DC Universe Online Thread *Lightning Strikes DLC 12/6/11* Free to play

Coincidentally, got an email last night inviting me to the PC version's beta. At the very least, I can say it's a noticeable departure from conventional MMORPGs.

Feel free to ask questions about anything. I'm not too far in, having only created two characters so far, but I do have some initial impressions.

- Character Creation attempts to find a nice middleground between something like World of Warcraft (where you can change maybe 6 things) and City of Heroes (that allows you to change a lot of things). Your body is limited to one of three types - large, medium, and small...or as I'd call them, hulking behemoth, normal superhero, and sidekick. From there you pick a skin. There are maybe 6 or so normal human skins and a bunch of abnormal skins ranging from Mummy to Zombie to Wolf-man. I was somewhat disappointed to find out your face was tied in with skin choice. Aside from hair style, that's about all you can do to your body.

Then you move onto costume. It works quite similar to City of Heroes, but with far fewer options. Also of note - every change you make is completely symmetrical, so you can't make one arm look different from the other. Color choosing was annoying. You get three sliders, one for color, one for intensity, and one for brightness. Creating a brown hair color was way too problematic. I would've killed for a few preset colors I could choose from.

- Controls were the most drastic difference from typical MMORPG's. The mouse acts as camera control, so there's no pointer on screen. Your powers are mapped to number keys, while combat is done using mouse buttons. Combat starts off with left click = melee, right click = range, but as you gain more combat skills, you start having to do things like tap to do something, or hold to do something. Generally not a fan of "hidden" functionality like this, as you'd only know how it works if you looked it up.

- Your super power seems to affect the look of your combat skills as well. For example, I chose Plant based powers with Rifle based combat. This meant that a grenade exploded in a mess of leaves and vines, without actually doing any leaves or vine-like things. Bug or feature, I have no idea.

- Physics was kind of wonky. One of my characters was more of a brawler, and had a ground-slam type move. Did awesome damage to stuff, but when used against a car, it made the car fly about a hundred feet in the air. Didn't do the same to barrels or people.

- One of the first had me beating up college students. What was weird was that I would wail on them, but they'd largely ignore me. They'd just keep walking and talk with their friends.

How did you guys get your keys? I remember signing up at their website months ago, but haven't received anything from that yet. You guys don't happen to be PS Plus members?

Started playing the PC beta yesterday. The game is pretty fun so far, but it seems like it could be tough to play with a controller. Most things would be simple, but selecting abilities on the bottom bar might be an issue.

The quests are pretty standard stuff, but it seems like there's lots of extra stuff to do. The character creation is ok. Its deeper than something like WoW, but you still have to choose between preset options, although the colors are completely customizable.

Overall, the game seems fun. Its pretty polished so far, but there's still some graphical issues that should be able to be fixed by release. I've played the demos for City of Heroes and Champions Online, but this game seems better than either of those. If you're looking for a super hero mmo, this looks to be the best one.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Just got my PS3 beta key. Downloading now 117MB, 122MB, and something after along lines of maybe 11GB or more.[/QUOTE]

pre-order or plus invite?

I got my PS3 pre-order invite last night and downloaded the 15 gigs in about 14 hours. Unfortunately I have yet to play, since the servers have been going up and down every hour or so. Yay disconnects during character creation!

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Has anybody gotten a code from when you sign up for a beta invite on their site months ago?[/QUOTE]

I got my PC code from that.

Wanna Free Beta Key? This works for PC or PS3 (I did it myself)

Taken from G'FAQS

1. Go to IGN.com and register with a valid email. They should send you an email to verify its validity. Verify it!
2. Register an SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) account with a valid email, preferably the same one you used for your IGN account! They'll also send you an email to verify it's validity. Verify it!
3. Go to the DCUO homepage and keep it open: http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/index.vm
4. Go here and choose your preferential platform: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/dcuniverse/
5. If you registered on IGN with a valid email and verified it, you should get a unique beta key for DCUO! Enter it at the DCUO homepage.
6. In a few minutes, you'll get an email from File Planet welcoming you to the DCUO Beta. Click the link within.
7. This should send you to the site which gives you the game client.
8. Download it, enjoy the huge install and the huge patch.
9. Once done, login and kick some ass.
10. Happy Holidays and enjoy playing!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']So they pulled the same move that MAG did with a small beta download, but a huge patch once you try to play it?[/QUOTE]

It is more along the lines the fact that the beta is around 16 gigs.

