DC: Let's kill off Batman again. Readers: WTF?!?!

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
Honestly, how many times can they kill off the Batman "For real this time?" I am so sick of it already. Everyone knows the hipocrysy that this is, and we're all expecting them to pull off yet another "Batman returns again in the surprise plot twist of the new millenium that nobody saw coming!!!" OMFG somebody please do kill off the Batman for real already. But please leave the Chris Nolan Batman alone for now.

Usually, this type of thing is a big deal and is reported in newspapers or online news sites but this time Obama in Spidey got bigger press.

Actually, they haven't killed off Batman much, but there have been a few instances or close calls over the life of the character.

He's coming back in some fashion because it appears Grant Morrison isn't done writing about the Bruce Wayne Batman.

He'll be back by the time a 3rd movie comes around or sooner.

WTF?

Here's TF: they'll sell a buncha copies, and they'll sell more when they bring him back in a few months.

Christ, act like they'll permanently kill him. Marks.

I don't remember Batman being killed off much, out of the "Trinity" he hasn't gone through the whole death and rebirth thing. Superman bought it, Wonder Woman too, Batman got a broken back. As it is I think just about everyone knows this isn't permanent but it is fun sometimes to mix it up. I still prefer Kyle Rayner to Hal Jordan.

Probably because it's a little harder to believe that bats would come back. Supes and wonder woman are at least super powered, bats is just a guy in a cape.

I think the issues only sell because people are duped and/or paranoid that it's truly "for real" this time. Lol, I remember QVC had all those Death of Super-Man specials. My friend's dad bought like 100 copies and today they're worth jack shit.

[quote name='coolsteel']I don't remember Batman being killed off much, out of the "Trinity" he hasn't gone through the whole death and rebirth thing. Superman bought it, Wonder Woman too, Batman got a broken back. As it is I think just about everyone knows this isn't permanent but it is fun sometimes to mix it up. I still prefer Kyle Rayner to Hal Jordan.[/quote]

I like Kyle Rayner, but Hal Jordan is the original and the better character of the two. I loved it when they brought Hal Jordan back, not only just because he was back, but the way they did it. Geoff Johns is a genius. He has provided some of the absolute best Green Lantern story arcs i've ever seen. Sinestro corps war, yellow rings, parasites, etc. Awesome.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think the issues only sell because people are duped and/or paranoid that it's truly "for real" this time. Lol, I remember QVC had all those Death of Super-Man specials. My friend's dad bought like 100 copies and today they're worth jack shit.[/QUOTE]

I remember a dollar store not too far from me a few months after that issues got released had around 200 copies for 50 cents each. I swear they still have most of them marked down to FREE when they closed shop a few years ago. :lol:

if they do it they need to do something unexpected. no one of his villans should be the one to kill him if anything either have him commit suicide ( seriously the guys got enough issues to do it) or have him die in an accident. or have him pretend to be dead only to have really taken over for rahs al ghoul and over time become evil.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I like Kyle Rayner, but Hal Jordan is the original and the better character of the two. I loved it when they brought Hal Jordan back, not only just because he was back, but the way they did it. Geoff Johns is a genius. He has provided some of the absolute best Green Lantern story arcs i've ever seen. Sinestro corps war, yellow rings, parasites, etc. Awesome.[/quote]
Alan Scott was the original GL.

It must be hard keeping it fresh.

Are any superheroes going to enter the public domain anytime soon. Captain America must be getting up there in years...

I have the death of superman graphic novel. I bought it only because I hate superman and wanted to see him die. I was in I think 2nd grade when it came out so that would have been around 92 or 93 I think. In fourth grade my teacher wrote 2 books on it because they let us read comics to count as our books we had to read during the school year. It was around 10 comics or so were worth 1 book. I remember when buying it I got it in the magazeen racks at I think Venture and my mom was trying to get me to get just one or 2 of the regular comics. I stood my ground and got the graphic novel though. I wanted to get the one where batman got his back borke but that was also because I was a batman fan and thought if he is dead it would be nice to have the last comic he would be in. Then found out he was still alive. I don't even know where my death of superman graphic novel is at now.

