[DEAD] Portal 2 (PS3/360/PC) - $54.99 + $5 Giftcard

Gahhhh, so tempted by this. I usually, as a policy, do not buy games right on release, but a brand new copy of Portal 2 for PS3 and PC for basically $50, that's fucking awesome. And I really don't see Valve screwing this up.

I can't see myself over choosing to play on the PS3 over the PC but there's almost no point in not buying it for the PS3 if you get a PC copy anyhow.

I'd like to see more details on how the DRM for that works though. Could a friend co-op with me if I were on the PC and he were on the PS3 using the same Steam account?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I can't see myself over choosing to play on the PS3 over the PC but there's almost no point in not buying it for the PS3 if you get a PC copy anyhow.

I'd like to see more details on how the DRM for that works though. Could a friend co-op with me if I were on the PC and he were on the PS3 using the same Steam account?[/QUOTE]

Good questions. I have heard that your Steam friends will show up in-game on the PS3, so I assume this would lead to cross-platform play; but I would also think that, because of DRM, you'd have to be signed in to certain accounts on both systems. Who know, though.

Any way you look at this, as long as the game offers enough content to justify an early purchase, I'd say the PS3 version is, by far, a crazy good deal for people who also have competent PC's.

Steam still hasn't put up a price yet, have they? I figure it'll be cheaper on PC (40 or 45).

ok, I don't preorder from Amazon much. If I order it now, will I be able to upgrade to release date delivery when they offer it?

Is $5 the best they could do? $10 used to be standard, and many games would get a $20 credit even. Is this a sign of things to come from Amazon this year?

$5 = Joke

[quote name='ssjmichael']Is $5 the best they could do? $10 used to be standard, and many games would get a $20 credit even. Is this a sign of things to come from Amazon this year?

$5 = Joke[/QUOTE]

Good god... can you complain more?

[quote name='zenintrude']Good god... can you complain more?[/QUOTE]

Can you complain about people complaining more? It's all you do. Your posts generally fall into two overlapping categories: Useless and Shit.

Amazon doesn't usually already have $5 off the MSRP, so I figure that's why they went with a $5 credit instead of a $10 one. If another major retailer does better than that I'm sure they'll do the same. I already had the PS3 version preordered so this makes it even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn this is tempting. I think I will wait closer to release to preorder. I mean I want the game because portal is awesome, but April is still a long ways away, and also it's valve. They could just like out of nowhere delay the game six months because it's valve. :lol:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Damn this is tempting. I think I will wait closer to release to preorder. I mean I want the game because portal is awesome, but April is still a long ways away, and also it's valve. They could just like out of nowhere delay the game six months because it's valve. :lol:[/QUOTE]

True, but you don't get charged until it ships, so you can lock in all of the current offers and be eligible if they increase the credit. If for some reason they remove the $5 credit before you preorder, then you miss out on the credit.

Since you can cancel a preorder at any time with a click of a button I don't see what the harm is.

Has anyone heard anything about a CE of this coming out? Judging by the way Valve is heavily favoring the PS3 edition (remember just a year ago when they were claiming to hate the PS3?) I'm expecting a CE to be announced as PS3 exclusive.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you complain about people complaining more? It's all you do. Your posts generally fall into two overlapping categories: Useless and Shit.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't agree with you more, ssj.:applause:

[quote name='chriscolbert']True, but you don't get charged until it ships, so you can lock in all of the current offers and be eligible if they increase the credit. If for some reason they remove the $5 credit before you preorder, then you miss out on the credit.

Since you can cancel a preorder at any time with a click of a button I don't see what the harm is.[/QUOTE]

Good point, forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Can you complain about people complaining more? It's all you do. Your posts generally fall into two overlapping categories: Useless and Shit.[/QUOTE]

Eventually you idiots will stop bitching and moaning about EVERYTHING.

Bottom line: It's a good deal, go cry somewhere else.

