DEAD--$5 MP3 player at Circuit City--NOW $20

neocisco

CAGiversary!
Feedback
313 (100%)

This is what the item looks like. This deal is NOT available online, in-store only. You get 180 downloads from emusic, 15 a month for 12 months. The MP3 player is 512mb. Yes, it's small but it's only $5. Great deal if you want a backup. If you want one get it ASAP because these are going fast.

I'll go look today to see if there are any left. If you want one, PM me how much you are willing to pay. I'm looking for cost+shipping+gas. You have to be 100% sure you want it since I guess they aren't returnable.

I picked up 2 today. My store didn't had any out in the open, but they had some hidden in an area next to the checkout. I doubt they'll sell out anytime soon unless some hoarder comes and gets a ton, because most people probably have no way of finding out about it.

If anyone has a extra 1-2 LMK. Looking for cheap music players for my kids. Looking to spend around $10/each shipped. PM me if you got some. Wish I could go myself, but closets CC is 250 miles away.

For those doubting this cause of the AAA battery you can pick up a pack of 4 AAA rechargeable batteries at walmart for 5$, they work with most existing chargers, so if you have a battery charger you are all set.

[quote name='Kendro']Hmmm...dunno if I should nab once considering I already have an iPod shuffle. 5 bucks is a steal but I'm trying to factor in the cost of battery life since it only takes one AAA battery.[/quote]

A two pack of AAA rechargable from Fry's cost about $3. Your iPod shuffle's battery will need a replacement long before these will.

[quote name='Deadpool']Damn i cant believe i missed this thread.

I will pay $15 shipped for an unopened one.[/QUOTE]

There are several Buy It Now listings on eBay for these at around that price. Quite a few auctions are running now, so you might be able to get it cheaper if you wait a couple days.

[quote name='Jack']There are several Buy It Now listings on eBay for these at around that price. Quite a few auctions are running now, so you might be able to get it cheaper if you wait a couple days.[/QUOTE]

Yep Everyone and their Mom are ebaying these things. If I bought these to make a profit I would wait til around X Mas Before popping these on eBay.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Yep Everyone and their Mom are ebaying these things. If I bought these to make a profit I would wait til around X Mas Before popping these on eBay.[/quote]

Except that you'll get some pissed off buyers that will have received music downloads that expired on October 31st.

I guess I'll head out tomorrow. The website shows that my local CC still has them in stock. I'll try and pick up extras for uli2000 and Deadpool if I can.

[quote name='espy605']Except that you'll get some pissed off buyers that will have received music downloads that expired on October 31st.[/QUOTE]

LOL I didn't even think about that.

WrestleCrap'sRD;3085291]Ok said:
Except that you'll get some pissed off buyers that will have received music downloads that expired on October 31st.
I was looking at the emusic site last night and didn't actually see a lot of non-classical that was all that great. Tons of covers of decent songs, by genera-bands. =\

I went to the Cool Springs CC in Brentwood, TN and they rang up at $20.

The clerk was a bit puzzled because she knew they were selling for $5 yesterday.

She also said that some dude tried to come in and buy 100 (!!!) of them, but got shot down by the store manager.

[quote name='wEEman33']I went to the Cool Springs CC in Brentwood, TN and they rang up at $20.

The clerk was a bit puzzled because she knew they were selling for $5 yesterday.

She also said that some dude tried to come in and buy 100 (!!!) of them, but got shot down by the store manager.[/QUOTE]

WTF!?!?!?!? 100 of them!!!

5-10 ok, but 100, that guy must be trying to do some major flipping. A store carries 100 of these!?!?!

I was looking at the emusic site last night and didn't actually see a lot of non-classical that was all that great. Tons of covers of decent songs, by genera-bands. =\

That's why eMusic's slogan is something like, "Your source of indepedent music." =)

Can anyone confirm if this deal is still going on today? My store shows they have some in stock so I wanted to find out before I made the trip out there.

