(DEAD) Alien Anthology Blu-Ray $40.99 - Amazon DOTD

Not a bad price, though B&N had it for ~$38 the other day after coupon, but you'd have to pay taxes there and most don't at amz (I do at both sadly)

Great set minus Alien 4, that price is worth it alone for the first 2 movies in the nice box set. I bought it for $70 and dont regret it!!!

I ditched my DVD set a while back in anticipation of eventually buying this. Though I had the original Alien Legacy boxed set on DVD rather than the Quadrilogy.

I love the first two movies and by all accounts they look awesome on Blu.

Yep, that's me too. I probably paid too much for the Quadrilogy back in the day and don't know if I should bite on the upgrade, even though part 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know they did a pretty nice looking overhaul visually. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thanks. Finally bit the bullet on this. Had passed on the UK version a few times as I prefer the US packaging.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, doesn't figure that soon as I break down and order from UK everyone wants to start selling this for close to the $40 price point I was waiting for lol. Ah well, for the $20 I paid I really can't complain.

I've had this for a while now. The case itself looks cool as hell and is very well made. The movies look fantastic and there are a shit ton of extras.

Yah I picked up the UK one for 23.99 Shipped. Especially since I have heard horror stories about the US one not playing in certain players :(

I somehow have never seen any of these. I will probably just pick up the first on BR and skip the others. Good deal though.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I somehow have never seen any of these. I will probably just pick up the first on BR and skip the others. Good deal though.[/QUOTE]

Aliens is just as good if not better than the first

Alien 3 was terrible but 1-2 aren't.

I have the UK version but love the US packaging. Are there any differences in PQ between this and the UK version?

EDIT:eek:rdered one for 26.99 after some credit I got, I figure I can get close to that for my UK set. I want these to be playable in all players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I knew it. Somebody always bashes Alien 3 and I just can't fathom why. Maybe it's because I was like 10 when I first saw it but I thought it was awesome. In fact, I don't know how people can stand Aliens because they took a great sci-fi horror franchise and Cameronized/Bayed it into an action flick. Pure rubbish.

Alien 3 isn't bad, just doesn't live up to the first 2 IMO. And yes, Aliens is an action flick rather than sci-fi horror for sure, but it's a great action flick IMO. Alien Resurrection is just garbage though.

Anyway, that was fast! Ordered yesterday afternoon and it's already out for delivery! I love Amazon Prime!

[quote name='slickkill77']Aliens is just as good if not better than the first[/QUOTE]

Depends what you like, Alien is easily one of my favorite 3 movies and I think Aliens sucks.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol I knew it. Somebody always bashes Alien 3 and I just can't fathom why. Maybe it's because I was like 10 when I first saw it but I thought it was awesome. In fact, I don't know how people can stand Aliens because they took a great sci-fi horror franchise and Cameronized/Bayed it into an action flick. Pure rubbish.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I have had this set a year and still haven't watching the last two and I've never seen them. I'll have to do so soon.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Alien Resurrection is just garbage though.[/QUOTE]
I keep forgetting that one even exists, sort of like Crystal Skull. I've never seen it and owning this set hasn't changed that lol.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol I knew it. Somebody always bashes Alien 3 and I just can't fathom why. Maybe it's because I was like 10 when I first saw it but I thought it was awesome. In fact, I don't know how people can stand Aliens because they took a great sci-fi horror franchise and Cameronized/Bayed it into an action flick. Pure rubbish.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the director's cut of Alien 3 was vastly superior to the regular version. I just didn't like the inmates, I found them annoying. I guess it's not a terrible movie..but I just didn't care for it. And I love Fincher's movies.

What are the packaging differences everyone keeps talking about???

I got the UK version for $23 and have no complaints, but I'm just wondering.

The US packaging is book style like the Star Wars complete saga.

Very cool packaging IMO. Doesn't matter if you're not a collector type and just want the movies of course.

