Dead Rising confirmed for Wii

[quote name='zewone']Now more people can experience the sucking![/QUOTE]

Holy god, agreed completely.

I tried to play the game, but the whole "hey why don't you spend 10 hours powering yourself up just so you can survive, continually restarting from the beginning" motif was stupid. Fat stupid photographer can't outrun a billion zombies AND fuckers on a jeep with an anti-tank gun, especially when you make me fight them in the first damn hour of the game.

As for this "confirmation," I'm not buying it. How many zombies are going to be on the screen - two?

That might overload the damn system.

I could be wrong because I just got the game last Fall, but I thought the text was only a problem on SDTVs? I' m only playing on a 26 incher and it looks just fine to me. I'm sure it'll be tweaked on this new version regardless.

All I can say is Nintendo is stupid for not announcing stuff like this in their conference. Some Monster Hunter 3 news would have helped a lot too. Its also the first game thats ported from 360, rather than the usual PS2/Cube ports. I wouldn't doubt a PS3 version is in works, since they did bring over Lost Planet.

Geez I just realized this means we'll get a gimped port of a two year old game. And since it's coming from a platform more powerful as opposed to less (PSP/PS2), I'm guessing it's going to be supergimped.

Unless it's like...Dead Racing Karts or some shit.

Which I thought might be fun for a second until I remembered that such things have already been attempted.

They said they're taking into mind casual gamers' needs. Looks like the RE4 camera angle is what they meant.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I could be wrong because I just got the game last Fall, but I thought the text was only a problem on SDTVs? I' m only playing on a 26 incher and it looks just fine to me. I'm sure it'll be tweaked on this new version regardless.

All I can say is Nintendo is stupid for not announcing stuff like this in their conference. Some Monster Hunter 3 news would have helped a lot too. Its also the first game thats ported from 360, rather than the usual PS2/Cube ports. I wouldn't doubt a PS3 version is in works, since they did bring over Lost Planet.[/QUOTE]

What about Rockstar's Table Tennis?

While I'm all for a good bashing, everyone seems really down on it as if it's gonna look like ass. Has anyone even looked at the screenshots?

They're in-game shots from the Wii. They don't look bad:

dr1.png

dr2.png

dr3.png

Looks promising to me. Hard to say from scanned photos - but - I don't know. I think it's doable.

They are going to over clock the Wiis GPU and CPU and they need to release a water cooling accessory for the Wii which will be included with Dead Rising or bought separately for three hundred dollars. :bouncy:

To tell the truth the screen shots above dont look too bad.

I really wish they'd work on a sequel, and not another scaled-down port for the Wii. I wonder how bad this will sell on the Wii, I don't see many Wii gamers rushing to grab a zombie killing game.

I enjoyed the 360 version but only because I'm a devoted zombie killer and the "trapped in a mall" concept is a great theme for a zombie killing video game. It was as flawed as the RE games, and even did RE one better by reverting to a retarded save function. In this case where you have RE's convoluted and half-retarded story, put DR's photo feature and other probs. However, it's still fun IMO if you're a fan of the genre.

My first thought was also, "Wow, 2 zombies on-screen simultaneously." The limitations of the 360 made the game slow to a crawl in many places...it's gonna melt the cute plastic shell off the Wii.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']... I don't see many Wii gamers rushing to grab a zombie killing game.[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by 'many'. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii sold just shy of 1.5 million copies wordwide. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles sold almost 1.25 million copies worldwide.

So if 'many' is around 1 million. I can see it.

I don't know, I don't wanna sound like a douche but - I just don't get this rampant pessimism over riding evidence.

People are worried it'll look like shit; There are screencaps. They look promising. Won't look as good as the 360 but so what? Who knows how choppy it'd run, but I see rooms full of zombies in the screenshots.

People are worried it won't appeal to the Wii audience; Zombie killing games have done pretty well on the Wii so far. Even ports of existing games.

Personally, I hated the first person aiming in DR. Ever play Godfather on Wii? It's not a proper fps and the wiimote aiming is fantastic. I'd gladly take that over the current 360 controls.

I don't want to be a tool but, everywhere I go people are just killing this game for reasons that I don't seem to get. Maybe it's me.

[quote name='dothog']I enjoyed the 360 version but only because I'm a devoted zombie killer and the "trapped in a mall" concept is a great theme for a zombie killing video game. It was as flawed as the RE games, and even did RE one better by reverting to a retarded save function. In this case where you have RE's convoluted and half-retarded story, put DR's photo feature and other probs. However, it's still fun IMO if you're a fan of the genre.

My first thought was also, "Wow, 2 zombies on-screen simultaneously." The limitations of the 360 made the game slow to a crawl in many places...it's gonna melt the cute plastic shell off the Wii.[/QUOTE]

I just think the game wasn't programmed that well. Maybe they were able to tweak it for the wii? Either way, here's what they need to do:

Make it Resident evil 4: Mall. fuck the three day bullshit. Make it an entire storyline that takes place over 3 days if you want, but include the level up system and all the game material. Also, kill Otis and fix the fucking text.