[quote name='st00ge']Can anyone confirm if this deal is still going on today? My store shows they have some in stock so I wanted to find out before I made the trip out there.[/quote]

Sorry but the price is now $19.99. Still better than the $32.99 that it used to be. Corporate sent out an email Thursday and raised the price.

This thing sucks.

I looked on RCA's website and I can't find a driver for it. Everytime I try to put a file on it, either the computer freezes (I've tried on 4 diff computers) or it says the drive is write protected or something.

[quote name='whoknows']This thing sucks.

I looked on RCA's website and I can't find a driver for it. Everytime I try to put a file on it, either the computer freezes (I've tried on 4 diff computers) or it says the drive is write protected or something.[/quote]

Sounds like you gots yourself a bad unit. Both of ours work great.

[quote name='ITDEFX']WTF!?!?!?!? 100 of them!!!

5-10 ok, but 100, that guy must be trying to do some major flipping. A store carries 100 of these!?!?![/quote]
I am going to go ahead and own up to this, it was I, and my fiancee, and it wasn't 100, it was 80. A few things you might want to know before condemning me (us).
1) The store had at least 100 more (in addition to the 80 we put into our cart).
2) My fiancee and I are getting married in October, and we were buying these as wedding favors for our guests.

The reason they shot us down is that they claimed that anything over 5 had to be done as a bulk purchase, and the people who handle that were not in the store, so they only let us get 5 each (they suggested we order over the internet, which turned out to not work at that time, or come back with cash and a bunch of people). Rivergate didn't stipulate any such limitation, and the customer service person at Hickory Hollow stated that there is usually a limit of 5 per person per item, but, that according to the manager, it would not apply to this, because of the way it was being sold (they consider it a sort of gift card, hence not charging tax).

Between the three stores, we were able to get all we needed and still leave plenty more (except at Rivergate, which didn't have many to begin with). Hickory Hollow had a bunch (and still had plenty when we left), but they weren't out on the floor, they had to be requested at customer service. We never made it back to Cool Springs, so they probably still have close to 200. They rang up as $5 at both Rivergate and Cool Springs, with the checkout person having to enter a promotional code for each one, which knocked the price way up, but then the system took it off at the end. At Hickory Hollow, they rang up differently, but they still ended up being $5 with no tax when the CSR finished.

Judge me if you will, but I don't think I did anything wrong. I did not get these to try to make a profit. I don't think that I kept anyone from getting in on this deal, unless they only checked Rivergate. When the CSR at Hickory Hollow tried to hand me an additional box of 4, over and above what I had paid for, I pointed out her mistake.

WrestleCrap'sRD;3085291 said:
Ok, to everyone who thinks the sound is awful, at first, I did too. Then I changed it from the default "FLAT" sound mode to "ROCK". It actually sounds quite good, even with the crappy earbuds they give you.

Actually, the rock setting sounds horrible. All I have on mine is rock music, yet it sounds absolutely horrible on that setting. The flat setting is passable, and the bass setting is a little bit better, using my KSC75s. Still, the sound quality isn't much, but I can't expect much for $5.

Mother fuckers! Now that the price has been raised, they're suddenly available at all the stores that were OOS with the price mistake.

Looks like they'll collect dust until they're clearanced out (if ever) or there's another price mistake.

One question- when listening to a long podcast, is there any way to power off and resume the .mp3 later? Every time I try it's back to the start of the file.

[quote name='guessed']I am going to go ahead and own up to this, it was I, and my fiancee, and it wasn't 100, it was 80. A few things you might want to know before condemning me (us).
1) The store had at least 100 more (in addition to the 80 we put into our cart).
2) My fiancee and I are getting married in October, and we were buying these as wedding favors for our guests.

The reason they shot us down is that they claimed that anything over 5 had to be done as a bulk purchase, and the people who handle that were not in the store, so they only let us get 5 each (they suggested we order over the internet, which turned out to not work at that time, or come back with cash and a bunch of people). Rivergate didn't stipulate any such limitation, and the customer service person at Hickory Hollow stated that there is usually a limit of 5 per person per item, but, that according to the manager, it would not apply to this, because of the way it was being sold (they consider it a sort of gift card, hence not charging tax).