[quote name='coolsteel']I don't remember Batman being killed off much, out of the "Trinity" he hasn't gone through the whole death and rebirth thing. Superman bought it, Wonder Woman too, Batman got a broken back. As it is I think just about everyone knows this isn't permanent but it is fun sometimes to mix it up. I still prefer Kyle Rayner to Hal Jordan.[/quote]

There is at least one instance in which Batman has 'died'. It was during a JLA arc in which the JLA time-traveled to prerecorded times and took on a JLA-like team (who prompted decimated the JLA since they thought the JLA were the harbingers of doom prophecied to destroy them). This ancient League had some really cool characters including an Incan in battle armor, an Atlantean sorceress & a Hebrew golem. I think it happened around JLA #69-80 or so.

[quote name='jaykrue']There is at least one instance in which Batman has 'died'. It was during a JLA arc in which the JLA time-traveled to prerecorded times and took on a JLA-like team (who prompted decimated the JLA since they thought the JLA were the harbingers of doom prophecied to destroy them). This ancient League had some really cool characters including an Incan in battle armor, an Atlantean sorceress & a Hebrew golem. I think it happened around JLA #69-80 or so.[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember this, didn't the skeletons of the JLA start moving around or something?

[quote name='coolsteel']I vaguely remember this, didn't the skeletons of the JLA start moving around or something?[/quote]

Yeah. Basically the JLA were
killed in the past but their souls were transferred into their millenia-dead skeletons because the flavor-of-the-month villain was immune to attacks from living things. So the American Indian witch doctor Manitou Raven & Kyle Raynor got the idea that since living things couldn't do the job, then what about the undead? Of course, iirc, it was a spur of the moment plan and the JLA weren't immediately able to consent to the process. :)

The upset in my tone is not about the fact that they're killing him and bringing him back again just to boost sales, it's that they do it so fucking often now.

He's not offically coming back yet. Until Batman: Rebirth or whatever is out, calm the fuck down and actually give it a shot and read it before going ballistic. That and other deaths and resurrections have been done very well in comics these past few years (Colossus, Bucky, Barry Allen, Hal Jordan).

Plus let's be honest, it's been teased for a loooong time that Batman has to give the mantle away sometime, so why the hell not? He's got 4 or 5 possible successors now.

[quote name='bardockkun']Who cares?

Dick Grayson will FINALLY be Batman and Bruce will come back as a Black Lantern, awesome all around.[/QUOTE]
Is this really happening? I know Nightwing is being cancelled, but I like Nightwing.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Is this really happening? I know Nightwing is being cancelled, but I like Nightwing.[/quote]
I Think all the Bat family titles are being cancelled or put on hiatus until after Battle for the Cowl is over. Though the Dick as Batman thing is just a guess, but really, who better? Love Dick Grayson as a character and I always feel he never got the respect he deserves as one of the oldest DC characters. Plus he WAS suppose to die in Infinite Crisis when he got shot, but the fan outcry got pissed beyong all hell when that was leaked so he was immediatly brought back to life. So I think safest choice as well in taking the mantle.

We all know he's going to be back, but I'm excited about someone else taking over the mantle of Batman. It's going to be a like a Batman year one. Also I always liked Batman Beyond.
I always thought it would be Tim Drake who would take over with all the forshadowing in Teen Titans.

Here's the problem with it: the fuckwits over at DC corporate are juggling the franchise between the incredibly successful movies and the printed monthly abortion that is the Batman comics and all the other abortion frappes they pass off as "Crisis-of-the-week". As a longtime reader of comics, this is what's upsetting, that they let idiots mishandle the intellectual properties to the point where they keep bringing long-dead characters back to life just to friggin kill them again. The "kill off a character temporarily" tactic actually has been done well these last few years, but only once in my opinion, and it wasn't the Colossus thing -- Joss Whedon needs to drink some draino for that abomination of a storyline.

