DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

[quote name='cheap from birth']the patch nerfed the skill points and it still freezes :([/QUOTE]

The max level (at least starting out) is 30 and people hit 20 in what... a week or so? I think deepening the mix in the feat system is a good call.

What kind of connection speed do you have?

[quote name='NamPaehc']The max level (at least starting out) is 30 and people hit 20 in what... a week or so? I think deepening the mix in the feat system is a good call.

What kind of connection speed do you have?[/QUOTE]

it makes sense but still .. i want my pts back :twoguns:

i honestly couldn't give a number for my speed but ive never had an issue with an online game before

the game would freeze on me once in a while pre patch and now its every dam session. annoying

I heard there was a patch today anyone know what it fixed I hope it caught some of the freeze bugs

Looks like they're sticking with Jan 11 as a release day, which is only three weeks away. Link

Unless there's a 13th hour delay, I could see this game falling victim to the same folly that has killed a good number of other MMO's - being buggy at release, causing gamers to lose interest quickly, thus fading into obscurity rather fast. The game just doesn't seem ready yet.

Don't forget that the beta builds aren't necessarily the latest builds. The last update on the PC update the UI which looks and works a lot better. Also there is separate beta for PC users that has level 30 unlocked, so I'm sure they have more content then we do too.

With that though, I'm guessing launch day is going to be spent downloading a huge patch right out the gate regardless.

I don't see this January release working out too well for them, what with Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2 coming out right around the same time.

They need to get rid of the freezing and drop the price to $10/month. The freezing is significant in that it happens often and seems to be happening to quite a lot of people. It's glitchy stuff like that that's kept me away from Fallout New Vegas.

Admittedly, though, I am enjoying the beta more than I thought I would. Definitely not feeling the $15/month though.

I had fun with the Beta pre patch and now its not playable post patch. Im done with the Beta. The freezing post patch is unbearable. 2 minutes in and it locks up :/

I hope for those that buy the game its stable and all these bugs and glitches are just in the Beta and not the final release. If they had a lifetime plan for consoles i would think about signing up .. big maybe though

Man i want this game to work!!!!! Yes the freezing got worse after the patch and the little tweaks they added don't justify the 3gig download so I'm scared. I'm not even an MMO fan but I think when it works it is great, I am actually hoping for a psn+ discount or 3/6/12 month cards. As it stands I'm going to keep an eye on the future updates (jan release) and then make a decision. I will probably see if there will be a ps3 community at all before dropping the cash.

The downloading is taking too long :"(..
@mykee98 About your avatar, what was the series called again? thanks

[quote name='Count']The downloading is taking too long :"(..
@mykee98 About your avatar, what was the series called again? thanks[/QUOTE]

code monkeys

Man I can't enter some buildings to complete quests. I just get stuck in limbo.

I find the beta fun, but I'm getting bored of it. I think I'll be passing on this at release. Maybe eventually I'll get it if it's still around.

[quote name='mykee98']code monkeys

Man I can't enter some buildings to complete quests. I just get stuck in limbo.[/QUOTE]

Same thing is happening with me. It's frustrating. It happened post patch when I tried to do the Parasite/Power girl mission, and now it's happening more often usually just trying to enter a safehouse.

I want to really like this game, but it's the bugs that are killing all interest I have in it. I should not have a game freeze on me 3-4 times in two hours.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Same thing is happening with me. It's frustrating. It happened post patch when I tried to do the Parasite/Power girl mission, and now it's happening more often usually just trying to enter a safehouse.

I want to really like this game, but it's the bugs that are killing all interest I have in it. I should not have a game freeze on me 3-4 times in two hours.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me on the safehouses. And there's two missions in gotham dealing with the joker's funhouse and one of the police buildings. I was about to go back to a safehouse to repair my gear, knowing it would do it anyway, but it decided to freeze on me before I got there. Before the patch this wasn't happening as much, but it seems Metropolis freezes more than Gotham. Too bad the only missions I need to finish are the ones that I can't get into. :bomb:

SOE developer addresses launch concerns.

Sony Online Entertainment announced earlier today that its newest MMO DC Universe Online is going to launch on January 11th, 2011. Originally slated to release in November, the game is stepping into territory that no MMO has tread before. First, it's an action-MMO -- although it's not the first, it's still one of the few. Secondly, the game is tackling the much-loved DC Comics Universe. Lastly, the title is launching on both a PC and console (PS3) platform at the same time.

The developers at DCUO are very excited about new territory, as are many of the fans. Creative Director Jens Andersen and Game Director Chris Cao have been very quick to answer fans questions regarding plans and hopes for this innovation in the gaming industry -- in fact, Chris Cao even answered a few questions for us in response to reader concerns in our comments.

