Dave Thomas rolls in grave as Arby's buys Wendy's for 2.34B

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/IndustryInfo/story?id=4717253&page=1

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- After two past rejections, the owner of Arby's shaved roast beef sandwich restaurants is buying Wendy's, the fast-food chain famous for its made-to-order square hamburgers and chocolate Frosty dessert, for around $2 billion.

Triarc Companies Inc., which is owned by billionaire investor Nelson Peltz, said Thursday it will pay about $2.34 billion in an all-stock deal for the nation's third-largest hamburger chain started in 1969 by Dave Thomas. Wendy's had rejected at least two buyout offers from Triarc.
Thomas' daughter Pam Thomas Farber said the family was devastated by the news.
"It's a very sad day for Wendy's, and our family. We just didn't think this would be the outcome," said Farber, 53.
If her father were alive to hear news of the buyout, "he would not be amused," she said.
Thomas became a household face when he began pitching his burgers and fries in television commercials in 1989.

Wendy's International Inc. deferred comment to Triarc, which had nothing further to say right away.
Triarc will pay about $26.78 per share for the company, which has about 87 million shares outstanding. The price is a premium of 6 percent from the company's closing price of $25.32 Wednesday.

Under the terms of the deal, which is expected to close in the second half of the year, shareholders at Wendy's will receive 4.25 shares of Triarc Class A stock for each share of Wendy's stock they own.
Atlanta-based Triarc said its shareholders will have to approve a charter amendment in which each share of its Class B stock will be converted into Class A stock.

The Wendy's board has been studying strategic alternatives since early last year, and expenses related to that contributed to the company's 72 percent drop in first-quarter earning announced Thursday.
Wendy's said its profits totaled $4.1 million, or 5 cents, a share for the quarter ended March 30 compared with a profit of $14.7 million, or 15 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue was down slightly to $513 million from $522 million a year ago.

More at the link.

Finally! Spicy Baconators AND Roast Beef fuckwiches under one roof!

Eh, VG? Eh? Eh??

All we need now is Dominoes, and the unholy trifecta will be placed upon the head of the Damnéd One like a glorious shining crown covered in grease and broken souls.

While we're on the subject does anyone have a link to a pic of Wendy [Dave Thomas' daughter] ?

I wonder what she looks like .

[quote name='Strell']All we need now is Dominoes, and the unholy trifecta will be placed upon the head of the Damnéd One like a glorious shining crown covered in grease and broken souls.[/quote]

You have to be careful, though. There are already some unholy trifectas out there, the bane of colons across the entire country.

Thankfully I believe that Kentaco Hut (KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) over in Pittsburgh by UPitt is finally gone. I bet it was only there to foster additional research at the UPMC's gastrointestinal department.

This is a huge shock to me. I don't even see how Arby's is even open, let alone buying other fast food restaurants. Though I've never even eaten there, I imagine there food is shit and I'll never eat there.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Though I've never even eaten there, I imagine there food is shit and I'll never eat there.[/quote]

Well, that's logical. Where can I sign up for your newsletter?

I like how they say, "He would not be amused," like you'd expect him to be dancing in the streets or something over it. :lol:

Poor Wendy's, they're still the best of the big three, but they sure went down the shitter after Dave's death. He was a great person.

[quote name='Richlough']While we're on the subject does anyone have a link to a pic of Wendy [Dave Thomas' daughter] ?

I wonder what she looks like .[/QUOTE]
HC-GK582_Farber_20070828232815.gif

i like wendys and arbys, so hopefully they can make a combo restaurant and put it right by my house, and give me a discount.

[quote name='Fuzi0n']This is a huge shock to me. I don't even see how Arby's is even open, let alone buying other fast food restaurants. Though I've never even eaten there, I imagine there food is shit and I'll never eat there.[/QUOTE]

You're joking, right? Arby's is really good.

To quote The Simpsons: I'm so hungry I could eat Arbys.

I actually like Arbys though. Hopefully they'll crack the whip and get those fucking assholes at Wendy's to make those Ranch/Caesar pitas again.

