DC turning Promiment Male Superhero Gay in June

[quote name='confoosious']I love Green Lantern but if they were gonna do this, they should've just made Hal Jordan gay.[/QUOTE]
Then that would've made the nearly recent series long run on his relationship with Carol Ferris stretched out and pointless. With it FINALLY culminating to admitting that he has feelings for her and is willing to have a committed relationship with her. That and Hal gets enough pussy as it is.

Also Hal Jordan fans suffer enough what with him having his home town destroyed, to going insane from an ancient alien parasite and becoming a villain and dying, yeah. They don't need more out of fucking no where characterizations.

[quote name='bardockkun']Really? Jon Stewart was my other top pick, because of his many identity crisis' and the fact he hasn't had a love interest in years. Guy at least has Ice.[/QUOTE]

Stewart would have been a good pick. I had Gardner because I always thought he was overcompensating. Plus, just look at him.

Part of the reasoning behind this is Alan Scott had a gay son in the comic books before the reboot. But when they rebooted the universe, Alan Scott became a young guy on Earth 2 and the characters that were his children ceased to exist. So the writer thought, well, why not make Alan Scott gay since everything is being rebooted anyway. Apparently races and genders of other Earth 2 characters might change as well since everything is rebooted. So it wasn't about just picking any Green Lantern to be gay. Besides, it doesn't make sense to make the other Green Lanterns or Batman gay since they weren't rebooted for the most part. (Alan Scott doesn't really fall in with the modern Green Lanterns and he's on Earth 2 anyway.)

It's not like this matters at all. Sales will be up for 2-4 months then fall off when people realize that the series isn't that great. Besides, Kat Kane in Batwoman is a lesbian, so I don't see the big deal here. And Batwoman has been one of the best New 52 books until the recent two months.

[quote name='bardockkun']Then that would've made the nearly recent series long run on his relationship with Carol Ferris stretched out and pointless. With it FINALLY culminating to admitting that he has feelings for her and is willing to have a committed relationship with her. That and Hal gets enough pussy as it is.

Also Hal Jordan fans suffer enough what with him having his home town destroyed, to going insane from an ancient alien parasite and becoming a villain and dying, yeah. They don't need more out of fucking no where characterizations.[/QUOTE]

I know it makes no sense. I'm just saying that DC should've just really taken a risk instead of this Earth 2 bullshit. No casual comic fan thinks of Green Lantern as "iconic" unless it's Hal.

Although, come to think of it, I've known some pussy hounds that come out as gay later on in life. You know, the whole, overcompensating and denial thing.

[quote name='bardockkun']Really? Jon Stewart was my other top pick, because of his many identity crisis' and the fact he hasn't had a love interest in years. Guy at least has Ice.[/QUOTE]

i thought kyle rayner would have been the best pick for a gay lantern especially with him being able to control and use all the ring types ( diff colors...rainbows) or if they really wanted to flip people out make killowog gay.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Exactly.

"Lesser" and "Safest".

So much for that giant headline DC.[/QUOTE]

Was there any doubt it would be anything but? DC likes being able to grab the headlines, but they're not going to do something risky that could potentially alienate a lot of fans.

Of course, I sort of wonder how many news sites that really aren't familiar with the comics are just going to report this as "Green Lantern announced as new gay character!" and confuse the hell out of everyone.

[quote name='lokizz']i thought kyle rayner would have been the best pick for a gay lantern especially with him being able to control and use all the ring types ( diff colors...rainbows) or if they really wanted to flip people out make killowog gay.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but instead they made it the Green Lantern who (here comes the joke that's probably been driven into the ground since the rumor) had a weakness to WOOD.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Yeah, but instead they made it the Green Lantern who (here comes the joke that's probably been driven into the ground since the rumor) had a weakness to WOOD.[/QUOTE]

lmao "ahhh your wood penetrated my defenses do with me what you will you brute". im sure its all about money but id love to know why they even felt the need to do this shit. why not put more work or attention to already known gay characters that are out in the dc universe instead of trying to force one?

heres to hoping they dont go the daken route but at least daken eventually died.

then again it could work if they go the flaming gay route. like someone mentioned he could make sexually suggestive light constructs maybe even create a green light dj and disco ball. just camp it up but be prepared for the outrage.

