DEAD Fable 3 Absolver Hammer & Dragonbreath Tattoo at Computer Bild

[quote name='Luriden']Are they out of codes? I just signed up and clicked the longest link in the email and it just sends me back to the site's homepage. I made another account and had the same thing happen.[/QUOTE]

Once you register and activate your account, click on the link in the OP, click on the pic of the DLC and enter your email and they'll send you the code.

I thought I'd pass along a post I read on Joystiq about this company, and others, who are exploiting algorithms to generate these codes (the post states that it's cost MS about $1MM in lost revenue). I'm not sure there's anything Microsoft can or will do against people who redeem these codes since they are valid codes. I'm also definitely not judging whether people should or shouldn't take advantage of this deal or not (I do enjoy my Banshee avatar prop). But I thought I'd pass on the article as it may be something to keep an eye on; companies seem to get motivated to crack down when they see it as money out of their pockets.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/10/ms-point-scam-cost-microsoft-over-1-million/

[quote name='fatboyjam']I thought I'd pass along a post I read on Joystiq about this company, and others, who are exploiting algorithms to generate these codes (the post states that it's cost MS about $1MM in lost revenue). I'm not sure there's anything Microsoft can or will do against people who redeem these codes since they are valid codes. I'm also definitely not judging whether people should or shouldn't take advantage of this deal or not (I do enjoy my Banshee avatar prop). But I thought I'd pass on the article as it may be something to keep an eye on; companies seem to get motivated to crack down when they see it as money out of their pockets.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/10/ms-point-scam-cost-microsoft-over-1-million/[/QUOTE]
Different issue entirely... The computerbild site is legit.

That article talks about people that abused the URL that was included in one of the MS email campaigns. Someone figured out what digits to change in the URL and was then able to access all 10,000 of the codes allocated to that mass mailing. So, they didn't figure out how to generate the actual XBL codes, but rather how to fake the URL so that MS believed it was the 10,000 people they had sent the email to that were asking for their codes. Beware of any 160 MSP codes out there right now. All 10,000 codes were publicly posted.

Microsoft has since disabled that code distribution method (which also worked for 48 hr codes).

[quote name='A Gamer']Different issue entirely... The computerbild site is legit.

That article talks about people that abused the URL that was included in one of the MS email campaigns. Someone figured out what digits to change in the URL and was then able to access all 10,000 of the codes allocated to that mass mailing. So, they didn't figure out how to generate the actual XBL codes, but rather how to fake the URL so that MS believed it was the 10,000 people they had sent the email to that were asking for their codes. Beware of any 160 MSP codes out there right now. All 10,000 codes were publicly posted.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, but the post also mentions that:
Later, through a separate channel, hackers were able to exploit the algorithm to generate codes for a Halo: Reach Banshee Avatar prop.

It all may be a non-issue, especially for the 1,000's that take advantage of the free codes. But it got me thinking how much do I REALLY need that lame-ass Carrot prop.

Edit: I did a bit of homework (which I admit I should've done prior to posting). You're correct, A Gamer, computerbild is a legit site/publication and the codes they're giving out should be completely safe and legitimately obtained.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fatboyjam']I saw that, but the post also mentions that:
Later, through a separate channel, hackers were able to exploit the algorithm to generate codes for a Halo: Reach Banshee Avatar prop.
It all may be a non-issue, especially for the 1,000's that take advantage of the free codes. But it got me thinking how much do I REALLY need that lame-ass Carrot prop.[/QUOTE]
Nah... They didn't actually generate the XBL codes for the Banshee... They raped computerbild (or some other third party web site/promotion) and got hundreds/thousands of legit codes by exploiting the request form.

See the gmail-dot-trick posted a earlier in this thread -- but there are many other methods that would apply (gmail-plus-trick, catcha-all domains, etc).

Sadly, even with this form, the computerbild people will get raped again as hundreds of codes are easily obtainable in a short time doing it by hand... Thousands using a simple script.

The actual codes are legit. The way they are obtained is by exploiting the method used to distribute said codes.

I doubt MS will do anything about it. Computerbild on the otherhand could go after the people abusing their site. But based on their spartan form security, I doubt they would have the knowledge to be able to track down the people doing it, if they are even aware of the fact that they are being exploited. Or, if they even care. Considering all of the online 'attention' this is generating, and the amount of traffic it is generating for them (not to mention all the recent sign-ups), they may consider it a worthwhile investment.

I've been checking my gmail with no success. Were there special lengths of passwords/usernames required? It looked like my registration was accepted.

Anyways, if anyone has an extra code, please pm me if you can...thanks!

If you don't have an account with them, you have to sign up (register), and then validate your registration (click on a link in an email you get from them).

Once you have an account, and are logged in, then click on the image on the page listed in the OP, enter your email address, and submit (if you check the box, you are signing up for their newsletter). The code is emailed.

This is odd. I got my code fine, but xbox.com says I already own the content. Anybody else have this, or know why I would?

