Dead Island - 4 player Zombie Island = sun, fun, and guts. *OUT NOW*

I've been trying the suggested work arounds for the game to save properly but none have worked so far. I think I'm going to shelf the game till a patch fixes it to save myself the frustration.

[quote name='whoknows']Wow, I didn't know about all these problems, luckily I haven't opened my copy yet. Should I take it back?[/QUOTE]

They won't make any change to the disc. It will likely be update by patch

Lol, damn. Sounds like the PS3 version is more borked than PC was. This game has to win some award for worst launch of 2011.

Sounds like I made a good bet not getting this game. I heard the weapons, even shit like lead pipes and wrenches, break as if they were glass bottles.

[quote name='IRHari']Sounds like I made a good bet not getting this game. I heard the weapons, even shit like lead pipes and wrenches, break as if they were glass bottles.[/QUOTE]
After you invest heavily into weapon decay perks it's not bad. Starting off, you don't find any good weapons anyway so being throwaway isn't really an issue.

Got to chapter 3 today.

I was in a building with no map function- and I was being attacked by a Thug. I threw all my weapons at him, and just before he died, I was killed. I respawned somewhere I didn't recognize and spent 30 minutes wondering around looking for all of my nice bats and wrenches only to give up. That really pissed me off, but i guess i'll get over it.

Other than that- i've been really enjoying it.

[quote name='8bitArtist']its really a bad idea to throw EVERY weapon at a guy anyway.[/QUOTE]
I didn't throw EVERYTHING, but i threw all of my equipped weapons, which were the ones I'd maintained and upgraded.

Also on chapter 3 of act 1. And its really fun so far in 2 man co-op, but since we got to chapter 3 I've frozen twice and my buddy once.

It's great because we keep our stats and items but sucks because we have start just at the beginning every time.

I just picked up the game earlier tonight. I noticed I wasn't prompted a patch (on ps3), I thought there was one out?

there was a patch but it deleted everyones trophy progress. maybe they took it down? is that even possible? i declined it when it popped up and havent been prompted since

[quote name='8bitArtist']there was a patch but it deleted everyones trophy progress. maybe they took it down? is that even possible? i declined it when it popped up and havent been prompted since[/QUOTE]

Definitely a possibility. I have declined a patch before and was always prompted again every time I loaded up the game. So they had to pull it.

My PS+ subscription did the auto download of the patch so naturally all of my challenge progress was erased. My trophies are still there, though.

WTF?! I played this for 5 hours yesterday, before quitting out of the game. I just booted it up this morning, and it doesn't acknowledge that I did anything yesterday at all....

Went from level 14 back to level 6. Putting this shit back in the box until they patch in some serious fixes.

[quote name='nbballard']WTF?! I played this for 5 hours yesterday, before quitting out of the game. I just booted it up this morning, and it doesn't acknowledge that I did anything yesterday at all....

Went from level 14 back to level 6. Putting this shit back in the box until they patch in some serious fixes.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ. That's one broken game. Definitely needed a few more months in the oven, and it still would have been out in time for the holidays. Maybe they just didn't want to compete with the likes of COD and whatever the fuck other Dudebro games are coming out at that time.

[quote name='nbballard']WTF?! I played this for 5 hours yesterday, before quitting out of the game. I just booted it up this morning, and it doesn't acknowledge that I did anything yesterday at all....

Went from level 14 back to level 6. Putting this shit back in the box until they patch in some serious fixes.[/QUOTE]

did you play online at all?

Yes and no- i tried to do coop with a friend early in the morning, but the invitation wasn't ever successful.

I looked on PS3Trophies boards and some other users are reporting a similar issue with the game tied to the online coop.

The game continues to indicate that it's checkpointing and saving in the lower left corner- but the biohazard symbol that indicates real saving doesn't appear.

I got to play for a couple hours without hiccups earlier with these steps.

I switched the multiplayer mode to "LAN" and made sure the biohazard / DI sign on the top right of the screen appeared whenever it auto saved. If it stops showing up, you might as well stop playing as everything you do from that point on will not be saved. I also made sure to go to the options menu and switch some stuff around to force the game to save.

You can still join multiplayer games but you'll have to use the lobby option in the start menu. (And a tip: do not try to join a game in an area with zombies around. If you fail to join a game, you'll be welcomed by half a dozen infected bashing your face to a pulp.)

Does anyone understand how the shops work? One of the shops had an awesome cleaver, and by the time I sold stuff to make room for it, it was gone. My system time said it was 11:01, so i figure they rotate on the hour, or every 15 minutes or something.

[quote name='nbballard']Does anyone understand how the shops work? One of the shops had an awesome cleaver, and by the time I sold stuff to make room for it, it was gone. My system time said it was 11:01, so i figure they rotate on the hour, or every 15 minutes or something.[/QUOTE]
It changes when somebody levels or when you enter a game. Otherwise they stay the same forever. I *think* they change when you load a checkpoint, but I've never tested it. There might be other factors, but that's all I've found from experience.

I'm curious since I haven't been in a co-op game yet. If someone sends me a request to join their game, would a character that is much higher in level be able to join their world? And if so, do the zombies scale to the highest level character or the character who's game is being joined?

