DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

[quote name='maxim2boobles']anyone else have game freezing issues?[/QUOTE]

All the time. It's quite disappointing that the game seems to suffer from some serious stability issues right now. Wasn't the beta extended just to iron out these kinds of issues?

[quote name='LXL_Guy']I already maxed out my character. Sure problems occur here and there but it's still okay overall. Been doing a lot of PVPing actually, I'm getting the hang of it. Held myself pretty well against two Batmen.[/QUOTE]

where did you level up at ?

US PS Blog Update.

To all of you who have been participating in our DC Universe Online PS3 Beta, we’d like to welcome you and thank you! We’ve been listening closely to your feedback and we’ve heard a few of you are running into some technical issues. We want you to know your feedback is valuable and we are implementing fixes as quickly as possible. In the next patch many issues will be resolved.

Some of the specific issues that we are fixing include numerous changes to improve the user interface, in particular text readability. In addition, we want to make it easier for you to play with your friends! What is an online game without playing with friends? :)

Social enhancements will make it easier to communicate, play and group with others. Improvements to chat input, frequently used phrases menu, and the ability to use emotes will further convey your personality and mood to the world. There are also several adjustments in process that will improve instruction and hint messages within the UI. Plus, we are adding a way for you to quickly access combo sequences, super power information, and buff/debuff information for your character.

Finally, stability of the game has been greatly improved in the latest version. So, as you can tell there is a lot going on and more to come. Please, keep giving us your feedback and insights, and get ready for a great game play experience – thanks to your feedback!
The conversation continues in our new DCUO PS3 Forums!
Link to the forums I mentioned before is there.

I'll post on how to get PS3 controllers to work on your PC later on too.

Stability and text readability are my two biggest issues so that's very nice to hear.

Along with those they need to address the disconnect issues. It isn't so much that they happen but rather how; presenting you with a screen which must be exited from on a system level and, more importantly, the fact that they don't save your progress when it happens. (I've lost quest line progress, experience in general, and even an entire character...twice...in a row due to disconnects)

They already have 'DC' in the title so there's no need to stoke yonder internet fires to be known as DC'd Universe Offline.

edit: On another topic: Does anyone know how to take screenshots or if it is implemented yet? I went so far as to plug in a keyboard and mash on each and every key but no dice. (also I recommend plugging one in for quick access to your various menus...I'll include text chat to that list once I can actually read said text)

I wasn't having any freezing issues until I went into Gotham City to steam roll hi-lvl heroes ganking low levels.

on the pc I've crashed maybe two times. And every time I've come back to the same spot I was when it happened. One of which was gliding high over the city, so when I logged, in I was falling.

[quote name='lokizz']where did you level up at ?[/QUOTE]

Missions. Do the missions, they give the most EXP.

On another note, damn those low level villains who just randomly pick a fight with me. Only time the got the jump on me was in a group which pretty much devastated me.

Finally froze on a loading while trying to do an Alert with my league.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Missions. Do the missions, they give the most EXP.

On another note, damn those low level villains who just randomly pick a fight with me. Only time the got the jump on me was in a group which pretty much devastated me.

Finally froze on a loading while trying to do an Alert with my league.[/QUOTE]

ill do that then ive run into some diff areas in metropolis where youll random run into gorillas and braniac robots but ive only comnpleted one misson so far.

no freezes issues at all yesterday but now it seems to want to lock up about every 15 to 30 minutes, getting a big frustrated with it i hope they can iron it out soon. most of my freezing seems to be when i'm flying too

Yeah, I was at the very end of the tutorial, Lex Luthor came in and we were rocking it. Then POOF, frozen.

I was not a happy little villain there. :p

Downloading now. Should be done when I wake up. Looking forward to playing today, sounds like a blast. I just hope there isn't another 15GB download in a couple days, that would suck.

For the most part, a lot of people are freezing randomly when using their travel powers. I know it happens to me often.

Other thing I've noticed is the lag when the action gets too intense. Slowly I start to freeze up. Let it sit for a bit and then it catches up with my death being played out.

Hopefully the patch update fixes thing here and there. I know I want a different menu interface for certain aspects for PS3.

