(DEAD) Buy Any 2 Upcoming Studio Ghibli Blu-ray titles for $38 at Best Buy

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update: Amazon has now pricematched Best Buy's prices!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1365259902&pf_rd_i=B005LAIGXM

Best Buy has an amazing deal on the upcoming Disney/Studio Ghibli titles (Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, and Laputa: Castle in the SKy. They currently have them for $22.99 each, which already is cheaper than anywhere else. But if you buy 2 of them you save an additional $8 instantly. So basically once you add both to your cart the total comes to $37.98 before taxes. I can't imagine these will be any cheaper by the time they're released (which is 5/22). Each film includes a Blu-ray and DVD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat271500050004

Update:

Just a heads-up that Target will have this same deal in their ad for 5/20-5/26. It's possible BB will too, but this at least bodes well for a stacking opportunity if Disney releases any coupons of their own.

I think the fact that it's in the ad means there's a good chance Amazon will match these prices. Especially if BB has it for this price in their ad too

(credit: blu-ray.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hiamiyumi']I went to Target,Bestbuy today and there is no $8 off coupon stickers on them.[/QUOTE]

How much are the "Secret of Arrietty," "Castle in the Sky" and "Whisper of the Heart" Blu-rays IN-STORE at Best Buy? In this week's ad, I saw the Secret of Arrietty DVD advertised but nothing else Ghibli-related.

-Amazon if you want Arrietty and an older Ghibli
-Bestbuy.com if you want to choose any 2 new ghibli titles (i.e. no requirement to buy Arrietty)

[quote name='antlp89']Pardon my ignorance, but are these movies really worth $19 each?[/QUOTE]

I feel the same--I don't understand the draw of these, or Criterion--people seem to go nuts over "deals" for these primarily obscure films that are way over-priced.

[quote name='KyleN']I feel the same--I don't understand the draw of these, or Criterion--people seem to go nuts over "deals" for these primarily obscure films that are way over-priced.[/QUOTE]

They are mostly quality films. It's quite popular. Is it worth buying a typical Disney movie at $19? If so, it's the same deal.

[quote name='KyleN']I feel the same--I don't understand the draw of these, or Criterion--people seem to go nuts over "deals" for these primarily obscure films that are way over-priced.[/QUOTE]First off, Criterion takes their time to do pretty thorough restoration and good DVD / BD masters of their source material, so when you get the movie on disc, it's as good as it's likely to be. This of course, costs money. Also, they add in supplemental materials and the like to the package, so again, this costs money.

They're normally obscure films, though not always, and they're not for everyone. I know I've found some very interesting films in the Criterion collection, spanning back numerous decades, though they're certainly not mainstream by any sense of the word.

Usually you can find some good deals on them twice a year from Barnes and Nobles when they run sales for them at 50% off, plus 10% discounts from the club membership, as well as additional coupons that stack on top of it. I know regulars of the forum usually end up with $40 MSRP movies for somewhere between $10 - $16 per movie, sometimes cheaper.

For the Ghibli anime movies, like other people have said, they're high-quality anime movies and usually worth the money. Release week is normally the cheapest time to find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan has to release them first before we get them unfortunately. Spirited Aaway and Princess Mononoke are the ones I want most, but who knows how long we'll have to wait :(

[quote name='KyleN']I feel the same--I don't understand the draw of these, or Criterion--people seem to go nuts over "deals" for these primarily obscure films that are way over-priced.[/QUOTE]

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but bringing it up here is just asking for a reaction. Personally, I'd rather buy Ghibli and Criterion at $20 apiece than pay $6-8 for a mainstream action flick or romantic comedy.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Japan has to release them first before we get them unfortunately. Spirited Aaway and Princess Mononoke are the ones I want most, but who knows how long we'll have to wait :([/QUOTE]
Lol, yep. My DVDs need an upgrade IMO!

[quote name='rapsodist']You are of course entitled to your opinion, but bringing it up here is just asking for a reaction. Personally, I'd rather buy Ghibli and Criterion at $20 apiece than pay $6-8 for a mainstream action flick or romantic comedy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. KyleN spends a good deal of his time here in the Blu-ray 3D thread. I doubt he'd find it appropriate if someone came in there talking about how gimmicky and lame and overpriced 3D titles are, etc...Obliviousness is never welcomed

[quote name='ssjmichael']Agreed. KyleN spends a good deal of his time here in the Blu-ray 3D thread. I doubt he'd find it appropriate if someone came in there talking about how gimmicky and lame and overpriced 3D titles are, etc...Obliviousness is never welcomed[/QUOTE]

They are lame and overpriced... Yet I still have like 15 titles. Sigh.

Ok, one scene in Alice was good, and the beginning of The Lion King was too.

