[DEAD] Deep Discount 25% off sale starting June 3

Indiana Jones

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Some of you may have gotten a postcard in the mail mentioning this sale starting June 4, but I tried out some of the usual codes and the site claims June 3.

For starters...

PRICESEARCH
YAHOO
SAVE25
NYTIMES
LATIMES
USATODAY
CJ25

Of course, the postcard does say [FONT=Verdana, Arial]that you "save an additional 25% on over 50,000 items" which could mean limited selections eligible.[/FONT]

If this is like their original 20-25% sales, it will be much better than their 40% off MSRP last time. Also be warned that a lot of prices get hiked up, so it's always good to price compare before buying.

I assume DVD Planet will have the same sale, but haven't heard anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up, OP. I was wondering when this would start this month and what % they were going to do.

Last scored Battlestar Galactica on Blu for $150. Looks like this year it was be LOST for $180!

I hate to be the one who says this but wasn't this sale just plain awesome around 4 or 5 years ago? Now, with all the deals and glitches through out the year, this sale really seems weak. It could be that I have dramatically change my spending habits and don't see the point of have a huge collection of movies that sit on the shelves and collect dust.

That said, I still like DD as a company and have had very good experiences when purchasing from them. I am going to look at a couple of titles and perhaps make a small order.

[quote name='iluvmywife']I hate to be the one who says this but wasn't this sale just plain awesome around 4 or 5 years ago? Now, with all the deals and glitches through out the year, this sale really seems weak. It could be that I have dramatically change my spending habits and don't see the point of have a huge collection of movies that sit on the shelves and collect dust.[/QUOTE]

5 years ago this wasn't a sale, it was an event. There'd be 9 pages of people's orders for dozens of DVDs by now.

Yes, within the last two years the sale has gone from being "YAY" to kinda "MEH." You can still get great deals through it, it just requires a lot more work than it once did. Plus, Amazon has gotten really wise to the DD sale and does a lot of price-matching/undercutting.

So, unlike in the past, where you could jump on the DD sale and score some amazing deals, you now have to do some research before ordering.

But, yes, this was once an "Event." I still get excited when it happens though, just don't order anywhere near as much as I once did.

[quote name='Scotts85']5 years ago this wasn't a sale, it was an event. There'd be 9 pages of people's orders for dozens of DVDs by now.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Six or seven years ago, DD used to be the site where I spent the majority of my money, and Amazon barely got any business from me. Now DD isn't even on my radar at all, and I probably spend an average of $70 a month at Amazon.

[quote name='rapsodist']QFT. Six or seven years ago, DD used to be the site where I spent the majority of my money, and Amazon barely got any business from me. Now DD isn't even on my radar at all, and I probably spend an average of $70 a month at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Same here. I remember buying DVD's for $5.99, just because they were $5.99 and that was so cheap. Now you go to Walmart and see like 500 movies in the $5 bin.

Heads up that their service seems to be going downhill a bit, last time it took them a month to restock an item and then it took over 2 weeks for me to receive it after that claimed they shipped it. Unless there are some insane deals this time I think I'd rather pay slightly more and just get it at amazon.

[quote name='funkydunkleman']Ha. Same here. I remember buying DVD's for $5.99, just because they were $5.99 and that was so cheap. Now you go to Walmart and see like 500 movies in the $5 bin.[/QUOTE]

I did the same as well. Anything that was really cheap I would just purchase. Now that I have less space to store more media, I tend to only buy movies I'm sure that I will watch often. Too bad I just bought a Blu-ray player and have to resist the cheap Blu-rays.

Whenever Deep Discount (DVD) use to have sales, they were big events. I use to spend a lot of time on DVDTalk and people would post huge list of their purchases.

If anyone's curious, this is the message I got after entering the code:

"The promo code "usatoday" is not active until June 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM Eastern."

Doctor Who looks like a good deal.

Ah yes those halcyon days of boxes filled with 25+ dvds coming twice a year.......now im lucky if I find one that I havent already bought on amazon or right stuff....lol

Gah, I forgot that this doesn't cover preorders!!! :wall:

No LOST for me... yet.

Guess I forgot that BSG came out during last Summer's sale, not before it. Same with Farscape during the Fall sale. Grrrr.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Heads up that their service seems to be going downhill a bit, last time it took them a month to restock an item and then it took over 2 weeks for me to receive it after that claimed they shipped it. Unless there are some insane deals this time I think I'd rather pay slightly more and just get it at amazon.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, depending on what was out of stock, that was the norm for me, even back in the glory days of DD sales.

It covers pre-orders if it releases before the 20th. It looks like Lost isn't part of the sale at all :(

[quote name='funkydunkleman']Ha. Same here. I remember buying DVD's for $5.99, just because they were $5.99 and that was so cheap. Now you go to Walmart and see like 500 movies in the $5 bin.[/QUOTE]

I totally remember doing that! I used to buy 30-50 DVDs at a time. Now I go through my media library and wonder why/when I ever bought some of those movies. I'm just glad that now my movie tastes and financial responsibility have both gone up.

4% cashback on Bing might help... (might)

I do see a few decent deals. True Blood season 2 for $30 is about the cheapest I've seen anywhere, as is Avatar for $14.90... but yeah, a lot of their "normal" prices got jacked way up.

I made a few purchases, but it wasn't anything special like in past years. Did a lot of price comparing and Deep Discount really didn't beat out some of the other stores that get mentioned a lot on CAG. I'd probably make more purchases at Amazon if it weren't for the absurdly high tax in my state. So saving on tax and an additional 4% via Bing was still enough savings for me, even if it was very minimal.

