Darth Vader and Yoda are playable characters in Soul Calibur 4. This is not a joke.

When does this come out is all I want to know. This thread has way to many whiners and internet complainers. This'll kick ass as long as they don't revert back to the changes they added in SC3 (pure garbage and most fans of the series agree) and mix it up as a combination of SC1 and SC2. Next, maybe take a bit from SC3, but that game is so utterly broken and took out all the fun that was in SC1 and 2.

[quote name='jollydwarf']I am a big fan of these games, I'm still a big fan of the Star Wars universe in general, but I'm not really feelin' this. It comes across, like so much of the SW marketing these days as 'Forced'.

Sorry.[/quote]

Ugghh....

[quote name='ZForce']The sad thing is... the game will probably sell a crapton more now that those characters are in it, because a bunch of Star Wars fanboys will buy it. Kinda like how the Gamecube version of SC2 outsold the other two versions because it had Link, thus causing all the Zelda fanatics to buy it, despite the XBox version arguably being superior, and more people owning a PS2.[/quote]

Take it from a person who played all three (huge SC2 fan), the best version was indeed the GCN version. No slow down, as there was in the PS2 edition, and link actually fit and was fun to play Even in Xbox version, which is supposedly the "superior" version that I always here about from others, there was plenty of frame rate issues and clipping. That also goes without saying that Spawn being in it just sucked. GCN's controllers was also pretty good when it came to playing a fighting game, or at least Namco put in a lot of effort in optimizing for that controller.

Anyway, has there been any word yet on a complete character list?

I dont even think im gonna buy this now.
Didnt they learn that the bouns characters break the game.

Soul Calibur 1 is still the best.

[quote name='Fifth Ocean']Maybe because you could hit "Highs" on Spawn, Link, and Heihachi. Seriously devs, the game wasn't unbalanced enough already? This is like Gon in Tekken 3 all over again. Except this time he's green. And has a lightsaber.[/quote]

Hah! I forgot about Gon. I'm going to go pop in Tekken now for some Gon play. I liked it him. I don't understand why they don't just make a Tekken with every single Tekken character they've ever come up with. Also, where the hell is Tekken Tag 2?

I actually liked playing spawn in the XBOX version.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Hah! I forgot about Gon. I'm going to go pop in Tekken now for some Gon play. I liked it him. I don't understand why they don't just make a Tekken with every single Tekken character they've ever come up with. Also, where the hell is Tekken Tag 2?[/QUOTE]
Gon was liscenced

"Star Wars Characters in Soul Calibur" = If it weren't for my

275572984_ea1ccb2603.jpg

$10 says Yoda is broken.

Otherwise, cool idea and seems Star Wars is being pimped out everywhere now (if it hasn't been before). But to be honest I don't really care and I'm not going to get it anyway.

[quote name='InuFaye']I hope they have online options that make it so people cant choose those broke ass characters.[/QUOTE]
I thought you weren't going to buy it now? What does it matter?

Bonus characters may very well break the game, but they also sell the game, which is something that fighting games have been doing worse at worse at for years.

They'll just be banned from use in tournaments and that'll be that.

You got Star Wars in my Soul Calibur! You got Soul Calibur in my Star Wars!

Either, this is full of win. I mean, Vader vs. Voldo. Vader vs. Voldo.

That's just so out of place, couldn't they have just slapped on some weapons to Tekken fighters and put them in?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Bonus characters may very well break the game, but they also sell the game, which is something that fighting games have been doing worse at worse at for years.

They'll just be banned from use in tournaments and that'll be that.[/quote]

My exact thoughts when I saw that. Tournament play will just reduce these bonus characters or they won't be permitted. Done. Anyone know if an arcade cabinet for number 4 has been announced? I want to to know and hope that one of my three arcades by me will get. They earn a ton on those machines out here because there's a real fanbase and that we hold competitions/tourneys all the time.

[quote name='GodlyOne']That's just so out of place, couldn't they have just slapped on some weapons to Tekken fighters and put them in? Seeing Law in there with a pair of nunchucks would be pretty rad.[/quote]

There's already two nunchuk wielding characters in the game. No need for a useless third that people would just spam as they do in Tekken. They've also incorporated similar characters for baek/hwoarang (sp) in Hwang/his semi-double (name not coming to mind as I don't really care for him).

