*DEAD* Playstation 3D Display Bundle $249.99 (Brand New - Best Buy)

[quote name='Edge']

Just remember that if you want to take advantage of the 3D capabilities, it only supports two modes from what I understand: 720p/1280x720 at 60hz, and 1080p/1920x1080 at 24hz. For games, you'll basically be restricted to 720p at max, and of course you'll lose out on some brightness from the passive glasses. 3D movies should look nice at 1080p though. Also, if you want to use the 3D feature on a PC, you'll need the appropriate 3D support from your videocard manufacturer; Nvidia I know charges an extra fee to allow output to 3DTV formats, not entirely sure what ATI has for 3DTV support. Although, some games and even Youtube allows for SBS 3D if you don't mind losing the extra resolution.
.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that the PS3 is only capable of displaying 3D at 720p regardless of the display...

Just get a better PC monitor without worry of the picture quality (or the discussions about the actual build quality of the set).

[quote name='token2k6']yeah, if you want one, I'd strike while its hot. They have a big shelf tag promoting the sale price, store I was at had two left, took the least battered box-wise of the two. Traded in MS:A that I bought for $10 from them during x-mas (which got me $20.80), used some RZ certs and shopkick redemptions to get it down to $230.00 I was happy, got 6 mos. financing for using the BB CC.

don't know if its going in the kids room or another room, but the wife IS pissed, however she just got a $220 Michael Korrs purse yesterday, so thats what I have going for me, except for the fact its mothers day and I bought something for me..oh well[/QUOTE]

lol

[quote name='portnoyd']Don't do it! $200 will come soon and Amazon will match. Totally true, when these hit $200, it'll be pure luck who gets them when they disappear.

Another one for the $200 or bust stack.[/QUOTE]

Amazon does not have these in stock currently I wouldn't hold out on the hope they are getting new ones in stock to discount. I'm close to getting this was just at a Sony store today and watched Starhawk being played on one, looked pretty damn good. I'm thinking of getting this for my computer monitor, man Diablo 3 will look nice on this hmmmm

24" TV...

I can see this working for kids, but what grown adult plays console games on a 24" television?

Ridiculously small, just my opinion of course.

Interested in this, but no interest in the 3D. Can anyone point me in the direction of a similar display on newegg or something for around 150 that ill be happy with?

I'll put in my review that I try to stick in every post I see for this display.

Picture quality and color is great. I heard it was a VA type monitor, so don't compare it to the staples deal of the week $100 no-name TN panel monitors. But expect at least one dead pixel and some light bleed around the edges, since it is edge lit. I've had 3 different ones, and 2 had 1 dead pixel. But none of them broke (yet). Has a 1 yr warranty, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3D on this monitor is good, but seems to need to warm up for a few minutes to reduce the ghosting. The glasses make the picture noticeably dimmer in 3D. But I still want to stare at the replays in wipeout or motorstorm just to see the 3D effects.

Speakers are good for a monitor, but don't expect deep bass at all. Some games sound really good, some sound tinny. Probably depends on the style of music they use in each game.

Styling is gorgeous, if you don't mind the glossy display. Nice sleek, thin display that looks like a flat psp. Tilts up and down. Very easy to move around. For people with a psp-2000+ and psp component cables, it has a zoom mode specifically made for the psp output to fit the full screen.

Of course, the cheaper and more items they bundle with it the better, but I think anything $300 or under for the bundle is a good deal for what it is. I think the main thing holding it back is the limited market for a premium 3D display this size.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this, the pricing game from The Price is right? Almost the same price for a well known brand 24-27'' 1080p tv. But then again, think with your wallet.

[quote name='antlp89']24" TV...

I can see this working for kids, but what grown adult plays console games on a 24" television?

Ridiculously small, just my opinion of course.[/QUOTE]
I used to play my old ass Atari on a 13" B&W tv back in the 80's, a 20" SDtv for my Genesis/PS1/PS2 and even my PS3 when I first bought one and then for about a year or two I played my PS3 on a 21" HD PC monitor.

Now I'm playing on a 32" HDtv and while I am considering to eventually go bigger(42" or so), I will NOT pay over $300-350 for a bigger tv. So there will have to be one hell of a sale for me to fulfill that upgrade, which I don't think will ever happen.:booty:

[quote name='antlp89']24" TV...

Ridiculously small, just my opinion of course.[/QUOTE]

posts like these happen every time this thread/deal pops up :applause:

I game on a 23in Asus236 monitor

guess im just a kid

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']Yes they could, and probably should have done this.

Sony's TV division should have earmarked several of their 3DTV models to include the Simuview technology, that way consumers could have several sizes to choose from.

When Sony first showed the 3D display last year at E3, $500 seemed to be a good value, but the price of larger 3DTV decreased so much that the Sony 3D display seemed too expensive for its size.[/QUOTE]

It would be very easy to offer the technology throughout the product line. The logic needed would add about a buck to the cost of a display. For a lot of existing controllers it just requires a small amount of additional software code.

