*DEAD* Circuit City mistake - 5 dollar games!! (YMMV)

^^ you rhymed. Thats an awesome deal. Sometimes you just luck out. Hope your kharma for knowing the glitch existed doesnt come back (hence the cd?)

Two different north Indy locations had tons of selection and no hassles around lunchtime. When I was there today, I only knew about the GH, PC, PH. Catching a few of the above posts, it looks like I should go back for more. Is there a single post that sums up ALL selections? Thanks in advance. Oh, and thank you to the OP.

In the meantime, I'll go back through the thread . . .

[quote name='IndyDad']Two different north Indy locations had tons of selection and no hassles around lunchtime. When I was there today, I only knew about the GH, PC, PH. Catching a few of the above posts, it looks like I should go back for more. Is there a single post that sums up ALL selections? Thanks in advance. Oh, and thank you to the OP.

In the meantime, I'll go back through the thread . . .[/quote]

In short:
PC/PH/GH regularly priced at $19.99 (there are some higher or lower so they won't work)
Certain PS2/Xbox/GC videogames priced at 19.99

Basically if the regular retail price of said item is $19.99 and you buy them in pairs of 2, it SHOULD work... but the crackdown is acomin... some stopped Sunday, some today (my store), some might tomorrow... some might just let it go as a pricing error and honor ir all week... usually when Target misprices or prints something not yet out, they have a huge sign near the door stating the ad's error... CC's are basically doing as necessary, either to let the holiday traffic do as they please or shut it down before SOME folks go apeshit and try to buy the whole store.

Crap, I just checked my moms recipt and it says that each game was $15. I asked my mom and she said that the computer showed it as $5, but the manager changed the price :(. I guess I will need to return all these games.

Does this mean that all 19.99 priced games will ring up 2 for 30 (if they fixed the system for the 2 for 10 part but neglected to fix the part where it had to be 2 GH/PH/PC).

i doubt that anyone cares now but easton in columbus ohio is well aware of the glitch, so if you want one more stab at it, go to the sawmill store because as of 7pm or so give or take, they were still ringing them up as 4.99
good luck and total props to the OP

I wonder how the OP got news of this deal. Was it that he went to the store and stumbeled upot this deal, or did he just see it on another forum?

[quote name='fragmanslayer']Does this mean that all 19.99 priced games will ring up 2 for 30 (if they fixed the system for the 2 for 10 part but neglected to fix the part where it had to be 2 GH/PH/PC).[/quote]

The glitch, more or less, isn't doing the 2 for $30 on $19.99 Hits-esque games. It's taking $15 off per title that happens to be $19.99, Hits type title or not, as long as you have an even number to buy.

I would say that the game is over at the Northpoint store in Alpharetta, GA. I got 8 games at lunch without trouble, but tonight, there was discussion among cashiers when I was ringing up.

Strange happening, too. I had Splinter Cell and Crimson Skies for a friend, and PGRacing2 for another buddy, and Mario Golf for me.

Skies and Cell rang up at $5, but the other two rang up AS THE SALE SHOULD WORK. $15 each. At this point, a guy was attempting to get the girl to override the whole transaction, but I kinda raised an eyebrow, and he waved it off and let me get my 2 cheapies, so I walked with the 4 for $42. I think I'll be returning both of them, but I didn't want to rock the boat at that point.

Anyway, I was totally thrown off by this. Anyone else had any actually ring up at $15 each?

[quote name='randomnatorx']I would say that the game is over at the Northpoint store in Alpharetta, GA. I got 8 games at lunch without trouble, but tonight, there was discussion among cashiers when I was ringing up.

Strange happening, too. I had Splinter Cell and Crimson Skies for a friend, and PGRacing2 for another buddy, and Mario Golf for me.

Skies and Cell rang up at $5, but the other two rang up AS THE SALE SHOULD WORK. $15 each. At this point, a guy was attempting to get the girl to override the whole transaction, but I kinda raised an eyebrow, and he waved it off and let me get my 2 cheapies, so I walked with the 4 for $42. I think I'll be returning both of them, but I didn't want to rock the boat at that point.

