[DEAD]Rightstuf Holiday Countdown to 12+ 2013 is Complete. Sale items have been archived into this thread. Feel free to use as reference.

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Rightstuf Holiday Sale 2013 is Completed.

All sale items have been compiled into this thread.

Archived FAQ + Wave 1-2

Archived Wave 3, Days01-02

Archived Days03-05

Archived Days06-08

Archived Days09-11

Archived Days12-13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OoS=May restock from time to time, but may not.

Low Stock=Quantity lower than 30

Backordered=Will be restocked

In Stock Currently=Previously backordered

Rightstuf FAQ

Q: Does Rightstuf charge for shipping?

A: If you are a domestic customer (US) and order over $49, Economy shipping is free.  Full shipping details here, http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/customerService/shipping/

Q: How quickly does Rightstuf ship out items?

A: At the beginning of the sales it will be rather fast, but as the sales get going it will get slower, and slower, as Rightstuf uses USPS for their Economy shipping, and just like every other retailer there will be delays.  Generally Rightstuf processes things pretty quickly.

Q: How can I tell if a title is subbed, or dubbed?

A: The title of each item will note if it is subbed, dubbed, or both.

(S)=Subbed

(D)=Dubbed

(Hyb)=Both

Q: Do these sales end once a new one begins?

A: Rightstuf sales all carry over until the end of each sale period, but stock will vary as each sale goes on.  The current waves will all be active until "11:59 p.m. CST on Cyber Monday (December 2, 2013)", although they have a tendency to go beyond as shown in previous years.

Q: If I don't find something I want in a particular sale should I wait?

A: Waiting is always a good option especially if you're having a hard time getting to $49 for the free shipping, however, if you plan to wait on items make sure to keep track of the stock of the item.

Q: If things go out of stock will they come back in stock?

A: When items on Rightstuf get below a certain quantity a counter will appear, so just remember to keep tabs on certain items you may want eventually, but not immediately.  Items do get restocked during these sales, but they're usually limited.

Q: Will Rightstuf ship my order out if some of my items are backordered/pre-order?

A: Rightstuf will generally hold the order until all items are available to be shipped together at once.  Occasionally they may split the orders up, and ship different parts even if it all of it can't be shipped together, but not often.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived Wave 1

Wave 1:

Wave 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering Baccano, but that didn't go nearly cheap enough. Lame! Was Also really excited to see Shiki, but that's still a lot of money for that, too. Looks like I'll probably be waiting another year for that--Funi needs to release it as one set now.

They must really want to clear out Doujin Work. Too bad it's so crappy.

And if you don't have Rayearth, GET IT NOW.

Twelve Kingdoms--yay or nay?
I'd say yay!

I have heard very good things about it. I own (but haven't watched) 2 of the three sets, but I don't know which sets they are. ^_^'
Shadow of the Moon, Part 1

Sea of the Wind, Part 2

A Great Distance, Part 3

It'd be easier if they'd just label that stuff, lol, but yeah, I ran into the same problem before as well, especially when the site I was buying from only had 1 and 3 on sale, and when I got them I was like, WTH! XD Just glad Rightstuf got the message, and actually separated it out themselves by parts, but everyone else, still by title only, lol.

Apparently 2 is the rare one. :p

OK, I wrote down everything in RS's sales thus far that interests me, and I'd appreciate any feedback on whether they're good choices:

1) Arakawa Under the Bridge (DVD Holiday Bundle--yes, I know there's a counter on that one)

2) Mongolian Chop Squad

3) Fate/Stay Night (DVD Collection)

4) Shingu

5) Towa no Quon (Blu-ray)

6) Yugo the Negotiator

After watching some clips of Arakawa, I think I'll get it--I just wish it wasn't so pricey. :bomb:

OK, I wrote down everything in RS's sales thus far that interests me, and I'd appreciate any feedback on whether they're good choices:

1) Arakawa Under the Bridge (DVD Holiday Bundle--yes, I know there's a counter on that one)
2) Mongolian Chop Squad
3) Fate/Stay Night (DVD Collection)
4) Shingu
5) Towa no Quon (Blu-ray)
6) Yugo the Negotiator

After watching some clips of Arakawa, I think I'll get it--I just wish it wasn't so pricey. :bomb:
I say pull the trigger damnit!