[quote name='Jodou']Lol, yep. My DVDs need an upgrade IMO![/QUOTE]

I keep putting off buying the Mononoke dvds, cause I keep waiting for the bluray. Back when it came out, everyone I knew had it, so I skipped.

Then I didn't have easy access to it, but I've been waiting for a bluray version for like 5 years... Sigh.

I'd buy Spirited Away also, but I'm not anxious for it.

I picked up Arrietty and Castle from amazon and wanted to pick up Whisper and Ponyo from Target. Does the Target deal let you get $8 off any two blu's or do you have to buy Arrietty like amazon to get the $8 off?

[quote name='electricsleep']I picked up Arrietty and Castle from amazon and wanted to pick up Whisper and Ponyo from Target. Does the Target deal let you get $8 off any two blu's or do you have to buy Arrietty like amazon to get the $8 off?[/QUOTE]

You have to buy Arrietty. Someone mentioned earlier that on the receipt it says each movie has a return value of $18.99, so it does seem like you can return Arrietty for instance if you just want the other title. I don't know if that's considered unethcal/immoral however since they specifically note the possibility of returning one title.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You have to buy Arrietty. Someone mentioned earlier that on the receipt it says each movie has a return value of $18.99, so it does seem like you can return Arrietty for instance if you just want the other title. I don't know if that's considered unethcal/immoral however since they specifically note the possibility of returning one title.[/QUOTE]That's how Target always works for any "bundle" deal, like a GC with purchase or "save $8 on two movies" type of deals. They split the "deal" portion of it across all the items that make up the deal so they're covered if you want to return one of the items from the deal. They started doing this when they did more GCs with purchase sales, so they wouldn't get stiffed on a full return of an item with a "free" GC.

I wouldn't say it's as unethical as other vendors where you don't get the discount split across multiple items for the return, though that's always up to the buyer of how they want to handle it. Target covers it so you don't get all your money back on the item. Especially how they handle GC with purchase items.

[quote name='bizman316']The top 2 I want released on blu-ray is:
1: Princess Monoke
2: Tales from Eathsea
I love those two movies.[/QUOTE]
JUNK. I caught it on Encore recently and wondered how I missed hearing about it. Then I saw it and knew why. Easily the worst of their movies and it's Hayao's son directing, so you can see why. I hear the books are popular but the movie did nothing for me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You have to buy Arrietty. Someone mentioned earlier that on the receipt it says each movie has a return value of $18.99, so it does seem like you can return Arrietty for instance if you just want the other title. I don't know if that's considered unethcal/immoral however since they specifically note the possibility of returning one title.[/QUOTE]

I might try that out, but I'd probably only do it once. Anybody have any recommendations on which one I should get Whisper or Ponyo? Too bad you can't price match Ponyo to Target and get the discount at BB.

Both of those are fantastic (Whispers & Ponyo). Whispers is really "slice of life" tho, so some might consider it dull - personally, it's one of my favorite Ghibli movies. Ponyo is more "classic" Ghibli style. Really depends on what you prefer, but you can't go wrong either way imo.

[quote name='argyle']Both of those are fantastic (Whispers & Ponyo). Whispers is really "slice of life" tho, so some might consider it dull - personally, it's one of my favorite Ghibli movies. Ponyo is more "classic" Ghibli style. Really depends on what you prefer, but you can't go wrong either way imo.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Whispers is amazing, but I was sorely disappointed with Ponyo. Both myself and my girlfriend thought it was alright, but nowhere near the standard for a Ghibli film. Its' one of the few of theirs I don't feel I need to own, because there's little chance I'll ever want to watch it again.

So yeah, worth watching, but buying? Not really.

Between the two, I'd probably choose Whisper of the Heart now, mainly because Ponyo already has a precedent of dropping to ~$18 on Amazon and is likely to be discounted again in the future being out longer. There's no guarantee that Whisper, being a less popular film in the US than the theatrically released Ponyo, will see a similar discount trend down the road.

My Girlfriend wants Arrietty because it's a Ghibli film and it was our first date to go see that on launch. I would like to grab Nausicaa because I loved that movie.

Will have to see about grabbing this because it ends June 22nd on Amazon.

[quote name='INCyr']I disagree. Whispers is amazing, but I was sorely disappointed with Ponyo. Both myself and my girlfriend thought it was alright, but nowhere near the standard for a Ghibli film. Its' one of the few of theirs I don't feel I need to own, because there's little chance I'll ever want to watch it again.

So yeah, worth watching, but buying? Not really.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* I felt that way about both Mononoke and Spirited Away, and those seem to be two of the most loved Ghibli films. Different strokes & all.