Anyway, I was totally thrown off by this. Anyone else had any actually ring up at $15 each?[/quote]

As per my story, the computer will flash a screen that says something about 'key in amount of PC/PH/GH'. If they say 2, then it will drop the games down to $4.99 each. If they enter just 1, it rings full price. I'm guessing some titles just wouldn't slip through.

[quote name='schultzed']We need a new term in our language . . . YLMV . . . Your Luck May Vary . . . this glitch would be a perfect example.

In the afternoon, I got shut out (it worked last night) then someone says they did it successfully at the same store 3 hours later.

The key factor right now (until they fix the computer) is your luck at the register.[/quote]

What do you think YMMV means?

Got lucky at the Flint store this afternoon. Took Project Gotham 2 and Crimson Skies to the register to see what would happen. Both rung up at $5 each. So I went back and got a bunch more:

Atari Anthology (PS2 and XB)
Crash 'N Burn (PS2)
Psi-Ops (PS2)
Second Sight (PS2)
Return of the King (GC)
Outlaw Golf 2 (PS2)
Amped 2 (XB)

...among a couple others. They seemed a little picked over. The cashier was cool. She said she planned on getting in on it later in the day. Only disappointment was no Nicktoons Movin' and I would have preferred Crash 'N Burn for XBox, but for $5 I'm not complaining. Thanks OP. Let those who dissed you die in horrible agony! Or at least feel a little guilty.

-DM

As of 8:30PM Union, NJ CC is still a go! Grabbed Manhunt, and FFX2 (Both non-GH covers) for $10. I ran into a some parents buying games for their kids. A guy said he came back after seeing the games ring up for $5, so I helped him find some that would be cool for his son. One woman was buying games for a foster kid center, and when she heard from the other guy, she bought about a dozen. Apparently some cashiers their knew and did not care (One was kind of encouraging it), the one I went to did the :shock: "this can't be right, but shaq-fu it all if I care". So NBA 2K5, Midway 2, FFX2, and Manhunt 4 for the price of 1!! Vive La CAG! \:D/

Again to the OP (Who I admit I doubted): :notworth:

Mixed success at Vestal (Binghamton), NY.

I tried it once with Midway Arcade Treasures 2 and Atari Anthology. They both rang up 5.00, so I went back for 6 more that I wanted. Then when that worked I got greedy... I went back for about a dozen more. I tried to get gifts for people, and a few other games I wanted to round out my collection. In my haste I picked up a Max Payne 2 (19.96), and I'm not sure if it was just that or what, but they all rang up 15.00 except NFL Street (PS2) and Manhunt (PS2), which both rang up 5.00. I walked right over and returned the 10-12 other games, and decided to cut my losses. I got 10 games that I really wanted for 50 bucks, so I'm happy.

Thanks OP!

I feel extremely lucky that I got the 4 games that I truly wanted, and feel even luckier that I saw no EBay mongers or hoarders at my store. :) Hopefully a good margin of the people here got in on the deal...it definitely sounds like they did.

Circuit City must be basically bleeding money at this point. "Quick, stuff a high-level executive in the wound to stop the flow!!!"

[quote name='ramprider0']So I take it that the Tom Clancy platinum hit triple pack won't ring in at 4.99$ because its originally 39.99$?[/quote]

Yes and you can forget the GTA Double Pack (PS2 version is in a GH style box) too... I tried both the previous day.. denied...

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='ramprider0']So I take it that the Tom Clancy platinum hit triple pack won't ring in at 4.99$ because its originally 39.99$?[/quote]

Yes and you can forget the GTA Double Pack (PS2 version is in a GH style box) too... I tried both the previous day.. denied...[/quote]
Okay then thats why it didn't work for me, I guess I'll have to go back tonight and get me some games.

its was over here in fort wayne Sunday they were keying in the normal price. Got a question though

Anyone know of any real good PC gamecube games

Picking up mario golf and need another game

the chesterfield, MO and the St. peters, MO stores both have fixed the glitch, so it's a no-go there :(

[quote name='Magician']Well, I got back from my Circuit City a few hours ago. I wanted Jak II and Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando so badly. They didn't even have Jak II in stock, so I picked up a copy of Vice City instead. Unfortunately, like wubb mentioned a couple of dozen pages back, the Fairfax VA location is very much on top of things. The cashier manually adjusted the price from $5 to $15. Sad for me, but I can't really complain, since it'll take me forever just to open the unplayed games in my collection, much less play them.