Follow after the break to as we ask him about the current state and the future of DCUO! To the Batcave!

Massively: Can you tell the fans what your top priorities are from now until release?

Chris Cao: Reacting to the final major beta feedback issues is our number one priority. We're making massive strides in smashing "freezes"/crashes, improving font readability, and fixing UI bugs. We've also extensively reworked and rebalanced our endgame to require greater group tactics, reward role expertise, and deliver a new level of multiplayer action. Finally, we've added a lot of new PvE and PvP "tween" game content and rewards for solo players at max level.

One of the features we have been most impressed with is the voiceover work. You have some amazing talent there, yet there are still some voices that appear to be placeholders. Are we going to see full professional voiceover in the game when it's released?

Rest assured, the thousands of cast members in the game are now fully voiced by professional actors. We're tracking down the last few placeholder voices now, but for launch, every piece of content in the game, from missions to investigations to raids, will be professionally voiced.

We know from the DCUO forums that there have been suggestions regarding the chat system -- for instance, chat bubbles, tabs, and different colorization. What fixes or additions should we expect from the chat system?

The social UI is going through a rigorous round of bug fixing as we speak. Players can currently create new tabs and apply custom colors to chat, but it isn't always clear how to do it. We're addressing that by not just fixing bugs but also improving usability across the board. For example, we've put in a quick menu that includes canned chat phrases, emotes, and lists of the combos you can perform. We want you to chat, socialize, and manage your Leagues with ease.

A few players in beta are questioning class balance and uniqueness. Are we going to see any class tweaks before January 11th?

We've made some significant changes to overall ability balance and role use. Specifically, we've altered how the Controller role functions so that it is now crucial in supplying power to the other members of the group or raid. We've modified all of the other roles to lean more heavily on this power supply and thus tightened up the role dependencies in multiplayer combat. Damage dealers also now need to make careful choices about which powers they use as well as manage their hit counters closely to maximize their dps. All in all, we are much happier with the changes and the challenge they bring to the end game, but jump in and try them out so that we can put the last touches on launch balance.

Is there anything specific that you can tell us about the future of the game? Are we going to penetrate Brainiac's bottles? Any name-drops for future heroes and villains? And how often can we expect content updates after the game is released?

DCUO is launching with a ton of endgame options. They range from the solo max-level factional content we've just added, to duo-mode instances, four-man alerts, and eight-man raids. There's also open-world PvP missions, Legends PvP and Arena PvP. On top of that, our Feats system gives players achievements that actually mean something. So you aren't only going after the very best gear (18 unique iconic battle suits), you're also working on alternate advancement to power your character up even more.

Every update, we'll be releasing more "tween" and endgame for you to play. More solo content, duos, alerts and raids are already being readied. We're working on new comic cut scenes to flesh out more and more characters in the DCUO. And we're going to keep advancing the story of Brainiac's apocalyptic invasion of Earth.

Thanks for your time, Chris!

i went back just to torture myself some more and see if the bugs were worked out but nope

Game is buggy as hell post patch. Froze on me trying to enter a safehouse. Horrible

[quote name='defmonkey05']Same thing with me on the safehouses. And there's two missions in gotham dealing with the joker's funhouse and one of the police buildings. I was about to go back to a safehouse to repair my gear, knowing it would do it anyway, but it decided to freeze on me before I got there. Before the patch this wasn't happening as much, but it seems Metropolis freezes more than Gotham. Too bad the only missions I need to finish are the ones that I can't get into. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I kept getting on last night to try and finish the joker missions. I restarted twice/got stuck couldn't move once. While searching for joker boxes (when I didn't freeze) to smash up, a Giant dancing joker came out and stunned me. Then my character started dancing and couldn't stop!!!! freaking hilarious..

I haven't played since the patch has been out. Even when I heard about it, I went to the official forum to see what others commented. The verdict from what I read was that the patch caused more harm than good regarding stability. I'm pretty much done with this due to all the freezing issues being reported.

I did notice that the game will freeze more often now after the 1.02 patch. Before, I could probably get 20 to 30 minutes before the game freezes, probably more on a good day, but now, it will freeze within 20 minutes or so.

[quote name='cheap from birth']haha i decided to update and once it installed my character was deleted :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. Does anyone else had this problem? I am not sure of patching it now that this might happen and I just got my character to level 11.

I think the game might receive another delay. If they cannot fix the freezing problem by the supposed release date, then they might delay it. Otherwise, who is going to buy a game at full price, or more if paying for Collector's Edition, and subscription fee if it keep freezing.

Hopefully everyone's PS3 can survive after all the freezing.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']I did notice that the game will freeze more often now after the 1.02 patch. Before, I could probably get 20 to 30 minutes before the game freezes, probably more on a good day, but now, it will freeze within 20 minutes or so.