Yeah I like the book style better, but If I had to choose I'd still probably go with the UK set just because it''s much cheaper. At least I'd hope my cheapness would trump my packaging preferences :D

Yeah, I'm not that much of a cheapass anymore and movies are the one thing I do collect (honestly, I hardly every watch any of the 300 some movies I own as I mainly watch my netflix rentals). :D

[quote name='mr_bungle']To be fair, the director's cut of Alien 3 was vastly superior to the regular version. I just didn't like the inmates, I found them annoying. I guess it's not a terrible movie..but I just didn't care for it. And I love Fincher's movies.[/QUOTE]
See, that's what I don't get. I thought the inmates were well done and had enough material alone to warrant a side-story just about their brotherhood. It really added to the story in a sense that they were well established and Ripley genuinely happened to enter their world as it were. Just putting all those personalities in a room was highly entertaining to me.

Perhaps that's why some people hate it, because it focuses more on the penal colony itself rather than the alien. For me, it just made it more sincere.

For me it was more that it didn't match the horror of Alien nor the action of Aliens.

Kind of fell between them and thus just isn't as compelling a movie IMO. I enjoy it (unlike Resurrection), but it's not a classic like the first two IMO.

[quote name='Jodou']See, that's what I don't get. I thought the inmates were well done and had enough material alone to warrant a side-story just about their brotherhood. It really added to the story in a sense that they were well established and Ripley genuinely happened to enter their world as it were. Just putting all those personalities in a room was highly entertaining to me.

Perhaps that's why some people hate it, because it focuses more on the penal colony itself rather than the alien. For me, it just made it more sincere.[/QUOTE]

I might have to give it another chance. But hey, different strokes for different folks. I love movies in general, and have tons of guilty pleasures. Alien 3 was far superior made than a lot of movies I like, most likely..lol.

I always hated Alien 3 for a really simple (and probably dumb) reason:

They killed Newt right in the beginning. I was like, "WTF, they spent half the last movie saving this girl, and unceremoniously kill her off so they don't have to deal with her in this one!" It really put me in a bad mood for the whole movie

Frankly, though, I'm excited to give it another chance with the director's cut. I only saw it the one time in the theater.

Yeah, that was a problem with the movie as well. I look forward to watching the director's cut as well. I don't think I've ever seen it as I had the original Alien boxed set on DVD, rather than the Quadriology.

[quote name='simmias']I always hated Alien 3 for a really simple (and probably dumb) reason:

They killed Newt right in the beginning. I was like, "WTF, they spent half the last movie saving this girl, and unceremoniously kill her off so they don't have to deal with her in this one!" It really put me in a bad mood for the whole movie

Frankly, though, I'm excited to give it another chance with the director's cut. I only saw it the one time in the theater.[/QUOTE]
I can understand why though, as the focus should be on Ripley.

Anyone else get a damaged set? Mine arrived yesterday and it looked like someone beat the sides to death, they were white from wear, opened up the packaging and the little paper on the back was loose, there was a tear in the top right corner and bottom left corner, and the discs had dust, and one had a hair. It was clearly repackaged, but they're sending a replacement. I love amazon so much.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Anyone else get a damaged set? Mine arrived yesterday and it looked like someone beat the sides to death, they were white from wear, opened up the packaging and the little paper on the back was loose, there was a tear in the top right corner and bottom left corner, and the discs had dust, and one had a hair. It was clearly repackaged, but they're sending a replacement. I love amazon so much.[/QUOTE]
Yep, common practice at Amazon now it seems. :\

[quote name='mr_bungle']I love amazon so much.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I can't tell if that was sarcasm, or if you're actually praising amazon for sending you a replacement, despite them originally screwing you over by sending you a used product labeled as new.

Mine was new and arrived in great condition.

Sucks that they're sending out used stuff, but at least they're quick to replace it I guess.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I can't tell if that was sarcasm, or if you're actually praising amazon for sending you a replacement, despite them originally screwing you over by sending you a used product labeled as new.[/QUOTE]

I meant it as sincere. Yeah it sucks, but the fact that they get it to me so quick and all, plus last night they issued me a $20 credit for some trouble I had with a different order, they just have good CS. Sucks that the bill to have state tax on them now is going into effect, they were the ones that got 99.9% of my business.

bread's done
Back