I'm loving this game so far. I'm not a comic fan by any means, but I'm just happy to finally have an MMO on a console that actually PLAYS like a console game. I'm not fond of games with monthly fees so I'm unsure about whether or not I'll actually buy it when it comes out, but it's a big step in the right direction and shows that MMORPGs can actually be done on consoles.

OK, so I've never played an MMO before. When I create a character on DCUO it asks me if I want to be on a PVE server or PVP server. I understand that those stand for Player vs. Environment and Player vs. Player, but what does it change gameplay wise?

[quote name='tcatsninfan']OK, so I've never played an MMO before. When I create a character on DCUO it asks me if I want to be on a PVE server or PVP server. I understand that those stand for Player vs. Environment and Player vs. Player, but what does it change gameplay wise?[/QUOTE]

Basically, pvp means you can be attacked by other side at any time. And pve means you have to activate/flag your self as open to attack.

Pve is best if you want to focus on your missions. You'll run into purple icons on your mini map which are opposite faction players but they can't bother you unless you want them to.

Pvp is for more hardcore players who like a challenge and unexpectedness of being in a battle at any time.

Been hearing very good things. Really hope that Sony comes out with a better pay service. I don't think I could make $15 bucks a month work. If it does become addicting, I might have to dip in for a bit.

Here is to hoping it has a good size community and prolonged support.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Basically, pvp means you can be attacked by other side at any time. And pve means you have to activate/flag your self as open to attack.

Pve is best if you want to focus on your missions. You'll run into purple icons on your mini map which are opposite faction players but they can't bother you unless you want them to.

Pvp is for more hardcore players who like a challenge and unexpectedness of being in a battle at any time.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip.that is why other people kill me when i try completing missions.

Thanks everyone for the feedback about PVP and PVE.

Theoretically, then, if I wanted to flag myself as wanting to be attacked by human players on the PVE server, how would I go about doing that?

[quote name='tcatsninfan']Thanks everyone for the feedback about PVP and PVE.

Theoretically, then, if I wanted to flag myself as wanting to be attacked by human players on the PVE server, how would I go about doing that?[/QUOTE]

No problem.

And I haven't tried it but this is from the last patch notes:

PvP Flag:

• Using /pvp will now toggle PvP flag on/off
  • PvP players can only be attacked by another PvP flagged player.
  • When a request to toggle pvp off. It will take around 3 minutes before PvP flag wear off.
  • PvP wear off timer restarts if you perform any PvP action like attacking another PvP players.

[quote name='m_d_amore']is there A way to party up on ps3?[/QUOTE]

Get near the person you want to party with and then go to the social tab in the menu to form a group.

[quote name='Afflicted']is it just me or is leveling up totally random?[/QUOTE]

You earn XP for finishing missions and for beating up enemies... how is that random?

[quote name='erequena']So I still need to download assets for about 70 hours according to my PS3... hopefully it ends before the actual beta does[/QUOTE]

i gave up after i tried the install and it said 36+ hours.

Okay, something is being goofy with the game. I was playing just 20 minutes ago. And the game froze. Nothing new, but after I restart my console and try to get back in the game, after I select my character it brings me to a screen saying I'm disconnected and I have an 'invalid game state'. Which I have no clue what this means.

Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='NamPaehc']You earn XP for finishing missions and for beating up enemies... how is that random?[/QUOTE]

well there seems to be no way to see how much is needed for level... also I've leveled a couple of times with what seemed like less exp than the previous levels...

of course... I also can't read any of the text... so...

[quote name='Afflicted']well there seems to be no way to see how much is needed for level... also I've leveled a couple of times with what seemed like less exp than the previous levels...

of course... I also can't read any of the text... so...[/QUOTE]

There is a little purple bar beneath your ability bar. That's your exp meter. It's not exact, but at least you'll know how close you are to leveling.

[quote name='Dasflikko']There is a little purple bar beneath your ability bar. That's your exp meter. It's not exact, but at least you'll know how close you are to leveling.[/QUOTE]

well yeah... but seems like it always resets itself to 0 everytime you logout or the game crashes... then it builds up to almost full and sits there for hours... then bam you level and it's still almost full...

so like I said... seems very random.

this game looks pretty interesting to me. i like the theory. will wait to see how it turns out when it's releases.

