Dead Island?

[quote name='Draekon']I'm thinking it isn't, but it's difficult to say. What I'm guessing is that it was just a quick fix to stop all the abusive assholes online from joining other peoples games and breaking shit using dev options/commands.[/QUOTE]
That's what I am hoping because right now Dead Island went 100% playable to about 10% playable with the slowdowns of the patch.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is it still borked or can I fire it up and play?[/QUOTE]
Oh it's still borked to a degree. I personally would wait for a official retail release patch because last patch to get rid of the debug stuff deleted a lot of people's save files.

Game seemed fine the hour I played last night, though the mouse sensitivity was incredibly annoying (the menus are almost un-navigable due to this). The co-op seemed strange too. Soul Vengeance tried to invite me to a game, but it kept telling me I already played the part he was on, so I was unable to join. I thought you could just jump into someones game if they were close, I didnt think you had to be at the exact same part.

EDIT

Alright, just tried the game post-patch. My performance has taken a SEVERE hit. I was running max settings last night like 80-90FPS, now I'm at like 30-40FPS.

ANOTHER EDIT

Game is totally fucked at the moment. I changed my video settings and it reset my game, but kept my weapons and level/upgrades. There also appears to be some sort of memory leak now that makes the game go to shit VERY fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposedly fixed. Some people who are having issues have uninstalled and then reinstalled the game and their issues supposedly went away. I got in game earlier and my frame rate was fine. Was around 150 on average, but went as low as 100 and as high as 260.

I was experiencing some brief "locking" issues around the hut while in multiplayer mode. It seems the latest patch changed it so you can have 0 public slots and 3 private slots if you wanted. Which is nice. However even if you are set to private, people will still attempt to join you and when they do it may briefly lock you up. This can frequently happen around the beginning hut after the prologue. However it went away as I got further away from the hut. Friend was experiencing the same thing before he joined me and we got away from there. So just an FYI there.

[quote name='Draekon']It's supposedly fixed. Some people who are having issues have uninstalled and then reinstalled the game and their issues supposedly went away. I got in game earlier and my frame rate was fine. Was around 150 on average, but went as low as 100 and as high as 260.

I was experiencing some brief "locking" issues around the hut while in multiplayer mode. It seems the latest patch changed it so you can have 0 public slots and 3 private slots if you wanted. Which is nice. However even if you're private people will still attempt to join you and when they do it may briefly lock you up. This can frequently happen around the beginning hut after the prologue. However it went away as I got further away from the hut. So just an FYI there.[/QUOTE]
From what I heard reinstalling the game does nothing (haven't tried it since it will takes me a whole day and night to redownload it). I did try verifying game cache to no effect. My game will play 5 minutes then begin to skip and lag to hell. There is a serious memory leak and my core i5 3ghz is being pushed to the max when playing it. I can also imagine it is using the video card to insane temperatures because after 5 minutes I can't even move it's so bad.

Last night I played the game fine with no real problems except for some textures and that damn no clip deleting character thing. I just hope this gets fixed soon because the game is fine.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']From what I heard reinstalling the game does nothing (haven't tried it since it will takes me a whole day and night to redownload it). I did try verifying game cache to no effect. My game will play 5 minutes then begin to skip and lag to hell. There is a serious memory leak and my core i5 3ghz is being pushed to the max when playing it. I can also imagine it is using the video card to insane temperatures because after 5 minutes I can't even move it's so bad.

Last night I played the game fine with no real problems except for some textures and that damn no clip deleting character thing. I just hope this gets fixed soon because the game is fine.[/QUOTE] yeah WTF my i7 which runs Crysis 2 great just lags to hell during the game

EDIT: when i turned the multiplayer off, my lag went away

Yeah, in the online options, setting it to singleplayer makes the stuttering go away and the game becomes playable.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']did anyone lose their save file from day one ? i lost my save file but kept my level and weapons[/QUOTE]

I ended up losing my weapons after the prologue too. Kept the level though.

I was able to get to the beachhouse with 1 lock up. Now after that, it will lock up my PC anywhere between 30 seconds to 5 minutes when running around the beach. I was looking at the steam forums, but I'm going on vacation soon so I will just wait to play it until after then.

I played 3 levels of Duke Nukem Forever this morning and was playing Deus Ex:HR last week without any problems, so I don't think it's anything with my PC.

[quote name='SEH']Yeah, in the online options, setting it to singleplayer makes the stuttering go away and the game becomes playable.[/QUOTE]
This works, although it's one odd fix.

I'm pretty sure the stuttering is from the way multiplayer works with the patch slightly breaking it. It should only be bad around the beginning hut area right now. However multiplayer is a bit broken at the moment anyways since Steam updated the client yesterday. It's been causing stuff to go offline/online and kicked me off of co-op with a friend stating "Steam was offline." which my friend also got.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Any news on whether we should delete the game and redownload?[/QUOTE]
All you will need to do is verify the integrity of the games files if there is an update out. You wont have to do anything else.