The problem is that the division at Sony that produces TVs and disc players regards the video game division as a competitor instead of an ally. They take offense at the PS3's Blu-ray playback and streaming functionality. This is a problem at a lot of companies with overlapping product lines. The biggest reason IBM's OS/2 failed wasn't competition from Apple and Microsoft. It was the active interference from other IBM divisions who looked on the increasingly powerful micros as a threat to their business. IBM's own consumer software division wouldn't do native OS/2 games, instead preferring to do games for Windows 3.x that would also run on OS/2.

Microsoft noticed this and similar behavior was a way to get your ass fired in Redmond.

With Kaz Hirai as the Grand Poobah now at Sony it may change but I'm not holding my breath.

[quote name='MillerTime2523']chicago bulls - rose = poop[/QUOTE]

only in the playoffs! they're pretty good rose-less in the regular season. how 'bout those post lebron cavs? (waits for irving mention).

anyway...this should be a 34 incher minimum for the price. AT LEAST give a 2nd pair of glasses.

this would actually be great if you could use it as a 3d computer monitor but i've read that there are a lot of compatibility issues and it doesn't operate at 120hz

so this doesn't come with a remote control? that is just great..now to either buy another universal, or wonder if the official PS3 remote works without a hitch..

I am loving this thing btw. Almost want to get another one! Right out of the box there were no dead pixels or any sign that something might be wrong with it. I don't see how anyone can think $250 or a little less is a bad price for this, even if you never game on it..the only other TV you'll find for they price is a Dynex or Sylvania or Westinghouse or some other crap..I hope all you people holding out get one, but remember come August 1st, any kid going to college is going to bag one of these b/c its the perfect size for the dorm/apartment.

im using mine as a 3d computer monitor on hdmi but as far as how well it works cant say..ive only set it up not actually used it for extended period of time.i got mine when it was 299 and extra game and glasses..so far no issues as i use it for my xbox360..lol

[quote name='token2k6']so this doesn't come with a remote control? that is just great..now to either buy another universal, or wonder if the official PS3 remote works without a hitch..

I am loving this thing btw. Almost want to get another one! Right out of the box there were no dead pixels or any sign that something might be wrong with it. I don't see how anyone can think $250 or a little less is a bad price for this, even if you never game on it..the only other TV you'll find for they price is a Dynex or Sylvania or Westinghouse or some other crap..I hope all you people holding out get one, but remember come August 1st, any kid going to college is going to bag one of these b/c its the perfect size for the dorm/apartment.[/QUOTE]
It's NOT a TV though. It's a 3-D monitor. So universal remote or not, it's not gonna work with ANY remote unless you plug a cable box into the component ports.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's NOT a TV though. It's a 3-D monitor. So universal remote or not, it's not gonna work with ANY remote unless you plug a cable box into the component ports.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

It's not even entirely accurate to call it a 3d monitor. It's a "3d display." It will work on a computer in 2d, but it will not work in 3d on a lot of computers, at least not without some mods if you have a nvidia graphics card.

Also anyone considering buying one of these should read this thread from the Sony forums.

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3911087?start=0&tstart=0

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's NOT a TV though. It's a 3-D monitor. So universal remote or not, it's not gonna work with ANY remote unless you plug a cable box into the component ports.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

From a review:

The PSTV does have an IR sensor, so universal remotes do work with the set.

Source:

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/02/sony-playstation-3d-display-review.html

Purchased mine today, haven't had a chance to mess with it. I'll update specifically on this feature when I do.

[quote name='king9x']From a review:

Source:

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/02/sony-playstation-3d-display-review.html

Purchased mine today, haven't had a chance to mess with it. I'll update specifically on this feature when I do.[/QUOTE]

whew! you're awesome man..definitely let us know, perhaps even which exact remote you used..aww who am I kidding, if its something fancy or not, I'm just gonna pick up a $15 one at Target..should do the trick.

[quote name='token2k6']whew! you're awesome man..definitely let us know, perhaps even which exact remote you used..aww who am I kidding, if its something fancy or not, I'm just gonna pick up a $15 one at Target..should do the trick.[/QUOTE]

Watch this video at about the 6:15 mark. He uses a universal remote he got for a dollar from dollar tree. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZuMDZPF-0

I read a Sony remote works with this display.

And, I saw all kinds of tvs , 40" and up, for cheap. Even sears has some clearance ones. I think you can get 1 for $300-$350 when you're ready. WalMart.com is showing a number of them. Just be sure to research!

Still wouldn't touch this thing for that price. IMO they totally fucked up with the small screen size. Obviously it's not selling since they keep dropping the hell out of the price.

I'm currently using a 2008 Vizio, 26 inch and 720p 60hz. How much better, if at all, will 2D content (games like Rayman Origins or Deus Ex and such, non-3D games) look on this 24 Inch, 240hz 1080P (I assume 1080) TV? I'd be able to sell my old 26 inch for $100 probably to someone I know (it still goes strong) and probably get this.