Played the beta for the first time last night and had a really good time. Other than some targeting issues I had when it came to attacks, it seems better than I thought it would be.

And is there any way to run or fly faster? I know the speedsters can get around pretty quick, but my god it feels like it takes forever to get around in the world.

[quote name='4thHorseman']Played the beta for the first time last night and had a really good time. Other than some targeting issues I had when it came to attacks, it seems better than I thought it would be.

And is there any way to run or fly faster? I know the speedsters can get around pretty quick, but my god it feels like it takes forever to get around in the world.[/QUOTE]

You can level your movement abilities so you are able to fly and run faster.

Yeah I think people on the server I was on was calling it "tier 2 movement". You can use a skill point at level 10 I believe to unlock them. You activate them by holding the movement button/key after you've already started moving normally.

The speedster is wickedly fast. I love running next to people and then kicking into overdrive and leaving them in my dust.

Haven't unlocked flying yet but I think there is a "Sonic flight" or something like that. People on the server say it is great.

As for acrobat, they get "rocket boots" which is basically like an extension of the gliding. I actually like this movement the best. You have to catch updrafts around the tall buildings to get lifted higher. It takes some getting used to but it is fun for me.

Also there are grapples (vertical and horizontal) which you can use to pull yourself upwards and towards buildings at a high rate of speed with the acrobat movement tree.

yeah i was kinda pissed my guy was flying so slow until i got the speed upgrade its pretty sweet.its cool the way changing bits and pieces changes the look of your hero. kinda like how characters change costumes over time in comics you get into some pretty diff and cool looks as you get better items to boost your stats. i wonder if that was intentional .

you change alot during the course of leveling up but you still look familiar.

i freakin love flame based powers but if i have time i may do a speedster with gun skills if its possible.

[quote name='lokizz']you change alot during the course of leveling up but you still look familiar.

i freakin love flame based powers but if i have time i may do a speedster with gun skills if its possible.[/QUOTE]

If you go to second tab (at least in the PC beta) you can pick how you look. You can keep your very 1st outfit and just use the stats of your new items. Just wear them then say no to changing look, or go back into that tab and pick what you want to wear. You sort of collect different clothing sets which is cool like you said.

And I had fun with my rifle/fire/speedster. :) Rifle has a flamethrower upgrade that tied in well.

[quote name='NamPaehc']If you go to second tab (at least in the PC beta) you can pick how you look. You can keep your very 1st outfit and just use the stats of your new items. Just wear them then say no to changing look, or go back into that tab and pick what you want to wear. You sort of collect different clothing sets which is cool like you said.

And I had fun with my rifle/fire/speedster. :) Rifle has a flamethrower upgrade that tied in well.[/QUOTE]

i may try that when and if i ever get around to making a speedster. fuckin game is addicting its the first game in a while i think about when im not playing it. they did a good job with it although it sucks some missions you cant complete like welcome to the watchtower. where the hell is the console in the reactor room?

I hope they raise the level cap. Just flying through the city I find some level 20 and above enemies that destroy me in seconds haha

Downloading an update just now, hope it fixes the crashing issues among other things

[quote name='cheap from birth']I hope they raise the level cap. Just flying through the city I find some level 20 and above enemies that destroy me in seconds haha

Downloading an update just now, hope it fixes the crashing issues among other things[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any mention of the crashing issue. But here's the link to what the update is all about. Too much for me to throw in one big quote box.

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/posts/list.m?topic_id=975

This patch is another 3GB, bringing the total to about 21GB. I have the space but that's a lot of friggin' space.

Does anyone know when the beta ends?

[quote name='tcatsninfan']This patch is another 3GB, bringing the total to about 21GB. I have the space but that's a lot of friggin' space.

Does anyone know when the beta ends?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Release rumor is in mid to late january. Other them that, Q1 2010 is official release date to help gauge when beta ends.

The end of beta should be great.they have an event where the players are going to get to play out the huge battle from the"who do you trust" trailer then.

bread's done
Back