Congrats to any CAG who managed to score a few cheap games from this glitch! And remember to thank the OP! :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, I went last night at around 6:30 PM and they already caught the error and price adjusted it. Also, if it didn't have a PH, GH, or PC label they wouldn't even hit the button to apply the promotion so I couldn't get Project Gotham 2 and Everything or Nothing because they didn't have the special labels. Hey did you notice that the selection of titles is pretty poor at the Fairfax Circuit City? Anyway, since you and wub are in the area let me know if you have any titles for trading.

Grabbed these at Circuit City in Boynton Beach, Florida:

CC.gif

The Circuit City in Gainesville FL on Tower Road by Home Depot also fixed the glitch and I couldn't get any $4.99 games wich sucks . So don't wate you time or gas going there .

yeap they had to know the error here in fort wayne Early Sunday cause my cousin picked up 2 games and it didnt say promo code anyplace

Just said

XXXXXX 15.00
XXXXXX 15.00

XXXX would be where the name of the game went

[quote name='slidecage']its was over here in fort wayne Sunday they were keying in the normal price. Got a question though

Picking up mario golf and need another game[/quote]

Zelda Windwaker or Metroid Prime... or Need for speed underground.

They all work. :)

Just came back from Schaumburg, IL

PS2
Hot Shots Golf 3
Socom II
Ace Combat 4

GC
Finding Nemo
Animal Crossing w/Memory Card
Luigi's Mansion

XBOX
KOTOR
THUG

all $4.99 ea. This is soooo sweet. I dont really want some of these games, but hopefully I can exchange them later, like after x-mas for some good PC, GH, or PH.

[quote name='slidecage']its was over here in fort wayne Sunday they were keying in the normal price. Got a question though

Kirby's Air Ride, Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball 1 and/or 2, Zelda Wind Waker, THUG

Here are some good ones.

Soul Calibur II
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Wario World
Pikmin
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Tony Hawk's Underground

Hope that helped! :D

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Just came back from Schaumburg, IL

PS2
Hot Shots Golf 3
Socom II
Ace Combat 4

GC
Finding Nemo
Animal Crossing w/Memory Card
Luigi's Mansion

XBOX
KOTOR
THUG

all $4.99 ea. This is soooo sweet. I dont really want some of these games, but hopefully I can exchange them later, like after x-mas for some good PC, GH, or PH.[/quote]

You paid $4.99, don't return them pretending that you paid $19.99. That is low. You can probably trade on here for what you want.

I just got back from my local CC. I picked up:

PS2
Final Fantasy X (GH package)
Ratchet and Clank Going Commando (GH package)
Jak II
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Kingdom Hearts
Sly Cooper

XBOX
Midway Arcade Treasures Vol. 2
Tony Hawk's Underground
Guilty Gear X2

Gamecube
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III
Luigi's Mansion (Player's choice)
Animal Crossing (Player's choice w/ memory card)

I will probably go back in the morning and pick up a couple more, assuming the sale is still going.

anyplace in the chicago land area? Elmwood Park is a no go. Anyone else know of one who is still doing the sale?

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='schultzed']We need a new term in our language . . . YLMV . . . Your Luck May Vary . . . this glitch would be a perfect example.

In the afternoon, I got shut out (it worked last night) then someone says they did it successfully at the same store 3 hours later.

The key factor right now (until they fix the computer) is your luck at the register.[/quote]

What do you think YMMV means?[/quote]

YMMV to me is more about selection. You may have to drive to find what you are looking for.

YLMV reflects the fickle finger of fate . . . one clerk pushes the button another calls the manager . . . simple luck.

I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind picking up a few games for me at your CC. I can pay you $6 a pop and shipping costs. I'll also send you the money first so your not ripped off. I want:

Kirby Air Ride
Midway Arcade Treasures 2
Need for Speed: Underground
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Super Monkey Ball
Freedom Fighters (or Spider Man 1 if FF was not $19.99)

Sale confirmed "still on" at the St. Louis 55/270 + Lindberg South Store.