[quote name='zenintrude']Eventually you idiots will stop bitching and moaning about EVERYTHING.[/QUOTE]

Anyone else see the irony here?

The only thing that makes me wonder about pre-ordering Portal is if the "free PC version via Steam" is only for pre-order customers or for a limited time only, like EA is doing with the "LE" versions of the items they've been pumping out in the last year or so (BF: BC2, MOH, NFS: HP, etc.).

If it's not a limited time deal, then a $5 discount and a $5 gift card isn't a huge screaming reason to pre-order it. Never hurts to pre-order it and lock it in for the time being.

[quote name='shrike4242']The only thing that makes me wonder about pre-ordering Portal is if the "free PC version via Steam" is only for pre-order customers or for a limited time only, like EA is doing with the "LE" versions of the items they've been pumping out in the last year or so (BF: BC2, MOH, NFS: HP, etc.).

If it's not a limited time deal, then a $5 discount and a $5 gift card isn't a huge screaming reason to pre-order it. Never hurts to pre-order it and lock it in for the time being.[/QUOTE] Valve is usually good with this stuff. For the exception of TF2 hats (which are understandable and cosmetic in nature only), I haven't really seen any Valve games have preorder bonuses that were not available to non preorder people. Then again it's always better to be safe than sorry.

My question is can I get the ps3 version and then do you get a code in game to access pc version? Than can I sell my ps3 version for high resale and basically get a free copy of portal 2 on my computer...or do they require you to keep the ps3 version?

I don't think the PC version will be a limited time offer, and certainly not just for pre-orders. Once the PSN and Steam accounts are linked, it unlocks the download in Steam. My only concern is if they put in any way to prevent people from redeeming the PC version and then selling the PS3 version. I imagine that would be the cheaper route for anyone who wanted just the PC version of the game.

edit: see, just like the poster above is trying to to

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Valve is usually good with this stuff. For the exception of TF2 hats (which are understandable and cosmetic in nature only), I haven't really seen any Valve games have preorder bonuses that were not available to non preorder people. Then again it's always better to be safe than sorry.[/QUOTE]But I like my hats :<

I'm just worried that if I reorder the PS3 version I want have the code to input into my steam account soon enough that it will register as having "preordered" the PC version, if that is in fact how you get the portal pin at all.

[quote name='svtcobrastang1984']My question is can I get the ps3 version and then do you get a code in game to access pc version? Than can I sell my ps3 version for high resale and basically get a free copy of portal 2 on my computer...or do they require you to keep the ps3 version?[/QUOTE]

I'd have to guess that only the initial owner could link it to their steam account, so you could get your PC version, but whoever you sell it to could not.

That's purely a guess, though. I don't see Valve being cruel enough to not allow you to ever sell the game, but I also don't see them being so blind as to not expect a lot of people to do that.

I think they are price matching gamestop, which I noticed late last night was selling it for $55 online only (which made me think about canceling my instore pre order) and they threw in the $5 giftcard to seal the deal.

[quote name='shrike4242']The only thing that makes me wonder about pre-ordering Portal is if the "free PC version via Steam" is only for pre-order customers or for a limited time only, like EA is doing with the "LE" versions of the items they've been pumping out in the last year or so (BF: BC2, MOH, NFS: HP, etc.).

If it's not a limited time deal, then a $5 discount and a $5 gift card isn't a huge screaming reason to pre-order it. Never hurts to pre-order it and lock it in for the time being.[/QUOTE]

I'm 99.9% sure that the "free PC version" isn't limited to pre-orders, as I believe that Value is using the whole package as a means of introducing PS3 owners to Steamworks, with the added potential of them becoming avid Steam using on their PC's.

Portal 2 is the same price on pc as it is on consoles? Don't tell me that Valve is going this route too? :bomb:

[quote name='mogamer']Portal 2 is the same price on pc as it is on consoles? Don't tell me that Valve is going this route too? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

It's $49.99 for PC..

