well. People talk about a glitch where he kills himself. Well I've tried it at least 10 times where you just stand at the entrance to lure him to you and he just sits back and does an unblockable flame blast or throws rocks till you die. I've tried using the L shaped corridor to lure an attack and get free hits, but he never performs the attack with his arm, just throws rocks. So, I have to get in his face and take him on, trying to roll to dodge his shit which works.... until he does his double arm sweep that is both unblockable and undodgeable unless you fight him on the stairs as use the height difference to go under the attack. Thats not even mentioning the bullshit that is Lost Izalith that comes after suffering through that boss and the zombie asses of infinite knockdown IN LAVA fuck THE RAGE.
[/QUOTE]
First it is not a glitch, it is a scripted event.
To get it to work, you cannot just stand at the fog and wait for him to come to you. You have to run all the way to the area with the gold hemmed cloak. Then turn around and run all the way back. By the time you get to the fog door and turn around, you will see his arm hanging onto the ledge for dear life. (There is a cliff that he tried to jump from in order to get you.) Now, you hit his arm 5 times and he'll die.

You know, now that you mention it I think I was never human in archives and only because of the first encounter with Seath. By the time I would use a bonfire, I'd practically be done too. At any rate, there's absolutely no reason to be human in there (other than to summon I guess, but I never felt a need to summon on any boss fight other than Solaire) and it's a shitty place to PvP anyway.[quote name='ChibiJosh']First it is not a glitch, it is a scripted event.
To get it to work, you cannot just stand at the fog and wait for him to come to you. You have to run all the way to the area with the gold hemmed cloak. Then turn around and run all the way back. By the time you get to the fog door and turn around, you will see his arm hanging onto the ledge for dear life. (There is a cliff that he tried to jump from in order to get you.) Now, you hit his arm 5 times and he'll die.[/QUOTE]You know, I started to wonder if IGN was on crack with their video (since they portrayed it like a glitch). It seemed like a pretty big 'how did this get through testing moment'.

bread's done
Back