They need to mix the communities, let PC and PS3 play with one another. I don't think the ps3 users base for this game will be very high.

[quote name='j-cart']It is more along the lines the fact that the beta is around 16 gigs.

They need to mix the communities, let PC and PS3 play with one another. I don't think the ps3 users base for this game will be very high.[/QUOTE]

A dev finally admitted that the console patch/content submission process is something that they took into account in deciding not to keep crossplatfrom. Even though up until the later beta phases they had it all running on ps3 and pcs on the same servers.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']The 15 a month for PS3 users will not hold for long.[/QUOTE]

Why would you say that? It's the same as any pay to play mmo. As long as they keep content coming after the game is released I don't see a problem with the 15 a month

[quote name='deadpool253']Why would you say that? It's the same as any pay to play mmo. As long as they keep content coming after the game is released I don't see a problem with the 15 a month[/QUOTE]

There will likely be fewer updates for the PS3 version as someone said above. Personally, I would like to see PS+ members get a discount. That would help Sony and it would help the game as well. I would definitely try the game at $9.99 a month.

This game is weird. Obviously very early, judging by all the collision problems. The worst part is the targeting. You can turn around, face an enemy who is wailing on you from behind, hold the targeting button, but the camera won't adjust...

With the right tweaks, it could be decent.

[quote name='deadpool253']Why would you say that? It's the same as any pay to play mmo. As long as they keep content coming after the game is released I don't see a problem with the 15 a month[/QUOTE]

Console players are not used to monthly fees for single games.

Edit: Especially PS3 owners who love to tout the fact that PSN is free. I don't see enough PS3 owners thinking that a monthly amount that is higher than an xbl gold membership being a good deal for a single game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else getting errors when trying to play and having it ask you for the activation coede that came with the game?

Edit: Nevermind, if it happens just restart your console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the beta codes linked to the specific SOE account that gets them or can anyone use them? I have maybe 2 pc beta codes and 1 ps3 beta code i can give out. I have the pc beta..liked it ok

[quote name='Snuckles']Are the beta codes linked to the specific SOE account that gets them or can anyone use them? I have maybe 2 pc beta codes and 1 ps3 beta code i can give out. I have the pc beta..liked it ok[/QUOTE]

The keys are only linked to something once activated anyone could use them.

I'm in Gotham and my character's Curtain Call, if you see me we should beat up supervillains together! I'm pretty far, I only have a missions with Bane left for myself right now.

[quote name='eliter1']Got a PS3 Beta Key but I asked for the PC version... Anyone want to trade?[/QUOTE]
If your still wanting to trade i have a PC but need a PS3

[quote name='whoknows']I can make 2 characters?[/QUOTE]
You can make as many as you want I think. There's a lot of space in my character selection column.

What's the bar under the green health and blue "special" bars? I thought it was XP at first, but then that's the purple bar at the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Never mind, read somewhere that it's a "supercharge" meter.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']Console players are not used to monthly fees for single games.

Edit: Especially PS3 owners who love to tout the fact that PSN is free. I don't see enough PS3 owners thinking that a monthly amount that is higher than an xbl gold membership being a good deal for a single game.[/QUOTE]
MMOs on the 360 still require a monthly cost even if you have Gold, so I don't see why the cost of Gold would matter to someone that's considering a console MMO since they only require the main sub on either console. PS+ isn't going to offer any kind of significant discount like any of the other subscription services on PSN (MLB.tv, NHL Gamecenter, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc.) since a $50 annual sub can't really cover a $180/year subscription.

It won't be until Free Realms eventually surfaces again that a more unique subscription model will happen for a console MMO.

i tried to download it. but it has a 32 hour download time. theres better things to occupy my ps3 time.

Does anyone know if they took the servers down or something? I just tried to play and it told me "Disconnected: Invalid Game".

Anyways, I just beat Bane before I got kicked off and I have his badass mask! I love this game so, so much!

bread's done
Back