You shouldn't need to. For shits and giggles I did it last night after multiplayer fucked up and kept kicking my friend and I off. It didn't make a difference to me gameplay wise but increased my FPS a tiny bit on average. However stranger things have happened. Especially since Steam just updated their client yesterday and it keeps breaking on me.

Dunno. I said fuck it, downloaded Tunngle and played LAN Co-Op with my friends over VPN instead of relying on Steam's shit. Myself as well as the two people I was playing with for 2.5 hours did not run across a single issue.

When you go to View -> Downloads, what does the size of the download say? 76.6MB or something else?

The only patch I received so far was the 76.6MB patch on Monday at 11:02PM (Central Time). After that I never received anything else and once Tuesday night after multiplayer broke, I reinstalled the game for shits and giggles. I haven't seen a new patch at all.

For anyone who wants to do multiplayer, Tunngle should be the easiest way to go until Steam is fixed. Just need everybody to download, install and reboot. Then create an account and go to the same Dead Island lobby. Then boot up Dead Island AFTER joining the lobby and set multiplayer options to LAN. Once that's done you should be able to load up the game and see other peoples games and join without any issue. Since LAN doesn't allow for private slots, you'll want to make sure that you set the appropriate amount of public slots you want. Since this is also a multiplayer work-a-round, I would also think people would be more polite if they join and you ask them to leave too.

Not sure on the size of the patch I got last night, but I had already gotten the 76MB one the other day.

That said, whatever it did it didnt fix multiplayer. My friend and I had to use Hamachi to play last night.

Multiplayer being broke I *think* is Steam's fault as the online multiplayer relies on Steam (Whereas LAN doesn't and can be supplemented with VPN software such as Tunngle or Hamachi). It broke the evening after they updated the client and it also brought down Left 4 Dead 2 multiplayer until tomorrow. So i think it's just a case of really bad coincidental timing in this case.

You're only missing this in multiplayer anyways:

sG8e6.gif

Yeah, I got that too according to my Downloads section. Friend noticed it, told me and I checked mine. No patch notes yet it seems, but maybe it was done to fix multiplayer and some less common issues that are cropping up on some machines?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is it okay to play now? Do I need to delete my game files and redownload?[/QUOTE]

You dont ever have to delete and redownload your game files.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Is it okay to play now? Do I need to delete my game files and redownload?[/QUOTE]

Online multiplayer is still broken. You can get around it with VPN software and using LAN in-game multiplayer.

If you're getting stuttering, it's either a bug with multiplayer (try selecting LAN or singleplayer) or try with a USB controller. If none of that shit works, update drivers and such. If still no go after that, validate your files. If it's still not working, you can try manual video settings in various files you open in notepad (Would need to find/use guide). Finally if it's still not working, I can't really say. If I had my hands on it, I could probably fix it but directing someone to fix things is a much harder task.

And your gamesave is saved in the Steamcloud. There's no point in deleting it. You may start at the beginning and lose all weapons and quests completed, but otherwise it will be fine. This happened to pretty much everybody after the first patch on Tuesday. Everything else is intact though. If you don't want to lose chapter progress, you need to create a new character and select the latest chapter.

Good.

In other news, Green Man Gaming sent me a second e-mail about my "Pre-purchase" today. There are two codes. The first was the Bloodbath Arena DLC and the second code seems to be Dead Island again (as I tried to register it first and it told me I already own it)... however it's a different code than I originally received from them. So... second copy?

EDIT: Looking at the GMG Thread in the deals section gives conflicting reports of this. I'll give the key to someone I know to test it later in the day when I talk to them.

Online works, but they need to get the voice situated. My friends and I use Mumble, so not being able to turn off in-game voice chat is very annoying.

The only work-a-round for that I've found is get 2 microphones that show up in Windows. The second one you're not going to use should be set to default/default communication device. Make sure that the mic is muted and you won't have any in-game voice chat with that person.

Just make sure to do that before loading up Dead Island.

[quote name='SEH']You dont ever have to delete and redownload your game files.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks SEH.

I may have to fire it up tonight.

So I broke down and made the mistake of picking this up in lieu of having nothing better to play until the end of this month. Dead Island is basically Borderlands with zombies. They both have design flaws, both are just average FPSRPGs, and both have cars. The more I think about every aspect of the game, the more it compares to Borderlands. In fact, I can't help but think that somewhere in development they just began to copy Borderlands.

That said, the game is tons of fun with a friend BUT if you were to have four people running around then the game quickly loses any challenge. For a zombie game, you're constantly pitted against ones to twos of zombies at a time. There's seriously no challenge here, especially when dying means losing a couple hundred bucks and that's it. By the time a friend and I had finished playing the other night, caution was thrown to the wind and we'd just run head first into whatever was in the way. It doesn't help that there's been zero boss fights and ZERO epic loot at all. We're halfway through the game now and we've seen like one purple drop and it was replaced by a green one level higher than it. The game really fails on every level of RPG aspect, right down to the skill trees.