[quote name='lokizz']maybe green arrow or swamp thing.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking Green Arrow for a while now since they're coming out with a movie for him sometime in the future and he's not really a big character in the DC universe and they will want to generate buzz so more people will go and watch the movie. I just hope whatever character they make gay they don't turn into a flaming homosexual. I think they can get away with closet gay but if you turn him into a character from queer eye for the straight guy then that is going to hurt his image and his profitability.

[quote name='grandpied']I've been thinking Green Arrow for a while now since they're coming out with a movie for him sometime in the future and he's not really a big character in the DC universe and they will want to generate buzz so more people will go and watch the movie. I just hope whatever character they make gay they don't turn into a flaming homosexual. I think they can get away with closet gay but if you turn him into a character from queer eye for the straight guy then that is going to hurt his image and his profitability.[/QUOTE]

It's already official - it's Alan Scott the original Green Lantern, currently part of the Earth 2 universe.

Also, it's a Green Arrow TV series.

And Green Arrow has had a long off and on relationship with Black Canary anyway.

I think they should have picked Guy.

I'm against Stewart only because then people would be like, oh so the black Green Lantern is gay.

[quote name='elessar123']I think they should have picked Guy.

I'm against Stewart only because then people would be like, oh so the black Green Lantern is gay.[/QUOTE]
When he was first written he was a black man who loved Barbara Streisand. Then they kept changing his character around and it wasn't until the Justice League cartoon where they decided they were going to follow the lead of the cartoon and make him a hard ass military type. Though it doesn't matter, because I can't unread him as a man with an afro listening to Babs.

DC screwed up Green Lantern in the public sense.

• First DC introduced John Stewart as the GL headlining the JL cartoon shows. That didn't please long time GL readers of the 80's - 90's who knew Hal Jordan was the main GL. The DC producer even admit they did it because they wanted to be politically correct and have ethnic diversity in the JL. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275137/faq#.2.1.7

• Ten years later, DC made the switch for a GL movie based on Hal Jordan. That in turn didn't please long time watchers of the JL cartoon show who had watched John Stewart for years. It didn't help DC that the GL movie flopped in the box office too.

• Now they make a GL character gay. Despite it being Alan Scott whom no one in the general public really knows. And they did this because they just wanted to be politically correct like they did 10 years ago with John Stewart, but this time politically correct with sexual orientation.

All this do not mean anything to the comic readers.

But to the general public, it's just a complete mess!

[quote name='HanawayCoca']DC screwed up Green Lantern in the public sense.

• First DC introduced John Stewart as the GL headlining the JL cartoon shows. That didn't please long time GL readers of the 80's - 90's who knew Hal Jordan was the main GL. The DC producer even admit they did it because they wanted to be politically correct and have ethnic diversity in the JL. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0275137/faq#.2.1.7

• Ten years later, DC made the switch for a GL movie based on Hal Jordan. That in turn didn't please long time watchers of the JL cartoon show who had watched John Stewart for years. It didn't help DC that the GL movie flopped in the box office too.

• Now they make a GL character gay. Despite it being Alan Scott whom no one in the general public really knows. And they did this because they just wanted to be politically correct like they did 10 years ago with John Stewart, but this time politically correct with sexual orientation.

All this do not mean anything to the comic readers.

But to the general public, it's just a complete mess![/QUOTE]

Also Ryan Reynolds

I thought Ryan Reynolds played a good Hal Jordan. You can't blame the laziness and incoherence of the script and poor CG work on the actors, who I thought did a good job working with a terrible script.

[quote name='GhostShark']I thought Ryan Reynolds played a good Hal Jordan. You can't blame the laziness and incoherence of the script and poor CG work on the actors, who I thought did a good job working with a terrible script.[/QUOTE]

He always has terrible scripts...which makes me think it's not the script.