For the record, my all-time favorite Ghibli is Kiki's Delivery Service. Guess I'm just a sucker for the slice of life stuff.

anyone else having trouble finding anything other than Ariety? None of the stores around here have either Castle in the Sky, or Whispers of the heart which are the only other 2 I dont have. I guess I may have to go through Amazon though id prefer the BB reward points. They dont do free shipping anymore, do they?

I ended up getting Arrietty and Castle in the Sky at Target, along with a few assorted things I wanted to pick up anyways.

Got the $8 off plus used the $5 off $50 coupon from the shopkick app.

[quote name='Kenshindono']anyone else having trouble finding anything other than Ariety? None of the stores around here have either Castle in the Sky, or Whispers of the heart which are the only other 2 I dont have. I guess I may have to go through Amazon though id prefer the BB reward points. They dont do free shipping anymore, do they?[/QUOTE]

Your not the only one. Over at tos a lot of people said they couldn't locate them in their areas. I myself was not able to find Whisper or Castle. They only place I could get them was at BB in a different state. BB really dropped the ball on this one because they had a lot of potential sells.

My local BB and WM only had Arrietty. I don't have a Target around me but they had limited quantities. And TRU only had the DVD.

Whispers is amazing. A little too much "take me home, country roads". Otherwise, the characters totally draw you in. I love "slice of life" anime.

Arrietty is very similar... it's slice of life for the borrowers, with a few dramatic events thrown in.

[quote name='HunteR7411']Did anyone else only get 100 bonus points for castle in the sky? The other 2 gave 125 points bonus.[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to get 250 points on each this first week. You need to contact Disney because they owe you 400 points.

arriettyhero630x325mech1337702624342.jpg

[quote name='Kenshindono']anyone else having trouble finding anything other than Ariety? None of the stores around here have either Castle in the Sky, or Whispers of the heart which are the only other 2 I dont have. I guess I may have to go through Amazon though id prefer the BB reward points. They dont do free shipping anymore, do they?[/QUOTE]
My store had exactly two of each, with maybe 7 copies of Arrietty. These might actually be rare right now if you have a lot of people looking in your area. Picked up all three to swap covers with the damaged ones from Amazon and I'll keep Whispers at $18.99. ;)

[quote name='HunteR7411']Did anyone else only get 100 bonus points for castle in the sky? The other 2 gave 125 points bonus.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that while it said that 125 points were added, I received 250 for both Laputa and Arrietty.

i tried to add pts for another Arrietty i bought but it wouldnt let me..didnt know you could only add pts for 1 copy.

I went to three Best Buy's today, two stand alone and one much larger mall store. It was interesting that the two smaller stand alone stores only had Arrietty. The larger mall store had all three new releases, but only a few copies of Laputa and Whisper. I brought Laputa and Whisper to the counter and it did not automatically take off the $8. I showed the cashier the website special and he adjusted no problem.

On a side note, I noticed that only the mall store is carrying the Ghost Rider steel book pre-order. I have yet to see it at the smaller stores. I did find a Diablo 3 collectors edition at a smaller store today. :)

Probably not. Those prices might be gone after today even. They matched Best Buy and/or Target's price for those, and usually stops matching once those retailers do.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Probably not. Those prices might be gone after today even. They matched Best Buy and/or Target's price for those, and usually stops matching once those retailers do.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Just ordered castle in the sky w/ Arrietty. Might just pick up whisper of the heart at target or best buy since you can only save eight dollars on one movie

Yeah, I got the last copy of Castle in the Sky (even though CS said there were 6. There were 2 copies of Whisper, I ended up getting one of those. Lastly there were a bunch of Arreitty which I didn't get.

Castle was hard to find, but lucky I found that one. Maybe the lack of stock is because today is the end of the sale.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You're supposed to get 250 points on each this first week. You need to contact Disney because they owe you 400 points.

arriettyhero630x325mech1337702624342.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Where did you find this? I don't see it on the DMR site.

[quote name='Demon Soul']Where did you find this? I don't see it on the DMR site.[/QUOTE]

its on the main page of the DMR site. scrolls by with the Muppet offer and few other offers.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Someone tell me what to buy! Nausicaa is probably my favorite work of animation ever but I've never seen Castle in The Sky or Arrietty.[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed Nausicaa, you'll probably enjoy one of the older Ghibli films directed by Hayao Miyazaki himself, rather than Arrietty (Miyazaki only worked on the screenplay for Arrietty). In this case, you can't lose with "Castle in the Sky"---it's one of my favorite movies of all time :)

Also, I picked up all 3 of the new Disney releases of the Ghibli Blu-rays today! I got the last copy of Whisper of the Heart BD and Secret of Arrietty BD at my local Target, and then I went over to my Best Buy to use my $25 gift card on their last copy of Castle in the Sky BD :cool:

bread's done
Back