Simply put, Dead Island is an awful game. But even awful, campy games are made great with a friend when all you want to do is slash limbs off zombies. I won't be playing this game a second time, just like Borderlands failed to impress and I get the feeling that unless you're playing right now, you probably won't find many people to play with once the real MP games start coming out.

Anyone else notice the developers got a little lazy modeling the women in this game? Even the "fat" women have washboard abs if you look close enough.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Anyone else notice the developers got a little lazy modeling the women in this game? Even the "fat" women have washboard abs if you look close enough.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]
Lazy yes, but modeling is the least of this game's problems.

Eh, to each their own. I enjoyed Borderlands and put a ton of time into it, and I'm sure I'll put a ton of time into this. The key is that it is fun with other players.

boarderlands got insane with 4 people because everything got ultra buffed.

i passed this game tho because im still having a lto of fun with deus ex(i really hope this or skyrim gets game of the year over something stupid like mw3 hehe) and i read some really bad reviews about it. i think a lot of games actually are going to get over looked due to t hem releasing everything at the same time this year. anyways onward to skyrim, darksouls and battlefield. when i see this game lowered to portal 2 price i'll get it!(which i'llg et portal2 1st becuase i havnt played it yet!):)

I tried analog controls (360 controller) and it's really hard...I stopped using it after 10 mins on the resort, now that I'm passed there I can't imagine taking these zombies on like that.

Still digging this game. Steam name: jengo

[quote name='docvinh']Eh, to each their own. I enjoyed Borderlands and put a ton of time into it, and I'm sure I'll put a ton of time into this. The key is that it is fun with other players.[/QUOTE]

This isn't even really that fun with other players. The difficulty doesn't scale well at all, so it winds up being pretty damn easy. It gets kind of boring having four people just bash a single zombies brains in over and over and over and over.

[quote name='SEH']This isn't even really that fun with other players. The difficulty doesn't scale well at all, so it winds up being pretty damn easy. It gets kind of boring having four people just bash a single zombies brains in over and over and over and over.[/QUOTE]

In single player it is so easy to get surrounded and die in a few hits but that's negated by the extremely generous respawn system. If there were normal checkpoints this would probably be one of the hardest games in recent memory in solo mode at least.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty fun game but it would have been better with some rebalancing and a more severe death penalty.

The game was easy until everybody I payed with hit level 30+. After that many zombies don't lose stamina to get knocked down easily and they are stunned/knocked back for next to no time. Not to mention way too often they just walk through my kick and triple-hit combo me for all or nearly all of my health. Since radial sound is all fucked up too, I can never tell if a zombie is running up on me or someone else I'm playing with who could even be across the map if we decide to just split up for a bit.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

[quote name='Draekon']The game was easy until everybody I payed with hit level 30+. After that many zombies don't lose stamina to get knocked down easily and they are stunned/knocked back for next to no time. Not to mention way too often they just walk through my kick and triple-hit combo me for all or nearly all of my health.[/QUOTE]
Learn2Jumpkick.

So people can openly mod this and play MP? Lol, forget exploits, this will be hacked to death. The only reason I haven't taken this steaming pile of shit back was because the MP is well done and just plain fun with friends. It has that MMO feel of a persistent, sandbox world which makes for a great game if not for all the flaws and bugs.

And I don't see the point of modding this to drop all your money on death, when I can just print cash with any of the dupe bugs. Money is meaningless in this game other than to repair anyway. I already made the mindblowing knife (guess I picked the right character since throwing knives are the best in the game), so I barely use any weapons that decay anymore. When I do, it's usually sitting on the hood of a car where zombies can't climb to and just slashing away until they're all dead.

The timing of the zombies running at me makes it difficult for jump-kicking to work without me getting raped. Not to mention the fact that even though I clearly hit the zombie with the kick they just walk right through it and instantly 3-hit flail me.

And yeah, the game will be a clusterfuck with regards to open multiplayer games.

EDIT: I also already beat the game.

[quote name='Draekon']The timing of the zombies running at me makes it difficult for jump-kicking to work without me getting raped. Not to mention the fact that even though I clearly hit the zombie with the kick they just walk right through it and instantly 3-hit flail me.

And yeah, the game will be a clusterfuck with regards to open multiplayer games.

EDIT: I also already beat the game.[/QUOTE]
You gotta take the offensive mate. Run straight at them and do a flying leap kick and they fall flat on their ass. I know the bug you're talking about, which is why I stopped letting them come to me. Granted, if three are charging you, I toss out a few knives first and side step them. My buddy is usually on playing Sam B, so he can just run them over when that happens though.

I think we kind of stopped caring about beating the game and I'm not sure if we will ever bother heh (we're somewhere in act 3 right now). We like doing supermarket runs to get champagne for diamonds. We almost have all the dev weapons crafted; think the last one we need to make is the electro knife. There was a rumor that making them all would allow you to craft some super weapon. Not so sure about that, but we'll find out.

bread's done
Back