Kirby Airride
Animal Crossing
Mario Golf
Metroid Prime

Tons upon tons still in stock.

Hmm, I read about this yesterday when nobody believed the guy. I decided to pass when I read it was actually working. I've still got games from CC's last $5 sale that I've barely touched. There are only a couple $20 titles that even interest me that I don't already have and they aren't titles I think I have to have. But I have to say, it's so hard sitting here reading about the deals some of you guys are getting. It makes me want to go out and grab a couple just to say I was a part of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I get more of a rush landing a cheap deal than I do actually playing these games.

[quote name='saigumi']Sale confirmed "still on" at the St. Louis 55/270 + Lindberg South Store.

Kirby Airride
Animal Crossing
Mario Golf
Metroid Prime

Tons upon tons still in stock.[/quote]

Cool, another St. Louis CAG. :D

Went back out tonight and picked up six more GH, all 4.99 at the Castleton location in north Indy. FWIW, Bladur's Gate: Dark Alliance listed at 49.99 but rang up at 9.99. I passed. Too pricey.

[quote name='WhoDey']Hmm, I read about this yesterday when nobody believed the guy. I decided to pass when I read it was actually working. I've still got games from CC's last $5 sale that I've barely touched. There are only a couple $20 titles that even interest me that I don't already have and they aren't titles I think I have to have. But I have to say, it's so hard sitting here reading about the deals some of you guys are getting. It makes me want to go out and grab a couple just to say I was a part of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I get more of a rush landing a cheap deal than I do actually playing these games.[/quote]

I get a rush from the deals, which makes playing the game that much better.

[quote name='WhoDey']Hmm, I read about this yesterday when nobody believed the guy. I decided to pass when I read it was actually working. I've still got games from CC's last $5 sale that I've barely touched. There are only a couple $20 titles that even interest me that I don't already have and they aren't titles I think I have to have. But I have to say, it's so hard sitting here reading about the deals some of you guys are getting. It makes me want to go out and grab a couple just to say I was a part of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I get more of a rush landing a cheap deal than I do actually playing these games.[/quote]

There is an cliche that sums up your post:

"The chase is always better than the catch"

And yes, I agree with you. There are only a few games that I would be interested in and I still have several unopened games from past sales.

Was still going on here in NE Philly as of this evening...

Picked up a total of 28 games, none for eBay. 7 from me, the rest for people as work for their kids as Christmas gifts.

FS

My trip to CC was OK. I was only able to pick up 2 copies of 007: Agent Under Fire (1 for me and 1 for my friend). There were tons of games and the employees were clueless (Durham NC). I only had 5 min becasue i was on my way to tennis and was already late, so I just grabbed those games and hurried out the door. Best part was my conversation with the cashier.

Her: "I bet you thought these were gonna be $30 right?"
Me: "Nope, I knew they would be $10"
Her: "How?"
Me: "The internet, cheapassgamer.com"
Her (sounding like she has no clue): "The internet...what?"

And I leave out the door to return tomorrow hoping that she will be working again..

If anyone is still able to go out and get some games i have a request since i was shot down early today. All i want is Kingdom Hearts for PS2. I would be willing to pay for it and shipping. Its the one game i was really trying to get. I'm glad everyone was able to get in on this deal. But unfortunate for some of us we got the short end of the stick today.

I went on 12/13 at like noon and 2:30 to two different cc's and I picked up fourteen games, so thanks op and thanks to all else who contributed!

[quote name='shrike4242']
Cool, another St. Louis CAG. :D[/quote]

Not that many of us, that's why most of the deals are good for days after the sale starts.

I saw another guy there as I looked around thinking if there was anything else to buy. He was buying two GH games, most likely to test the water. I tried to give him a thumbs up, but didn't want to look suspicious. His eyes were wide watching it being rang up.

The only competition I've really had was this damn eBaying-FW'er at the Toys R Us sale earlier this year. Damn dude had a frigging shopping cart full and only the bones were left at 9:15 when I strolled in.

damn, your TRU sells bones?

no go in buff city. honey dip overrode it, i sent my girl though- maybe ill go tomorrow. anyone in buffalo have luck?

bread's done
Back