Not to mention that this "sale" doesn't apply to a lot of titles, like Pixar, The Wolfman and Avatar. Not that I want the latter two, just that the option to buy isn't there.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I made a few purchases, but it wasn't anything special like in past years. Did a lot of price comparing and Deep Discount really didn't beat out some of the other stores that get mentioned a lot on CAG. I'd probably make more purchases at Amazon if it weren't for the absurdly high tax in my state. So saving on tax and an additional 4% via Bing was still enough savings for me, even if it was very minimal.

Not to mention that this "sale" doesn't apply to a lot of titles, like Pixar, The Wolfman and Avatar. Not that I want the latter two, just that the option to buy isn't there.[/QUOTE]

Avatar was on sale earlier today for $14.90(?). They must have took it off the list. I noticed they have raised some of the prices from earlier in the day also.

I couldn't hold back any longer - I just pulled the trigger on all four Nana box sets, seeing as they were a good $6 cheaper than they've ever been before. My poor wallet.

Don't see much that I want/need this time around. I might get 8 1/2 on Blu-ray (Criterion collection) for $23. That's the cheapest I've seen it sell for.

[quote name='FearNixon']All I see that even slightly interests me is the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Boxset. But is $113 a good price on this?[/QUOTE]

I've seen it in the 90-100 range at Costco if that is an option might want to check there otherwise 113 is probably the best you can get at the present.

Sometimes I just like to swing by these sales so I can sort their list into lowest price first and see some of the true gems I never even knew existed. I also like how they try to make some of them so close to another movie title, I assume, to trick people into buying them.
I present you;

War Of The Worlds 2-next Wave

30,000 Leagues Under The Sea

The Day The Earth Stopped

Prices are way jacked up. Looking at getting Twilight Zone Complete collection and it's only $2 less at 25% off than Amazon's regular price. I hate when companies offer these kind of "sales".

I found showgirls on blu-ray preorder for 17.90 after the discount, which to me seem pretty fair since right now everyone is charging 20 dollars for it

Ugh, why do we bother with this year after year...there is nothing in here that won't be available in one way or another in the next couple of months through random Amazon sales. And those of you grasping for deals...you probably have a ton of unwatched movies already on your shelf. Go watch those and save your money.

[quote name='dv8mad']Sometimes I just like to swing by these sales so I can sort their list into lowest price first and see some of the true gems I never even knew existed. I also like how they try to make some of them so close to another movie title, I assume, to trick people into buying them.
I present you;

The Day The Earth Stopped[/QUOTE]

Some of these are funny though (see Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes--knock off with dinosaurs, a dragon and a cracken). Some are horrible (like The Terminators where one guy played all of the terminators). Then again, I tend to enjoy B movies, especially when they're ridiculously funny (like Silent Venom, which is pretty much snakes on a submarine). I already own Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus on DVD thanks to Hollywood Video closing, but am considering double dipping to get it on blu-ray for ~$7.

[quote name='Justin42']I do see a few decent deals. True Blood season 2 for $30 is about the cheapest I've seen anywhere, as is Avatar for $14.90... but yeah, a lot of their "normal" prices got jacked way up.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately True Blood Season 2 is now $39.98. Most prices are around the same as Amazon, maybe slightly cheaper (by less than a buck).

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on what you are trying to buy. I just bought my friend some Anime she wanted and I got it for about 9 bucks less than the cheapest price I found anywhere else.

[quote name='ZForce915']Ugh, why do we bother with this year after year...there is nothing in here that won't be available in one way or another in the next couple of months through random Amazon sales. And those of you grasping for deals...you probably have a ton of unwatched movies already on your shelf. Go watch those and save your money.[/QUOTE]
Check out this wiki entry on obsessive shopping. I think everyone here, including me, has it to some extent. Some, obviously, much worse than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oniomania

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Slick deals pointed out that Terminato Salvatiorn blu-ray and Trick R Treat blu ray are for a pretty good deal at $6.25 and $7.62. Not bad.[/QUOTE]

Just pulled the trigger on Terminator (which is now in stock). $6.25 shipped is a great deal.

I ordered The Blood Trilogy (Blood Feast/Two Thousand Maniacs!/Color Me Blood Red) for $15.30. This is likely the only purchase I will make during the sale.

[quote name='dv8mad']Sometimes I just like to swing by these sales so I can sort their list into lowest price first and see some of the true gems I never even knew existed. I also like how they try to make some of them so close to another movie title, I assume, to trick people into buying them.
I present you;

The Day The Earth Stopped[/QUOTE]

Are you buying those movies on Blu-ray? I think with The Asylum's production values already at rock bottom to begin with, their movies would actually look WORSE in quasi-HD.

You also forgot to list Transmorphers and Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus. ;)

[quote name='Indiana Jones']Are you buying those movies on Blu-ray? I think with The Asylum's production values already at rock bottom to begin with, their movies would actually look WORSE in quasi-HD.

You also forgot to list Transmorphers and Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus. ;)[/QUOTE]
War of the Worlds 2 and Transmorphers made me die a little inside, in standard definition. I suggest having someone within earshot to keep you from swallowing your tongue if you watch them in HD.

Picked up Terminator Salvation for $6.70 shipped...It should at least be something to show off the surround sound with, if nothing else....

There are only a handful of titles I'm looking for, and all ddd's sale prices are about equal to amazon's current price. Wah.

In the little browsing I did, the only set that looked significantly cheaper than msrp was the Home Movies Tenth Anniversary set. didnt compare to amazon, though. Did I read that right, it is a twelve disc set?! If I had the money, that would be a fun series to be able to wath again.

bread's done
Back