[quote name='Kapwanil']
Thankfully I believe that Kentaco Hut (KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) over in Pittsburgh by UPitt is finally gone. I bet it was only there to foster additional research at the UPMC's gastrointestinal department.[/quote]

Want to hear something messed up? The one near me is a KFC and A&W combo. Shitting your pants is fine, but not when it has 2x the firepower.

[quote name='Scorch']Well, that's logical. Where can I sign up for your newsletter?[/quote]

HAHA I knew this would happen, there is no logic there, just pure stupid speculation.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']who would have thought Arby's had that kind of scratch lying around[/quote]

No shit! I would think it would be the other way around...Wendy's buying Arbys

eh, this is just like that YUM corporation - you know, how taco bell, KFC, and I think pizza hut are all under the same roof...*and a few others*

so basically you'll never see an arbys sandwich in wendys, unless it's a new combo restuarant with two seperate menus. in fact, i wouldn't be surprised if this is a bailout move!

The Big Bacon Classic is the only thing worth a squirt of piss on Wendy's menu (after getting rid of the godlike pitas). The Floor Chili was okay. It's called Floor Chili because that's where the meat comes from. Burgers that get dropped and break apart.

Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers are amazing. When it comes to value, Wendy's Dollar Menu rules them all (with the exception of only the $1 Whopper Jr.).

Seriously, I don't know anyone who actually eats at Arby's. It amazes me they've got $2B to spend.

arbys is expensive as fuck, but i fuck with it. only with coupons though.

to me, any fast food restaurant that can do national commercials has at least a billion in assets. i can't think of any that aren't rolling in dough. what makes me wonder is how much is stock transference and how much is going to be straight cold cash...

Arby's curley fries are the shit. The plain old roast beef or beef & cheddar are great. The only good thing is the frequent 5 for $5 on roast beef sammiches. Jamocha shakes kick all other shake ass, even if it requires 10x the sucking power to consume one, despite the extra large straws.

Do a Google Image search for arby's and look at the first image on the second page....:rofl: Also I'd have to agree that Wendy's by far has the best value menu. Maybe there will be new hyprid chains with both like KFC/Taco Bell or Long John's/A&W.

Not really a fan of Arby's, and I never would've thought they'd have the money to buy up one of the big three.

As long as they don't change anything up on that dollar menu, I'm fine with it. I basically eat off the dollar menu at all the fast food restaurants that have them, and Wendy's has a good one.

I've never even eaten at Arby's, way too spread out in this area. Well whatever, I won't start getting concerned until it looks like Taco Bell will buy everyone out.

Their pick 5 for 6 deal is amazing, Arby's is awesome. x2 Mozza sticks, x2 sammiches, x1 fries, ask for a cup for water and go get pop.

Wendy's is also awesome. Their fries+that salt is omnom.

Combined, they could make something super tasty fo sho.

[quote name='Rig']Not really a fan of Arby's, and I never would've thought they'd have the money to buy up one of the big three.
[/quote]

They probably make 10x as much as the competition when fools come through the door without coupons. When I was younger, we NEVER ate at Arbys unless we had coupons. Come to think of it, that's the only place I ever ate where you'd even go through the trouble of using coupons. That's where they got the money to buy out Wendys. "She makes good food...HAMBURGERS!" Any Descendents fans?

I don't even know where to find an Arby's around here. I think there used to be one inside a mall nearby. Wendy's on the otherhand.. I love 99 cent nuggets.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I knew in my heart of hearts who would be the first person to respond to this thread.[/quote]

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']This won't be that big of a deal. Arybs isn't going to do anything to mess with a highly recognizable brand like Wendys.[/quote]

XD

[quote name='Kapwanil']You have to be careful, though. There are already some unholy trifectas out there, the bane of colons across the entire country.

Thankfully I believe that Kentaco Hut (KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut) over in Pittsburgh by UPitt is finally gone. I bet it was only there to foster additional research at the UPMC's gastrointestinal department.[/quote]

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Want to hear something messed up? The one near me is a KFC and A&W combo. Shitting your pants is fine, but not when it has 2x the firepower.[/quote]

The absolute BEST YUM! corporation combo is the Long John Silver/A&W combo restaurant.