Capcom are masters of the port though. I never doubt their ability to pull one off anymore

Whether the game is good or not is a different matter.

Maybe they could dramamtically reduce the number of zombies to the point that it could resemble traditional survival horror!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be more excited if this was announced two years ago, or a ground up sequel. So like every other Wii game I buy, I'll wait until it hits budget price.

Looking at the scans, looks like the amount of zombies took a huge hit. On the other hand I wonder if that will make the game easier

[quote name='Strell']Holy god, agreed completely.

I tried to play the game, but the whole "hey why don't you spend 10 hours powering yourself up just so you can survive, continually restarting from the beginning" motif was stupid. Fat stupid photographer can't outrun a billion zombies AND fuckers on a jeep with an anti-tank gun, especially when you make me fight them in the first damn hour of the game.
[/quote]

Just because you suck, don't hate on the game ;)

[quote name='SoulReaver']
Just because you suck, don't hate on the game ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey!

My CHARACTER sucked, dumbface! :p

It's not often where I play a game and start thinking about how much fun it would be to see my avatar die.

Capcom did good on Resident 4, Okmai on wii version. i don't see they can't on this game if the control and MSRP $29.99 or less i'll buy it on 1st day. No question ask or waiting for price drop.

[quote name='zewone']Now more people can experience the sucking![/quote]

well said. But everything is always more interesting with the Wii remote lol

[quote name='Strell']Hey!

My CHARACTER sucked, dumbface! :p

It's not often where I play a game and start thinking about how much fun it would be to see my avatar die.[/quote]

I had the same feeling when playing Strawberry Shortcake for the 2600. I just wanted the Purple Pieman to eat her alive... which, as a 5 year old, I assumed was his deal.

Looking back, not really a game, kinda like a crappy slot machine. Though crappy.

I'm looking forward to this, I don't have a 360 and this is one of the few exclusives that I was interested in, so I'm happy to see the Wii will get a port of the original. Hopefully it's out before the sequel.

Like a previous user said, I like the concept since it's similar to Romero's classic zombie film Dawn of the Dead. I could care less how it does reviews wise, Capcom is pretty solid with their horror games, and don't make bad ports either.

I'm not interested in the game, but the whining from butthurt PS3 fanboys and Wii detractors is entertaining in itself. :)

Of course, if Capcom has the MT Framework ported to the Wii, that makes it more likely for more XBox360/PS3/Wii simultaneous titles in the future. Resident Evil 5, anyone? How about Lost Planet?

--R.J.

This was cool as a tech demo back when the 360 was new-ish. Now, it's basically crap.

A little strange they'd choose to put this game on the Wii, now... not sure how they can do that without compromising the graphics and number of zombies considerably.

Why does a lot of people think this game sucks? This is one of the few games I actually beat twice. Sure, the rescue the hostages was annoying as crap, but the bosses were great and the game overall was very fun.

I don't know how well it will translate though. Not much Wii motion compatiblity I can think of, unless they are gonna implement different motions for every weapon (and thats a lot of weapons).

yeah, I don't understand the hate. it was good, but compard to games now it's a little old feeling but that's it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

How can you not like a game about hamburgers?

Essentially, this is probably what Project HAMMER would've been like I bet.

I actually thought the game was kinda fun but I couldn't figure out what the hell to do after the first hour or so. You'd think the PS3 would seem like a more reasonable platform as it'd be cheaper to port and less of a financial risk.:roll:

This is more of a shock then Final Fantasy to the 360. Holy crap.
If they somehow pull this off and it works out better, I would take the Wii version over the 360 even though I already own it on 360. Never thought that would happen.

I just don't see Dead Rising selling on the Wii. It just doesn't identify with the Wii's present audience - unless grandma likes to chop up zombies.

Perhaps Act II of Nintendo's plan is to port over successful M-rated titles to keep some people content?

[quote name='chasemurata'] I just don't see Dead Rising selling on the Wii. It just doesn't identify with the Wii's present audience - unless grandma likes to chop up zombies.

Perhaps Act II of Nintendo's plan is to port over successful M-rated titles to keep some people content?
[/quote]
Part of Capcom's justification of this port is that RE4 sold to quite a few grandmas. 1.25M of them. They also bought 1.05M units of Umbrella Chronicles, which exceeds their original sales expectations by 50%. Who knew those elderly loved shooting zombies so much?

Meanwhile, Dead Rising's lifetime worldwide sales on 360 currently sits at 1.4M.

Lets look at the rest of Capcom's Wii Library (present and planned[Japan]):

* Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
* Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
* Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
* Sengoku Basara 2
* Sengoku Basara X
* Ōkami
* We Love Golf!
* Resident Evil Zero

Upcoming

* Spyborgs
* Monster Hunter 3

The only casual games are Spyborgs and MAYBE We Love Golf.

