DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

The 30-day trial starts AFTER you finish downloading that 14GB patch right?

After your 30-day trial ends, how many MONTHS will you guys still be playing?

Tough to forsee continuing to pay $15 a month for DC Universe Online when so many other good games like:

"Dead Space 2"
"Little Big Planet 2"
"Dragon Age II"
"Marvel vs Capcom 3"
"Bulletstorm"
"Killzone 3"

... all coming out next week and into next month.

Also, not familiar with MMO games, but I sometimes like to re-play older games in my collection (Halo 3 ODST, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, etc.)...

But what happens say a year from now when you want to re-play DCUO? Don't know if I would want to pay another $15 just so that I could re-play it after a year or so. Otherwise, this would just basically be a dead game sitting in my shelf that is unplayable if I don't have my monthly subscription.

the thing with MMOs is you are really never "replaying" anything. Most MMOs update every week to 2 weeks. Thats new content every few weeks.

The way you build your character is MMOs means at each level (or few) you gain access to new areas. The stronger you get, the stronger the foes you want to encounter as they generally give you the best experience.

About the only thing you could consider as "replaying" would be grinding either for EXP, money, or trying to get a specific drop from a boss/area.

MMOs are designed to be played for months, if not years at a time

[quote name='kurrptsenate']i dont even know what those are :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]
The ps3 collectors edition comes with a 10day trial code you can give to a friend.

Well if CAG does create a league (PS3), I'll join if it's not on No Man's Land server since I'm already part of a league on there.

What are the different servers? Any difference in content between them?

I bit the bullet and got it today. Got the 30 day trial and will hopefully like it enough. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have played Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect but I know this is a different animal.

So how many characters can you create with one account? On beta I created three just to test out different powers and being hero and villain but wonder if they put some restriction on retail ones. And that I know you get to play Batman, as part of pre-order thing, but do we get to play as Superman and Green Lantern?

[quote name='DoubleJG']I'll be playing this, hopefully day 1 since I get it for free. I can safely tell you all that the retail client (at least for the PS3 version, seeing how I was testing that) rarely, if ever, crashes or locks up. It had quite a few crashing problems in the beginning as many of you on the public beta have experienced, but the retail game is much more fine-tuned. I'd assume, and hope, that the same can be said for the PC version.[/QUOTE]

Do you have to pay monthly fee too? :D

the initial download is 11.4 gigs......

yea, a good deal of information. im going evil on the first server (non-pvp server)

im starting a league with my brother and 2 good friends. lemme know if anyone is interested

edit : there is a monthly fee of 14.99. the first month is free btw

The initial download for the beta took hours upon hours for me. Just out of curiosity, how long is it taking you guys to download and install everything, both in general as well as in comparison to the beta download?

im currently at %95 and its been 34 min. I'm also looking for friends to play with, i going to be on probably all night trying to advance. my psn id is phillyphill

now im on the 2nd download

[quote name='Matt Young']The initial download for the beta took hours upon hours for me. Just out of curiosity, how long is it taking you guys to download and install everything, both in general as well as in comparison to the beta download?[/QUOTE]

It took me about 2 hours from the time I put the disc in to when I got into the game. It may have took a little longer since my wife was also on the computer about half of the time, but it didn't take as long as I expected.

EDIT: I'll create another thread for the league

Last edited by a moderator:
It took about an hour for it to load for me last night. I spent about an hour creating my character....wasn't 100% happy with him but he'll do for now.

For my 1st MMO experience....I loved it. Played for about 5 hours and the only problem I had was that for about the last hour, I wasn't getting any sound when Superman was giving me a briefing on new missions. It was time to hit the sack so it worked out.

I am looking forward to immersing myself in this game for the next few weeks. Wife's going to hate it cause she normally likes playing XBOX with me when the kids go down.

Install took about 2-2.5 hours for me, which isn't bad at all. Took about 30 mins to create my character and all that good stuff. I decided to go the "create from scratch" route instead of picking an "influenced by" like I did in beta. There are a TON of new options in the create a character now! Played through the initial mission because it was time to get to bed for work in the morning. I picked something different than what I picked for the beta and I can definitely see the re-playability of this game with different characters. Each persona or influence contains different missions and I'm enjoying that a ton. I picked a server with a lot of people on it so I can get some help while doing missions.

I won't be on tonight due to a busy night, but I will be on tomorrow to get some time in. This game may become my #1 played game this year.

Is there a way to send a free trial to friends? I want to try this game, but I don't want to invest $60 into a game I may not like

[quote name='Gden']Is there a way to send a free trial to friends? I want to try this game, but I don't want to invest $60 into a game I may not like[/QUOTE]

Don't you need the physical disk to play?

[quote name='thunder_gamer']So how many characters can you create with one account? On beta I created three just to test out different powers and being hero and villain but wonder if they put some restriction on retail ones. And that I know you get to play Batman, as part of pre-order thing, but do we get to play as Superman and Green Lantern?

Do you have to pay monthly fee too? :D[/QUOTE]

16 characters total.

I really want to jump into this game but the price tag is shaking me. Sigh, I wish the game itself was a little cheaper so I didnt have to pay the price of a full game (actual use up some of my deals) to get it.

Argh, need some solid reviews or something.

