DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

[quote name='Bizaliz']If your still wanting to trade i have a PC but need a PS3[/QUOTE]

PMed you, I still have the PS3 key and would like to trade

Been in the PC beta for about a month and a half already. Great game. Already got a few lvl 30 characters. How are the controls set up for the console? Does it feel natural? Deciding to get this for either pc or ps3.

[quote name='deadpool253']Been in the PC beta for about a month and a half already. Great game. Already got a few lvl 30 characters. How are the controls set up for the console? Does it feel natural? Deciding to get this for either pc or ps3.[/QUOTE]

Controls seem, like any other third-person action game. Right stick controls camera, Square and Triangle for attacks. Bottom 8 action slots assigned to either R2 or L2 + shape button.

Two major glares that I've noticed, that may or may not be exclusive to the PS3, is that all the text is difficult to read because it's far too small, and that the UI is very laggy. It takes forever to navigate your character menus.

If I don't get bored of the beta before it ends there is a very good chance I'll be buying this. Probably for PS3 since I don't think my PC can run it.

Yeah I had planned on getting it on my PS3 too, but since I upgraded my PC I ended up leaning towards that more.

They have said there are "capers" or "episodes" that they want to release each month. At the start of the game there are 3 hero and 3 villain mentors each with their own missions of an overlaying story arc. At the end you get whatever reward.

Then there are suggestions that new mentors would be introduced each month, and thus new missions/story arcs. Green Lantern being one that is highly rumored.

[quote name='Dranakin']Two major glares that I've noticed, that may or may not be exclusive to the PS3, is that all the text is difficult to read because it's far too small, and that the UI is very laggy. It takes forever to navigate your character menus.[/QUOTE]

PC version isn't laggy at all in menus and text is clearly legible.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Yeah I had planned on getting it on my PS3 too, but since I upgraded my PC I ended up leaning towards that more.

They have said there are "capers" or "episodes" that they want to release each month. At the start of the game there are 3 hero and 3 villain mentors each with their own missions of an overlaying story arc. At the end you get whatever reward.

Then there are suggestions that new mentors would be introduced each month, and thus new missions/story arcs. Green Lantern being one that is highly rumored.[/QUOTE]

Green lantern would be pretty awesome.

^ Yep. It's that gray bar at the bottom screen, and you have to wait forever for the green to fill it up. I had to use my neighbors 15mbps open wifi lol, but still it took forever.

[quote name='D0RC']Browsed a bit and couldn't find the answer. Is the beta crossplatform? and will be the final game be? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Each is on their own respective servers. PC with PC and same goes for PS3. In short, no cross platform.

I downloaded the Beta, 15 GB! Had I known it was that much...

As for opinion... Loved the intro CS. During tutorial all I kept thinking is hurry I want to fight people. Took a little time to sink in that this is in fact a MMO. They even have quest objectives with respawning enemies. I want to try all the super hero powers but you have to re-do tutorial each time and that gets boring fast.

i dont play MMO's and never had a want to do so but I got into the beta and i have to say its fun.

I dont know about paying a monthly sub for the game though but i could see people spending hrs upon hours on this

Two days into the beta and im lvl 18

just defeated solomon grundy but hes buggy as hell. keeps respawing and running away lol

[quote name='TeamUnderdog']Does everyone have this insane download once they boot up DCUO for the first time on PS3?[/QUOTE]

Never played an MMO before I take it? The initial download is just the client. You then run the client which downloads the actual game.

Did they take the beta offline? I cant play using any of my characters and when I try to create a new one no worlds show up.

This game has quite possibly the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game. Men doing VO for female characters, people pronouncing hard P's to the point you can hear the air hitting the microphone, etc...

It seriously sounds like this shit was recorded by a man and a woman on a Dell laptop using a microphone bought at Best Buy for $10. Horrid.

[quote name='SEH']This game has quite possibly the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game. Men doing VO for female characters, people pronouncing hard P's to the point you can hear the air hitting the microphone, etc...

It seriously sounds like this shit was recorded by a man and a woman on a Dell laptop using a microphone bought at Best Buy for $10. Horrid.[/QUOTE]

The voice acting isn't done yet. They have a lot of place holders in place right now. The whole thing is going to be voiced, which I personally think is going to be very amazing.