Let me be clear on one thing, just in case. I was critical of this game's concept when it was on the 360, and that situation hasnt changed.

Dead Rising was the one game that I would get if I had a XBox 360. I played this game all the time on my roommate's 360 freshmen year. It is a fun, challenging game that has a unique approach to other zombie games. I am personally excited this is coming out for the Wii and I will definitely buy it unless Capcom really messes it up.

I can't wait!! :D

[quote name='Chacrana']I can't understand this. Dr. Mario Kart, can you kick me a graph to help me make sense of all this :cry:[/quote]
Why is anyone surprised when Capcom acts like Capcom.

This is the company that has ports of DMC3 and RE4 on cell phones. Not wholly different games with different names like Ubisoft does. Actual ports with 3D and everything.

[quote name='Strell']Fat stupid photographer can't outrun a billion zombies AND fuckers on a jeep with an anti-tank gun, especially when you make me fight them in the first damn hour of the game.
[/quote]

Even though your speed does get upgraded through levels later on.. the "photog" has a limp ever since he landed from the helicopter. Just watch how he runs... I laughed a few times after I noticed it... Or maybe it just looks like a limp... Been like 6 months since I played it.

New info:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168849

We heard Wednesday that Dead Rising, one of the more memorable sandbox games on the Xbox 360, is coming to the Wii, but now we've got further details on the game translated directly from the Famitsu article that made the revelation. The new port, called Dead Rising: Zombie Sacrifice in Japan, will feature all manner of new features and expanded gameplay -- and as producer and director Minoru Nakai discussed with Weekly Famitsu magazine this week, it's all part of an effort to make the notoriously difficult game more appealing to the casual user base.
As Nakai puts it, Zombie Sacrifice came about following the success of Resident Evil 4's Wii port, which sold over half a million copies in the U.S. despite being only slightly enhanced from the GameCube original. Nakai also saw it as an opportunity to attract a new audience to his game: "The 360 version was hard to get to grips with, in a good way. You died a lot in the beginning, and you have to raise your level if you want to proceed in the story. It's a really fun game if you can deal with that, but I think some of the experience was a little rough for casual users. That's why we're adjusting the game to make it easier to play."

As part of that effort, Dead Rising's controls and method of storytelling are both going to see some revisions. The basic game is unchanged, of course -- you play freelance journalist Frank West as he infiltrates a zombie-infested mall, helps out survivors, and fights hordes of the undead all by himself. The story structure is a bit different from the 360 version, however: Instead of having your janitor friend Otis continually tell you about things to investigate via your transceiver, the game will proceed in a more traditional, less time-sensitive fashion. "In the Xbox 360 version, the story proceeded as time passed, and you'd get messages about how there are survivors at this or that location that you should check out," Nakai told Famitsu. "With this version, that aspect of the game is now treated as a series of submissions. As you advance through the main story, Otis will give you three or four submissions at once; when you finish those, the main scenario advances. This results in us being able to put a lot more story volume to the game."

In addition to a revised story structure, the Wii version of Dead Rising will feature new enemies and items, as well as a behind-the-shoulder camera system modeled after Resident Evil 4's. (Nakai noted that Frank won't be able to take photographs of things in the Wii version because that system doesn't work very well with this new camera.) This being a Wii port, of course, brand-new motion controls are naturally in the offing -- you'll press directions on the control pad to switch between weapons instantly, use an onscreen reticule to target enemies when you're wielding a gun, and even shake the Wii-mote around to ward off zombies or swing blunt weapons. "Basically, you use the Nunchuk to move and the Wii-mote to perform actions," Nakai told Famitsu. "You can press the A button to attack with your subweapon, but you can also attack by swinging the Wii-mote. That makes the attack stronger but expands the backswing -- sort of like regular and heavy punches in a fighting game."

Dead Rising: Zombie Sacrifice doesn't have a Japanese release date set yet, but development on the title (which sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide on the 360) is already well underway. Nakai's main goal here, as he told Weekly Famitsu, is not only to retain what made gamers excited about the 360 original, but also to open the game up to a new, more casual audience: "My brother is a casual gamer, but he's the sort of person who doesn't like it when the visuals are too intricate or elaborate -- he gets nervous about whether he's good enough to play it at all," he noted. "That was a very novel surprise to hear that from him. Looking at it that way, I wonder if Wii users are a lot more forgiving about the visuals of the games they play. Of course, we have lots of fans of the 360 version, so we're still aiming for a level of visuals that will keep them satisfied."

[quote name='Strell']So you're a photographer....that can't take photos.[/QUOTE]

I read the part about fixing the Otis bit and was like "Sweet!", then read that and was so confused that I got an erection.

You know that's happened to you before.

[quote name='Strell']So you're a photographer....that can't take photos.[/quote]

Mario is a plumber who never plumbed.

It's for breakfast now.

bread's done
Back