You'll have to wait awhile for a good review on the game. MMO reviews aren't like standard game reviews. There is constantly new content being added/unlocked, so it's kind of hard to play it for a weekend and give a fair assessment of the game.

Just played this game for 4 hours straight. Seems to be more polished then the beta.

Only thing i hate so far is that no one talks on the ps3 version...but that could be because im still low level.

For a console mmo, this game is grade A++

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Just played this game for 4 hours straight. Seems to be more polished then the beta.

Only thing i hate so far is that no one talks on the ps3 version...but that could be because im still low level.

For a console mmo, this game is grade A++[/QUOTE]

Yea it's an amazing game so far. I think it's more appealing to me than WoW, which I still play. The character design, world, enemies, etc, are simply fantastic. It's like living out a childhood dream.

I actually didn't know if I could use the mic or not. Good news!

Last night was pretty epic I must say....

My brother and I stood outside of a "spawn point" last night with our PvP flags on. The two of us must have killed at least 20 some odd enemy players. I was only lvl 11 and my bro was 15, but we made quick work of level 20s and others there were fairly high. Decent experience was earned as well (think about 120 for killing a hero)

It took a while for me to get the mic situation sorted out for everyone that I group with, but I think I finally have a fool-proof method down if anyone is having trouble getting chat to work.

I had a blast last night, even though I wanted to play it the night before, but it installed the entire time.

I wish there were more people talking, or that I could group up with somone who did talk.

Finished Scarecrow before I got off, and enjoyed the entire 3.5 hours I played. Can't wait to get off work and play more.

anyone playin on the killing joke server??? Add me psn is dre297 i am level 11 hero name is vangaurd

Does anyone have any pre-order bonuses that they don't want? The collector in my can't resist. I'd be willing to PayPal you cash. PM me and we can work something out.

I'm looking for:
Joker's Confetti Bomb (GameStop)
Joker's Trick Pistol (Wal-Mart)
Lexcorp Kryptonite Blaster (Target)
Scarecrow's Screamer (Fry's)
Bladed Batarang (Best Buy)

Does anyone know if they Fry's code is a pack-in or not?

I played the Beta..............

"Subscriptions and Micro Transactions
The revenue model will be subscription based, with a monthly fee of $14.99 per month. DC Universe Online will also support micro-transactions

No discounts for PS+ users.
"

I don't need WOW on my PS3. I'll be passing on this money sucker. Too bad as it seemed like it could be fun.

It's an MMO, they live and die via monthly fees. I cant stress this enough as it's something console users dont seem to understand, but that monthly fee goes to server costs as well as additional development of content. MMO's ARE NOT your typical game that is a one and done project with a few batches of DLC. New content is constantly being developed and added to the game.

That said, charging a monthly fee PLUS adding micro-transactions in the future is lame as hell. It's one or the other, not both.

[quote name='SEH']That said, charging a monthly fee PLUS adding micro-transactions in the future is lame as hell. It's one or the other, not both.[/QUOTE]

I would assume the micro-transactions will be vanity stuff like the pets and mounts in WoW. Guess we'll find out eventually.

Props to guy HERE who shared this. You can get free unique items for PC/PS3 over the next couple of weeks using Facebook. Which you can set up a new/dummy account and get the codes via their web app. Might need to use IE to get it to work right, but I just got my code for the 1st item.

http://www.facebook.com/DCUniverseOnlin ... 1943059321

I think that link will work otherwise go to the official facebook page for DCUO. If you use the app, change your profile pic, this week you'll get catwoman claws. Next week do it again, and you get another weapon. Do it a total of 3 weeks and you get a mystery ingame item. I just did it and got my claws.

It's suppose to send you an email after your change your profile page. I never got mine, but when I went back to the app, a code was there for me under the catwoman claw image.

You have to use the facebook app and follow the instructions fully to get the reward.

3f2749ef35cf0580ae43a7f166e277f5.jpg

e7e4da65c00edbc7633f899752bdc4d9.jpg

5d50c657fbe6224ede02add2800b3386.jpg

[quote name='LXL_Guy']16 characters total.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer. Guess I still might pass due to that I barely play PS3 these couple weeks, might pick it up when the game gets cheaper.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Props to guy HERE who shared this. You can get free unique items for PC/PS3 over the next couple of weeks using Facebook. Which you can set up a new/dummy account and get the codes via their web app. Might need to use IE to get it to work right, but I just got my code for the 1st item.

3f2749ef35cf0580ae43a7f166e277f5.jpg

e7e4da65c00edbc7633f899752bdc4d9.jpg

5d50c657fbe6224ede02add2800b3386.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Is it just me or doesn't that character look like the lead characters from the Assassin's Creed games with Wolverine's claws? And what's with the wings?

By the way, I wonder if anyone has created an El Hoardo villain as of yet. It'd be classic if someone made one with a 'Haters Gonna Hate' t shirt that's 3 sizes too small for them.;)

thanks for sharing that, gonna unlock all the items throughout the weeks.

Im loving this game, did my first group instance last night, got a epic drop of a chest piece.

So what's everyones thoughts on this so far? I'm debating picking this up in the b2g1 best buy deal. I've played WoW since release so how does the questing, combat, playing on ps3, and overall experience compare? I've also played Warhammer and Aion as well and thought that both wore out their welcome way too quick.

bread's done
Back