Sorry to hear that. Does anyone else had this problem? I am not sure of patching it now that this might happen and I just got my character to level 11.

I think the game might receive another delay. If they cannot fix the freezing problem by the supposed release date, then they might delay it. Otherwise, who is going to buy a game at full price, or more if paying for Collector's Edition, and subscription fee if it keep freezing.

Hopefully everyone's PS3 can survive after all the freezing.[/QUOTE]

i keep getting dc with amessage saying i need to sign into psn or something even though i am and sometimes missions i accomplish dont seem to register.

To all of you playing DCUO on PS3 and constantly crashing, I can safely say that the build you are playing is NOT the latest build of the game. I work for SOE and have been play testing this game all week long. I feel your pain with the crashing. However, I experienced 0 crashes today while playing during a 4 hour period :). One of my co-workers did, however, experience one crash (I think, or maybe not). At the rate the QA team is going, the game will be crash-free by launch. :)

[quote name='DoubleJG']To all of you playing DCUO on PS3 and constantly crashing, I can safely say that the build you are playing is NOT the latest build of the game. I work for SOE and have been play testing this game all week long. I feel your pain with the crashing. However, I experienced 0 crashes today while playing during a 4 hour period :). One of my co-workers did, however, experience one crash (I think, or maybe not). At the rate the QA team is going, the game will be crash-free by launch. :)[/QUOTE]

I, for one, hope that they get the freezing/crashing problems fixed. We cannot properly test them when they keep crashing. Which, I am certain that those crashes are not really good for my PS3.:bomb:

I finally managed to patch and play my game again after 3 days of failures. I would continually get error messages, server down, etc.

I noticed quite a few changes, including all of my skill points being dropped/skills removed. Oh well.

I also can't seem to level past 7. The sewer challenge is freaking impossible for me...is that maybe why it's holding me to level 7?

Either way, I'm playing on PS3 and I'm having a load of fun. Today was the first time I had someone try to flirt with my avatar, so I got a good eye roll first thing in the morning. /Boys/.

ETA: I am enjoying Booster Gold very, very much however. His final voice actor is awesome--way better than that bored Southerner that was his placeholder. He's definitely the voice I imagine him having, or at least the enthusiasm and wit. "Gotham is definitely a dark and dismal place...hope you enjoyed touring it!"

Last edited by a moderator:
my character actually showed up this morning. maybe it was something with the server i dont know

anyway finally played more than a minute of the game before it crashed. i hope the crashing problems dont plague the final release .. i mean its about 2 weeks away.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']I, for one, hope that they get the freezing/crashing problems fixed. We cannot properly test them when they keep crashing. Which, I am certain that those crashes are not really good for my PS3.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

I am unaware of if the external beta gets patched or not, but I am hoping it does. The game is actually very fun when it's not crashing and locking up :lol:

@Fabricati, the most enjoyable aspect of this game (imo) is the voice acting. Be prepared for some very, very corny lines later on, especially when you tour the Hall of Doom :roll:. If you're still having trouble getting through the sewer (is it the quest where you are tracking down Bane?), trying bringing a friend along. I had quite a bit of trouble on part three or so of that mission set. I found the game to be much more doable and fun when playing in a group.

[quote name='DoubleJG']@Fabricati, the most enjoyable aspect of this game (imo) is the voice acting. Be prepared for some very, very corny lines later on, especially when you tour the Hall of Doom :roll:. If you're still having trouble getting through the sewer (is it the quest where you are tracking down Bane?), trying bringing a friend along. I had quite a bit of trouble on part three or so of that mission set. I found the game to be much more doable and fun when playing in a group.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten through that portion, but now I'm fighting Eddie and Ed or whomever...though I still can't get past level 7. My EXP bar is entirely full, but no matter how many brainiac accentuators or whatever I kill, I'm not leveling up. I've hit the top of the arrow three times today and still no dice.

Whenever I log out and log back in, it just resets my EXP meter. Super bummed about it. I lost a good 400 exp that never registered after I completed a Booster tour.

I reported the bug though. Guess I just have to wait.

[quote name='fabricati diem']I've gotten through that portion, but now I'm fighting Eddie and Ed or whomever...though I still can't get past level 7. My EXP bar is entirely full, but no matter how many brainiac accentuators or whatever I kill, I'm not leveling up. I've hit the top of the arrow three times today and still no dice.

Whenever I log out and log back in, it just resets my EXP meter. Super bummed about it. I lost a good 400 exp that never registered after I completed a Booster tour.

I reported the bug though. Guess I just have to wait.[/QUOTE]

Does the beta have a level cap of 7? If so, that's a huge bummer. The launch version, from what I have experienced, has no exp bugs. I was playing alongside people who were in their mid level 20s.