Whoa, I had no idea about getting a free PC copy. Definitely ordering the PS3 version now. Thanks for the heads up guys.

You are required to link your PSN accounts and your Steam account to get the free version. So, I think once you sell the PS3 one the next person isn't going to be able to get online. I'm not certain though.

I'm hoping there isn't some mandatory connection requirement in order to verify that the same PSN id is using the PS3 version that also owns the Steam version. That would really sour the hype and relationship between Valve and Sony on this one. It's the only way I see them controlling for people selling of the PS3 version to keep the Steam version.

Yeah I mean Valve is used to people NOT being able to re-sell their games. This could be their way of coaxing people into locking their PS3 games to Steam as well. Time will tell, I suppose.

[quote name='Velo214']my pc isnt game worthy. can i sell the pc copy or code or is that not possible?[/QUOTE]

It's not certain that it will come as a code. I'm thinking it'll all be done through the disc. If that's the case, tehn the only way you can sell it is by linking your PSN id with your buyers Steam account.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't think the PC version will be a limited time offer, and certainly not just for pre-orders. Once the PSN and Steam accounts are linked, it unlocks the download in Steam. My only concern is if they put in any way to prevent people from redeeming the PC version and then selling the PS3 version. I imagine that would be the cheaper route for anyone who wanted just the PC version of the game.

edit: see, just like the poster above is trying to to[/QUOTE]

Probably not; that would require the PS3 version to have some form of online activation, which is pretty rare for a console game. Odds are you can play the single player stuff offline without a Steam account. Each disc can probably be tied to only 1 account, so once you activate it for the PC copy, a used copy probably can't access the online stuff anymore without access to the Steam account it was originally activated with.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's $49.99 for PC..[/QUOTE]
I see you're right. OP should change the thread title then.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Is $5 the best they could do? $10 used to be standard, and many games would get a $20 credit even. Is this a sign of things to come from Amazon this year?

$5 = Joke[/QUOTE]
Better then nothing, i swear kids today are greedy as shit.

$5 = Joke[/QUOTE]
Its already 5 dollars off retail PLUS the 5 dollar credit. I'd rather have 5 dollars in real money than credit.

[quote name='Matedawg11']As much as I liked Portal I really find myself doubting the sequel will be worth a release price buy...[/QUOTE]
Its 10 dollars off though. :bouncy:

[quote name='juanawoman']Its already 5 dollars off retail PLUS the 5 dollar credit. I'd rather have 5 dollars in real money than credit.[/QUOTE]

But Amazon has had many games with say $3-5 discounts AND $10-20 off. Rarely did a game sell at full MSRP on Amazon. It' almost always used to be something like $56.95 and $10 credit. I see that starting to change now

Bulletstorm 57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003H0CC2O/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
SOCOM 4 - 57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002ELCV00/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
Crysis 2 - $57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=802171022&pf_rd_i=14210751
Gears of War 3 - $59.99 but w/ $20 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002I0H79C/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

[quote name='styl3s']Better then nothing, i swear kids today are greedy as shit.
gam.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol.. yeah, it's better than nothing.. tru tru

[quote name='ssjmichael']But Amazon has had many games with say $3-5 discounts AND $10-20 off. Rarely did a game sell at full MSRP on Amazon. It' almost always used to be something like $56.95 and $10 credit. I see that starting to change now

Bulletstorm 57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003H0CC2O/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
SOCOM 4 - 57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002ELCV00/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
Crysis 2 - $57.99 and $10 credit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=802171022&pf_rd_i=14210751
Gears of War 3 - $59.99 but w/ $20 credit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002I0H79C/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20[/QUOTE]

I get the point you're trying to make here, but what's with this sense of entitlement? Amazon doesn't need to have promos of any kind. They don't need to sell games for less than MSRP all the time. But they do. This bonus is worth a little less than others. Deal with it.

bread's done
Back