Dead Island $19.99 @ Gamestop

greg8920

CAGiversary!
Haven't seen any one else post about it. It went on sale today. Both 360 and PS3. Been waiting for this to drop to 20 for a while now. Picked it up this morning.

[quote name='Vap']Strange. I was at gamestop today and it had a $29.99 sticker on it. Is it a sale where you need your powerup card?[/QUOTE]

Did you ask an employee to scan it? GameStops sticker prices are rarely accurate in my experiences.

[quote name='Vap']Strange. I was at gamestop today and it had a $29.99 sticker on it. Is it a sale where you need your powerup card?[/QUOTE]

It rings up at 20 when they scan it. I called before I went and he told me it was 30 cause that's what it was ticketed. He was very incorrect.

Jumped on this earlier, grabbed the last one. Cannot beat i for 3.90 after tax with the PUR and 15 off coupon for usin 10k points. See you $$$$as online!

anyone think there is a chance amazon will match this.I asked them if they would price match, they said no.I did though alert them of the lower price.

Pretty cool game but there was a few rough spots
(like the sewers...then having to fight back through them all over again when going back)
, overall it was awesome though.

I do have to say though, that there just seemed to be something missing. I'm not sure what it was, it was an awesome setting, ok characters, fun combat, etc etc...but that special something that puts it over the top just wasn't there.

I wouldn't put it in my top 5 of this gen or anything but if you're a zombie fan or if you're just looking for an action/rpg in a unique modern day tropical setting you should definitely pick it up!

[quote name='JKSonic']Pretty cool game but there was a few rough spots
(like the sewers...then having to fight back through them all over again when going back)
, overall it was awesome though.

I do have to say though, that there just seemed to be something missing. I'm not sure what it was, it was an awesome setting, ok characters, fun combat, etc etc...but that special something that puts it over the top just wasn't there.

I wouldn't put it in my top 5 of this gen or anything but if you're a zombie fan or if you're just looking for an action/rpg in a unique modern day tropical setting you should definitely pick it up![/QUOTE]

The combat alone was what kept me coming back for more. I agree it's not top 5 this gen...but I might just put it in my top 15. I beat it on PS3 and traded it in with a bonus a few weeks ago, then just picked it up as part of the B2G1 for 360 again so I could have an excuse to play it again (achievements). I think I may have actually made a buck or two on the deal, too.

[quote name='Tsel']Before the patch, the enemies would be at the level of the person hosting the game, but after the patch, the enemies will be at YOUR level for you.

It was so boring to join a newbie's game and have the zombies die in one or two hits. It's much better now that the zombies are equally difficult for everyone.[/QUOTE]

That was nice that they fixed that. They also fixed the weapon duplication glitch. But what's this I'm hearing about kicking costing stamina now?!

[quote name='mikepeluso']Does anyone know when this sale ends?
Will it still be $19.99 at gamestop on Sunday?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

The store employees told me today it ended tonight (Sat.)

[quote name='JaylisJayP']The combat alone was what kept me coming back for more. I agree it's not top 5 this gen...but I might just put it in my top 15. I beat it on PS3 and traded it in with a bonus a few weeks ago, then just picked it up as part of the B2G1 for 360 again so I could have an excuse to play it again (achievements). I think I may have actually made a buck or two on the deal, too.[/QUOTE]
Top 15 of....all games this generation? Are you sure it's not top 15"0" or maybe 15 of just zombies games?

[quote name='mikepeluso']Does anyone know when this sale ends?
Will it still be $19.99 at gamestop on Sunday?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Go buy it tonight if you want it. The guy at my local GS tried to tell me that it had ended already, but it rang up for $19.99. I traded in a copy of Batman AA GOTY, and got $7 credit. I had two copies of AA from when I bought Arkham City at Walmart on BF for $28 and it came packaged with AA GOTY.

Long story short, walked away with Dead Island for $14.20. Did have to deal with the GS employee trying to sell me extra stuff though.

I couldn't get to gamestop tonight, I will try Sunday and see what they say.
Its around 3 am and their site still has it at $19.99.
Hopefully its still 19.99 today.

