Darkstalkers, Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, + More = Cross Edge

RelentlessRolento

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
????

http://kotaku.com/387992/capcom-nip...-and-idea-factory-team-for-rpg-fans-wet-dream

crossedge.jpg

crazy.

Oh wow... anything Disgaea, and I'm on board.

I haven't played Darkstalkers or Ar Tonelico though... are they similar??

darkstalkers is a fighting game series from the early and mid 90's. ar tonelico is some type of rpg.

Interesting mash of fan service. Don't see the connection with Darkstalkers, though not sure there is even supposed to be one?

[quote name='refusedchaos']......*creams in pants*:drool::drool::drool:[/quote]

at first i connected Cross Edge with Chrono Cross, so I instantly thought Chrono Edge, which would have been equally creaming pants worthy lol

*Mouth Hits the Floor* I hope to GOD that this actually makes it to the US. Otherwise I'm going to have to study up on my Japanese REALLY FAST!

[quote name='Masterkyo']Hope ATLUS get this game to the US shore :)[/QUOTE]If anything, I see NIS bringing this over, because my gut feeling tells me they'll be the publisher bringing over the RPGs on PS3 more so than Atlus (I have a feeling NIS will bring Agarest Senki stateside and maybe Tears of Tiara).

Seems like it would be a licensing nightmare to bring this to the US, that's why these awesome crossovers never make it. Here's to hoping!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Seems like it would be a licensing nightmare to bring this to the US, that's why these awesome crossovers never make it. Here's to hoping![/QUOTE]
I'm glad that since PS3 is region free, importing this will be easy if I want it.

The biggest licensing problems I see will come from Capcom, if anything.

I wonder if Etna's gonna have her Prinnies at her side. I just hope this doesn't turn into a bowl full of crap like Capcom Fighting Evolution or SVC Chaos.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Seems like it would be a licensing nightmare to bring this to the US, that's why these awesome crossovers never make it. Here's to hoping![/QUOTE]

Well NISA already got a good relationship with 3 of company (NIS, Gust, Idea Factory). All they need is capcom and namco. It is a better situtation than Chaos Wars.

[quote name='espy605']Namco x Capcom didn't make it so I doubt this will =/[/QUOTE]

I am not sure why people keep bring that up. Namco was the one who had the right to the game and made the decision not to publish it. Namco doesnt own the right to this game.

The bigger concern is that the developer is Compile Heart, known for Astonishia Story and Octomania.

Cross Edge / X Edge looks like a licensing mess. It has Darkstalkers from Capcom, Reyvateils from Ar Tonelico which is now under the guise of Namco Bandai, various Gust characters from the Atelier series, and Etna from Nippon Ichi. Yikes. This is a bigger debacle than Chaos Wars, but somehow that got localized with hilariously awful voice acting. Apparently, Cross Edge is too. A trusted inside source tells me Cross Edge will see a US release by a company “we (i.e. Siliconera) know very well”.

Since there isn’t an official press release or statement to go along with this I’m going to throw this in the wild rumor bin for now. However, if you were thinking about importing Cross Edge when it comes out in Japan this month and concerned about the language barrier you might want to wait.

Don’t know who made the Cross Edge cut? Here’s a list of characters we know about so far.
http://www.siliconera.com/2008/09/11/cross-edge-crossing-over-to-north-america/

If it comes stateside, I will buy it (I believe NIS will bring this stateside if anything).

All right, I play the demo. I don't really feel like posting my impressions for now. The game has some faults (like it's a tad slow to load to battle), but the battles are kind of cool once you figure it out. The games reminds me a lot of Agarest Senki (Compile Heart's other game). I found the game decent. but most will hate it. Seeing familiar characters was cool though. I barely knew what to do since it's very Japanese heavy, but I figured out the battles (not linear like Agarest Senki demo).

The battles do chug during the load sequence. I really didn't know a lot of the characters and the gameplay itself was rather boring personally. My japanese is limited as well but from what I saw I wasn't impressed.

While at NIS America's Prinny Event, we asked them about the possibility of localizing the joint developed PS3 game Cross Edge by Capcom, Bandai Namco, NIS, Idea Factory, and Gust. The problem here is that the game has numerous intellectual properties owned by different companies, and licensing it in the United States by any one company could prove difficult.

After much poking and prodding, "Lets just say we will have some good news for the fans from us." is the response we got.
http://www.t-ono.net/Gaming-News/NIS-Cross-Edge-Coming-to-the-US.html

Looks like I was right that NIS America MIGHT be the ones picking it up.

It's Coming March 09:
X-Edge just seems to have NIS America all over it. It features characters from Disgaea, Mana Khemia, Ar tonelico, Spectral Souls, and the Atelier series. I mean, come on, there are even Prinnies. When should we expect to see it in North America?

NISA: X-Edge is an interesting project since it's a collaboration between 3 different companies. It's pretty funny to see a little Prinny fight characters from Darkstalkers like Morrigan and Demitri.

The release date isn't finalized yet, but it's going to be in March 09.
http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2008/nisainterview.html

When looking at this video, there seems to be an install option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq_Hv2yc-NQ

Last edited by a moderator:
My interest is piqued. Just hope it's better than the last RPG that tried to mix characters from different universes, only to be universally panned (largely because of the poor dubbing).

*crosses fingers for Japanese voice track*

Looks like Amazon has pre-orders up but no boxshot and they're calling it X-Edge.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Edge-Playst..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233121969&sr=8-1

I'm personally waiting to see if Rosenqueen has anything special planned for this game considering it is being published by NIS after all.

Hopefully, this does okay in sales because it seems NIS is the only importer interested in the PS3 at the moment. Atlus looks like they're sticking with handhelds and the PS2 and XSeed is focusing on the Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vanigan']Er, so how does this game play? Is it any good?[/quote]
There's a demo on the JPN store from way back.
I got it but have yet to try it.

I actually think they took down the demo. All I was able to find in the JP store was some 200 yen wallpapers and some downloadable content. No more demo.

About a month and a half until this game supposedly ships and not even a boxshot yet, let alone some kind of preview or something somewhere, anywhere? This game is DEFINITELY not coming out on 03/24 like Amazon says. But I will keep hoping because as far as new, PS3 turn-based RPGs, it's all we've got (which is quite sad, IMO).

Never heard of this till just checking out the PS3 forum right now - will definitely keep an eye on this. In the meantime, maybe I should play that Disgaea 3 I picked up a while back.

[quote name='io']In the meantime, maybe I should play that Disgaea 3 I picked up a while back.[/quote]
Same here, played it for like 2 hours then I got caught up with other games

bread's done
Back