[quote name='DoubleJG']Does the beta have a level cap of 7? If so, that's a huge bummer. The launch version, from what I have experienced, has no exp bugs. I was playing alongside people who were in their mid level 20s.[/QUOTE]

i think the beta level cap is 20. since reaching 20 myself everytime i finished a new mission the purple exp points dont pop up anymore.

Well, I patched the beta to 1.03 and was surprised that I was able to play for about an hour or so and the game did not crash, maybe was on the game's good day. Area 51 mission is disappointing though. After transport to Brainiac's ship, there was nothing to fight and no way to transport back. So had to quit and rejoin again. Also, the bosses for the missions are somewhat too hard to take on solo, tried the Raven one and Starfire just went nuts all the time with the fire even though my level is higher than her and kept being beaten.

So far, I'm loving this game. I'm playing it on PC, but eh... still the same. The PC thread is dead so no point in posting there. I just got out of Braniac's ship and it was fun. I'm hoping the rest of the missions are just as good though.

I'm quite disappointed there is no Green Lantern template. Green Arrow is cool and all, but no green lantern? Please tell me they are holding back the templates you can play as for the beta only. I didn't check to see if there was a Ring power during character creation though... Maybe I should have explored that a bit more.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']Well, I patched the beta to 1.03 and was surprised that I was able to play for about an hour or so and the game did not crash, maybe was on the game's good day. Area 51 mission is disappointing though. After transport to Brainiac's ship, there was nothing to fight and no way to transport back. So had to quit and rejoin again. Also, the bosses for the missions are somewhat too hard to take on solo, tried the Raven one and Starfire just went nuts all the time with the fire even though my level is higher than her and kept being beaten.[/QUOTE]

For the area 51 you have to wait till the boss is in the ship. You can see him in there and there is a text clue, I do not remember what it said. I found the best way to beat enemies is with chaining attacks. I had a charge attack move that took like 50 hit points off any target.

[quote name='lokizz']i think the beta level cap is 20. since reaching 20 myself everytime i finished a new mission the purple exp points dont pop up anymore.[/QUOTE]

I believe it's 30. I've seen plenty of people beyond level 20.

[quote name='SEH']I believe it's 30. I've seen plenty of people beyond level 20.[/QUOTE]

The highest level you can get at launch will be 30.

The pc vip beta is 30.
The pc preorder/contest server is capped at 20 right now.
Not sure what the ps3 beta is, but if people are over 20 I'd guess it is uncapped(so u can go up to 30}.

On the PC server, at night in front of Superman's statue in the Metropolis park, there are PVP battles.

People wait their turn a the statues base then one person from each of the two factions stands near each of the benches. They both "/bow" and then fight!

Winner stays in and goes for 3 battles or until they lose.

started playing the PS3 version today. Got about 3 hours in and almost to LVL 7 before it crashed and hung up the PS3.

Just tried to get playing it again and had to update to 1.04 140mb download which of course takes forever.

Anyways after the update it always hangs at the loading screen and gives the generic "disconnected, please sign in with PSN account".

:bomb::bomb:

Fun beta, level 5. So far, I've had two glitches, once I dropped through the floor on Gotham and just kept falling on and on. Another time, when battling the ship guardian I lost control of my character, it only kept standing around having it's ass kicked.

Not really $15 a month worth for me though

I really don't think this game is going to do well. The only thing its got going for it is the DC Universe, everything else it does is mediocre or poor. WoW does everything better than this game unfortunately and then they are going to slap a $15 a month price tag on it?

[quote name='hustletron']I really don't think this game is going to do well. The only thing its got going for it is the DC Universe, everything else it does is mediocre or poor. WoW does everything better than this game unfortunately and then they are going to slap a $15 a month price tag on it?[/QUOTE]

What it does have going for it, however, is the fact that it's a true MMO on a console (I don't count Everquest and FFXI since those were basically sloppy "ports" of the PC versions.) This factor alone makes me want to buy it. Then I think back on how I haven't played this game in a couple weeks because nobody will join my party to help me with a quest I'm stuck on, and things like that will probably prevent me from getting the game. Actually, that same factor is what made me quit WoW, so I guess that's more of an MMO problem. MMO's suck when you're trying to tackle everything solo, and sometimes you don't choice.

[quote name='hustletron']I really don't think this game is going to do well. The only thing its got going for it is the DC Universe, everything else it does is mediocre or poor. WoW does everything better than this game unfortunately and then they are going to slap a $15 a month price tag on it?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I could see it sell if offered as a $60 one time payment + micro transactions. It could also be an excellent opportunity to get more people to get PSN+ by offering free monthly access to the game (or a really big discount on year/monthly subscription)

bread's done
Back