[quote name='mikepeluso']Like an idiot I forgot it is Easter Sunday.I know Best Buy is closed and so GameStop may be also. I BLEW IT !!!!![/QUOTE]

There is a big sign in front of all three Gamestops I go to that says Open Easter, they are all stand alone stores though

[quote name='Scorpion']Who wants to play campaign together .?its online up to 4 players pm me I just got this game yesterday[/QUOTE]

Assuming that you are on Xbox360 and not a child I might be interested. My gamertag is the same as my name on here.

Got it from Gamefly the week it came out for PS3 and was not impressed. Just picked it up for 360 and it feels like a much better game. Seems like the updates have fixed a lot and it definitely feels better on a 360 controller.

Bought the game... if anyone wants to do co-op my GT is NerdyRocker54
note: i'm on pacific time and i go to college so i usually play late... 10pm-2am

I had one of the reps from my next closest BB store order a pre-owned copy of this from a further off store for me and he used the $10 off a $19.99 or more pre-owned game coupon. So I snagged it for $15 from BB.

I gotta say that I originally didn't think I'd like the game very much since I have both Dead Rising 2's(vanilla and Off The Record) for PS3 and I never finished either. But I'm really liking this game. It is a bit repetitive admittedly, but that seems to be most games nowdays. Plus many of the missions are fetch quests right now(go here n find me this, go there n find me that).

On the plus side though you do level up pretty quick between just hacking/slashing/bludgeoning zombies and doing the main and side quests. I'm up to level 13-14 already and I haven't played more than maybe 5-8 hours of it. It's also pretty fun just wandering around the game world finding random survivors to do side quests for and picking up weapons to keep leveling up with.

Word of warning though: For those buying it, once you get to where you have access to vehicles, DO NOT attempt to use them to hit zombies with cuz you'll find your vehicle destroyed very quickly.

Iamthecheapestgamer,
Seriously? I go off road with vehicles to run zombies down. Much more effective then using oars and kitchen knives. Heck, I would drive into freaking buildings to run over zombies if I could. I have never had a vehicle damaged where I had to abandon it, except one time when I kinda of accidentally drove off a cliff... Fun game, if anyone is on the fence it is worth it for $20

[quote name='nas6034']The $5.50 used deal from bby was fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It was. The damn TIV was way to good to keep the game though :cry:

when does it end
have it for Ps3 its a very great game may try to get it for 360

sometimes i hear people calling out for help like in the game so i turn my lights off like making it like i am not home

There is a display ad in the store saying Dead Island is $19.99. I thought the date said until 4-20 or 22 in small print. I did not buy the game but looked at the sign as I was leaving a store earlier in the week. I could be wrong though about the end date.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went in on Sunday the guy at gamestop told me it was over, I said its still $19,99 on the site and to check and scan it. It was 19.99.
It seems everyone you talk to either says the sale is over or has a different date.
I would say as long as its still 19.99 on the website, it will also be 19.99 in store.
It might end on Monday or Tuesday though, since I think the sale started last Tuesday.

I picked this up earlier too and the employee said $29.99, so I asked him to scan it and see if it's still on sale for $19.99. Alot of employees doesn't really know what is on sale. It's better to always just ask them to ring it up and if it's not the price you want they can always void the transaction. This goes for any retailer as well.

This game is a blast. it has a fallout 3 feel except the story is not that good but the gameplay is tight.

As much as I would like to pick this up, I have to stick with my initial thoughts of when I rented it when it first came out which were: Go find this, take it back, rinse and repeat. Over and over....maybe when it drops another $10 I may consider it.

[quote name='krashhole']As much as I would like to pick this up, I have to stick with my initial thoughts of when I rented it when it first came out which were: Go find this, take it back, rinse and repeat. Over and over....maybe when it drops another $10 I may consider it.[/QUOTE]
That's the exact feel I'm getting from it. Yet I found myself playing it till about 6 this morning(from around 12:30am.:shock: Normally I hate games that seem to be mostly fetch quests, but I think the zombie killing portion of it mixed with the fact that you can drive around after a bit keeps me playing.