Current items in cart:
1.) World God Only Knows 1/2
2.) Heaven's Memo Pad
3.) Towanoquon
4.) Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks

5.) Fate/Stay Night DVD Complete Collection

Other items I was considering:                                                  
Inu x Boku
Night Raid 1931
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Penguindrum

Feel free to elaborate on any of these items and talk me in/out of buying something. Shall I put Squarehard down voting to "BUY EVERYTHING!"?  :D/ 

Unlimited Bladeworks is garbage. The only cool part about it is that you get to learn Archer's identity. That's it. Save some money and junk it ;)

Current items in cart:
1.) World God Only Knows 1/2
2.) Heaven's Memo Pad
3.) Towanoquon
4.) Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks

5.) Fate/Stay Night DVD Complete Collection

Other items I was considering:
Inu x Boku
Night Raid 1931
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
Penguindrum

Feel free to elaborate on any of these items and talk me in/out of buying something. Shall I put Squarehard down voting to "BUY EVERYTHING!"? :D/

Unlimited Bladeworks is garbage. The only cool part about it is that you get to learn Archer's identity. That's it. Save some money and junk it ;)
You forgot it's beautiful. You won't have any idea what the hell's going on, but my God does it look pretty.

Heaven's Memo Pad is not as gripping as Eden of the East or Steins:Gate but still great. NightRaid is interesting, but I think it doesn't live up to the trailer. Great theme song though. Shingu is boring. Decent slice of life stuff, but the sci-fi additions are wasted. Better than Shining Hearts though. World God Only Knows is funny as hell.

Okamikakushi thoughts? I've been looking for good horror series lately. I understand that the creator's 'When They Cry' is supposed to be better, but that seems to be out of print and super spendy.

Anyone know if Rightstuf's Eva 2.22 Blu-ray comes with the slipcover? I ordered from Amazon last week and theirs didn't.

I'd like to put in some recommendations:

Broken Blade - Good for those who like action and mecha.

ef ~ A Tale of Memories - For those who like romances with angst. I personally thought A Tale of Melodies wasn't as good but a lot of people think otherwise.

Glass Mask - I haven't seen this but it's a very highly regarded drama series.

Gungrave - A classic tragedy series. Personally I thought it was boring but it's considered a classic and I see it mentioned a lot.

Katanagatari - This is a series for people who like banter in their anime. And pretty colors. Price seems pretty high, though.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - An assassin thriller.

Utawarerumono - A fantasy action series that is sometimes mentioned as a hidden gem. If I remember correctly, the plot was something like creating a kingdom from scratch, which I found pretty interesting. It had one of those rushed endings, though.

Anyone know if Rightstuf's Eva 2.22 Blu-ray comes with the slipcover? I ordered from Amazon last week and theirs didn't.
None of them do anymore. They stopped making them with the slipcovers awhile ago.

If you ever wanted Tenchi Muyo, get the OAV series now.
Just steer completely clear of Tenchi in Tokyo if planning to purchase all Tenchi stuff. In fact, if ordered by mistake, just stomp on it a few times, then light it ablaze outside your home, and send it off with a prayer...straight to hell.

@refluxx - I've give this a try.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is pretty good and worth buying at that price.
2nd this. It's not a great series, but it has some intertesting ideas in the story. Wish it would have been a two cour series to tell that story a little better.

Inu x Boku - I thought it was forgettable. Cookie cutter story and characters. Not worth a hard copy, imo.

Night Raid 1931 - Never watched it, but heard/read good things about it. Looking for more feedback on this one too.

Penguindrum - Another vote for this being a good show. However, I believe this has been dubtitled. If you like watching anime in Japanese with subs that might be something to consider before you buy it.

I'd like to put in some recommendations:

Broken Blade - Good for those who like action and mecha.

ef ~ A Tale of Memories - For those who like romances with angst. I personally thought A Tale of Melodies wasn't as good but a lot of people think otherwise.

Glass Mask - I haven't seen this but it's a very highly regarded drama series.

Gungrave - A classic tragedy series. Personally I thought it was boring but it's considered a classic and I see it mentioned a lot.

Katanagatari - This is a series for people who like banter in their anime. And pretty colors. Price seems pretty high, though.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - An assassin thriller.