[quote name='4thHorseman']I'm curious since I haven't been in a co-op game yet. If someone sends me a request to join their game, would a character that is much higher in level be able to join their world? And if so, do the zombies scale to the highest level character or the character who's game is being joined?[/QUOTE]
I think there is a limit to level ranges that can join your game, like 10 or so but I haven't tried it. Zombies scale to the hosts level, so it's better to join a player who is lower than you.

Damn this buggy game. I spent last night closing the fire hydrants and thought it had saved only to come home from work tonight and have to do the last three hydrants again :evil:

there is no scale limit. a level 1 can invite a level 50 if he wanted to.

also, ed_, you lost 1 quest, really nothing to bitch about. there are people who have lost hours upon hours from it not saving. one dude lost 50+ hours cuz his save glitched.

[quote name='8bitArtist']there is no scale limit. a level 1 can invite a level 50 if he wanted to.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it goes both ways. I haven't been able to lobby join a couple friends who are level 10 when I'm 40. Maybe that's just PC though.

[quote name='8bitArtist']there is no scale limit. a level 1 can invite a level 50 if he wanted to.

also, ed_, you lost 1 quest, really nothing to bitch about. there are people who have lost hours upon hours from it not saving. one dude lost 50+ hours cuz his save glitched.[/QUOTE]

Bitch? :lol: I'd hate to think what you'd call what IATCG does in most of his posts ;)

Damn it, I am considering trading this fucker in. Today is the fourth time I have to restart chapter 7. I always make it to the end and I can even see the icon indicating it's saving so I stop after that and next time I've booted it up, bam, I'm back at the beginning of Ch 7. :roll:

Well I'm on act 4 right now and its really losing its charm as opposed to act 1, still managing to have fun though.

[quote name='nbballard']Which icon are you seeing? The lower left, or the upper right?[/QUOTE]

Top right. I haven't noticed the bottom left at all.

[quote name='Ed_']Bitch? :lol: I'd hate to think what you'd call what IATCG does in most of his posts ;)

Damn it, I am considering trading this fucker in. Today is the fourth time I have to restart chapter 7. I always make it to the end and I can even see the icon indicating it's saving so I stop after that and next time I've booted it up, bam, I'm back at the beginning of Ch 7. :roll:[/QUOTE]

i ignore what that dude posts 99% of the time.

you need to see both icons. also no one should be playing this game online right now cuz a lot of people are getting corrupt saves.

im stuck at 71/72 locations as my last trophy until they patch it. i just hope it doesnt screw over people like the 360 patch did.

So wait, is PC on the latest build and you guys are behind? We're on 1.2 and other than design flaws, the game has been largely cleaned up. No corrupt saves, lobby system works (well, most of the time but when it doesn't could be for design reasons we don't understand), and overall the glitches are at a min. Can still dupe like crazy, though.

[quote name='Jodou']So wait, is PC on the latest build and you guys are behind? We're on 1.2 and other than design flaws, the game has been largely cleaned up. No corrupt saves, lobby system works (well, most of the time but when it doesn't could be for design reasons we don't understand), and overall the glitches are at a min. Can still dupe like crazy, though.[/QUOTE]

I think the 360 is on 1.2 and I know that ps3 is still unpatched (since they took off 1.1 because it broke the game even more.)

I downloaded the 1.1 patch for ps3, the only issue I've encountered is the reset to the statistic page. Even after playing for days, my statistics still say I've played zero hours. Will the next patch fix this? My amount of collectibles got reset and I'm not sure if I can go back and recollect the ones I've gotten before without going through another playthrough.

Also, around chapter 7, I started running into the no save glitch. I managed to fix it by entering another players game and then going back to mine and ever since then it's been saving correctly.

I'm hoping the next patch doesn't fix item duping either.

[quote name='Foxx']I think the 360 is on 1.2 and I know that ps3 is still unpatched (since they took off 1.1 because it broke the game even more.)[/QUOTE]
Ha, wow that sucks. I guess I spoke too soon about PC since I was crashing all over for the first time last night trying to MP with friends. I think this is largely due to Valve's shit servers, though. Sunday nights are always the worst with them.

played through the game the last two nights and completed it today. Must say game is solid but yes it is somewhat buggy still, once you are use to the controls its fun. Very fun ending! and somewhat difficult as well.
Recommend Co-op playing for sure, much more enjoyable and for the thugs you all surround him and he'll be down in no time. Currently a level 27 or so and after beating the game starts back over with all weapons etc. in the hut on the beach. Probably will play around and do the side missions more, and some co op.

this game is far from perfect plenty of glitches and issues all over that said this is easily the best zombie game ever.it does damn near everything ive wanted to see in a zombie game and the world youre put in is amazing.

if this is their first zombie game im really impressed at how much they did right i havent been this drawn into a videogame in years so much so im excited for a sequel but afraid of the possibilities for failure or success.

little things like body damage or blood splatter or the creepy way enemies breath behind you when theyre attacking this is the ultimate game for zombie fans. damn the reviews that made me doubt gonna have to buy this during bf.

even the easy ass ending didnt kill it for me
i killed the guy in like seconds using a shock rifle i guess he was really weak or i was really powerful
whatever i love ths game.

lots of great tense moments especially the bit where youre running from that
cave at the top of the mountain with the native chick.

my main major gripe with the game was the in car driving view that needs changing.

bread's done
Back