But the combat is repetitive and the missions are meh at best right now.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's the exact feel I'm getting from it. Yet I found myself playing it till about 6 this morning(from around 12:30am.:shock: Normally I hate games that seem to be mostly fetch quests, but I think the zombie killing portion of it mixed with the fact that you can drive around after a bit keeps me playing.

But the combat is repetitive and the missions are meh at best right now.[/QUOTE]Maybe if I didn't pick up LOTR: War in the north Friday, I might have considered it. Hell, I haven't even opened it up yet lol.

This is one of those games where the game play is a blast and the combat mechanics are solid but the content is pretty lacking/hollow. It seemed like early on in the development they wanted to make a deeper campaign experience but eventually just said... f' it, let's go the Borderlands route.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Do weapons degrade any slower since launch? I remember spending so much money repairing weapons when I played at launch.[/QUOTE]
They seem to degrade pretty quick if you don't manually aim for the zombies heads and just keep swinging wildly at them. Since I let my one buddy play it a lil the other night and he was getting kills in like 5-6 seconds on a zombie vs. me having to bludgeon them to death I started to use his approach.

As long as you're not absolutely swamped/surrounded by zombies, take your time and aim for head shots or to disable some limbs.

I finally got my hands on a pistol last night/this morning as well as my first actually sharp weapon(axe). I've been trying to only keep the high damage weapons enabled and leave the crap like bats and sticks for a last resort.

By the way, for anyone having issues beating the thugs(brutes) easily, toss a propane tank at them and then toss a weapon at that. In the words of Dan Forden(from MK II): TOASTY!! So much easier than throwing weapons at them repeatedly n having to try retrieving them w/o getting annihilated.

How Fallout 3-ish is this game? That's one of my all-time favorites and I might pick this up if it's anything similar.

Is there a targeting system like V.A.T.S. or is it more FPS-ish?

[quote name='Turbojugend']How Fallout 3-ish is this game? That's one of my all-time favorites and I might pick this up if it's anything similar.

Is there a targeting system like V.A.T.S. or is it more FPS-ish?[/QUOTE]

It's nothing like fallout as for gameplay. Think RPG/FPS with a lot of melee fighting. Lots of questing and different skill trees for each character.

I might break down and pick this up. I've been on the fence about this one for a pretty good while. I actually gave in and bought it few weeks back when it was six dollars after coupon at Best Buy. When I got home in the dead Island case it was actually in NHL 12 for the 360. I decided just to keep it to avoid the hassle of going back to the store. Not to mention NHL 12 is worth quite a bit more.
If the sale holds next week I might break down.

[quote name='Mooby']This is one of those games where the game play is a blast and the combat mechanics are solid but the content is pretty lacking/hollow. It seemed like early on in the development they wanted to make a deeper campaign experience but eventually just said... f' it, let's go the Borderlands route.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of lazy development, did they ever patch the bugs I heard about at launch? Thought I remember rumors, but since I didn't want to pay $60 for a broken game I kinda stopped paying attention. Might be worth $20 after the earlier Fallout 3 comparison remark.

i played the game at launch all the way through...there were a few bugs here and there (mostly graphical glitches, occasional freezes, iirc)...nothing game breaking...actually nothing specific i can remember...but they were patched (after i played it)

re: fallout comparisons...definitely some conceptual overlap...i really liked FO3, and i really liked dead island (i expected to like FO, DI was a surprise).

No VATS style targeting though...and I recommend playing as the sharp weapons expert in the game - her skill tree is badass, and the guns skills in the game a re a little weak.

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']i played the game at launch all the way through...there were a few bugs here and there (mostly graphical glitches, occasional freezes, iirc)...nothing game breaking...actually nothing specific i can remember...but they were patched (after i played it)

re: fallout comparisons...definitely some conceptual overlap...i really liked FO3, and i really liked dead island (i expected to like FO, DI was a surprise).

No VATS style targeting though...and I recommend playing as the sharp weapons expert in the game - her skill tree is badass, and the guns skills in the game a re a little weak.[/QUOTE]
That's who I'm playing as in the game(Xian, I believe her name is) and it's definitely been a blast thus far. It does get a lil repetitive with all of the fetch quests early in the game, but overall the action is what keeps me coming back.

bread's done
Back