The only time it's been done well in the last 5 years was in the pages of Daredevil -- when Brian Michael Bendis killed off The Kingpin for about 12 issues. It was conceived by Bendis to be temporary and it was written excellently and pulled off perfectly to reboot that character's bad-assness, which had waned a lot over the years.

What was wrong with Astonishing X-Men? The scene where Colossus runs pass Kitty and the look on her face of shake and her clenching her chest remains one of my favorite comic book moments ever. That and her saying he can't be alive because she scattered his ashes and his response was simply "Thank you" is to me, one of the better resurrections I've seen still because there's actual emotion to it.

Plus as said before, this is Bruce's first death and until he comes back (as anything BUT a Black Lantern), i'll reserve judgement. Until then, still tooting and waiting for Dick Grayson as Batman.

I really don't think Bruce Wayne is dead. There hasn't been much on hype around his death.
Darkseid as the ability to resurrect the dead if he kills them with his omega beams

[quote name='JolietJake']Alan Scott was the original GL.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but that was an entire separate universe until it was retconned into an awkward single continuity. That 'magic' approach to Green Lantern, while being the first by a couple decades, is so far removed from the stuff started in the late 50s as to require a special separation from what most people think of as Green Lantern. This is why they took to calling him Sentinel for a while. Just to pretend that pesky stuff never happened.

Apparently Wally West is being made to retire so as to allow Barry Allen to be the main Flash again. Which makes me wonder about the Titans book where West also appears. It's just like a big corporate exec being forced to resign, with his excuse being a desire to spend more time with his family. But since the newly restored main Flash is an uncle by marriage to Wally's kids, how far is he really going to be to get from the superhero world, which the kids are already part of and probably wondering when they get to start a new Young Justice while waiting to be old enough for the Teen Titans.

So far, I'm really not digging the stuff coming out of Final Crisis.

[quote name='camoor']It must be hard keeping it fresh.

Are any superheroes going to enter the public domain anytime soon. Captain America must be getting up there in years...[/QUOTE]

Doesn't work that way. So long as a publisher actively produces a version of a character to appear once a year or so, they can retain copyright on the character's name. This is why there has been a parade of Spider-woman characters over the years. Only one of them could manage to hold down her own series for a few years but far more importantly to Marvel, it meant that nobody else could publish a Spider-woman character, at least not under that name.

This is why some characters can never stay dead or somebody else will adopt their name within a year of the last time the killed character appears on a cover. You may have noticed that flashbacks featuring such characters can seem forced into the story. Maintaining the copyright!

So don't be surprised if the new Captain America regularly has flashbacks of his days as Bucky with a depiction on the cover. And eventually gets his own sidekick using the Bucky name.

[quote name='lokizz']if they do it they need to do something unexpected. no one of his villans should be the one to kill him if anything either have him commit suicide ( seriously the guys got enough issues to do it) or have him die in an accident. or have him pretend to be dead only to have really taken over for rahs al ghoul and over time become evil.[/QUOTE]

Or have him die in combat against a villain who is normally completely out of league but had earlier committed a murder and foolishly left behind usable portions of a weapon that would also work against someone of his stature?

I think they've got something like that in mind.

It's kind of reminiscent of the Ultimate Nullifier ploy. With it, you can take down Galactus butonly if you also die in the process.

^^^^Ain't against the law to reply to everyone in one post. Sheesh.

But really, this is obviously setting up the return of Jean-Paul Valley - the one, true Batman. Right?

the best batman "death" is in Dark Knight Returns, IMO. that was an amazing climax to a great battle with superman.

[quote name='KaneRobot']^^^^Ain't against the law to reply to everyone in one post. Sheesh.

[/QUOTE]

Nor is it a requirement. Get over it. You sound like a Usenet whiner who required everyone to treat his beliefs on post protocol as the word of God. It was stupid martinet behavior 20 years ago and remains that way today.

Damn, did they forget what a mess the whole Jean Paul Valley as Wolverine in Batman armor was? Anything like this with Batman is tip-toeing on ice.