Between the three stores, we were able to get all we needed and still leave plenty more (except at Rivergate, which didn't have many to begin with). Hickory Hollow had a bunch (and still had plenty when we left), but they weren't out on the floor, they had to be requested at customer service. We never made it back to Cool Springs, so they probably still have close to 200. They rang up as $5 at both Rivergate and Cool Springs, with the checkout person having to enter a promotional code for each one, which knocked the price way up, but then the system took it off at the end. At Hickory Hollow, they rang up differently, but they still ended up being $5 with no tax when the CSR finished.

Judge me if you will, but I don't think I did anything wrong. I did not get these to try to make a profit. I don't think that I kept anyone from getting in on this deal, unless they only checked Rivergate. When the CSR at Hickory Hollow tried to hand me an additional box of 4, over and above what I had paid for, I pointed out her mistake.[/QUOTE]

that's still overkill even if it's for gifts for your wedding guests, but if you want to buy dozens of them, be my guest..but leave some for other people who want 1 or 2 for themselves. Even if it came up 1 dollar, I still wouldn't buy all the store's inventory. If this was a clearance item or they had no more and I came home to find out all of them were broken/defective and no longer supported by RCA, then it would be a major hit on my wallet.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']One question- when listening to a long podcast, is there any way to power off and resume the .mp3 later? Every time I try it's back to the start of the file.[/QUOTE]

from what I can tell, I don't think so.

[quote name='ITDEFX']that's still overkill even if it's for gifts for your wedding guests, but if you want to buy dozens of them, be my guest..but leave some for other people who want 1 or 2 for themselves. Even if it came up 1 dollar, I still wouldn't buy all the store's inventory. If this was a clearance item or they had no more and I came home to find out all of them were broken/defective and no longer supported by RCA, then it would be a major hit on my wallet.[/quote]

I see no problem with what he did at all...he's actually quite smart, the players make a great gift. And he didn't prevent anyone from buying one as he said the store had over 200...he only wanted 80 of them. There wasn't like a mad rush for these things anyways, as my CC had tons of them...now they are back at $20 so no one is going to care about them anyways.

Also, the rock setting sounds really good as well as the player in general...maybe you just got a bad player cow_tipper, because out of the four I have, they sound great!

[quote name='ITDEFX']that's still overkill even if it's for gifts for your wedding guests, but if you want to buy dozens of them, be my guest..but leave some for other people who want 1 or 2 for themselves. Even if it came up 1 dollar, I still wouldn't buy all the store's inventory. If this was a clearance item or they had no more and I came home to find out all of them were broken/defective and no longer supported by RCA, then it would be a major hit on my wallet.[/quote]
I don't think guessed (congratulations by the way) did anything wrong either. Is it annoying? Sure. But people flip cheap games they have no intention of playing or hoard them for eBaying on this site all the time. To me that's more annoying as the main motivation is to make a profit at the expense of depriving other people a good deal, but it's still fair.

guessed is just trying to make his wedding a little nicer, give the guy a break. Regardless, though, he didn't do anything wrong. He didn't steal them or commit fraud that hurt other consumers. He was just doing what it took to get a good deal even if it means other people miss out, happens all the time. Like on Black Friday.

The rock setting also sounds good on my player.

[quote name='ngamer007']The pricing mistake should be fixed by now.[/QUOTE]

Was it a price mistake? At my local CC the shelf tag said $5.00. I figured it was just a price drop

For all you that bought this emusic player and it doesn't work or freezes all the time: I sent mine in for repair and they sent me back a new in box RCA TH1101. It is a good step up as far as features go (1 GB memory and a memory card slot), plus it just looks nicer (chrome finish). The down side is that it has the same screen, but no complaints for an upgrde that cost only shipping of the broken unit.

T

bread's done
Back