*DEAD* Amazon: Up to 55% Off Studio Ghibli Films on DVD and Blu-ray

Dude! Thanks for the Disney rewards idea. I wasn't wanting to drop $90 on 5 blu rays ATM, so this is a nice way to get them cheap. In sure I can find 2-3 movies to buy at full price in the next 2 years.

One thing though. I never seen any of these movies but I hear so many good things about them. Are they worth a blind buy?

[quote name='Vap']Dude! Thanks for the Disney rewards idea. I wasn't wanting to drop $90 on 5 blu rays ATM, so this is a nice way to get them cheap. In sure I can find 2-3 movies to buy at full price in the next 2 years.

One thing though. I never seen any of these movies but I hear so many good things about them. Are they worth a blind buy?[/QUOTE]

Almost all of them are worth a blind buy. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are amazing, although they are not out on Blu-ray. Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro are coming out on Blu-ray May 21st (next week). Castle in the Sky is also very good as is Nausicaa, both are out on Blu-ray.

Unless you're a completely heartless b*stard with no soul or someone that absolutely can't stand the very concept of "cartoons," than yes, the Ghibli movies are worth a blind buy. You won't regret watching and owning them.

[quote name='Vap']One thing though. I never seen any of these movies but I hear so many good things about them. Are they worth a blind buy?[/QUOTE]

The worst Studio Ghibli film kicks 98% of western animated films square in the nuts. Studio Ghilbli is better than most other studios on their worst day. They are the Pixar of Japan.

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Nausica are all stellar, well worth a blind purchase. The rest are slightly less awesome, but still excellent. Grave of the Fireflies is well known for being one of the most tragic animated films in history. If you don't cry at the end of Grave of the Fireflies, you have no soul.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just a heads-up, that From Up on Poppy Hill will be released on September 3rd, and pre-orders are up on Amazon. It's not released by Disney, but still has a solid english voiced cast:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Poppy-Hi...809037&sr=8-14&keywords=from+up+on+poppy+hill[/QUOTE]
Interesting. I had to DL a fansub because no theaters around here picked it up, but I can see why Disney didn't pick it up. It deals with some not so family friendly topics hehe.
[quote name='Richard Kain']The worst Studio Ghibli film kicks 98% of western animated films square in the nuts. Studio Ghilbli is better than most other studios on their worst day. They are the Pixar of Japan.[/QUOTE]
Just stay the hell away from Earthsea lol. Easily their worst film.

[quote name='kill3r7']Almost all of them are worth a blind buy. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are amazing, although they are not out on Blu-ray. [/QUOTE]

If these two were out already on :br: and part of this sale, I would probably bite. Both excellent movies.

Still thinking about Nausica as it's the only one in the list that I've seen besides the two above. All this talk about the others has me considering a few.

[quote name='Jodou']Just stay the hell away from Earthsea lol. Easily their worst film.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Earthsea was horrible.

Ponyo is a good film, but it is extremely childish. It is about halfway between Nick Jr.-level and Hanna Barbara/Filmation level. Whispers of the Heart and Pom Poko are well done but very YMMV.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Just joined the club and got 7 movies. Will buy Castle in the Sky from Amazon. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Exactly the same for me. Got Arrietty, Kiki, Nausica, Ponyo, Whisper of the Heart, Brave and Incredibles, with Castle in the Sky and Spirited Away from Amazon. I can pay $30 for two more bluray movies in the next two years, crossing my fingers that Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle will be added in that time, reserving those two spots just for them. :bouncy:

I decided to not buy Castle in the Sky....the only Ghibli blu I need. I too am hoping they add it to the Disney club. I only need to buy 1 more $30 title to fulfill my commitment and then I can sign up yet again. Already on my second run.

[quote name='kitsunisan'] I can pay $30 for two more bluray movies in the next two years, crossing my fingers that Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle will be added in that time, reserving those two spots just for them. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Go to website. If you buy another movie first, you can pre-order both for $15 each.

I don't have online access as I just did the Disney account thing, but what do you mean, more specifically? I am not seeing anything unless you mean after I log in, which I can't do for another day or two.

Great, thanks. Well, that will work out pretty well with wrapping up the plan and getting all the films for a great price.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I decided to not buy Castle in the Sky....the only Ghibli blu I need. I too am hoping they add it to the Disney club. I only need to buy 1 more $30 title to fulfill my commitment and then I can sign up yet again. Already on my second run.[/QUOTE]

How do you sign-up again?

[quote name='Quintessence']How do you sign-up again?[/QUOTE]

I dunno. They just let me. I did use a different credit card, billing address, and email address though. But I've heard of others signing up multiple times as well. I'm going to try again once I get my last title, but don't know when that'll be. Waiting for another double feature like they did with Hunchback and Brother Bear. Hoping they do it with the upcoming August releases.

Not sure how popular this idea will be to some but since the ghibli films hold their value so well you could use the rewards program to get an extra copy of some and resell on amazon.

Might have been, mine still has not shipped. I did order late, 5pm est, so it seems there is a backup somewhere.

i know this is an old topic, but is Ponyo supposed to have a slip-case? but the other titles like Castle in the Sky & Whisper to the Heart arrived with slip cases.

been wanting to ask this question for sometime now but it slipped my mind.

i know this is an old topic, but is Ponyo supposed to have a slip-case? but the other titles like Castle in the Sky & Whisper to the Heart arrived with slip cases.

been wanting to ask this question for sometime now but it slipped my mind.
Yea it should have one. The one I bought from Best Buy has one, and all of the Bluray titles in my collection have it (some of the DVDs don't but I don't think they have them at all)

According to the good folks at the blu-ray forum, the Ponyo slip is rare.  I just got one from DMC without a slip and was told that was normal.  No idea why Ponyo's slip was so limited compared to the rest.

bread's done
Back