Utawarerumono - A fantasy action series that is sometimes mentioned as a hidden gem. If I remember correctly, the plot was something like creating a kingdom from scratch, which I found pretty interesting. It had one of those rushed endings, though.
I can chime in on a couple of those. Broken Blade is a tiny fraction of the manga. Anyone that gets even remotely interested in the story will be left completely flat and have to go to the manga. I enjoyed it, but with it being so short and incomplete, it's a hesitant recommendation.

Gungrave is a difficult beast. The dub, for starters, is absolute garbage; that really hindered my enjoyment out of it. Assuming the Japanese voice acting is more tolerable, it could actually be a really good show. It's very sad, though. Basically nothing good ever happens. Even with the shitty voice acting, I felt pretty depressed once the final credits rolled.

None of them do anymore. They stopped making them with the slipcovers awhile ago.

Just steer completely clear of Tenchi in Tokyo if planning to purchase all Tenchi stuff. In fact, if ordered by mistake, just stomp on it a few times, then light it ablaze outside your home, and send it off with a prayer...straight to hell.
That's being too kind...

Honestly, as far as Tenchi goes, the OVA is still pretty good I guess, but really it's very much a product of its time and is one of the most anime ass anime series. The Blu-ray of the OVA looks really nice and again it's worth looking into, but outside of that and the movies I'm not sure I'd recommend much of anything Tenchi-related anymore.

I still might cave and replace my Golgo DVDs with the Blu-rays just for consolidation's sake, but it's such a bummer that a show from 2008-2009 looks so blah in HD.

I can chime in on a couple of those. Broken Blade is a tiny fraction of the manga. Anyone that gets even remotely interested in the story will be left completely flat and have to go to the manga. I enjoyed it, but with it being so short and incomplete, it's a hesitant recommendation.

Gungrave is a difficult beast. The dub, for starters, is absolute garbage; that really hindered my enjoyment out of it. Assuming the Japanese voice acting is more tolerable, it could actually be a really good show. It's very sad, though. Basically nothing good ever happens. Even with the shitty voice acting, I felt pretty depressed once the final credits rolled.
Can't be as depressing as the ending to Texhnolyze.The ending was excellent,but damn was it depressing as all hell.

I agree, it has potential and I really liked the premise of the games and anime, but ultimately there are a lot of weird issues that hold it back from being as good as it could be, primarily the pacing and the structure, which works in same ways but really just turned me off due to how slow it is at the start. I actually liked how it ends
just because of all the tension that is built up and instead of a final confrontation, both of them sort of just reminisce and talk about the past because they realize both of them are dead soon.

Can't be as depressing as the ending to Texhnolyze.The ending was excellent,but damn was it depressing as all hell.
I actually found Gungrave far more depressing. Texhnolyze was certainly done better, so it was easier to get attached, but Gungrave had bad things happening throughout the entire show, and the crescendo just takes what little shred of possibility is left and stomps on it lol.

I...actually really liked Gungrave. It's not perfect but I found it enjoyable. Well, as enjoyable as a dark and depressing show can get.

For those unfamiliar with Tenchi, here's the breakdown...

Tenchi Muyo OVA: the original ova. Quite good, with some excellent animation. The story is prototypical harem-fare, but is well executed and has some solid characterization. The stylized sci-fi trappings also set it apart. If you actively dislike harem-style setups, you can give it a pass, but otherwise this one is strongly recommended. Thanks to the rather unique art design used in the series and the exceptional production values, this series has aged very well and is still great.

Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki: the direct sequel to the OVA. There is an intervening time-gap, likely of a few years, but it is otherwise a direct sequel, and carries on the same story with the same cast. This series was released quite a bit after the original, so the production values are much more modern. If you liked the original OVA than the general plot and characters here will be right up your alley. More of the same, but in a good way. Recommended if you enjoyed the original show.

Tenchi Muyo GXP: this is set in the same general story/timeline as the original OVA and Ryo-Ohki, but is more of a side-story. While the cast from the original shows makes a brief appearance, the vast majority of this show follows a different protagonist and a different leading cast. Once again the premise is harem-based, so if that isn't your cup of tea it is safe to avoid. GXP sets itself apart from its predecessors by being much more focused on comedy. It executes the comedy very well though, and there is plenty to like in its more playful take on the Tenchi OVA continuity. It is a more traditional-run TV series, so the production values aren't quite as high as the OVAs, but are still very solid for a TV show. The art direction is carried over from the OVAs, so the general aesthetic is very similar. If you liked the OVAs and are open to a lighter, more playful story and cast, this one is an easy recommendation.