NO

This is most certainly a joke, even though it's real.

fucking star wars.

Edit: This just took SC4 from "mildly interested" to "will wait for $10 copy/rent"

Not thrilled about Yoda, but Darth Vader ought to be in every game. Maybe his 2P costume can be his Lego Star Wars incarnation.

The thing that worries me is how they said there's a possibility that even more Star Wars characters could make an appearance. I may be pro-Vader, but let's not turn this into Super Soulcalibur Star Wars Brawl.

Did someone seriously complain that lightsabers made the game too unrealistic?

Im not buying it new, sorry I should have specified.
Dont matter cause zew$$$$a dont buy no ghamez.

This is brilliant though. Hardcores have every right to be pissed, but namco wants to sell the game.

but iirc, SCII didn't do all that well, sales wise.

Where's Boba Fett?

Edit: Oh, yeah. Being digested - slowly - for a thousand years.

SC3 did way the hell worse than SC2.

Consider the following:

Its theretically possible that if Namco thinks that if the sales trend continued as was, the game wouldnt be possible on a HD budget without exactly this kind of thing.

[quote name='Apossum']This is brilliant though. Hardcores have every right to be pissed, but namco wants to sell the game.

but iirc, SCII didn't do all that well, sales wise.[/quote]

If I remember correctly, SCII did very strong sales. SCIII bombed.

[quote name='anomynous']according to joystiq, yoda is 360 only, while Vader is PS3 only. Lucky PS3 owners[/QUOTE]
That's weak.

[quote name='anomynous']according to joystiq, yoda is 360 only, while Vader is PS3 only. Lucky PS3 owners[/QUOTE]
That better be bullshit, because I now will not buy SC4 at all unless I can have Vader vs Yoda.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That better be bullshit, because I now will not buy SC4 at all unless I can have Vader vs Yoda.[/QUOTE]
I just read it on Kotaku.

They mention the only chance would be if either was offered as DLC.

I could care less about Yoda, but I'd

[quote name='anomynous']according to joystiq, yoda is 360 only, while Vader is PS3 only. Lucky PS3 owners[/quote]

Bitchin. Is there a good PS3 arcade stick out?

It's probably like a 3 month exclusive deal on each console, then the other is put up as DLC on their respective stores for $2 each.

PS3 = Superior version*

* - Until Vader is released as an overpriced DLC on 360

Yeah I'm sure Vadar will eventaully appear on the 360 and Yoda will eventually appear on the PS3 as DLC. Why include both in both versions when you can release one as $5 DLC? ;)

The only reason I bought SC2 was because of Link, and I might buy SCIV because of Yoda when it hits $20-30, since I'm not a big fighting game fan.

Sadly, a bunch of irredeemable dipshits will now buy two versions on Day One.

This is why EGM calling out Ubisoft and such is a losing battle...the industry is still marketed towards "BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE" swill-swallowing children, those that are socially retarded, those that are borderline retarded, and, as Ben himself said, "the weak-minded". I wonder how many more copies of SSBB would be sold if they pulled some Sonic/Snake, Pokemon Color A/Color B bullshit. What, total upcoming sales doubled?

EDIT: Yeah I'm sure Vadar will eventaully appear on the 360 and Yoda will eventually appear on the PS3 as DLC. Why include both in both versions when you can release one as $5 DLC?

This may very well happen, but only after Namco has determined that the 'double-dippers' sales have tapered off to next-to-nil. That might be a month, it might be six. Either way, I'm not buying. And Jesus, kids, misspell "definitely" and "separate" as much as you like, but it's V-A-D-E-R. Or is that more 'cutesy' Internet 'alternate spelling'?

[quote name='zewone']I just read it on Kotaku.

They mention the only chance would be if either was offered as DLC.

I could care less about Yoda, but I'd

You know, as cringe-inducing as this news is (along with the trailer), it's still probably going to be a better game featuring Star Wars characters than that mook-n-sullen-teen focus group-pandering impending shitfest known as Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Eight hours of repetitive slashing at moronic enemies, optional Sith holocron hunts (curiously hidden everywhere from cargo ships to inside carnivorous plants), irrelevant 'narrative' in mediocre cutscenes*, and two equally anemic endings, the 'bad' one and the 'really bad' one. Can't wait!

*--Also, one cut-rate James Earl Jones knockoff comin' up!

bread's done
Back