Get the L7 chicken planks meal, sub A&W cheese curds for the fries, and have a smile on your face when your heart stops.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Want to hear something messed up? The one near me is a KFC and A&W combo. Shitting your pants is fine, but not when it has 2x the firepower.[/quote]
We have a long john silver's/A&W combo here. Nothing like fish and hamburgers.

[quote name='JolietJake']We have a long john silver's/A&W combo here. Nothing like fish and hamburgers.[/quote]

Nahh man the LJS chicken is the fuckin best! :drool:

Also, those LJS/A&W comboc are the rarest combo out there. There are only like 3-4 in IL/MN/WI

I'm 170+ miles from the closest one :cry:

I live less than 10 miles from the Mall of America, and they have LJS and A&W in the same food court. They're right next to each other, but you can't sub in cheese curds:twoguns:

[quote name='strongpimphand']arbys is expensive as fuck, but i fuck with it. only with coupons though.

...[/quote]

Agreed. Arbys is the most disgusting food out there solely beacuse of the price of it.

You go there just to grab a bite and end up spending 10-13 bucks.

I never step foot there unless they have a crazy ass deal or I have some coupons.

[quote name='JolietJake']We have a long john silver's/A&W combo here. Nothing like fish and hamburgers.[/QUOTE]

You know what really creeps me out though? Long John Silver's/Taco Bell. That is a scary combination there.

[quote name='manthing']The absolute BEST YUM! corporation combo is the Long John Silver/A&W combo restaurant.

Get the L7 chicken planks meal, sub A&W cheese curds for the fries, and have a smile on your face when your heart stops.[/quote]

The only problem is that I rarely see any A&Ws around, although there is a combo KFC/A&W back at home. The only problem there is that it's pretty much right next door to one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, and when they're both going to be the same exact price...the Chinese wins, hands down.

Don't give me that look. They do magnificent dim sum!

I did like LJS around here though although it went under about a year ago. Not a surprise since it was a huge dining room and it was only ever 1/3 full during dinner. Shame though, it used to be my cheap lunch option since it was on my way and it was tasty.

[quote name='Fuzi0n'] Though I've never even eaten there, I imagine there food is shit and I'll never eat there.[/quote]

Like Jack Thompson on GTA. :lol:

Arby's food is actually good. Espescially the Roast Beef, Philly Subs, and Potato Bites :drool:. Good eatin'.

Wendy's has pretty good chicken sandwiches, and I like their triple cheeseburger, but given the choice between the two I'll take Arby's over Wendy's.

Given an overall choice, Backyard Burgers beat the hell out of every other fastfood place on the planet.

[quote name='Soodmeg']

You go there just to grab a bite and end up spending 10-13 bucks.

[/quote]What the hell are you buying that you end up spending $10-$13? The 5 for $5.95 and 5 for $6.95 deals are good enough for me.

Shouldn't change anything foodwise. Applebees hasn't changed since being bought by IHOP.

I couldn't care personally as I'm not a big fan of either (or fast food in general). Prefer Arby's a little I guess as I like roast beef sandwiches better than fast food burgers, and their market fresh sandwiches are good (if they still have those).

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']What the hell are you buying that you end up spending $10-$13? The 5 for $5.95 and 5 for $6.95 deals are good enough for me.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully he's factoring price for 2 or 3 people. :hot:

Kind of like those people that say it costs $40 to see a movie when what they really mean is it costs $40 to pay for yourself and a date and to buy two drinks and some crappy overpriced concession stand food.;)

Damn, if only Wendy's would start using the same bacon as Arby's now. If you're going to use bacon, don't use that limp shit all fast food places use, it's disgusting as hell. That alone makes Arby's worth going to.

I don't understand the Arby's hate. I'll eat there before I set foot in ANY of the big 3. The only problem I have with the Arby's near me is that there's a Carl's Jr. and Jack in The Box within 1/4 mile of them (not to mention a damn good Chinese take-out). Makes my decision tough if I want fast food. ;)

arbys is awesome.. they have some varied selections.. i like their turkey sandwich.

mozza sticks are awesome too..

is it confirmed that the wendys name will stick around?

bread's done
Back