Tenchi Universe (TV): this is a reboot or re-imagining of the OVA, and follows a different story. While most of the characters and the general initial setup of the OVAs is carried over, everything else deviates. This was a TV series from the beginning, so the production values are noticeably lower than the OVAs. The story is less serious, and also generally poorer. This series is more average, especially when measured against the OVA continuity. It's not bad, but it is harder to recommend when the OVA series is available. Give it a try if you just feel that you must have more Tenchi, but otherwise it is safe to skip. I would definitely try the original OVA first, though.

Tenchi Movies (1-3): a bit of a mixed bag here. All three movies carry over the story and continuity of the TV series, Tenchi Universe, and are not based on the OVA continuity. The first movie is actually pretty good, and is easily the best thing to come out of the Tenchi Universe storyline. If you've already watched and enjoyed Tenchi Universe the 1st movie is a must-see. If you haven't watched the TV series, you will be lost, as the characters and premise are given no real introduction. The 2nd movie isn't quite as good, and is safe to skip unless you are curious. The 3rd movie is better than the 2nd, but quite strange. It is easily the most divergent in terms of tone. While interesting in its own way, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the series quite as well. Again, give it a try if you're curious, or just want to see something different.

Tenchi in Tokyo: widely reviled as the worst of the Tenchi series, and for good reason. It is a direct sequel to the Tenchi Universe TV series. Don't bother with this one unless you just have to have more Tenchi. The plot is even more random and unstructured than the TV series, without the charm that made the Tenchi Universe TV series endearing.

Personal recommendation: Acquire a copy of the Tenchi Muyo OVA, and give it a try. While a bit of an older series at this point, the high production values and unique art design help it to hold up very well. You'll know whether or not you're on board within the first two or three episodes. While Pioneer released the original version of this series on DVD, Funimation acquired the publication and distribution rights for it some time ago. It should be possible to preview the series on the Funimation website, if you want to give a try before you buy.

Although not on the sale, no one's mentioned War on Geminar yet. I wonder if the LE box of it will go on sale...

Although not on the sale, no one's mentioned War on Geminar yet. I wonder if the LE box of it will go on sale...
It's not the LE, but Walmart has Part 1 for $30.

It should also be noted how this franchise exemplifies the rise of T&A fanservice. The older stuff (OAV1-2, Universe, Tokyo, the movies) had all the women fully clothed with the only fanservicey outfits being worn by Ryoko, and even then the cleavage is relatively minor and only one outfit even bares midriff (well, except for the bikini episode in Universe, but even that is tame compared to today). There are no panty shots (unless you count Ryoko's green pantyhose thing in Episode 11) and Tenchi doesn't walk in on the girls changing or anything. Ryoko does tend to get naked at points, but only once is it treated in a sexual way (when she grabs Tenchi and brings him to the women's side). Hell, Tenchi Forever (Movie 3) was quite notable back in the day because Haruna was topless for a few minutes. Also, while most of the women were in love with Tenchi, Ryoko and Ayeka were the most blatant about it. Washu was too, but she didn't fawn over him, she just strapped him to a chair and experimented on him instead. Sasami knew Tenchi didn't see her that way, while Mihoshi...was Mihoshi.

Compare that to the modern works. GXP had skimpy, form-fitting outfits with several scenes of Seina either in compromising positions or in lewd situations, his entire harem fighting with each other, and several shots (including the ending theme) of the girls scantily clad or naked. OAV3 kinda kept it in check, while Geminar returns to more blatant times.

I think Tenchi is a classic series that has stood the test of time. Watched th oav when I was 16 and now 35 rewatching it with my wife and daughters. Still love the English dub of the Original Pioneer releases. Third oav with a new cast of voice actors is lame in comparison. I love the tv series as well. Specially that heart breaking episode 24. Made my kids cry :) and the first movie is amazing.