Its beta so good enough to have some intern spit out supergirls lines instead of making you read. Even is she sounds like Chris from Family guy lol.

just sat and played this game for ~5 hours... very time consuming game... ill probably play a little bit till the beta is over
then bye bye DC Universe, no way am i payin $60 for this game + monthly fees

I got the code from gamespot before I knew that the download was so huge. Getting this would put me well over my dl cap for the month so hopefully someone can use this? I don't remember getting to pick what version to get on the gamespot site but i think it was for the pc, sorry didn't pay attention.

33RB-5HCE-P4FE-23DJ-ENCN

[quote name='maxim2boobles']PSO on Dreamcast is still better than this game[/QUOTE]

I put so many hours into the first one, close to 200. I bought the second game unknowingly you had to p2p and have yet to touch it. =(

I thought that the download took forever...and then I got to the character creation and spent an hour doing that.

PvE (Villain)
Sweet Leaf

Enjoying myself so far but hot damn is the text tiny regardless of how much I adjust the screen size.

Hmm...the Marketplace option intrigues me. Is this a path towards free-to-play perhaps?

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Hmm...the Marketplace option intrigues me. Is this a path towards free-to-play perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Unlikely at launch. Many, many MMOs are pay-per-month, but still have a number of micro-transactions in game to generate additional income. Even WoW has 'em, and that shows no signs of going free to play. I think you should be more worried about what kind of stuff they are going to put in there. Additional costume pieces is a given, as well as things like character renaming. I'm hoping they add in-game character respeccing instead of having that as a paid option as well.

The more I play this game the more I wish it wasn't an MMO...that it was just an open-world game where you create a hero and get "trained" by DC icons. That'd free them up to actually give me things like a Lantern powerset or awesome costume pieces without having to worry so much about balance and hiding the cool stuff at the end so people always have a carrot to run after.

No the marketplace I think might have to do with the player trading. That isn't active yet in the beta(s). There are auction houses in the two main bases and banks much like in WoW and other MMO's.

As far as how they are getting revenue, they have said it will be on many fronts. mainly pay to pay. Then they plan on having micro transactions but not details on there.

MOST of the content is said to be provided as part of your subscription fee. Like playing as different iconic characters in PVP. Instead of buying say Superman, you have to earn the rights and collect his holo-token. But I could see them selling characters too.

I was more referring to already having a bit of the framework in place should the subscription numbers not add-up.

To be blunt; nothing stands a chance against the MMO juggernaut that is WoW so having an out in regards to the monthly fee model would be wise for anyone entering that environment.

Many a monthly fee driven game which developers/publishers claimed would never go free-to-play has in the face of a WoW dominated game space. It eventually comes down to either converting to some hybrid model or shutting down entirely.

Only time will tell how the PS3 audience will respond to this game and paying a monthly fee but SOE really should bring one of their free-to-plays over as they'd be the only game in town when it comes to consoles. (PoxNora, EverQuest II Extended, Free Realms, etc.)

I say ditch the 15 dollar a month fee and give it free service for PSN+ members. That would make me finally pick up PSN+

So far the game needs controls tweaked and non laggy menus.

[quote name='mykee98']I got the code from gamespot before I knew that the download was so huge. Getting this would put me well over my dl cap for the month so hopefully someone can use this? I don't remember getting to pick what version to get on the gamespot site but i think it was for the pc, sorry didn't pay attention.

33RB-5HCE-P4FE-23DJ-ENCN[/QUOTE]

Used this code. Thanks so much, seriously. I've been trying to get one for weeks.

I'm such a huge DC nerd and my dad just got admitted to the hospital...so this made my day a little better.

Thanks again, man. CAG is the best.

this game waaaaaaaay exceeded any expectations i had for it. its fun and if not for the 15 bucks a month fee id be all over it making it my first ever mmorpg.

The PvP portion of the server is virtually empty and lacking depth (replacing the fabled stat allocation with skill/power set spam). As for the emptiness, I guess its a plus if you want to PvE seeing as you practically have all the general quests spawns to yourself. Otherwise, do what I did and gather some friends to gank the hero/villain starting point. :lol:

Glitch wise, I only ran into a few with the prominent ones being 1) player model clothing/special effects not rendering & 2) sound effects completely being inactive. As far as MMOs go, I've played better (overall set and design of the game mind you).

Call me crazy but 15GB is insane. Perhaps it's my bias towards Guild Wars but I love that the game downloads in the background and unpacks as needed. Load the main area/realm and then download as you play from there.

You can respec your character points. Head to Meta wing in Watchtower. It'll cost you 500 the first time around but that price should increase with consecutive usage.