[quote name='dohdough']Guy Gardner?[/QUOTE]
The implications of that could be quite...entertaining.:rofl:

Seriously though, if they wanted to do this and actually make it relevant, it should have been Rayner. Yeah I know he's had relationships with female characters, oh well.

This is just odd, quite odd. Obviously there is nothing against gay people or whatever, but why do superheroes need to be rebooted as gay? Wasn't Spider Man in one of the comics changed to a Mexican gay guy? Come on, going a little overboard to try to desperately appeal to...I guess the gay market...

It's less about appealing to any one group and more about desperately trying to grab headlines. But you do have to give it to DC...they got the headlines they wanted. My mother asked me today, "Green Lantern is gay???" For whatever reason, people are talking about this, even though, as many others have already pointed out, they have already been a number of openly gay superheroes, even "prominent" DC characters, like Batwoman and Renee Montoya, who, as The Question, played a pretty big role in Final Crisis.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's less about appealing to any one group and more about desperately trying to grab headlines. But you do have to give it to DC...they got the headlines they wanted. My mother asked me today, "Green Lantern is gay???" For whatever reason, people are talking about this, even though, as many others have already pointed out, they have already been a number of openly gay superheroes, even "prominent" DC characters, like Batwoman and Renee Montoya, who, as The Question, played a pretty big role in Final Crisis.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why people would be so bored/nerdy to be interested in this stuff anyway. Who cares if a fictional comic book character is gay or not, it makes no difference in anyone's lives.

Not to mention most people who aren't into comics have no idea who the hell Alan Scott even is. They hear Green Lantern and think of the Ryan Reynolds movie.

[quote name='elessar123']He always has terrible scripts...which makes me think it's not the script.[/QUOTE]

Totally.

Hannibal King was an unknown but fun side character before RR made him into a steroids-addled wise-cracking tool.

A Deadpool character/movie spin-off could have been interesting in the hands of another actor but someone who doesn't understand comics cast RR in the role.

And now Green Lantern - how many comic book characters will he have to fuck up before people just start keeping their IPs locked safely away?

[quote name='camoor']A Deadpool character/movie spin-off could have been interesting in the hands of another actor but someone who doesn't understand comics cast RR in the role.[/QUOTE]

But Deadpool is a wise cracking character. How did he screw up that role?

[quote name='blindinglights']But Deadpool is a wise cracking character. How did he screw up that role?[/QUOTE]

You didn't watch Wolverine?

Yeah not to mention Chris Evans was given two comic book characters with mediocre dialog and he still managed to turn in a quality performance for both.

Ryan Reynolds should stick to costarring in crappy romantic comedies that I will never see.

[quote name='elessar123']He always has terrible scripts...which makes me think it's not the script.[/QUOTE]
lmao hes shit hands down but then the scripts are to blame as well like him being deadpool fuck to be honest damn near everyone in that wolverine movie was poorly cast and done.

instead of finding the right person for these roles they always try to shoehorn in pretty boys and hott tang to fill in roles. Scarlett johansen shouldnt have been black widow. shes an eternally hott piece of smurf id love to smurf in the smurf till the smurf comes up but shes a shit actress.

[quote name='Clak']Not to mention most people who aren't into comics have no idea who the hell Alan Scott even is. They hear Green Lantern and think of the Ryan Reynolds movie.[/QUOTE]

Whether it was intentional or not, them picking Alan Scott for this has worked for them. Because no one knows who Alan Scott is, a lot of people are just hearing "Green Lantern is gay."

[quote name='elessar123']You didn't watch Wolverine?[/QUOTE]

Who would you rather have as Deadpool?

I'm not a fan of Ryan Reynolds because I think he's a one trick pony (and
I had the extreme displeasure of seeing that fucking terrible movie he did where he was trapped in a box
), but I just didn't understand what was wrong with him as Deadpool. How Deadpool was used in that movie was stupid, but I don't see where that had anything to do with the actor.

[quote name='blindinglights']How Deadpool was used in that movie was stupid, but I don't see where that had anything to do with the actor.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's mostly true.

It's an ok cast. Unlike Venom.

bread's done
Back