I guess I don't mind the 2 inch size difference and I suppose I could sell whatever game comes with it. I don't play my PS3 much, I use my 360 more so what other 3D advantages are there to it? Thanks

[quote name='bonesawisready']I'm currently using a 2008 Vizio, 26 inch and 720p 60hz. How much better, if at all, will 2D content (games like Rayman Origins or Deus Ex and such, non-3D games) look on this 24 Inch, 240hz 1080P (I assume 1080) TV? I'd be able to sell my old 26 inch for $100 probably to someone I know (it still goes strong) and probably get this.

I guess I don't mind the 2 inch size difference and I suppose I could sell whatever game comes with it. I don't play my PS3 much, I use my 360 more so what other 3D advantages are there to it? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I can't play games like Arkham Asylum/City without 3D and I use the plastic glasses. I can't imagine how amazing and less dizzy inducing a real 3D would be. Split screen wouldn't be split screen either. I wanna upgrade to a 3DTV one day.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Still wouldn't touch this thing for that price. IMO they totally fucked up with the small screen size. Obviously it's not selling since they keep dropping the hell out of the price.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Anything less than 30 inches is too small.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']I read a Sony remote works with this display. [/QUOTE]

It does. I have a 2008 or so Sony tv and the remote works on the display too. As does the new Playstation remote which I prefer since that controls the PS3 too.

Got this a while ago and then after that pm'd the Show 12 and extra glasses deal because it was within 45 days. Didn't use the Monitor that much initially because I didn't have a spot for it and wasn't sure if I wanted it to fully replace my bedroom TV. About two weeks ago I put it to work full time and its been working great. I really only use it to stream content on Netflix from my PS3 and to occasionally game or watch a movie in 3d(the 3d effect is very good btw) and the simulview technology is really very cool. Lookin forward to a larger (40+ inches) tv that uses simulview and ill probably bite on that too.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I used to play my old ass Atari on a 13" B&W tv back in the 80's, a 20" SDtv for my Genesis/PS1/PS2 and even my PS3 when I first bought one and then for about a year or two I played my PS3 on a 21" HD PC monitor.

Now I'm playing on a 32" HDtv and while I am considering to eventually go bigger(42" or so), I will NOT pay over $300-350 for a bigger tv. So there will have to be one hell of a sale for me to fulfill that upgrade, which I don't think will ever happen.:booty:[/QUOTE]

dear lord I can't imagine playing games/watching movies on such a small screen, my first HDTV was a 56'' JVC DLP 1080P and now have a 47'' Vizio LCD 120hz, for my next tv definitely want around 55'' with 240hz and possibly 3D

as for this 3D tv I might consider it at around $125 to replace my 22'' lcd in my bedroom but even then would be a waste since i only watch tv there right before going to sleep

I'm gonna wait until either a $200 price. TV looks nice, but I have no room for it anyway, so the only wait I get into this is if the low enough cheap price is there for me.

Thanks for the video, nice to know a universal controller works fine.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']dear lord I can't imagine playing games/watching movies on such a small screen, my first HDTV was a 56'' JVC DLP 1080P and now have a 47'' Vizio LCD 120hz, for my next tv definitely want around 55'' with 240hz and possibly 3D

as for this 3D tv I might consider it at around $125 to replace my 22'' lcd in my bedroom but even then would be a waste since i only watch tv there right before going to sleep[/QUOTE]

I personally prefer playing my PS3 on my 24" 1080p computer monitor over playing it on our 42" 1080p in the living room.

Peoples tastes are different and so are their budgets lol.

[quote name='MellowSeth']I personally prefer playing my PS3 on my 24" 1080p computer monitor over playing it on our 42" 1080p in the living room.

Peoples tastes are different and so are their budgets lol.[/QUOTE]

This, just this. I don't have the money to buy 42" and I adore my living room about that size but I have been used to the 19" in my bedroom so even a 24" inch would seem great to me.

[quote name='Edge']No, it doesn't have a TV-tuner of any kind in it. It's just a display, pretty much just a monitor with a couple extra ports on it and 3D capability.

It's a "display", not a TV, no remote, but EDIT: not wall mountable either, sorry.[/QUOTE]

That sucks! I was thinking to replace my 22" TV of 4 years. Oh well. Thanks for the info. :)

To those saying that a 24" screen is too small and that you need bigger TVs...just how far away are you sitting from it? Because 24" is an absolutely perfect size for desk viewing, and gives you a great range of view that well outmatches a typical living room setup for TVs if you sit a modest distance from it. For example, 24" at 4 feet away gives you a LARGER view than a 55" TV does at 10 feet away!

If you have a decent setup for it, a 24" display can give you great viewing sizes. Not to mention will have much better response times.

I'm going to buy this I need a new Tv since my 2000 Philips magnavox 26inch smart series is getting blurry and hard to read. I got money from being hit by a truck

bread's done
Back