Hmm for some reason while opening the launcher on the PC version it gets stuck at "starting game..." Its done this since I guess last night. Is that happening to anyone else? Is it because a server is down or did something go wrong with my files?

Nevermind I fixed it by repairing the client.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']I ran into a wealth of glitches last night, I think I may stop playing for a few days and hope they fix them.[/QUOTE]

I think you can get into the Beta forums
Or there should be a way to report then via the client. Might want to mention to them so they actually know what is wrong and can fix.

Anyway, funny how many people think this is a demo. The game isn't done, and I can see from some of the comment s why the devs have a different beta for the vip members who actually contribute and iron things out.

I could counter point most of the issues brought up here but no real reason to. Its been said before.

What I want to know about is How are the instance load times? Other the entering/exiting one, everything else should be seamless.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']I say ditch the 15 dollar a month fee and give it free service for PSN+ members. That would make me finally pick up PSN+[/QUOTE]

Never happen. A $50 a year fee in no way comes close to covering a yearly sub that would cost $180.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but it really makes me laugh when people who are used to playing games on a console get an MMO and are blown away by the fact that you have to pay a monthly fee. Monthly content as well as keeping the servers up and running costs money kids.

[quote name='SEH']Never happen. A $50 a year fee in no way comes close to covering a yearly sub that would cost $180.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but it really makes me laugh when people who are used to playing games on a console get an MMO and are blown away by the fact that you have to pay a monthly fee. Monthly content as well as keeping the servers up and running costs money kids.[/QUOTE]

Free for PS+ users? No, but I would like $5 off if possible. That equates to a savings for us PS+ subscribers of $60 a year, while the developer shill gets about $120 a years from us.

[quote name='SynGamer']Free for PS+ users? No, but I would like $5 off if possible. That equates to a savings for us PS+ subscribers of $60 a year, while the developer shill gets about $120 a years from us.[/QUOTE]

The devs grumble when they hear anything about ps+. :) I was VERY surprised when they announced the beta from those members. The devs acted as if it'd take food off their plate which it sort of would. The subscription fee goes to paying their team to maintain, improve, and upgrade the game.

Only way I could see them doing a discount, totally free via ps+ is out of the question to me, is of Sony subsidizes SOE. Offering discount on dcuo to plus members as a carrot to get more to join up, and paying the "loss" back to SOE.

[quote name='fabricati diem']Used this code. Thanks so much, seriously. I've been trying to get one for weeks.

I'm such a huge DC nerd and my dad just got admitted to the hospital...so this made my day a little better.

Thanks again, man. CAG is the best.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you get to enjoy this. I'm actually thinking about bringing my ps3 up to work tomorrow and do the download here (i got psn+ invite also). Just as long as I can hide it from the bossman.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think you can get into the Beta forums
Or there should be a way to report then via the client. Might want to mention to them so they actually know what is wrong and can fix.

Anyway, funny how many people think this is a demo. The game isn't done, and I can see from some of the comment s why the devs have a different beta for the vip members who actually contribute and iron things out.

I could counter point most of the issues brought up here but no real reason to. Its been said before.

What I want to know about is How are the instance load times? Other the entering/exiting one, everything else should be seamless.[/QUOTE]
I have been reporting every bug as it happens to me, by this time though, I'm just getting pissed off more than anything. I've done three missions now that won't say they're completed and I've finished 2 Investigations and not gotten anything for them. What's an instance? Stuff like Area 51? The loading for that was pretty quick for me.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']What's an instance? Stuff like Area 51? The loading for that was pretty quick for me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe that is wrong term, but basically the missions or locations that you can do privately with a group or on your own. Yes, area 51 is one example which is good to know.

Have you found the official forums on the soe station website? I know there is a ps3 thread there you might find some help in.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']anyone else have game freezing issues?[/QUOTE] Every time I play I have the game lock up after about an hour of play. It freezes pretty often.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Maybe that is wrong term, but basically the missions or locations that you can do privately with a group or on your own. Yes, area 51 is one example which is good to know.

Have you found the official forums on the soe station website? I know there is a ps3 thread there you might find some help in.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, then Area 51 loads pretty easily for me, but I noticed I will randomly have a lot of lag on some of those kinds of missions, and every time I've completed one of those missions they won't say they've been completed.

I looked for the forms you were talking about but I wasn't able to find it, could you please link me to it?

I already maxed out my character. Sure problems occur here and there but it's still okay overall. Been doing a lot of PVPing actually, I'm getting the hang of it. Held myself pretty well against two Batmen.

bread's done
Back