[quote name='bardockkun']What was wrong with Astonishing X-Men?[/quote]

I agree that the emotional stuff behind the characters in that story arc was more informed than comic books usually contain. The big problem I have with bringing back the dead every single time they're killed off is the complete negation of the seriousness in killing them in the first place. Just read this thread; everyone here *KNOWS* that Batman will be back. And even a "B" list character like Dick Grayson (beloved though he may be from his Robin and Teen Titan days) can be revived.

When Alan Moore wrote The Killing Joke, it was under contract that they would allow the changes he made to characters to stay that way forever. He probably had to submit his ideas and get them approved, but anyone who knows what he did to Barbara Gordon in that story knows that it was friggin' serious and had long-term impact on The Joker's character, Batgirl, Batman, and the whole Gotham-DC Universe.

So, really, killing someone off just gives DC or Marvel the opportunity to bring in their latest a-hole writer like Joss Whedon or Jeph Loeb (with Hush, as mentioned in a previous thread) to come in and undo the light, airy death of the month.

I'm calling this out for what it is: Deathsploitation!!!

Epo's posts are worth more than the LCD's they're rendered on. He can make as many as he wants.
[quote name='KaneRobot']^^^^Ain't against the law to reply to everyone in one post. Sheesh.

But really, this is obviously setting up the return of Jean-Paul Valley - the one, true Batman. Right?[/quote]

So... this may not be the best place to ask, but you're all comic nerds. The Green Lantern can control anything green, right? Could he effortlessly kill/control the Hulk? Could he be stabbed to death with a yellow crayon?

[quote name='Kayden']
So... this may not be the best place to ask, but you're all comic nerds. The Green Lantern can control anything green, right? Could he effortlessly kill/control the Hulk? Could he be stabbed to death with a yellow crayon?[/quote]
First off a Green Lantern can not use lethal force unless being attacked or provoked by a Sinestro Corp member. Second, no he can not control the Hulk, maybe restrain his movements at best like in a prison, but Hulk being Hulk (and one of the strongest in the universe) there's no way a single Lantern can contain his willpower/rage. Also since the whole Parallax thing, Green Lantern's no longer have a weakness toward yellow and even if they did, it would have same normal effect as a regular crayon.

Oh... interesting.

I wish I had the patience to read comics. I don't feel like trying to find 80 years of comics to know what's going on. Then there's the whole * thing where I'm supposed to but another comic to know what they mentioned in one bubble, but then I have to read the whole backlog for that one comic to make sense... It's much easier to just wish I read comics than to actually do it.

[quote name='Kayden']Oh... interesting.

I wish I had the patience to read comics. I don't feel like trying to find 80 years of comics to know what's going on. Then there's the whole * thing where I'm supposed to but another comic to know what they mentioned in one bubble, but then I have to read the whole backlog for that one comic to make sense... It's much easier to just wish I read comics than to actually do it.[/quote]
Or you can always Wiki to get basics and start reading comics or get on a good jumping on point or start with some trades. I Say this because Green Lantern right now is easily one of the best comics out right now.

Yea, I lost a whole day reading wikipedia articles on super heros... It just isn't the same. I know there is an anthology for the Spawn comics. Is there anything like that?

Comic companies should get with the times. Offer back issues in pdf format in bundles for a few bucks.

Usually around 25, 50 and 75 issues or before a big event they do a catch up comic so you get whats going on before the event happens so people can jump on board. Other then that closest thing I can think of is the Omnibus editions that Marvel releases, other then that, really just trades and hardcovers for catch up.

[quote name='Kayden']Yea, I lost a whole day reading wikipedia articles on super heros... It just isn't the same. I know there is an anthology for the Spawn comics. Is there anything like that?

Comic companies should get with the times. Offer back issues in pdf format in bundles for a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

I was away from comics for a long time, and I just picked up all of the Geoff Johns Green Lantern trades (from instocktrades.com), and bought the last 2 issues at my local shop, and I'm now capable of catching up and then reading monthly. Awesome stuff so far, and I haven't even gotten to the Sinestro Corps War yet (should be cracking that open in the next day or two). Only problem with this is that the last 3 trades that you need are only available in hardcover at the moment, so it can be a bit pricy.

bread's done
Back