Well the picture on the site was of all of the DLC weapons, not just the Channeler... maybe there's an assortment of codes for the different bonuses and you get a random one each time? I did get the Channeler FWIW.

ETA: Registered again with a different email and I got the Absolver hammer this time. I guess they went through all of the Channeler codes and are on to the next one!

FG7Y9-K3CHG-3QVXY-3RKHG-WKWKZ
Here's an extra code since I got the content already. I'm hoping I can get the other stuff.

Edit: Here's another code.
YJTVW-GVDP6-2QTTR-TW37Y-XDH3Z

I apparently got a code for the Absolver and Dragon Tattoos (tested it on friend's account). Are you guys getting anything else?

[quote name='ErezYehuda']I apparently got a code for the Absolver and Dragon Tattoos (tested it on friend's account). Are you guys getting anything else?[/QUOTE]

The last four codes I tried were all "Absolver Hammer & Dragonbreath Tattoo."

The code I redeemed earlier gave me the Chaneller Sword and Crystal Tattoo. Just tried it again now and got the Absolver Hammer and Dragonbreath Tattoo.

[quote name='Owen']Anyone that horded a lot of the Chaneller Sword and Crystal Tattoo want to swap for the Absolver Hammer and Dragonbreath Tattoo?[/QUOTE]

I no longer own the game so I sent you mine

[quote name='COLDblood']I no longer own the game so I sent you mine[/QUOTE]

I think that might be a Hammer code as it says I already own it, so I am still looking for anyone who might want to help a fellow CAG out with the Channeler Sword set.

[quote name='Owen']I think that might be a Hammer code as it says I already own it, so I am still looking for anyone who might want to help a fellow CAG out with the Channeler Sword set.[/QUOTE]

Think I just sent you the new I got... resent you a PM, keep both I dont need'em

If anyone wants the Absolver Hammer and Dragon Tattoo:

JYWWQ-PXP9C-FXW63-KDMXW-MGDDZ
FV92F-PKRTX-4JP9R-JF4VW-MJ7FZ

No luck getting the sword and I ran out of emails to use haha.

Thanks OP (and the others who informed about the switch) for the weapons.

I'm supposing they are switching weapons every 24 hours, since it is 2:55 AM in Germany right now and that whoever tried to request a code after 12:00 AM their time got a different item, at least from what I'm interpreting from this thread.

[quote name='spy0070']Thanks OP (and the others who informed about the switch) for the weapons.

I'm supposing they are switching weapons every 24 hours, since it is 2:55 AM in Germany right now and that whoever tried to request a code after 12:00 AM their time got a different item, at least from what I'm interpreting from this thread.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, wonder if they're going to switch tomorrow as well. If that picture is any indication, anybody else think that each of the pictured weapons will get turn?

It would be awesome if they did. I just got my absolver! ^^' All I need now is the Shardborne.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']thanks op!
last preorder bonus i needed

now ive gotten 3 all fable 3 preorder bonuses free :D[/QUOTE]
But there are 4...
- Champion Hammer & Balance Tattoo (Amazon pre-order)
- Channeler Sword & Crystal Tattoo (Best Buy pre-order)
- Inquisitor Sword & Industrial Tattoo (GameStop/EA Games pre-order)
- Absolver Hammer & Dragonbreath Tattoo (Walmart pre-order)

Actually 5 if you include the one you get from the book (The Balverine Order)...
- Shardborne Sword

Edit: technically 6 if you include the LE code too:
- Wolfsbane Sword (Limited Edition)

Sweet, got the hammer now as well. I wonder if every one they're giving away is a pre-order bonus pack. Can anyone tell from the image?

And A Gamer, when you say the book, do you mean the strategy guide?

No, there's an actual book. The Balverine Order or something like that. It fills in the gaps between Fable 2 and 3, or so I've heard. Never found a copy of it at my local Borders, so I never got the sword. It's supposed to be made from pieces of the spire, which is awesome sounding. :p

Anybody think we missed the other items pictured?

Left to right, on the picture on the site, that's the Champion, Inquisitor, Wolfsbane, Channeler, Absolver items.

Five items, five days. And it's Friday in Germany already.

[quote name='A Gamer']But there are 4...
- Champion Hammer & Balance Tattoo (Amazon pre-order)
- Channeler Sword & Crystal Tattoo (Best Buy pre-order)
- Inquisitor Sword & Industrial Tattoo (GameStop/EA Games pre-order)
- Absolver Hammer & Dragonbreath Tattoo (Walmart pre-order)

Actually 5 if you include the one you get from the book (The Balverine Order)...
- Shardborne Sword

Edit: technically 6 if you include the LE code too:
- Wolfsbane Sword (Limited Edition)[/QUOTE]

bleh forgot abotu the gs one and the rest

i already got the LE stuff so im missing the book one and gs

[quote name='eugaet']Please give out Champion Hammers next, please give out Champion Hammers next...[/QUOTE]

I'll check the site in 20 hours and see if it changes. Hopefully people don't horde too much and the items cycle back. Of course I just built a whole conspiracy theory out of one picture. :lol:

bread's done
Back