As far as Tokyo and GXP. Never really dug those and watched them once. I'm surprised they didn't include the Mihoshi special in the bluray box set.

I think Tenchi is a classic series that has stood the test of time. Watched th oav when I was 16 and now 35 rewatching it with my wife and daughters. Still love the English dub of the Original Pioneer releases. Third oav with a new cast of voice actors is lame in comparison.
The only new voices were Ryoko and Lady Tokimi, though a fair number were voiced by their Tokyo/Movie 2 and beyond VAs. And Matt Miller's voice got way deeper.

I'm surprised they didn't include the Mihoshi special in the bluray box set.
Luckily I got the Pioneer release years ago, but I would have liked to have seen that on Blu-ray. Wonder if FUNi even knows about it since it didn't air on TV nor was it in any boxset or a part of Geneon's Signature Series line.

And if people are still up in the air, watch the greatest anime trailer ever (even if the actual shows are nowhere near this action-packed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmNRv7yVfk

I noticed that Millers voice was different. I really missed Burchard's Ryoko in season 3. The only ones that sounded the same were Ayeka and Sasami. Even Washu sounded a little different.

But the story itself I thought felt a little flat.

Compare that to the modern works. GXP had skimpy, form-fitting outfits with several scenes of Seina either in compromising positions or in lewd situations, his entire harem fighting with each other, and several shots (including the ending theme) of the girls scantily clad or naked. OAV3 kinda kept it in check, while Geminar returns to more blatant times.
This is very true. I did mention that it was the prototypical "harem" anime. It is a conceit where a young man, usually a fairly stereotypical Japanese young man, finds himself surrounded by a selection of obviously attractive women who are all interested in him to a greater or lesser degree. For another typical example, see "Love Hina." (also on sale at RightStuf)

You are correct about the trend in which the "fanservice" has gone. The earlier OVA series were much less overt. (though in their unedited form they do have several instances of nudity) And the Tenchi Universe TV series was a TV series, and was required to have less blatant pandering. The more recent outings such as GXP and Geminar are considerably less subtle. This trend of increased pandering is not restricted to the Tenchi series, as many recent anime series can have the same criticism leveled at them. As far as modern anime is concerned, I would say the Tenchi series is a moderate or average offender.

I am personally a fan of the GXP series, despite the increased fan service. I appreciate the much tighter focus on exaggeration and comedy. All the Tenchi series lean towards comedic elements, but GXP was the first series to feel like comedy was the primary focus. It's more lighthearted tone allows it to really lean into the ridiculous scenarios that come up. In short, it has no shame. (another reason for the increase in fanservice)

Okamikakushi thoughts? I've been looking for good horror series lately. I understand that the creator's 'When They Cry' is supposed to be better, but that seems to be out of print and super spendy.
I watched that and didn't find it particularly...horror-ish? It was creepy, but in an entirely different way than you were probably hoping for. Don't want to say why because it spoils part of the plot, but the protagonist is figuratively a giant sex toy for all the scary monsters in the show. Not saying it's bad, just....creepy :)

For anyone thinking of Phantom, I thought that was a great show and even if you thought it was meh, for that price it's worth getting. Re-watching it now in fact on blu ray.

BTW, RS announced that they are releasing a Princess Nine box set as well as a Litebox of The Third.
Indeed. I was pretty happy when I saw that yesterday.

Finally, no more browsing overpriced sets for the series. Been wanting to own it for awhile, and now I'll get the chance. :3

Bleh...Well, thanks for all the work keeping this thread updated. The sale has been a major disappointment for me, though. I may not purchase a single them from them this year, sadly =(

Most of the good stuff today I already own. Will wait until Day 13, and then get any stranded leftovers.

I do miss the days when this sale was mostly 65-75% off.

This year has certainly seemed to be rather a bust, and the stuff that I would want I have the same problem as DNukem, and that's I have everything worth owning already. T___T

Come on Day 13, don't let us down!

It looks they're producing more of the anime, which makes me happy since I enjoyed the first batch quite a bit.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-08/broken-blade-fantasy-robot-manga-has-new-anime-in-the-works

It looks they're producing more of the anime, which makes me happy since I enjoyed the first batch quite a bit.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-08/broken-blade-fantasy-robot-manga-has-new-anime-in-the-works

bread's done
Back