(DEAD) Amazon DOTD - Rome: The Complete Series Blu-ray 59.99

Yeah, this is a tough one for me, if only because I spent too much on BF already. I'm very tempted to pick this one up at this price, and don't see it being cheaper any time soon (I mean, this one came out like a couple weeks ago?), but I've been oh so wrong on this kind of thing before... :p

One thing in favor of waiting is that I don't think many disc sets can sustain being over $100 for too long.

I'd wait. I'm sure this will be down to around $40 or less eventually. I'm hoping that there will be another 50% off HBO set deal again this year.

I got Band of Brothers for around $33 last year that way. I'd probably pony up the dough for both Rome and Generation Kill depending on their prices.

I am so glad I decided to check CAG before going to bed. Thanks for the post, I was about to buy this the other day at $83.99, but decided to buy something else and wait until next week to buy it. Glad I waited.

A really great series.
I'll wait until its around 40-50. though. Its well worth 60 but im to cheap since ive already watch it several times on HBO.

I just looked and the DVD series is on sale for 39.99.

I still want bluray though.

whoa, never seen it at this price and it's def worth the buy.

been watching some episodes online, lol.

[quote name='lolwut?']I'd wait. I'm sure this will be down to around $40 or less eventually. I'm hoping that there will be another 50% off HBO set deal again this year.

I got Band of Brothers for around $33 last year that way. I'd probably pony up the dough for both Rome and Generation Kill depending on their prices.[/QUOTE]
I think you're right. John Adams and TrueBlood dropped to around $25. I don't think $40 is out of the question.

I'm waiting for $40 on BD, since I've already seen the entire series. This is the cheapest I've seen it so far, but Band of Brothers has hit the $40 mark many times and so will this.

really tempting, but having seen it fairly recently, I think I can keep waiting for something in the $40s (if it ever comes).

[quote name='vx2']Can anyone who has it comment on the packaging?[/QUOTE]

I bought this set when it first came out. The packaging is of a very high quality with a nice design. The set is in a thick, sturdy cardboard sleeve that has a satin finish. There is a removable cardboard piece (attached with gummy glue) that has the set description and barcode on the back and a small "dog ear" that wraps around to the front. The discs are held in a "book" make of 2mm thick cardstock pages. It is difficult to describe how they are held in, so please see the pictures. You slip them into the front face of the "page" and they are held in so that they do not move around at all. The opposite page describes the episodes on the disc. The "book" even has a ribbon bookmark built in. I am very satisfied with the quality of the set.

Please click on the "Show Spoilers" button to load all of the photos.

The whole set:
UJokt.jpg

Front view w/ removable cardboard piece:
Ih18V.jpg

Back view w/ removable cardboard piece:
BzcOK.jpg

Inside view of book pages:
Vq1Ln.jpg

Close-up of disc sleeve within book page:
AiYCO.jpg

Top view of book showing binding and thickness of pages:
wJoX5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']I'm waiting for $40 on BD, since I've already seen the entire series. This is the cheapest I've seen it so far, but Band of Brothers has hit the $40 mark many times and so will this.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget though, the retail price for Band of Brothers is $100, Rome is $140. Even with those 50% off sale, I don't imagine it would fall below $60 anytime soon.

[quote name='toogood']Don't forget though, the retail price for Band of Brothers is $100, Rome is $140. Even with those 50% off sale, I don't imagine it would fall below $60 anytime soon.[/QUOTE]
Then they shouldn't expect to see my money anytime soon. ;)

[quote name='Jodou']Then they shouldn't expect to see my money anytime soon. ;)[/QUOTE]
It's of course your choice in how to spend your money, but $60 for two seasons (22 hours!) in Blu-Ray is a very good deal. That's $30 a season, which is what the Blu-Ray version of most HBO single-season sets run when they have reached rock bottom (such as True Blood).

I agree that you will probably not see it drop below this price unless you buy it used.

I fucking hate you guys lol. Here I am trying to rationalize holding off and then remembering I still had about $30 of credit to blow with nothing coming out til next year. I also just put together a new sound system and this would be the perfect show to test it with. You guys owe me $20 when it drops to $40 GDI! :bomb:

I don't think $40 is out of the question, but yeah I don't see it happening for a good while. I'm sure HBO has a ways to go before they make back what they spent on the show plus interest.

But if I had easy access to a Big Lots I'm sure I would hold off...

lol; I doubt it was 50% off the MSRP on the sale, otherwise Band of Brothers would've cost me around $50, and that wasn't the case.

Regardless, I have a fuckload of Blu's I still haven't watched, and I have no problems waiting a year for it to drop in price; it's not going anywhere.

[quote name='dino88']Best Buy's 50% off HBO sales have always been off msrp.[/QUOTE]

And with what HBO thinks the sets are worth, you still take it up that ass even with a 50% discount.

Critical reception
Rome has garnered much media attention with mostly positive reviews.[29] Alessandra Stanley from The New York Times said: "But behind all that gritty squalor the glory that was Rome gets lost," while reviewing season 2.[30] Lisa Schwarzbaum from Entertainment Weekly gave season 2 a B and commented on the "spectacular" clothing design.[31] Sean Woods from Rolling Stone Magazine called the series "masterful" and "epic" and gave the series 3.5 out of 4.[32] Michael Ventre from Variety Magazine was positive towards the series and was intrigued by the "complex" character of Atia of the Julii.[33] James Poniewozik from Time Magazine commented on the "slow start," but further stated that the series "draws you" to the ancient city of Rome.[34] Empire Magazine reviewer Helen O'Hara said: "Not as good-looking as Gladiator, perhaps, but richer in (reasonably accurate) history and texture," and gave season 1 of Rome four out of five stars.[35] Robert Bianco from USA Today called season 2 "the fall of Rome"," commenting that season 2 was not as good as season 1.[36] Linda Stasi from the The New York Post called herself a "slave".[37] Melanie McFarland from Seattle Post-Intelligencer called season 2 "at top of its form" and said it was as good as the former season.[38] An unnamed reviewer from The Guardian called the series "splendidly ambitious."[39] Eric Neigher from Slant Magazine called season 1 of Rome "good art."[40] Robert Abele from LA Weekly called it the "most lavish dramatic series yet" released by HBO.[40]

Wikipedia

i bit. i heard awesome things about it. my dad saw the first season and said it was great. hbo makes amazing shows, and at 60$ (30$ a season) this is more than fair. keep in mind that John Adams and Band of Brothers were shorter than 1 season of this, with BoB being a 100$ dvd for like 2+ years before prices started to fall, and with the bluray out over a year now too, it still hovers at 40-50$. Even with BestBuy's 50% hbo, youre looking at a 70$ price tag for Rome.

ive never seen the show, and BD is just the best way to experience this lavish show. cant wait till it comes! (and yes, like some of you i have a huge BD backlog, especially with amazon's BF deals. i spent over 200$ on blus the last couple weeks for sure. damnit.

bread's done
Back